Rebuilding a legend 202 dominator

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
202 dominator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Rebuilding a legend 202 dominator

Post by 202 dominator »

I got the transom and gas tank pads out today. tomorrow I plan on sanding the last slivers of wood off and get it prepped for new transom . I would like to get the transom glassed in before I take the stringers out. my two outside stringers are solid and the center one has one bad spot the two that connect to the knees were bad at the transom and at a seat support . The hull is well supported but I would still rather do a pair at at a time. All are going to be replaced. I want to order enough epoxy ,tape and filler to get started I have several yards of 1708 from another build .

202 dominator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 202 dominator »

202 dominator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 202 dominator »

202 dominator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 202 dominator »

202 dominator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 202 dominator »

This boat was infested with termites I'm not sure how they got through the resin but they did they ate foam also . This boat was stored in an old shed. I usually only mess with old prolines and whalers but for $200.bucks I coud'nt walk away from this one. I bought the motor on the internet the p/o had no way to pull it so I offered 200. for boat and trailer sight unseen to get it to my house pull the motor sale the trailer junk the boat . I knew of it's condition before I bought it I never thought it would wind up my project.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

For the transom alone, you will need a 3 gallon epoxy kit, a roll of 12 oz tape, 5 lbs wood flour, 8 oz silica, and about 10 yards of 1708. Any leftover 1708 and biax tape will be used later on the stringers. I need more information before I can give a lamination schedule........

What core will you use for the transom? the transom must be replaced first. You will cut back all the stringers at least 12" so that the new inside glass skin can overlap up the bottom and sides. You can leave the rest of the stringers in while you do the transom. After transom is finished you can replace the stringer one pair at a time, if that how you would like to do it.

What was the thickness of the old transom core, also thickness of the old inside fiberglass skin? I can approximate, but I would rather start with the actual amount.

202 dominator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 202 dominator »

I ordered about twice that minus the 1708 I have a lot left over from another build. The transom will be coosa along with knee walls . The back half of the boat will be coosa the stringers will be wood and the floor will be coosa. I'm trying to keep it light as possible anything that is leftover will go into another build (got a 72 flatback waiting ) Got alot done today prep wise the transom skin is clean. The boat had a plywood core between the stringers about 5ft long from the transom got most of it out will grind the rest out tomorow it was not rotten but the termites had got in it and it was wet. will post pics tommorow.

202 dominator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 202 dominator »

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Does that portside stringer looks a little wiggly or is it me? If not that's not good! Image

202 dominator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 202 dominator »

It sorta does in the pic. I was test fitting them in the pic they are going to be dead straight when the glassing starts. I ground and sanded for 8hrs today I'll be so glad when I start glassing.