78 Glastron T160 Sportser

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Auger01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

78 Glastron T160 Sportser

Post by Auger01 »

I was making room for a permanent tank under the splashwell and I found a transom brace hiding is some foam with the sawzall. Stupid mistake, I know.

I need to fix that and there is also a spot where the sole was tabbed to the hull that has come seperated. I guess I will tear into that section with the circular saw and hope that the stringers are still in good shape.

A little background on the boat, my dad bought this new in 1978 and I learned to ski behind this boat and I have a lot of good memories with it. It has been garage kept its entire life so its really in pretty good shape.

One final question, this boat has been in saltwater so, as you can see in the picture below, the extrusion that covers the cap seam does have some slight pitting. What is the best way to get that out or who can I send it to to get that out?

Last edited by Auger01 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: 78 Glastron T156 Sportser

Post by tech_support »

I cant tell what Im looking at in the first two pictures.

If the aluminum is n good shape, its can be polished by hand or with a buffer. If its pitted, there isnt much you can do other than clean it and wash it off.

Auger01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Auger01 »

The first picture is of the transom under the splashwell. The bolt you see is the lower port motor mount bolt. The brace in question that I need to replace is at the far right of the picture.

Below is a better picture of the sole where it became seperated from the hull.

Ill Post some pictures hopefully tomorrow when I find out whats underneath.

Auger01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Auger01 »

Here is a better picture of the transom brace that I mistakenly cut. It was just a triangle shaped piece about 9" tall. Note the factory air pocket on the bottom. Good thing I found that :roll:

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

go it now, yes that going to an important thing to replace :)

Is that sole soft? It look like it has no glass or any coating , just carpet glued down to ply. Its remarkable it has not rotted through

Auger01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Auger01 »

The sole is actually pretty solid, except right in front of the fuel tank, it is just beginning to rot there. The only glass on the sole is just along the sides where it was "tabbed" to the hull. I am going to try and cut out that rotted part of the sole and hope that the strigers are still decent.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Auger01 wrote: I am going to try and cut out that rotted part of the sole and hope that the strigers are still decent.
Let us know what you find

Auger01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Auger01 »

I didnt get too much time today before my "shop" area got rained on, but I did manage to get the seats and carpet out and begin removing the sole. So far, believe it or not, I havent found any other areas of rot. The stringers I think are gonna be okay.

The above picture is of the middle stringer and yes that is bare wood at the end of it. This thing looks like it was put together by my six year old. Amazingly enough I hit it with the screwdriver and it still seems pretty solid.

Once I get the entire sole torn out, I will post again with more information so I can figure out what I need to put It back togeather again. Im hoping to just put the sole back on and get a little experience with glass and a few more years out of her before I take the cap off and redo it properly.

Auger01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Auger01 »

Ok its time to for me to get serious about this boat project. I have made a little progress so far. I rebuilt the back to back lounge seats using Afrormosia for the bases and Aquatek 6566 for the seats with all stainless hardware and hinges.

Here is whats left of the old seats:

New seats:

I was orginally going to just replace the sole, but I dont want to put good marine ply on what may be marginal stringers so I am going to demo it all and also replace the three stringers. The sole is about five by eight feet and the stringers are about one inch wide. I have also noticed stress cracks in the fiberglass sole of the open bow so I am thinking that I will remove the cap to reinforce it from the bottom. Removing the cap will also allow a good inspection of the 33 year old transom.

Here are a few more pictures of the boat:

I am thinking that five sheets of Meranti 1088 will be enought with a little extra for mistakes. If you could work up an order of everything else I need I will give you a call soon.

Auger01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Auger01 »

Well I wasnt able to get the cap off this last weekend like I planned. Everything is loose EXCEPT for where the splashwell meets the transom. Apparently Glastron thought it was a good idea to apply resin between the splashwell and the transom when they built it. :roll:

I am trying to take it easy and not to do too much damage to the cap, but as you can see in the pictures below, I have already put a good slice in the splashwell when I was trying to cut it from the bottom with my Dremel oscillating saw. If I cant get it soon, I am thinking about making an incision along the top of the transom so that I can pry the splashwell away from the transom that way. The plan is to try and just repair the gellcoat rather than paint so I am obvously hesitant to start cutting any more that I absolutley have to. If anybody has any other ideas, I am all ears. :?: