AR15 in Ohio

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AR15 in Ohio

Post by jsriolo »

Unfortunately I have been very busy at work and when I come home I'm beat after shoveling snow! The Jig is done and all squared up. I am currently waiting for another warm (I'd call anything above freezing warm at this point) day to cut the hull panels and make a few more splices. Once I do that it will really start looking like a boat!

Until then I'd like to spend my time preparing some of the other necessities like sails. I am considering the kit for sale here but I have not been able to find any opinions or a much of a description at all. I am sure it is of good quality so unless I hear something earth shattering I will be ordering that soon.

I am also thinking about the mast. Is it true there used to be a kit provided here? I do not have a lot of experience so that would probably be the best place to start if it was available. I am also concerned because Dwyer Mast does not advertise a mast long enough for the specified length. Will they do a one off? How much more will THAT cost?

I am also looking for places to order other hardware. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Finally, could someone please shed some light on the main sheet setup? The plans are not clear to me and I think it might just be easier to put a traveler on anyways.

Thanks!

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Hi. I recently looked at ordering from Dwyer so I'll venture an answer. You can order any length up to the maximum length they give. The maximum, at least for the recommended profile for the SB18 mast, was 30 feet. The prices in their online catalog are "per foot".

As for the mainsheet tackle, I know what you mean about it being unclear but I think it is because there are quite a few ways to do them and usually controls are where sailors customize. Try looking in the gallery. I think you'll need both the mainsheet tackle and a traveller.

By the way, nice build.

jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jsriolo »

Thank you for the quick response, but that's exactly what I'm worried about. The plans calls for a DM-2 profile mast that is 24' 7-7/8" and their longest stock length for that profile is 21' 11-1/8"

ETA: Also, do I add sailfeed? What dimension do I use for sailfeed?

ETA2: The plans call for a DM-2 mast and a D353-1S sliding gooseneck. However, Dwyer's site says the D353-1S is for mast DM-1 and D353-1L is for mast DM-2. Typo?

ETA3: OH, I think the gooseneck being sized for a DM-1 profile is refering to the boom profile (which is DM-1 on the drawing). Is that correct?

This stuff is confusing for a newbie. I don't want it to get here and not fit!

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Those are questions the designer should answer but usually they don't come to this part of the forum. Post them in the "Plans and Building > Sailboats" area and you most likely get an answer ... but do a search first to see if any of them have been answered already.

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

jsriolo wrote:Thank you for the quick response, but that's exactly what I'm worried about. The plans calls for a DM-2 profile mast that is 24' 7-7/8" and their longest stock length for that profile is 21' 11-1/8"

ETA: Also, do I add sailfeed? What dimension do I use for sailfeed?

ETA2: The plans call for a DM-2 mast and a D353-1S sliding gooseneck. However, Dwyer's site says the D353-1S is for mast DM-1 and D353-1L is for mast DM-2. Typo?

ETA3: OH, I think the gooseneck being sized for a DM-1 profile is refering to the boom profile (which is DM-1 on the drawing). Is that correct?

This stuff is confusing for a newbie. I don't want it to get here and not fit!
I would call up dwyer and talk to them on the phone regarding the mast length. The gooseneck will need to fit the boom not the mast. Probably DM-1 its a round profile.

jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jsriolo »

I've been busy...

Last edited by jsriolo on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jsriolo »

So Here is my progress from the last week or so.

Of course, it started with a disaster. I bent one of the panels into place and then when I tried to do the other: CRACK! I put down my tools and decided that was enough for the day. This is after I spent an extra day getting back to where I was before the bending incident.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

All of the seams are filled! Time for a beer!

Here are some pictures of the hull with everything sanded. As soon as i clean the dust off I'll be ready to fiberglass the seams.

Hopefully I'll be able to do the fiberglass soon and flip the hull!

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

That is a nice looking hull. You're making good progress. I'm jealous.

jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jsriolo »

Do not use fast hardener when it is 80 degrees. That shit almost went critical!

Sanding fiberglass is a bitch... Get your friends to do it.

Ready for paint (epoxy+pigment)

First coat done!

"We need better light for pictures."

2nd coat done!

Ready to flip!

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Nice work men.