Looking for boat building Tools

Forum for the exchange of boat building tools. Not a classified section, tools only please.
Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Looking for boat building Tools

Post by Knottybuoyz »

PerryVoo wrote:May I know what is the tool that use on when going to glue the plywood . we need that tool to hold it .
Clamps? Sorry, I forgot clamps. They come in all shapes & sizes. You can get away with very simple clamps, rope & a dowel (tourniquet) if necessary. Weights help too, old car batteries etc. will get the job done if you need clamping pressure.

I used to watch my Grandfather work in his shop. He was a tool & die maker for a large company. If he didn't have a tool he made it. You'd be surprised how resourceful you can be when needed.
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

PerryVoo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PerryVoo »

gstanfield wrote:Where are you located? You may be suprised to find out we have people all over the world on this forum. There may be someone close to you :D

Im from East Malaysia , a small town call Sabah.

PerryVoo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PerryVoo »

Knottybuoyz wrote:
PerryVoo wrote:May I know what is the tool that use on when going to glue the plywood . we need that tool to hold it .
Clamps? Sorry, I forgot clamps. They come in all shapes & sizes. You can get away with very simple clamps, rope & a dowel (tourniquet) if necessary. Weights help too, old car batteries etc. will get the job done if you need clamping pressure.

I used to watch my Grandfather work in his shop. He was a tool & die maker for a large company. If he didn't have a tool he made it. You'd be surprised how resourceful you can be when needed.

I found the Clamps on the web .My local hardware shop no sell those nice clamps but only china made cheap quality G Clamps .I might order some good clamps .

Thank you very much Knottybuoyz .

Post by Guest »

I have a steam generator (220 volts) for instant steam for bending wood. If interested e-mail nathangarrard@q.com

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

i would say a tracksaw, and a small circular saw. i looove my bosch 10.4v battery circular saw.. cuts plywood like butter and is great for smooth curves.
a decent drill- preferably cordless , and a cheap router is handy
i would very much recommend a high quality DA sander, festool or the big dewalt. and a shop vac for dust extraction on the saw and sander...
faring boards from eastwood also come with connections for dust extraction . (you will save the most time getting the best sander you can... and the big dewalt and the festool have 2 settings, a RA and an orbital setting... and on orbital they chew 10 times faster)

and plenty of PE cups with lids for mixing epoxy, i like to measure out and store so all i have to do is add one cup to another and have a batch.. and have wood flour in cups too, so you can add and have it ready fast...

and a flat table to pre-cut biax tape and cloth.... it makes it much much easier to work clean and fast wet in wet if you have pre cut all your glass and placed on a shelf

HogWild
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by HogWild »

For Laminating Rollers ( rolls fiberglass over fillets) and other tools such as this order from Boat Builder Central. You just have look under tools then explore the subheadings to find what you want. Fair pricing (often more reasonable)and good people. Other tools (saws, sanders, etc) shop around (Lowes, Homedepot, Kmart, Harborfrieght, Northern Tool Company, etc) sometimes you can get what you need / want on clearance. Hope this is what you were needing and helped. :D
Wood Chips and Sawdust is as close to Potpourri as I get...
Get Me outta here. That Gator's bigger than the boat...
Sometimes I'm Fast, Other Times I'm Half Fast.....

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

HogWild, thank you for the kind comments!! We do really try to keep our prices reasonable and stock the necessary tools for building stitch & glue Boats!! Have a good Sunday!! Jeff

HogWild
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by HogWild »

I only speak the truth Jeff ( except in bars when talking to blondes, brunettes, and redheads, :lol: ). I read the post and think some of us miss understood the question. He's looking for WHERE not WHAT to buy. At least that's my take on it. :oops:
Wood Chips and Sawdust is as close to Potpourri as I get...
Get Me outta here. That Gator's bigger than the boat...
Sometimes I'm Fast, Other Times I'm Half Fast.....

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Guest wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:33 pm I have a steam generator (220 volts) for instant steam for bending wood. If interested e-mail nathangarrard@q.com
There is wood steaming involved in any of my designs.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

For the FS17, by order of importance, I would have:
- a circular saw to cut the plywood. In 1/4" and 3/8", you can cut curves with a circular saw, it comes out much better than with a jig saw.
- a small drill for the stitches
- a sander. Ideally a small angle grinder for the rough job and a DA for the finish
- a jig saw or hand saw for the notches IF you use notches and for the limber holes
- clamps, mostly for the rubrail

That is more than enough to start but many use boat building as an excuse to buy nice tools and play with them.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com