Fishwater's FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: The Chronicles of an FS18

Post by flyfishingmonk »

That looks like a nice one. What size motor are you going with?
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Looking nice!

What part of H-town are you in? I live south of town and work out west...

Jerry
Fishing from a paddle boat...

Fishwater
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fishwater »

Jerry-rigged wrote:Looking nice!

What part of H-town are you in? I live south of town and work out west...

Jerry
Live in the Heights...grew up on the west side though

flyfishingmonk wrote:That looks like a nice one. What size motor are you going with?
I bought a 16' Al semi V with a 25 hp honda 4 stroke last year. My plan was to use the motor and trailer. However, now I think I'm going to have a custom trailer made so I'll just use the motor. If the wife will let me, I'd like to get a go-devil for the al boat and use it for duck hunting. We'll see...

Haven't been able to work on it in a while. I have a free(ish) weekend this weekend so I'm hoping to get cleats in, rub rail finished, etc. Again, we'll see...

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Fishwater wrote:Live in the Heights
We helped move my wife's daughter to the Heights. Off Harvard.

Don

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Hey guy, how's it going? I've been waiting for some progress on your thread and then realized you might be in the fire zone. Are you OK?
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Fishwater
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fishwater »

gstanfield wrote:Hey guy, how's it going? I've been waiting for some progress on your thread and then realized you might be in the fire zone. Are you OK?
I've done a few things here and there on the boat. I'll take some pics and post them when I get some free time. Life keeps getting in the way of making serious progress but I'm getting there little by little.

The fire(s) are well away from me, thanks for the concern. I tell you, though, it's a really bad deal. We are in desperate need of rain statewide. I was with friends last night talking about the situation and we're all praying for a hurricane, that's how badly we need moisture. I'm sure there are guys on the forum who are in or near harms way; the fires are everywhere. If you look at a map that shows the fires' locations, it's looks like the pattern from a shotgun.

Fishwater
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fishwater »

Been a while since I've updated the build. It now resides in the garage of our new home. I've about twice the working room which is a huge help. I was having to move the boat around in the old garage to work on different sides...no more.
I have the rub rails completed and the boat flipped for the skeg, sharpening the chine aft, and then fairing and paint. I'll try to shoot some photos this week of progress.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Fishwater wrote:Been a while since I've updated the build. It now resides in the garage of our new home. I've about twice the working room which is a huge help.
Nice!

We look forward to the progress.
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

Fishwater
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Fishwater's FS18

Post by Fishwater »

So I've put all the frames in, installed the rubrail, have it flipped and have been fairing using an RO sander, a homemade fairing board and an auto sanding kit which has been extremely helpful. A few photos:

I've definitely used and sanded off more epoxy, slurry, and quickfare than I should have but I'm making progress which feels good.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Fishwater's FS18

Post by gstanfield »

Well, it's good to see an update! She's looking good, keep up the good work 8)
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)