Page 1 of 1

Playing nice in the sand box

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:48 pm
by cape man
Not to get preachy but I have noticed on several threads here that there has been an escalation in some of the discussion that has risen to the level of being down right uncivil. I joined here before I started building a boat, and one of the reasons was the extremely helpful, kind, and encouraging words I saw amongst the builders' threads, and stayed after my launch because I received the same throughout. Over the years I have seen on several threads where someone has expressed personal issues which have resulted in congratulations (e.g. new baby, new job, etc.) or offers to assist (e.g. family illness, needing something for the boat but can't afford it). This is a great group of people with similar desires, centered around a common theme - boats and being on the water.

In addition to now owning the nicest boat I have ever seen (okay...I'm biased! :D :D ), I also have met some folks which I hope remain life long friends. I stay around because I am still learning new things, and hope my personal experiences might help someone else. If I had seen some of the back and forth that has been going on these past few weeks I don't know if I would have chosen Bateau. It is more than the details of materials and equipment that makes this community attractive to me and I think a lot of other people. Sometimes it is better to keep something to yourself...

Okay, I feel better.

Re: Playing nice in the sand box

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:15 pm
by Daddy
What he said...
Daddy

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:16 pm
by tech_support
thanks for that Capeman, I was just about to make a similar post and Im happy someone else beat me to it.

Good message boards die this way. The hostility will drive away the good new users and attract malcontents who get some sort of pleasure from being rude. Pretty soon every thread becomes a battle ground for those few people.

I will be going back to our more strict policy of editing, if it has nothing to do with the topic being discussed and does not add value for the users of the forum, it will be deleted.

Spring will see most of this go away :) In the mean time please everyone take a lesson from Rodney King

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHlopjHepEw

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:25 pm
by cape man
Wow...someone must be writing the same material for us! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was uploading a pic of him all beat up while you were posting Joel!

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:28 pm
by TomW
Well said Craig! I have found myself deleting several posts and should have deleted several others. I apologize to all for letting some people get my goat. It's not my normal personality.

Tom

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:32 pm
by Joe H
I'm with you 100%

Joe H

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:23 pm
by ks8
:)

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:35 pm
by Spokaloo
Joel, you need to go down the hall and get right to the root of this thing. Burst through the door, stand tall, and make your voice heard;

"Jacques, the natives are restless! We must release a new set of plans!"

And Poof! All will be well.

E

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:56 pm
by chicagoross
I'll second Eric's request! How long has this been printed at the top of the plans page?
On the drafting table:

- TW 34 (50%)
- small 21 to 23' diesel P21 style
- 33' motorsailor in the style of Nauticat 33

It was there at least as far back as 2007 unchanged. :(

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:22 pm
by steve292
Well said Craig, & it needed saying.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:26 pm
by wegcagle
Thanks Craig,

I was starting to not enjoy the website as much as usual. It has made me think twice about trying to answer some question from my personal experiences.

No reason East coast and West coast can't get along. :D

Will

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:07 pm
by colonialc19
well said, thanks for posting :!:

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:30 am
by ks8
Personal experience is valuable to share. Please don't stop. Really. :) It is worth it even when the personality side, in sharing, or in responses, is bigger than life. I kind of enjoy the person side of it too, within reasonable limits (don't we all?), but the experience side has no less value just because you might have to search harder for it among the person-ality (we've all got one (good thing!), or sometimes two or more?). Alot of self-editing last week. Better that than not at all. :) Thank you Jacques for providing this wonderful sandbox in which we can all learn so much from one another's experiences... and personalities too. :)

I'm blabbering... huh?

I've only known one person during my life whose personality is flawless (no offense intended to all you other flawless people I haven't met yet :wink: ). But as is the way often enough, wisdom is given to us all through the imperfect personalities of each other, with a purposed effective wisdom in that too. Please don't stop sharing your boating and building experiences, or responding to those of others with something of your own thoughts or experiences.

