Mark's PH18 in Toronto

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Mark's PH18 in Toronto

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Mark,

I'm a couple of hours from Austin. I'm in North Dallas. Ever make it further north into the Dallas/Ft.Worth Meto? It would be great to grab a coffee and compare notes. Or maybe some place in between.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

That may be a challenge but I could look at staying over a Friday one time or coming a day early. We generally fill up the days and nights when our department meets from all over North America in Austin, so 2 hours round trip could be tough. By the end of the week I usually can't wait to get back to my wife & daughter....and the garage of course!!

I'll let you know, one of these times I am going to bring them down at the end of the week then we can tour around.

Cheers, will port pics Sunday night of this weekends layups/cutting etc.
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Mark,

Sounds great. Maybe something will work out.

God Bless,

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

PH18 splash well dimensions

Post by MarkOrge »

OK, it may be pre-mature aging or work related stress, but I just cannot find anywhere in my plans the dimensions to those two little "triangles" that form the sides of the transom well.

:help:

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: PH18 splash well dimensions

Post by TomW »

Mark list the page and layout of what your looking for. It will help us help you. :wink:

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Thanks Tom.

On the bottom left of D209/3 it shows them in the nesting diagram.

That having been said, all I REALLY need is the depth of the splash well as shown via dotted line on the bottom left of B209/6 (transom details)

I checked the list of drawings and I have them all, I just can't find this dimension.

Mark

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Mark there should be a pattern on one of the pages labeled as the motorwell sides. Then there will be a pattern showing the top of the motorwell. The motorwell does not have a bottom and extends to the bottom of the hull. The motorwell top will extend up from about 5" below the transom top to the next frame.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

That sounds about right. Perhpas my phrasing "bottom" was not the right choice of words. What I was after, is say you had no motor on the transom, you walked up to the back of the boat and measured from the top of the transom, to where you tape would stop, say the bottom of the splash weel drain holes, it sounds like that is about 5". The transom right there is already lowered down a few inches, it is from that top surface down I am trying to find. Another way of putting it, is if you stopped the boat suddenly, and the motor well filled up from backwash (like on a Triton) how deep would the water be at the back against the top engine/jackplate bolts before it drained out.

I hope I am not making this worse....

I owe you Tom (as usual)

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

OK, it may be pre-mature aging or work related stress, but I just cannot find anywhere in my plans the dimensions to those two little "triangles" that form the sides of the transom well.
Mark,

My plans do not have them either.... I think you design them as you see fit.

Andrew

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

:help: I did a test panel with 12 oz 45/45 and 10 oz WR over a club sandwhich of double 1/2" Nidacore. The WR peeled right off !!! There was resistance, but I managed to peel it all almost in one piece !!!

I thought it may have been due to a dry layup or no pressure to bond, so I tried another panel and made it much wetter, as well as placed a sheet of mdf on it with plastic underneath and batteries on top. It was a little better, but if I tug hard enough, I can pull the 10 oz WR off of the 12 oz 45/45. the 45/45 seems to be bnonded to the Nidacore OK, but also, see the picture showing where the edges of the 12 oz pulled up from the skil saw blade when I cleaned the edges up. You can grab one of these and pull them off in strips like birch bark. Now, yes I was using polyester resin for practice, but that can't be the only reason, boats have been made from cheap resin for years (yes I'll be using epoxy for the boat but not for things like molds and other non styructural/critical items)

What is up ??