VG20 bulkheads/Interior layout

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Joey_Marc
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Joey_Marc »

Looking at my plans for the Vagabond I noticed that the detail for the bulkheads show the cutouts on one half of the bulkhead. I understand the workaround: "make the port side look the starboard side", but Mr J. Pipkorn´s battery box and nav locker fly in the face of that. Then I noticed some of the other boats in progress had a strangely similar set-up. Is this something that I will need to develop my own set of measurements for?<br><BR>Secondly, In the plans the cockpit bulkhead doesn´t seem to show a cutout for the berths...which leads me to the question: Is there a permissable size I can cut into the bulkheads before I begin affecting the strength of the system?<br><BR>Thankyou for your time and input. I am not a very experienced builder, and I hope I am not embarrassing myself here.<BR><BR>

Matthias
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matthias »

Hello Joey, you will have the freedom to develop your own interior and measurements, but you may not forget the system of structural fiberglass-seams. You should not cut out the bulkheads more than 5 cm to the sides as you need these 5 cm for the fg-seams.<BR>Matthias
Matthias Krebs

Steve_Borelli
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steve_Borelli »

At my opinion 7cm. is a little bit better...<BR>I glassed with 15cm wide tape, so 7cm one side, 7 the other, 1cm the filletted radius...<BR>=15.<BR>But this is just my personal opinion.<BR><BR>Bye.<BR>Steve
Steve

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

5 cm offset is an absolute minimum. I prefer 7.<BR>As for the "furniture" arrangement, you can customize as long as you respect the structure.<BR>See the pictures at the web site: they show samll variations in layout there.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com