Fishwater's FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fishwater
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: The Chronicles of an FS18

Post by Fishwater »

The Tuesday after I glassed the hull's exterior, I decided to throw on some 4 Oz glass to cover the remaining bare wood. Didn't take any photos as it was late and frankly I forgot...building a boat requires a lot of Coors Light.

I did manage to mix some microballoons, woodflour and epoxy to fill in the low spots in the glass.

A shot with one of the dogs. He can't mix epoxy for sh!t, but he can smell out the most elusive of quail, so I'll keep him.

It seems I've only been able to work on the thing at night, sorry for the low quality pics.

I've since sanded and added a layer of fairing mixture. I'm hoping with another round of sanding, some quickfair, some additional sanding, some more quickfair...well you get the idea, I'll be ready to flip the hull over the Memorial Day weekend. With two of my brothers lending a hand, we're hoping to glass the interior and put in the frames all wet on wet.

I'm planning on another flip to prime and finish paint. My new target splash date is Aug 1...one month ahead. We'll see.

Fishwater
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fishwater »

So, I took a year off. Had a kid, went back to school, etc... life got in the way. Been back at the build for a couple of weeks.

Since I last posted I flipped the hull.

Got the interior glassed and started putting in the frames.

I've left the rub rail off at this point because I'm not sure if I'm going with a flush fore deck or if I'm going to leave the sides raised a bit. I figure if I leave em, it'll prevent fly line from going under the boat. It's a decision to be made soon as I plan on beginning the installation of it on Sat.

New target splash date: a week or two before the Texas meet.

A few shots.

Straps in place to keep the shape. I used some botched stringers with them and it really helped. It had sagged quite a bit after sitting for nearly a year.

Shot of the knees.

Fillets at frame C or D don't remember which. They'll get glassed tomorrow night.

I'm likely not going to use the space between the bow and frame A. I'm debating on whether to foam the entire thing or just leave it empty. I figured as long as it's sealed, it'll give me as much floatation as the closed cell foam. Thoughts :doh:

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

You could leave it sealed but if you run into a channel marker in the dark and hole it up front it won't provide much flotation. It looks like a good spot to put a small hatch and put a light anchor up there and use it to move stuff out of the stern and up front to help keep the boat in trim. Where were you going to put your fuel tank? :D

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

The foam, not only for safety but will keep the hull quiet when you throw down the empty beer cans. In reality for safety foam it.The foam will def cushion the noise factor. Trying to creep up on some reds when they are really nervous will make a big diff.You won't get that hollow sound that really travels in water.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

Fishwater
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fishwater »

Prarie Dog wrote:You could leave it sealed but if you run into a channel marker in the dark and hole it up front it won't provide much flotation. It looks like a good spot to put a small hatch and put a light anchor up there and use it to move stuff out of the stern and up front to help keep the boat in trim. Where were you going to put your fuel tank? :D
I'm considering a small hatch for an anchor. I have some time to figure it out though. The gas tank will be located between frames A and B. That should help with the trim. I'm going to leave the face of frame B open so I won't have to vent it.
stickystuff wrote:The foam, not only for safety but will keep the hull quiet when you throw down the empty beer cans. In reality for safety foam it.The foam will def cushion the noise factor. Trying to creep up on some reds when they are really nervous will make a big diff.You won't get that hollow sound that really travels in water.
Foam it is. Can I mix it in there or will I have to mix it and then pour it in?

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

texastail wrote:Foam it is. Can I mix it in there or will I have to mix it and then pour it in?
Have you every used the 2 part foam before? In once sense it's one of those "let the fun begin" steps in boat building. In another sense it's, "watch out she's gonna blow" kind of things. I don't see how your can pour enough of the two parts together to fill the void then get it all mixed up nicely before it kicks off. :doh: Once it kicks you want to stop stirring and get out of the way. Continued stirring sort of collapses You may end up with unmixed components that just stay there all wet and slimy and not doing anything useful. I'm thinking several batches poured in quick succession, then slice off the muffin top.

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

texastail wrote:Off to tie some flies for the dock tonight.

I found a fellow fly fisherman.

I didn't even know this build was going on down there in Houston! I went through your thread and enjoyed the play by play with the updates. Great stuff.

I would like to try to build this boat sometime after the one I'm working on. Keep the updates coming.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

Fishwater
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fishwater »

Monk,
I'll keep em coming.

Update...the jackplate arrived today. Now I'll be able to drill and fill all holes needed before finish paint. Hoping to have the paint done by the second weekend in June. That should keep me on schedule.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Excellent. You might have mentioned this. What kind of jack plate did you get?
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

Fishwater
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fishwater »

I bought a TH Marine Atlas Micro Jack with a clamp on motor adapter. Picked it up here: http://www.boatownersworld.com/thmarine ... jacker.htm Best price found anywhere. It took about two weeks to get to me but I chalk a lot of that time up to the storms that hit Alabama. TH Marine is out of Huntsville I believe. Not only is the price good, the jackplate is really well constructed. Totally machined aluminum, self contained hydrolic system, and of course all stainless fasteners.