Semi Dory 11 in NW GA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
dale1956
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Semi Dory 11 in NW GA

Post by dale1956 »

(This note is being added on December 26, 2012) The picture hosting site I used when I did this project has closed. That's the reason for all of the TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE signs in place of the pictures. Here is a link to my entire build album that I have put on Picasa: https://picasaweb.google.com/1127357022 ... ory11Build#
and to one other album after completion: https://picasaweb.google.com/1127357022 ... D11Sailing#

I've begun my SD11. After taking a looooong time pondering what to build (how much I wanted to spend in time and money, use, etc) I decided on the SD11 - perhaps one day I will tackle a lapstrake build, maybe an Oughtred Tirrik. This will be my 3rd S&G build, both previous were small projects as well. A few pics of the start:

Here I've drawn one side and am gluing a butt block

I'm using 1/4" luan (this'll be an inexpensive build) and here I'm laminating two pieces for the transom

I'm having trouble with the frame placements, so I build a temporary frame to do some measuring. Plans say they are marked, but looks like to me the measurements given are after it's gone 3-D. I'll get it I'm sure. The transom seemed about 1/2" too shallow. So I made it a little deeper. Looks like a good fit.

The sheer didn't look just right, so I clamped on a temporary gunwale to get a better view. I'm going to trim the plywood down about a 1/4"

More to come
Last edited by dale1956 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Semi Dory 11 in NW GA

Post by bondo »

Nice work Dale. I like the rail for weight. I also need to check my sheer like you did. Do a search of SD11, above "advanced search" when you have something that doesn't feel right. You might find info that helps.

dale1956
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dale1956 »

bondo wrote:Nice work Dale. I like the rail for weight. I also need to check my sheer like you did. Do a search of SD11, above "advanced search" when you have something that doesn't feel right. You might find info that helps.

I've read some posts re the SD11 through the advanced search. Probably need to do some more. One builder had some of the same issues I did trying to figure out some of the things on the plans. One thing I still don't get is marking the exact location of the frames. I've decided to build them to spec and fit them with a little trial and error before gluing them in. Got one built. Two more to go. I'm also cutting the plywood off at seat level and going up with stock lumber. Never liked plywood frames sticking up above the seats and sticking out like some kind of tabs or something. I'm going to try to get something of the look of this Echo Bay Dory Skiff:

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

I don't know the design of the SD 11 so I don't know, but I would think that you need the full frame for strength.

dale1956
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dale1956 »

I have the frames done and dry-fitted. The bow frame has to have the ply trimmed. I needed to cut it over-size, install it and take measurement for height. This is an interior change. I want a forward seat and two rowing positions.

I also made the frames with some 1x. Like I said, don't like the ply type frames. Lots of angles to cut on that lumber. Took several hours; but I believe I'll like the results.

Boat is level and diagonals checked.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Compound angle, nice work. That looks like it will be a fun boat to sail.

dale1956
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dale1956 »

Since I am using 1/4" luan, I wanted to double up the bottom, so I laminated two rough cut pieces together (used everything I could find for weight - the coolers are half full of water). Was pretty hot and the epoxy started kicking pretty quickly - man was I movin'

I screwed light battens to the bottom to get a fairer curve before placing the rough-cut bottom on the sides. Used some weights to keep it in place and then marked it from underneath on the inside

I cut outside the line a bit so that the sides will actually sit on top of the bottom. When I stitch it up, I will fair it to the line. While the bottom was still on top the sides, I also marked for the 1/8" holes for the stitches.

Here she is with the bottom stitched on

Next step will be the inside fillets, I guess.

dale1956
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dale1956 »

I duct tape the outside before doing the inside fiberglass tape and epoxy. Turns out the fit was close enough, it really didn't matter.

skipping some pics and steps. Here I've taped inside and outside; now I'm gluing on the gunwale. Plans call for plywood. I went ahead and ripped a 2x4 to about 1/2"x3/4".

Here I've installed some cleats for the stern seat. The heavy cleat on the piece of plywood was to straighten it. It had a bow in it because the frames were not exactly square to the mid-line; angle was wrong by a couple degrees. The weights on the bottom are holding the plywood bottom edge of the plywood straight while a fillet on the inside drys.

Might be using some prehistoric techniques here, but I'm marking the sides for the cleats for the mid-seat. Want to make sure I have it on the same plain as the stern seat. Did the same to mark for the bow seat. You can see those cleats are already installed.

I rough cut a piece of plywood to get some good dimensions for the stern seat. Then I used a tickler stick to come up with the difference. I transferred the dimensions to paper, turned it over and marked my lumber. I had already glued two pieces of 1x12 together. Had a 26 degree angle to cut so the measurements were for the bottom side of the seat. Came out decent except for one place. Missed by abbout 1/2".

dale1956
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dale1956 »

Here are the stern and mid-seats installed. Getting really excited. All these little steps though take time - couple of hours for every little thing it seems. I'm up to about 45 hours I guess.

Plans called for a solid plywood frame at the mid-seat. I wanted to leave it open so I can stretch my legs if I'm seated on the sole. I'll do some primitive testing before finishing to see if the boat seems stiff enough without it. If I have doubts, I will add plywood in. I will have a flotation chamber under the forward seat which will add stiffness.

The cross piece at the bow is temporary. My next step will be to install a mast partner and bow seat, then the support can go. Also have to fabricate the daggerboard trunk which will be from the center of the midseat forward; do the inwale, skeg, spars, etc. (not to mention fairing and sanding, and fairing and sanding, and fairing and sanding ad nauseum) Still a lot to do but it's coming.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Looking good Dale. Seems like its going well for you. I know what you mean about hours/tasks. I try not to think about it.