The edit button is there too, just in case. Wonderful button. :)

That was the short version... I figured it was too late now to type about the *gasoline in the face and eyes* episode to illustrate the point... :help:

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:05 am
by kdog
I was wondering what the heck was going on around here lately. There have been a few times where I have caught myself before posting a questionable reply. Just not worth it and it accomplishes nothing.

Well said Cape Man.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:06 am
by msujmccorm
Apparently there was an outbreak of the winter strain of BBV :help: . It causes mild agitation and frustration. Don't worry, according to the doctors it's not contagious and will run its course without major damage. The duration is unknown but we may be able to guess as today is groundhog day.
Thanks to all who make this "Sandbox" a place to enjoy a part of my day. :D :D

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:33 am
by Cracker Larry
Thanks for keeping us focused Craig 8)

If yalls sandboxes look anything like mine, it's easy to figure why we're all mud wrestling :lol: This has been my view for the last 2 months, still raining and supposed to keep it up for the next 4 days, or weeks, or months :help: Haven't been able to use the front driveway in a few months, even Bradley's jeep would get stuck. The back isn't much better, bogged the boat trailer down last week and had to pull it out with a tractor. 8 more inches of rain since then, haven't tried it again. Below freezing ever night...Makes it hard to go fishing...

My apologies to anyone I may have offended.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:50 am
by Larry B
Looks to me like you don't have to go far to launch your boat or go fishing :wink:

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:03 pm
by Cracker Larry
Ya got that right, Larry :help: This is the Savannah River in our yard. Normally about 200' wide, it's 6 feet over flood and several miles wide right now. Still rising. If it was summer I could fish off the porch, but I'd have to lock up the dogs because of gators and snakes. Oh well, this too shall pass :lol: Going to be a good summer for mosquitoes though :!:

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:17 pm
by cape man

I win the high water award! This was after Francis a few years ago. That's the top of the ladder for the slide going in the pool sticking out in the right foreground! Didn't last as long as your's Larry!!!

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:29 pm
by Larry B
Craig, your going to have to build a higher slide if you want to slide very far :lol: :lol:
Man, I don't know how you guys do it :doh: I love the water, but not in my house :help: My house in the Philippines floods if we get a big typhoon, but alot of house's flood with just a normal rain. You can go into house's and see the water line on the walls :help: They just dry everything out and keep on going.
I guess it just goes with the territory as to where you want to live and what your willing to put up with :D :D

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:58 pm
by cape man
That water was still 36" under the house. It's a stilt home on the Alafia River. If I flood in the house, everyone in the county is flooding. Well maybe not everyone... :D :D :D :roll: :roll: :roll:

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:24 pm
by Cracker Larry
All of the houses on the river here look just like that Craig. The residents are having to take a boat the last mile. Many have water in them now, even though they are on stilts.

Beat's the heck out of living in a desert though Larry B :wink: At least to me. I'd rather have mud between my toes than dry sand :lol: Thinkin' I'll go hang some crawfish traps off the porch. It's either that or brave the driveway and try to get to the grocery store :doh:

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:52 pm
by Larry B
Mostly Snakes, Cactus, HEAT. Out here it will either Sting you, Bite you or Stick you :lol: Believe it or not there is alot of living things in the desert. Pretty interesting most the time. But yea it would be hard to go from living on a river to a DRY Desert. I've lived in Utah, Idaho, Calif. and AZ. and a bunch of different Countrys. I like AZ the best :D But I'm sure I'd like it on the East coast too :D You guys seem to have lots to do, and I could sure use my boat more :D

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:22 pm
by Daddy
My dad lived in a little town in PA on the Susquehanna River. Just about every year the river flooded the town, everybody kept a rowboat on the porch roof. Like you said, "where you want to live and what you are willing to put up with" High and dry in Vermont. :P
Daddy 8)

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:11 pm
by cape man
In 1995 we had a very severe El Nino winter, followed by a wet summer. We paddled in and out of the house 5 different times that year. River would go up and down within a few days, but it kept happening about every month or so.

However, I have 5 acres on a secluded area of a river in central Florida within 30 minutes of Tampa and the Bay - 45 to the GOM. Have shot hogs from the stairs, get to watch all kinds of animals living their lives, and at night it gets dark. The lichens on the north side of the oaks are bright red (some of you know what that means 8) 8) ), and the air smells like nature. I'll put up with the water when the river wants to go over the banks.

The Sonoran Desert Museum and National Park on both sides of Tuscon are some of my favorite places I have visited in life, but could never be away from the big water.

Hey, kinda cool how this thread morphed into this...

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:24 pm
by peter-curacao
Larry B wrote: Image
:P He when were you photographing from my backyard ? :doh:

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:44 pm
by Larry B
cape man wrote:In 1995 we had a very severe El Nino winter, followed by a wet summer. We paddled in and out of the house 5 different times that year. River would go up and down within a few days, but it kept happening about every month or so.

However, I have 5 acres on a secluded area of a river in central Florida within 30 minutes of Tampa and the Bay - 45 to the GOM. Have shot hogs from the stairs, get to watch all kinds of animals living their lives, and at night it gets dark. The lichens on the north side of the oaks are bright red (some of you know what that means 8) 8) ), and the air smells like nature. I'll put up with the water when the river wants to go over the banks.

The Sonoran Desert Museum and National Park on both sides of Tuscon are some of my favorite places I have visited in life, but could never be away from the big water.

Hey, kinda cool how this thread morphed into this...
Craig, I have Coyotes, javelinas, bobcats and Eagles here at my place. We listen to the Coyotes everynight and watch the javelina in the morning tearing up our plants :x Bobcats not too much, and a few Eagles on the hill.
I'll bet your place is beautiful at night, maybe someday I can visit, at low tide :wink:

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:30 pm
by Spokaloo
1996 El Nino winter in my hometown had us moving all of our possessions from the main floor to the top floor. What makes this strange is how far above flood stage our house was...

Water level crested 2 feet lower than our front door. Highest water level was 46 (yes, forty six) feet above FLOOD stage on the mighty Willamette river. Luckily our door was at 48 feet.

El Nino years are crazy. Having one right now, its 46 outside in Spokane today, where we should be under about a foot of snow and hovering between the high 20s daytime and teens at night.

E

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:19 pm
by Joe H
My sandbox is frozen right now, but that can't stop me from playing in it. :lol:

Joe H

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:23 pm
by cape man
Now see Joe...that just aint right. I mean what are you guys thinking up there?

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:43 pm
by Cracker Larry
Joe, you ain't right 8O No take that back. You're nuts! You called me crazy for taking you through Boca Grande pass in my boat :?: Heck it was warm and perfectly sane compared to that! And the water was liquid like it's supposed to be. You got to be nuts, meant in the friendliest sort of way of course :lol: I'd never leave the house, Heck if I got out there, I'd never leave that tent to try for the house :help: I'd call a MAYDAY, send the heated chopper for my Cracker @ss :lol:
I'll put up with the water when the river wants to go over the banks.
Me too 8) It's needs to do this sometimes, and we've been long over due. A year ago we were worried about forest fires and having drinking water, I think that's solved for a while :D It's just a nuisance, not a real problem. I can deal with about anything except all that snow. He calls me crazy :doh:
Hey, when were you photographing from my backyard ?
It looks just like your islands Peter, you just don't have the rattlesnakes :lol: And he doesn't have topless beaches. Hmmm...

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:05 pm
by Aripeka Angler
To all....

I would like to express my regret over my recent sarcastic and distasteful remarks that I made on the Dry Sump thread. Even though I might THINK I have something constructive to add to a thread, if the presentation is not genuine and constructive then it is a wasted effort. I should add that my own experience with boats in my area might not relate to conditions another builder might expect in his area. I will strive in the future to temper my remarks and try to post in a more respectful manner. Also,for the record, I never commented on the locked thread even once.

For my comments, I apologize to Eric and his friend PJ, with no conditions. I have met a bunch of fine builders here during my help with organizing the Southeastern Boat Meets. Don't want to lose these fine friends because of stupid comments....

Richard

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:23 pm
by Larry B
Cracker Larry wrote:
It looks just like your islands Peter, you just don't have the rattlesnakes :lol: And he doesn't have topless beaches. Hmmm...
And he don't have the Saguaro Cactus, Topless Beachs :doh: Yea your right, I have to drive a couple hours to Havasu to see the topless ladies or Mexico a few more hours South :D :D :D :D Or to Calif. they have topless, No they have total nude :D :D :D Down in Bowmovements area :D :D

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:25 pm
by Larry B
Aripeka Angler wrote:To all....

I would like to express my regret over my recent sarcastic and distasteful remarks that I made on the Dry Sump thread. Even though I might THINK I have something constructive to add to a thread, if the presentation is not genuine and constructive then it is a wasted effort. I should add that my own experience with boats in my area might not relate to conditions another builder might expect in his area. I will strive in the future to temper my remarks and try to post in a more respectful manner. Also,for the record, I never commented on the locked thread even once.

For my comments, I apologize to Eric and his friend PJ, with no conditions. I have met a bunch of fine builders here during my help with organizing the Southeastern Boat Meets. Don't want to lose these fine friends because of stupid comments....

Richard
I don't think I would worry about it. I didn't read what you said, but still wouldn't worry about it. At least your smart enough to know when you said something stupid :doh: I'm not smart enough to know when I say something stupid :doh:

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 pm
by peter-curacao
Larry B wrote:And he don't have the Saguaro Cactus, Top
I'm not knowing anything about cactus's so I Googled a picture It looks like we have them not sure though they are the same, they look the same, over here they make soup of them maybe they don't taste the same? :P

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:46 pm
by Joe H
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe H

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:48 pm
by Spokaloo
AA, no apology necessary. I actually kinda think the coastal rivalry thing is fun and funny, as long as guys realize that its just that, poking fun. We all have big waters, and no matter whether its this forum, other forums, or just a group of anglers stumbling around some dock anywhere in the world, our home waters are always bigger and badder than someone else's.

Did you ever hear anyone talk about how it wasn't as hot or it wasn't as cold, not as much snow, or how mild things are at their own place? The extremes are what people define themselves on.

E

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:50 pm
by gk108
Maybe that's Joe's secret, a thermos of hot cactus soup. :lol:

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:53 pm
by peter-curacao
Spokaloo wrote: our home waters are always bigger and badder than someone else's.
Jeez I really wish they weren't :P
Spokaloo wrote:Did you ever hear anyone talk about how it wasn't as hot or it wasn't as cold, not as much snow, or how mild things are at their own place? The extremes are what people define themselves on. E
There's a remedy for that you know! come live over here :P it's always the same , sun & wind :|

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:55 pm
by peter-curacao
gk108 wrote:Maybe that's Joe's secret, a thermos of hot cactus soup. :lol:
You've ever seen cactus soup? it's like slurping snot Image

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:06 pm
by Larry B
peter-curacao wrote:
I'm not knowing anything about cactus's so I Googled a picture It looks like we have them not sure though they are the same, they look the same, over here they make soup of them maybe they don't taste the same? :P
And this is why I know you don't have Saguaro Cactus :wink: :
Saguaro cacti, Carnegiea gigantea, only grow in the Sonoran Desert. However, they do not grow in all parts of the Sonoran Desert. This map represents the range of the Sonoran Desert (crosshatch) with an overlay of the range of the saguaro cactus (solid). The range of the saguaro is limited by freezing temperatures in winter.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:12 pm
by peter-curacao
Larry B wrote:
peter-curacao wrote:
And this is why I know you don't have Saguaro Cactus :wink: :
Saguaro cacti, Carnegiea gigantea, only grow in the Sonoran Desert. However, they do not grow in all parts of the Sonoran Desert. This map represents the range of the Sonoran Desert (crosshatch) with an overlay of the range of the saguaro cactus (solid). The range of the saguaro is limited by freezing temperatures in winter.
Okay then probably we have the CuraƧao cactus, you have those? :P

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:29 pm
by Cracker Larry
Peter's ABC islands do have a fine crop of cactus. I'll be lazy and use somebody else's pictures. Easier than finding mine :lol:

My islands only have prickly pear and spanish bayonet. I'm glad :D

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:36 pm
by peter-curacao
Cracker Larry wrote:Image
Thanks Larry you see that front row? that's like a "natural" fence, probably the keep in or out goats, people and or farmers tighten two iron wires and put those cactus's cris cros between them, but youv've probably saw/knew that Image

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:14 pm
by Larry B
peter-curacao wrote:
Cracker Larry wrote:Image
Thanks Larry you see that front row? that's like a "natural" fence, probably the keep in or out goats, people and or farmers tighten two iron wires and put those cactus's cris cros between them, but youv've probably saw/knew that Image
Thats Pretty Right There :D The Saguaro only grows 1" a year, so probably wouldn't be good for a fence if you wanted it this century :wink:

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:02 pm
by Cracker Larry
The Saguaro only grows 1" a year, so probably wouldn't be good for a fence if you wanted it this century
Some people are more patient than others :lol: We do have another type of cactus plant here, and I think probably in Curacao too that's called a Century Plant. It only blooms once in a hundred years or so. Then it dies :( A very widespread variety of Agave, it's used to make Tequila and some Mexican beers, jelly and soup too. The plant isn't too spectacular but the flower stalks shoot 40 feet in the air 8)

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:05 pm
by Bowmovement
Larry B wrote:
Cracker Larry wrote:
And he don't have the Saguaro Cactus, Topless Beachs :doh: Yea your right, I have to drive a couple hours to Havasu to see the topless ladies or Mexico a few more hours South :D :D :D :D Or to Calif. they have topless, No they have total nude :D :D :D Down in Bowmovements area :D :D

Blacks Beach in La Jolla. I have never been and dont really want too. From what I have been told they aint all California Girls down there. A bunch of over wieght old men. Dont get me wrong, I aint got nothing against them, but I dont want to know all there business.

Matt

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:39 pm
by Larry B
Bowmovement wrote:

Blacks Beach in La Jolla. I have never been and dont really want too. From what I have been told they aint all California Girls down there. A bunch of over wieght old men. Dont get me wrong, I aint got nothing against them, but I dont want to know all there business.

Matt
I went about 15 years ago when the girls were younger :D Have to admit there were some beauties :D I couldn't make the trek down the mountain now. It is one steep cliff :help: but if I went now, I'd be one of those old men your talking about :wink:
Oh and btw, this is on topic as I'm talking about the beach and it has Sand, and I'm playing nice :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:13 pm
by cape man
Since we got all the way to nude beaches, I think this posting has done its job. What a whacky great group this is.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:05 am
by macs
Way to go Craig for saying what needed to be said. My dad said "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything"

Let's keep it possitive.

Macs :)

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:34 pm
by Spokaloo
Nude beach?

They were lovely in Croatia, though it seemed only the Germans used them...

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:52 pm
by peter-curacao
Spokaloo wrote:Nude beach?
They were lovely in Croatia, though it seemed only the Germans used them...
Why ? were they al digging holes to sunbath in? Image

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:44 pm
by bbuckl
Sunbathing - in the shade!

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:38 pm
by tobolamr
I think I musta missed something here... I've never seen this group be anything BUT great! I'll just keep seeing the greatness! :D