Need material list

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
yawningbull
New Poster
New Poster

Need material list

Post by yawningbull »

I am planning on building my first boat. It is very small. Its not a Bateau boat and not stitch and glue. I need advice on how much resin and fiber cloth I need and anything else you can think of to purchase from Boat Builder Central. Can I post the plans here or is there an email address? I just want to get the hang of fiberglass and epoxy resin etc. before tackling a larger project.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Need material list

Post by gstanfield »

I would imagin that the people you got the plans from would have a Bill of Materials (BOM) you should be able to order what you need based off of that. I'm sure the good folks at bateau will be willing to help out with the materials you purchase from them, but they won't be able to make recommendations in terms of structural material etc as that is going to be up to the designer of the boat.

So I guess the first question is, do you have a BOM?

George
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

yawningbull
New Poster
New Poster

Post by yawningbull »

I have all the wood. I need advice on resin, cloth, etc. I need to modernized the BOM. My plans call for butyl caulking, waterproof glue powder, wood preservative and porch-and-deck enamel. 8O I hope posting these pictures here is not inappropriate. Its more of a motorized 4'x8' raft.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Wow 8O that is kinda cool though. I hope you have a good build and post lots of pics for us to follow. I don't think I've ever seen a boat built from those old popular mechanics plans :) Hmm, for our build we use biax tape on all the seams as well as both inside and outside with cloth. I'm not sure exactly what to recommend, but I do hope someone helps you and you post plenty of pics :D

George
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sds »

8O

yawningbull
New Poster
New Poster

Post by yawningbull »

This is what I have in mind.

Use 12oz biaxial tape on all corners, chines, leading edge, keels, and where hull meets deck.
Tape is represented in Green on the picture.

Use wood filler/putty for keels, where hull meets deck, deck surface corners.
Wood filler is represented in Red on the picture.

Epoxy glue all wood components together with strategically placed wood screws.

Install one layer of 12 oz biax cloth on hull.

Deck will be epoxy resin sealed only, no fiber cloth except at corners.

If I epoxy seal all the exterior and not the interior and apply cloth as described, will the 3 Quart marinepoxy kit be enough?

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sds »

YB, what you're contemplating is far removed from the methods/designs that are used here. I doubt if anyone will want to touch it, or even offer much encouragment. You might get a better response at amateurboatbuilding.com.

Have you looked at any of the designs here?

Best wishes in any case. No disrespect intended.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

YB two improvements, put lightweight 4oz cloth on the deck and any where else you don't have 12oz on the outside so the wood won't check. Epoxy all the wood on the inside so if any water does get inside it won't get into the wood and rot it from the inside out, put 2 coats on.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

I'd recommend that you glass the inside and outside of the hull with the 12oz biax. A "balanced" laminate with the same cloth on both sides is much stronger. Taping the seams with 12oz biax tape sounds fine. Put an extra layer of wide colth on the motor mounting areas, those are under extra stress.

I'd get a 3 gallon kit, you might do it with a 1 1/2, but that 12oz biax really eats up the epoxy, especially as a first build. Agree with Tom on double coating and light woven cloth on the decks.

The above lamination schedule is very close to what I used on my 10' Hickman Sled over 4mm Okume. It's not done yet, but feels VERY strong and rigid.

Fred in WIsc

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

You'll never finish with 3 quarts of epoxy. Get a 3 gallon kit.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman