Page 1 of 1

TW28 Stoere meid

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:12 am
by vla
The first real step has been made, the beginning of the build of the Stoere meid (= Tough girl)

It took some time, but just 5 minutes ago I orderd the plywood-kit for the TW28.
And now the great waiting has started, but also questions as:
-Will everything go well?
-When will the plywood arrive?

I will keep you informed

Allard

Re: TW28 Stoere meid

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:40 am
by tech_support
hello Allard,

I have sent you email regarding the kit.

Joel Shine

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:43 am
by Knottybuoyz
Hi Allard

Congratulations on being another TW28 builder! Looking forward to seeing your project come together. Please post photos of your progress if you can.

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:00 am
by TheBroomside
Hallo Allard,

Good luck with the build.
I like the name, the TW28 is a 'Stoere Meid'. It is interesting that one needs a name first, before building a ship. We thought 'Luka' would be a temporay name, but it appears that it will be it.

Enjoy it.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:14 am
by vla
Thank you guy's for the congratulations.

Joel Shine just sent me a mail that he will keep me informed about the progress. Well that's nice but he should not write emails, he should start cutting!
I have a good building place just at the other side of the street. Yesterday I was at the epoxy-shop and we have figured out what to use, the Amercan materials do not correspond with what is available in the Netherlands. For those who are not afraid of Dutch, this is the web-site: www.polyservice.nl So everything is prepared.

Yes Peter, it is funny that one gives the boat a name in such an early stage. I think at has something to do with emotions. It isn't a thing like a car. Yes there are people who give their car a name (Herby (in the movie) for instance). Just the TW28 is to abstract, there are more TW28's, but this one is going to be mine, so I want to indicate it more precise, its going to be a member of my club.

Oh, my hands itch (is that an English/American expression?)

Allard

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:21 am
by sitandfish
vla wrote:Thank you guy's for the congratulations.

Joel Shine just sent me a mail that he will keep me informed about the progress. Well that's nice but he should not write emails, he should start cutting!
I have a good building place just at the other side of the street. Yesterday I was at the epoxy-shop and we have figured out what to use, the Amercan materials do not correspond with what is available in the Netherlands. For those who are not afraid of Dutch, this is the web-site: http://www.polyservice.nl So everything is prepared.

Yes Peter, it is funny that one gives the boat a name in such an early stage. I think at has something to do with emotions. It isn't a thing like a car. Yes there are people who give their car a name (Herby (in the movie) for instance). Just the TW28 is to abstract, there are more TW28's, but this one is going to be mine, so I want to indicate it more precise, its going to be a member of my club.

Allard
"Itchy fingers" means you are ready to do it. Ready to start or more specifically, ready to "pull the trigger". :wink:

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:27 am
by vla
sitandfish wrote:
vla wrote:

Allard
"Itchy fingers" means you are ready to do it. Ready to start or more specifically, ready to "pull the trigger". :wink:
Yes, that is what I mean! Thank you Sitandfish.

Allard

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:53 am
by tech_support
we are cutting today :) The machine cuts, someone else monitors the machine and loads the wood. :)

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:44 am
by Prolece
Hi Allard

TW28 is nice choice. Lot of fun! If it’s not late, visit http://www.bootsservice-behnke.de , who is less expensive epoxy hart supplier.

Regards.
Dragan.

PS
I have to say hallo to Peter LUS.

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:31 am
by icelikkilinc
Welcome aboard..

Try enjoy building her as it is a big and lots of boat to built..

I have printed out all the pictures of Macca, Peter, Yavuz and Cumhur's before I started my built.. It is always good to have them beside as sometimes you wonder around the plans and can't find a solution but a pic is worth a thousand words.
try to read some well documented threads. even though they may be small boats but the logic is the same and you can get some neat ideas.. I did that first hand...

Other than that, if you have questions, people here are helpful and someone will dive to help...

Good luck

Ilker

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:41 am
by vla
icelikkilinc wrote:Welcome aboard..

Try enjoy building her as it is a big and lots of boat to built..

I have printed out all the pictures of Macca, Peter, Yavuz and Cumhur's before I started my built.. It is always good to have them beside as sometimes you wonder around the plans and can't find a solution but a pic is worth a thousand words.
try to read some well documented threads. even though they may be small boats but the logic is the same and you can get some neat ideas.. I did that first hand...

Other than that, if you have questions, people here are helpful and someone will dive to help...

Good luck

Ilker
Hi Ilker,

Nice to meet you here!
I've read your's and Peter's tread and know them almost by hart. I've also watched your clips.
Why is Turkey so ar away from the netherlands. I agree, pics are very usefull. I almost watch them daily. I appreciate your advice, and when needed I know to find you here and ask questions.
I have some expirience in building boats. I built a Sea-mini 21 van der Stadt (http://www.stadtdesign.com/designs/stoc ... _mini_21/1). Which I stil sail.
But, a different boat, different problems!
It is a pity that many pics of Macca are lost, I know there where more of them.

Allard

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:02 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:It is a pity that many pics of Macca are lost, I know there where more of them.
I can fix that Allard. Check the e-mail I sent. Let me know how it works.

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 am
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote: I can fix that Allard. Check the e-mail I sent. Let me know how it works.
You realy helped me! Thanks

Allard

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:07 am
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:
Knottybuoyz wrote: I can fix that Allard. Check the e-mail I sent. Let me know how it works.
You realy helped me! Thanks

Allard
Did you get them all Allard? If so I want to delete that folder.

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:55 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote: Did you get them all Allard? If so I want to delete that folder.
Yes, I've got all of them. So you can delete the folder.
Its difficult to write in a language that I don't use every day. I Hope that it is uderstandable/English from time to time.
It can be so frustrating that I don't have the full exprecifeness(?) of the language, because I wanted to ask you about "Plan-B'
And I cannot write exactly what I want.

Have a good week! And thanks again.

Allard

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:27 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:
Knottybuoyz wrote:because I wanted to ask you about "Plan-B'
And I cannot write exactly what I want.
That's perfectly understandable Allard. We'll figure it out and if we can't try your native tongue and we'll use Bablefish (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/) to figure it out.

When I decided to built a bow shed from Stimson Marine plans I needed 20 foot lengths of 1 x 3 strapping to be able to build a shed that'll span 20 feet. I searched a 100 mile radius (160 kilometers) for a yard that could supply them. I had no luck. My friend had just bought some pine siding from an Amish gentleman and his price list included 20 foot materials. Unfortunately they won't be cutting any 20 foot logs for another month.

My Plan "B" (backup plan) is to splice a 16 foot 1 x 3 with a 4 foot 1 x 3 using fiberglass and epoxy. This will give me the 20 foot length I need. The drawback to Plan "B" is I'll have to make 38 of these to complete the bow shed. I can do 8 at a time and it takes 2 days to do that so I'm in for a bit of work!

Was there something specific you wanted to know?

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:31 pm
by Cracker Larry
Rick, why not buy some house framing lumber such as 2X6s or 2X8s that are available in 24' lengths, and ripping them down to size?

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:58 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Cracker Larry wrote:Rick, why not buy some house framing lumber such as 2X6s or 2X8s that are available in 24' lengths, and ripping them down to size?
Couldn't find any Larry. 16' was all I could get in anything. I've even got one of those "wood miser" blades just for that kind of stuff. Oh well I'll get her done eventually.

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:42 pm
by vla
Good news!
The plwoodkit will be probably ready at the end of next week. Then the shipping to the Netherlands, and then.... All my spare time gone. But that will keep me from streets, prevents me from falling to criminality, keeps the Ministry of out- and in doors relations happy, so only positive things
A nice weekend to you all.

Allard

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:11 am
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote: and then.... All my spare time gone. But that will keep me from streets, prevents me from falling to criminality, keeps the Ministry of out- and in doors relations happy, so only positive things
Except all your "Fun Money" goes into the boat! :?

Good luck and keep us posted.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:09 am
by vla
I really start getting nervous. The kit has arrived in Rotterdam! I almost feel like a little boy waiting for the boat of Sinterklaas ( no, not the American Santa Claus). That waiting can take so long. A few fomalities, a short trip to Roosendaal and then I can pick it up and take it home.

Allard

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:07 am
by Larry B
allard, congratulations. Looking forward to watching your build. Be sure to post pictures :D

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:07 pm
by TheBroomside
Allard,

Great, I was wondering about your progress. Everything can start now. I am really curious about the new CNC kit.

Enjoy i.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:49 pm
by vla
It's going to be a boat! It's going to be a boat! It's going to be a boat! It's going to be a boat!
It is like a mantra.It is a big heap of wood too!
It's going to be a boat! It's going to be a boat! It's going to be a boat! It's going to be a boat, (some day).
I'll post the first foto's this week-end

Allard

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:11 pm
by col555
Hi Allard.
I have been following peter and ilker's threads and now i have yours also.
The TW28 is my dream build but i have to make do with a FS12 for now, but thats ok.

Looking forward to your build.

C

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:45 am
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:It's going to be a boat!I'll post the first foto's this week-end
It's a big stack of wood Allard. 8O This stack has 18 extra sheets of 1/2" ply so it's a little over inflated.
Put some thought into where you're going to stack it while you're planning and preparing your building space. I can't tell you how many times I've tripped over mine. Mine is under the tarps on the lower right hand side of this photo.
You'll have fun putting it all together I'm sure. Keep us posted.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:28 am
by jacquesmm
The TW28 kit is large and has many small parts.
If you have any problems identifying the parts, email.
I have a large folder with a PDF file for each plywood sheet plus some assembly drawings. Plus kit specific building notes.
I try to send them to each builder but if you don't have it, email to the address in your order confirmation.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:24 pm
by vla
I am having a problem with my camera. My camera refuses to transfer the foto's to my computer. Me and my camera are going to have a serious conversation!

It was so exiting to unpack the 2 big stacks of plywood, to recognize the pdf-files in wood, oh yes that's a part of bottom and there the cabin. Great, it was realy Sinter Klaas.

Nick, it would be great if you, the admiral and the SheKon comes to Europe! A better excuse for a TW28 meeting is dfficult to be found.

Allard

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:37 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Put some thought into where you're going to stack it while you're planning and preparing your building space. I can't tell you how many times I've tripped over mine.
I am already thinking about that. The idea is to protect the sheets with an epoxy with a very low viscosity. My epoxy supplier has such a epoxy wich also cures at lower temeratures (10 degrees Celsius). So the epoxy penetrates the sheets and protect them against moisture. Another advantage is that epoxy and epoxy putty attach better.

Allard

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:39 pm
by vla
jacquesmm wrote:The TW28 kit is large and has many small parts.
If you have any problems identifying the parts, email.
I have a large folder with a PDF file for each plywood sheet plus some assembly drawings. Plus kit specific building notes.
I try to send them to each builder but if you don't have it, email to the address in your order confirmation.
Jacques,

Would you mail me the email-address you mention?

Allard

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:40 pm
by Pat4
Hello Allard,

Nice project; building Stoere Meid!!
Looking at your pictures I believe that this TW28 is being build very nearby. I'm living in Hank and I'm "cruising" in the Biesbosch as well.

Have fun!

Patrick

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:54 pm
by vla
Hi Patrick,

No you are not mistaken, you haven seen it well. Just ad "Lage" and you are there!
I am going to read your posts. I want to know what you have been building.

Houdoe, Allard

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:00 pm
by vla
Last weekend I made the first uncertain steps. My strongback!

Not only is the first cut the deepest (Colin Hart) the first uncertain lines drawn on a strongback are hard too.
But it was the first real construction needed to built a boat.

Allard

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:06 pm
by gk108
That's the way to go. Take each simple step at a time and before you know it, you have a boat shaped plywood assembly.
Measure twice, cut once is always better than "I cut it 3 times and it is still too short!" :lol:

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:08 pm
by vla
My story this afternoon.
This afternoon I started enthusiastically to making the molds from the sheets of MDF that went with the kit.
First I marked all the parts on the sheets with the letters of the respective molds. And then cut them out.
I placed the pairs of mold halves together and keel stubs.
The bow mold seemed a bit too hard to start with, so I took the parts of mold b.
I placed the parts in the correct position and to be sure I measured everything here after. But was not the case. The width at the sheerline was too big. I made width at the sheer line at the correct size of the drawing but then there emerged a gap between the two mold parts near the keel.
It took me some hours to puzzle, but eventually I came out. The sheerline of the front molds includes the bulwark, but the on the drawings the sizes are without the bulwark.
So I lowered the sheerline to the correct height according to the the drawing and than the width was perfect.
Building the molds was simple from that moment.

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:14 am
by dc9lk
hallo, Allard...

great to read, that you solved that problem of width in short time!

Would have send you congrats a little earlier, but I was looking at the nice foto Rick sent you in the other thread. :)
He said he already knows the day of retirement but it seemed to me, he is rather activating.

Btw: in Kaufbeuren it started to snow this morning...1,6 °C and 98% humidity...not a weather for epoxy-work at all.
I transfered part of the files to my iPad, so I can study the plans and building procedure for Saudade on vacation.

Wish You very good succeeding with your project, in spring there will be some more tw28 at build-up the same time. :!:

Günter

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:32 pm
by vla
News!

The stoere Meid can move! She isn't build yet, but she can move!

I added some wheels, when I have to S-word (sanding) I want to do that outside, so I have to roll her out.

I have finished the molds, only the bow- and transom mold have te be made.

Allard

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:00 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Nice work Allard. I thought about wheels for my project but I don't have a good level surface to work on.

You might want to get your photographer to work on their composition some more. I don't think they got your good side in that last shot! 8O

Just kidding!

Keep the pictures coming!

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:43 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:You might want to get your photographer to work on their composition some more. I don't think they got your good side in that last shot!
You are right, the other side is the best, but only the upper part. My minister of indoor affairs has complaints about the curve on the lower part of the front.

This afternoon I worked on the bow mold, when it was finished I placed it loosly on the strong back. Why? Probably to remove it next wednesday (next hobby-day), I had to do something, had to see a glimps of the size. Funny what a boat can do to you.

Allard

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:36 am
by vla
Hello everybody,

It was a good day today. Wath I wanted to do, I did. I palced the first molds on the strong back. Working with a laser level is great. My laser projects a horizontal and vertical line. To align everything is easy, that was a good investment.
The horizontal is on the level of the baseline.

I placed the first 5 (front) molds, and yes vaguely shapes of a boat appear.
Yes, it excites me. This is going to be my boat. Not only pictures, but something you can touch.
So a pic of my workbench i action.
In the background the remaining molds. That will be the job for next weekend.
This is what you can do with leftovers of MDF

Allard

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:16 pm
by icelikkilinc
As a reminder...

The way you put the leftover MDF s could be a problem.

You will need to kerf the bottom and side panels during stitching.

After the outside is finished and time for flip of the boat, I was sliding under it with a light and lots of epoxy putty and filling the kerfed areas. That made sure of a much safer flip.

you may need to go inside the boat before the flip so just make sure you have space to slide through the stations..

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:45 am
by Pat4
Hi Allard,

You are making great progress!!!

Are you able to keep the cold out of the shop?

have fun!

Patrick

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:57 am
by vla
Pat4 wrote: Are you able to keep the cold out of the shop?
have fun!
Unfortunately not, I finish the molds and than I´ll tuck her in.

Allard

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:20 am
by vla
icelikkilinc wrote:The way you put the leftover MDF s could be a problem.
you may need to go inside the boat before the flip so just make sure you have space to slide through the stations..
Hi Ilker,

Good to hear from you. Nice to see you still are following the other TW28 builders.
I hope you have had a lot of time to spent on the Berkim.

So far the social talk, now bussiness.
Thanks for the advice, every bit is usefull. I had not thought about that, but I think that I can remove those parts rather easy. They are only fixed with drywall screws. So I can take them out (without a sledgehammer).In the meantime they help stiffen the frame.

Allard

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:33 am
by TheBroomside
Dear Allard,

Nice progress.
You will need to kerf the bottom and side panels during stitching.
In our hands only the forward 30 % of the bottom panels needed kerfs. We did not kerf the side panels. This depends highly on the kind of panels that are used, you will have to see.
It was no problem to flip the hull before filling the kerfs. We also had a frame around the hull for flipping, so this helped.
I admire the effort of Ilker, working with epoxy putty above your head....

It is usefull to be able to go under the hull, occasionally, e.g. to help bending the bottom (see our pictures).

Greetings,

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:53 pm
by icelikkilinc
Hello,

I spent all yesterday working on Berkim. next weekend I am planning on an overnight fishing trip with couple of buddies but the South winds are real problems nowadays.. fingers crossed.

I try to keep an eye on the topics and help if I can depending on the experiences I encountered during my build.

As Peter suggests only bottom panels kerfing may be enough but I did not want to take any stress and went with the kerfing on the sides.. maybe %30 of them..

working with putty was easy. the consistency with the flour was solid and I made sure I was working fast..

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:34 am
by vla
To day I covered up the frames. The Stoere meid now looks like a blue whale.
Besides some small jobs on the transom I have to wait till temperatures are back on an average of 10 degrees C.
See you all again at the end of march, early april. In the mean time I´ll keep an eye on what is happening here, I can not resist that.

Allard

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:23 pm
by vla
Building has started. I bought a type of harderner that works at temperatures of 5 Celsius.
Yesterday I glued the bottom parts together, and today put the bottompanel in its place. I did it alone with the help of some straps. It wasn't that heavy, only the length of the panel gave some problems. But with a bit of swet on the fore head (and a little pain in the back) I succeeded. Its the result that counts.
Whow the first part of the boat in its place. Where is the champagne!
Today I also glued the second bottompanel together. Maybe at the end of this week the shape of the hull will appear.
Tried to upload a few photos, but it worked so slowly, so I stopped, will try it later.

Allard

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:09 pm
by jacquesmm
Pictures please.
I want to see how that Sturdy Maid looks.

PS: where in the NL are you located?

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:08 pm
by vla
jacquesmm wrote:Pictures please.
I want to see how that Sturdy Maid looks.
I have tried it again, but the line was again to slow. I will try it again.
jacquesmm wrote: PS: where in the NL are you located?
We live in Lage Zwaluwe, that is between Breda and Dordrecht. The village lies on the Hollands diep, or the Amer as we call the river localy. Nice sailing, Ooster- and Westerschelde around the corner, and the Biesbosch at the other side of the river.

Allard

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:20 pm
by vla
as soon as the line accepts the uploads, I'll upload photo's.

Okay what did I do to day. Well I placed the second bottom panel in place and I glued the parts of the side panels.
Oh, some advice for other builders who uses the CNC-kit. Mark every part on the sheets before cutting. I forgot to mark one sheet, and when I want to start I had a sort of problem. I could identify the part but it was a puzzle for a moment. At that moment I realised that if I didn`t mark the parts it could have been quite puzzle. Most of the parts of the side panels are more or less square. And than the problem, what is top and what is bottom? left and right are no problem. Conclusion, mark everything.

Tomorrow I will place the side panels, than the Store meid will look like a hedgehog.

Allard

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:52 pm
by Pat4
allard,

Pictures show great progress!
Cruising the Biesbsoch next summer??

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:58 pm
by vla
Pat4 wrote:allard,

Pictures show great progress!
Cruising the Biesbsoch next summer??
Because I'm building, we won't go far. So when I want to keep my hands a few day clean, Yes the Biesbosch it will be! Not yet with the Store meid but the EigenVijs.
I understand that the Biesbosch i also your environement, maybe we can meet one time.

Allard

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:03 pm
by vla
Photo's!

The first bottompanel in the making:

The second bottompanel in its place:

The two sidepanels in the making:

Sorry I forgot to turn the photo.

Allard

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:06 pm
by Pat4
Allard,

the biesbosch is also my backyard. I'm living in Hank.

would like to see your project sometime. It looks great (and huge 8O )

Patrick

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:12 pm
by vla
Pat4 wrote:Allard,

would like to see your project sometime. It looks great (and huge 8O )

Patrick
You are welcome! I'll be working on it most week-ends.
I'll send you adress etc. by email

And yes, it is big. When the stoere meid has rolled over it wil be even bigger. At Least, that was my experience with the EigenVijs

Allard

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:02 pm
by jacquesmm
That's next to Moerdijk, I remember the place now.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:30 pm
by vla
jacquesmm wrote:That's next to Moerdijk, I remember the place now.
You know the geography better than many Dutch.
Usually I have to explain that it lies near Moerdijk

Allard

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:54 pm
by jacquesmm
I lived in Brussels and to sail the Ooster or Wester Schelde or Veerse Meer was much closer than the Belgian coast.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:03 pm
by vla
Well what di w do today. We placed the side panels and transom. A wide panel like the side panel can do strange things when you lift it, it is like a very slow dance, from left to right and back, but I did it. And I started stiching. Not everuthing, tomorrow the "big bend" .

Allard

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:31 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Nice work so far Allard. Watching intently.

I saw a tip on here where the builder was using spacers under the zip ties to help even out the gaps when stitching the big panels together. It was something like this but on the outside.

I think it's in the building notes that the panels should just float on the strongback. I noticed you screwed the corner of the transom to something. It looks as if you have the transom stitched pretty tight. Maybe too tight.

Anyhow, carry on, I'm just concerned. I'll soon have to follow in your footsteps.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:34 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Nice work so far Allard. Watching intently.

I saw a tip on here where the builder was using spacers under the zip ties to help even out the gaps when stitching the big panels together. It was something like this but on the outside.
It are difficult choises. Get the panel in place, but the zip tie realy tight. Or accept a not so nice fit with a loose zip tie. And yes I am going to to loosen the zip ties. On a photo I saw that Peter used pieces of wood between the panels. I think he took them out aand than glued the holes. I think I'm going to do the same. Advantage, when needed you can tie them tight.
Knottybuoyz wrote:I think it's in the building notes that the panels should just float on the strongback. I noticed you screwed the corner of the transom to something. It looks as if you have the transom stitched pretty tight. Maybe too tight.
To get the corner of the transom right and fit I had to use a screw, tomorrow the screw will be gone. The fit is not optimal but it is the best I could make of it. The tension on the two panels of transom is enormous! I made the transom with the mold on the ground, but when I loosen it from the mold it bend a few inches back. So when I had to install the transom in place I had to bend back with some straps.
The fit with the bottom panels is also not quit as I thought it should be. The bottom panels in the middle are one inch or so longer. Well I can live with that. On the inside their is a wedge shaped gap between panels and transom, I'm going to use that gap for the glue. I'm thinking about a solution for the transom zip ties. I agree they are to tight.

Floatin, floating.... with that weight is floating a relative term. Yes it is possible with some external force (hammer Image) to move everthing a little. "...The force is strong in you, young Hammer..."
Knottybuoyz wrote:Anyhow, carry on, I'm just concerned. I'll soon have to follow in your footsteps.
I hope you'll follow me on a short notice. It is exciting to see your dream materialize. I appreciate it when you make constructive comments

Allard

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:56 am
by icelikkilinc
With the weight the transom cannot float. no way.

I have also used screws on bottom and side panels but did not screw them all the way. just enough to keep them float and let the epoxy cure.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:05 pm
by TheBroomside
Allard,

Again, just try what does work for you.
Our side panels were resting on horizontal beams attached to the molds

I do not have pictures in the gallery showing this very clearly, but you can get the general idea in my gallery

We used small blocks at the inside of the seams as in the picture shown by Rick above and small thin pieces of wood (about 3 mm thick) between the panels as you noticed. We try to avoid screws as much as possible, they really can mess up fair curves if you are not very careful.
Trial an error ...

Finally, I was really amazedto see how closely the panels did fit to the mold. Take your time to adjust evrything optimally

Good luck, hope to visit you build one day.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:44 pm
by vla
Peter!

Good to read from you.
Like you, I used beams to rest the side panels on. I had some problems with the fit of the side panels to the mold at the bow-end. I had placed the bottom and side panels and had them stiched. At the bow it was very difficult, I used straps and still I didn't succeed to get all the panels closed and fit. At the bow the bottom panels pressed so hard on the side panels that the side panels bend outwards. In the middle of the boat 5 cm of space between the mold and the side panels. So I cut the tie wraps and with a big bang the bottompanels went apart for a few cm´s and they hang as a rooftile over the side panels.
But the the space between de side panels and the molds was gone. Well what to do? After some thinking, measuring, again thinking. I was sure that all the molds are in the right place and height. I decided to cut the overlap ( about 1,5 cm) of the bottompanels. So I did, and every thing fitted! Everything nice in place. even the bending of the bottompanels went good with some force. So I mixed some epoxy, prepared some epoxy glue and glass.Taped and glued the bow. Tomorrow will be the big day, see if everything stays together. Sorry today no pictures, due to the epoxy I was afraid that the camera would stick to my fingers forever. Ever tried to built a boat with a camera stuck to your fingers?

Allard

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:10 am
by vla
Today I cut the tie wraps at the bow. I feared a big bang.
The silence was overwhelming!
It keeps me constantly surprised how strong those epoxy bonding is.

Allard

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:34 pm
by vla
It was a busy weekend. Finished the woodwork of the hull.

Started sanding. It is a terrible word, sanding. It is the S-word. I know, it is getting worse in the future.

Allard

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:43 pm
by vla
I "discovered" a missing part.
In the CNC-kit their is a missing part, a small piece of the keel. No problem it easy made of a piece of scrap wood, I've gor plenty scrap wood.

I also found out that the bulwark is to short, solution as above.

Allard

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:37 am
by fodrega
Congratulations Allard, I´m happy to see you working on your boat again.
Fabio.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:42 pm
by vla
It is not very visible, but it was a good day's work. I build the fillets between the bottom panels and the keel. Then I taped (dubble) the seams. It took all day to complete.
When I was sitting on the keel, I tought, this is the only acceptable situation to walk on the bottom of the boat and to sit on the keel. I hope it will never happen in the future.

Allard

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:14 pm
by vla
Today I started with the glass and the epoxy. It is difficult to handle those large pieces of tissue, if you need to do on your own.
I'm not completely satisfied with the results. Tomorrow, when everything has cured, I decide what to do and how to proceed.
Probably sanding some parts away (sigh) and see how to solve that problem. Building boats equals solving problems.

Allard

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:16 pm
by vla
Today I've continued to stick to the glass fabric. I wish I had four arms and hands. Then I could hold the fabric in two and stick with the other two hands. I've created a helper that works well. A pole on which the roll of fabric. I wet out two meters of the hull with epoxy, move the pole a same distance and paste the fabric to the body. In this way I can handle the wide pieces of fabric in an easy way.
In the picture you cab also see my first attemt to work with poormans ply. Not a great succes, I think the material is to thin. I have to look for a more heavy type.

Allard

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:51 pm
by vla
Not much to tell. Today I finished the second layer of glass. So still two layers to go.

Allard

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:33 pm
by TheBroomside
Allard,

The advantage of Peel Ply is that you get a very fine texture on the surface and thus very little sanding is needed before laminating the next layer. When using plastic sheets, you get a very smooth, shiny surface, and more sanding is needed before adding the next layer. In my opinion, this is only useful on top of the last layer. Just my opinion.

You are right, for the large surfaces, a little help from some frieds is invaluable. I was lucky, for most large surfaces, we were with three or four people.

You are making progress. One day, we will have an EU meeting of TW28's. All small problems will be forgotten by then.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:56 pm
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:One day, we will have an EU meeting of TW28's.
Wait for me. I want to come too! One of our dreams is to have ours shipped over there so we can do all the EU canals.

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:49 pm
by hooter
vla wrote: I've created a helper that works well. A pole on which the roll of fabric.

That picture just made me realize I am not building a boat but rather a model of a boat!
(Assuming that is 50" wide roll of fabric). 50" is big enough to cover the entire bottom of my "boat"!!

Keep at it! Looking good.

Hooter

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:31 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:
Wait for me. I want to come too! One of our dreams is to have ours shipped over there so we can do all the EU canals.
Well if the EU-meeting is there, I'll come too.

Rick, stop using your fingers on a keyboard, use them on your boat! It helps. When, one day, you, the admiral and the SheKon are in Europe, I'll be happy to show you the Dutch part of the European canals, lakes and rivers. Would be nice two TW28-s on route.

Allard

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:38 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:
Knottybuoyz wrote:
Well if the EU-meeting is there, I'll come too.

Rick, stop using your fingers on a keyboard, use them on your boat! It helps. When, one day, you, the admiral and the SheKon are in Europe, I'll be happy to show you the Dutch part of the European canals, lakes and rivers. Would be nice two TW28-s on route.

Allard
I'm going as fast as I can Allard. Epoxy doesn't cure too well at 10 degs C! :cry: It'll speed up once it warms up. While at work I have plenty of time to daydream and type jibberish on the Internet! 8)

Yes, it would be nice to have all the EU TW28's together in one place!

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:17 pm
by colinhart
Our plan is in at Dunkirk down the canals of france out at Sete. Into the canal du Midi out at Bordeaux up the coast in at the next canal cannot remember the port out at St Malo across to the Channel Islands and home.
Bulwarks cable tied on today on the way only a year or two to go

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:20 pm
by vla
colinhart wrote: only a year or two to go
That is also my perspective. If Rick speeds up a litlle we can have the TW28 meeting then.
(He is not European, but that is a minor detail) The more the better!

Allard

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:05 am
by vla
Here we are,

Colin wrote: Is everybody who is building a TW28 working flat out and not posting progress?

Yes, I work very hard, progress is not very visible, the difference between 2 and 3 layers is not visible in a picture.
Last Easter I almost stuck to the boat, the epoxy cured almost instandly, it was the hottest Easter since decades (25 - 30 degrees Celsius in the shed)
But I almost finished the last layers of glass and epoxy on the outside of the hull. I just have to double the keel.
And then...... it is so good that sanding sounds like ending with an S, so somewhere in the future ......
It will start all over again on the inside of the hull. Oh building boats can be great fun Image !

Allard

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:55 pm
by vla
I worked on the keel today,the last layers of glass. But it didn't work well, it would not go the way I would. So the keel is not finished, still one layer to go.

Tomorrow I'll work on the EigenVijs, that boat needs some attention too. I have to replace a part of the deck. Fortunately I have plenty of epoxy and glass. So hopefully that job will be finished in one day.

Allard

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:49 pm
by vla
Yes! Another phase completed. The last layer of fiberglass is on the boat. What a chore, but it's done.
I am now mentaly preparing for the sanding and fairing and, sanding and fairing and, sanding and fairing etc.

Allard

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:09 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:I am now mentaly preparing for the sanding and fairing and, sanding and fairing and, sanding and fairing etc.
Don't forget the "sanding and fairing' Allard! :wink: I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!

How much epoxy do you figure you used on the outside of the hull?

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:16 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote: Don't forget the "sanding and fairing' Allard! :wink: I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!
Don't you worry, I asked for it
Knottybuoyz wrote:How much epoxy do you figure you used on the outside of the hull?

Up till now some 60 kg. That is only hull construction. I have four layers of fg, 1 layer of biax 45/45 465 gr/sqm than a layer of twill fabric 280 gr/sqm, a layer of biax and another layer of twill fabric fg. I could not find an equivalent for the 1708. According to my supplier this was a good alternative, at least as strong.

Allard

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:29 pm
by Prarie Dog
Does anyone know how many gallons of epoxy=60kg.
Thanks.

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:52 pm
by gstanfield
132lbs :wink:

According to US Composites their epoxy weighs in at 9lbs/gallon so that's be about 14.6 gallons going by that measurement. Depending on what epoxy they use it could be a half pound more or less so that's just a guesstimate :wink:

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:31 am
by Knottybuoyz
Thnx Allard. That's pretty much what I figured. I'm going with a triaxial 33 oz vectorply fiberglass with a 9 oz satin weave over that. That'll give me just about the same weight in glass. I'll need a bit more epoxy.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:51 am
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Thnx Allard. That's pretty much what I figured. I'm going with a triaxial 33 oz vectorply fiberglass with a 9 oz satin weave over that. That'll give me just about the same weight in glass. I'll need a bit more epoxy.
I think that is pretty heavy material! With the fiberglass I use going around the corners was diffucult from time to time, so I am curious how it will work with you.
It's probably better to round the corners first, a radius of 1.5 cm seems enough or you'll sure get air under the laminate, and that you do not want!
If you start rounding the edges, round also the edges of the sidepanels where the bullwark is, is more difficult to do that later. The reason is the same.

Allard

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:08 pm
by Knottybuoyz
it is pretty heavy stuff Allard but it conforms well to curves. It's only a triaxial material. I've got some 22 oz Quadraxial basalt fiber and I doubt it would work on anything smaller than a 6" radius. It seems to be more tightly stitched than the fiberglass. The price was right on the triax, too good to pass up. I've thought about softening up some of the edges on the boat from the beginning. I'll probably do a test to see what I can get away with on the triax.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:29 pm
by vla
Hello every body!

I have got some visible results.
This happens when you sand one side of the boat. This was just one round of sanding and I have already had several rounds of sanding. You do not understand that there is still glass and epoxy on the boat.

I started fairing, I must admit that I was not disappointed. My hands deny it quite heavily. I hope that I can use my fork and knife when eating, without cramping.

Allard

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:58 pm
by Cracker Larry
I'll toast you and your efforts 8) I've been sanding all day and my project is nothing compared to that :help: I can't imagine. I admire all of you who are tackling the TW28s, that is a huge amount of work!!

Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:39 am
by vla
Cracker Larry wrote:I'll toast you and your efforts 8) I've been sanding all day and my project is nothing compared to that :help: I can't imagine. I admire all of you who are tackling the TW28s, that is a huge amount of work!!
This was only one side of the boat, still more (another side, two bottoms and a keel) to go!
But it keeps me from the street, prevents me from going to rob banks, drug dealing, hijacking cars, money laundering, etc.
Fairing is a very relaxing activity, don't need to look over my shoulder, I can stay at home.

Allard

Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:11 am
by stickystuff
You definitely won't be bothered by any company. My wife won't even go in my garage and i am not building anything right now. :lol:

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:07 pm
by vla
I didn't have my day day today.
My belt sander said to me: Do it yourself! So I went to the toolshop to buy me a new one, they didn't had one on the shelf, the next toolshop was closed, my mood was, well lets say sunny.
So I had to work with an old belt sander,which isn't a tool but some sort of a toy. It makes a lot of noise that belt sanders usually don't make. I wonder how long it will work. No I hadn't my day today.
I think I'm going to help Rick, he is using a kind of medicine/bottle which I can use. It is a pitty for me that he's living a bit out of direction. No it wasn't my day.

Allard

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:57 pm
by gstanfield
Tomorrow, my friend, is a new day :D I hope tomorrow is your day

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:44 pm
by Cracker Larry
Everybody has days like that :lol: My R/O sander said that to me yesterday :lol: Switch was bad, so i jumped it out and now plug it in to turn it on :lol:
I think I'm going to help Rick, he is using a kind of medicine/bottle which I can use.
Yep, that's the spirit(s) :D

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:45 pm
by Knottybuoyz
I second what George and Larry said. Hang in there Allard. You've come a long way and what's another day till the tool store opens again. I've pretty much figured I'll burn out at least a few sanders before I'm done! :wink: Next time you're at the pub have a Guinness and send me the bill! :P

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:42 pm
by vla
Well, I'm happy again.
Living without a belt sander was to hard, I felt amupated. It was a lot of money but I bought a Festool belt sander. It works wonderfull. Never thought there could be such a difference between those machines. It is not much stronger, nor is the belt speed higher, but it works super.

Allard

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:36 pm
by vla
Question:
I'm probably overlooking it in the builders notes, but the stringers are constructed of four layers of plywood? Don't they.
I cannot find it. The problem is that the plywood kit provides a different number of parts.
The stringers are made ​​from three pieces of plywood, a rear section, a middle section and a section on the front.
The front part in two different shapes, one for the portside stringer and one for the starboard stringer.
For the rear (transom) part I have 8 pieces of plywood, for the middle section I have also 8 pieces, but for the front section I have 2 pieces for starboard and 3 pieces for portside.
Cutting some pieces is no problem, I can use the CNC cut parts as molds, plenty of rest pieces of ply.

Allard

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:12 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Mine were all 4 layers of plywood Allard. Have a look around, I thought I was missing one too but it turned up eventually.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:44 am
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Mine were all 4 layers of plywood Allard. Have a look around, I thought I was missing one too but it turned up eventually.
I was confused by the unusual number. I will lubricate the Jigsaw, put in a new blade, spit in my hands etc.
Rick are you laminating the panels before plcaing them on the molds? And, how many layers of gf are you going to use?

Allard

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:39 am
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:I was confused by the unusual number. I will lubricate the Jigsaw, put in a new blade, spit in my hands etc.
Rick are you laminating the panels before plcaing them on the molds? And, how many layers of gf are you going to use?
Hey Allard

You're using a kit, correct? There should have been three sheets with the stringers.

I'm sure if you look around you'll find them hiding somewehere! :wink:

No, I'm not laminating the panels yet. That would be nice though when they're all nice and flat. 8) I just wanted to trim out the larger pieces of fiberglass while I have the long table setup. I won't have any other room to roll that stuff out later.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:57 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote: Hey Allard

You're using a kit, correct? There should have been three sheets with the stringers.

I'm sure if you look around you'll find them hiding somewehere! :wink: .
No, I scanned all the panels with help of the nesting thing. What I found was that on the nesting drawings two more pieces are indicated (if I remember well H36 and H37), but not found on the ply wood panels. But it is no problem, I'll cut them my self.
Knottybuoyz wrote: No, I'm not laminating the panels yet. That would be nice though when they're all nice and flat. 8) I just wanted to trim out the larger pieces of fiberglass while I have the long table setup. I won't have any other room to roll that stuff out later.
I think it's useful for as long as you have that long bench, to cut the pieces of fiberglass and roll them and store those pieces until you are going to laminate. Working with smaller rolls works better (less weight!) then with such a big heavy roll, specialy on the side panels.

Allard

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:29 pm
by vla
At the moment building of my boat has come to a (temporary) stop. In the workshop is also the boat of the owner of the workshop. His boat is painted and, therefore, I can not not sand, too much dust. So I have an involuntary vacation.
That gives me time to look at the pictures of Peter. Good work that sampson post!

Allard

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:59 pm
by vla
Although I can not sand, the work goes on. Not the jobs I had planned. I have some work done, where I need not to sand. I made ​​the stringers and a beam on the transom where the swim platform will be situated. Peter (LUS) has made ​​it too, and it seems to me practical solution.
Unfortunately my camera broke so I have no pictures.

Allard

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:54 pm
by vla
We are back again!
The last two weeks I did some small things, not very satisfactory.
Still no camera, so no picks, I have to buy epoxy.
But we started fairing and sanding. One side of the boat takes a whole day of sanding and fairing. So one round of sanding and fairing takes four day's. And that is only one round. I think it takes a few rounds to do everything nice and good.
I'm very curious how the boat looks like when it is rotated. That my next point in the future I'm dreaming about.

Allard

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:57 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Hi Allard

Do you have any pictures of the transom mould that came with the kit? I've only got 4 parts but there might be 5 or do you use Frame I (2 pieces)? I can see how it goes together but which parts do I cut?

Thanks

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:15 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Do you have any pictures of the transom mould that came with the kit? I've only got 4 parts but there might be 5 or do you use Frame I (2 pieces)? I can see how it goes together but which parts do I cut?
Rick,

It are 4 parts, and yes I used frame I to fix it all together. Just as Peter did
This picture (Thanks Peter) shows it all (at least better than I can explain in English)
You only have to cut the thickness of the curved mold out of the quadrangular molds at the hight of the baseline.

While I'm typing I have a strange sensation in my fingers due to hold the sander all-day.
But the job is going well. One side and a bottom half is smooth as a ... I miss a correct English word here.
While I am grinding I try to figure out how I'm going to make the frame for the boat to turn. I have nothing better to do then. I'm still not quite sure.

Allard

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:17 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Thanks Allard

That's a good picture. Your helper there must have done all the hard work!

A picture is worth 1000 words. Thanks again.
While I'm typing I have a strange sensation in my fingers due to hold the sander all-day.
You're hands get "numb" or "tingle" (pins and needles). That's normal. Just do more and it'll go away or drop a hammer on your foot and you'll forget about your hands for awhile! :wink:
But the job is going well. One side and a bottom half is smooth as a ... I miss a correct English word here.
"As smooth as a baby's bottom"
While I am grinding I try to figure out how I'm going to make the frame for the boat to turn. I have nothing better to do then. I'm still not quite sure.
I remembered this picture from Macca's build.

Don't know if that helps. He built his frames for the strongback out of 2x4's (50x100's in Europe I guess) or 4 x 2's in Australia! :?

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:18 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Thanks Allard
You're hands get "numb" or "tingle" (pins and needles). That's normal. Just do more and it'll go away or drop a hammer on your foot and you'll forget about your hands for awhile! :wink:
I hoped you give me an other advice/medicine something like a bottle of wine.
Knottybuoyz wrote:
"As smooth as a baby's bottom"
Hmm, I'll save that word in my growing vocabulary

Allard

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 am
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:I hoped you give me an other advice/medicine something like a bottle of wine.
Well I've had to resort to Guinness from time to time but feel free to substitute your own favorite brand. For medicinal purposes they're all pretty much the same!

vla wrote:Hmm, I'll save that word in my growing vocabulary
I've added quite a few new words to my vocabulary since I started my boat. None of them I can repeat in public. 8O

Looking forward to seeing some more pics soon Allard. When do you think you'll flip it over?

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:41 am
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote: I've added quite a few new words to my vocabulary since I started my boat. None of them I can repeat in public. 8O ?
I've even learned words of which I didn't know they exsisted in my own language.
Knottybuoyz wrote:Looking forward to seeing some more pics soon Allard. When do you think you'll flip it over?
I hope at the end of next week. I'm very curious how it looks, something between a bathtub and a swimmingpool I tink.
Next week I want to buy me a simple camera, so perhaps next week pics. I have to secure the big moment of the big flip.

Allard

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:44 pm
by vla
Yesterday I had a great day. Peter (Broomside) and his wife came to visit us. Not just to talk, but also to see the Stoere meid. Good to talk with a fellow builder. Of course we had a look at the Stoere meid. Peter has made ​en few pics ​and will post them. I still have no camera. This autumn I'll bring Peter a visit, just to see his Luka and I am curious how the boat looks from the inside.
Today I sanded again ....... and then a first coat of primer. It's become a different boat! Multicolor changed in a uniform gray color. The result change a hull completely (is this the product of my hands?).
The next two weeks I go to sail with the EigenVijs, perhaps for the last time. It will hurt to sell her. She was the big father-son-project. So the flip of the Stoere meid must have to wait until early August.

Allard

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:10 pm
by TheBroomside
We indeed got warm reception by Allard and Luppie.
I took some pictures.

Allard and Luppie:

Very high quality work:

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1368

Looking forward to meeting you in Leuven again.

Peter,
LUS

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:06 pm
by fodrega
Allard, she is really beatiful.
Peter, wonderful photos.
Fabio.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:36 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Very nice Allard. Very nice indeed.

So what do two TW28 builders talk about when they meet? Women? Beer? Hunting? Fishing? :wink:

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:58 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Very nice Allard. Very nice indeed.

So what do two TW28 builders talk about when they meet? Women? Beer? Hunting? Fishing? :wink:
When two boatbuilder meet, they talk boat! What else? All the other things you mentioned are so ... eh yes so .... also nice but ... I think you are jealous!!
No, talking boat that is it, it is ...... well it is BOAT.

Allard

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:02 am
by icelikkilinc
When Peter was there, you should have shared one with a friend..

http://youtu.be/4A74pIvxmqU

The boat looks good..

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:25 am
by JamesT
Now thats mine kind of sharing! :lol:

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:30 pm
by vla
Well, I've got a camera! And you all have pictures!

What did I do the last few day's, well the Stoere meid got three coats of primer and I started to build the frame/cradle for the big flip.

then I took a some time for some fantasizing ...., and some thinking. Very important.

Wondering, is it strong enough? Adding an extra support, an extra screw.
I'm going to roll it with the help of some sort crane, a far-reacher (Is that a correct and understandable word? It is the translation of a "ver-reiker")

Tomorrow I'll ad a few more supports for the bottom and remove the last molds. Then she shoot be ready for the big flip.
So tomorrow or the day after tomorrow she will stand is the right position.
I"ll be honnest, I'm nervous.

Allard

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:45 pm
by vla
icelikkilinc wrote:When Peter was there, you should have shared one with a friend..
The boat looks good..
Ilker,

Just drop by and we share a couple, but only the cold version an not stirred (nor shaken) :lol: Then we could also talk boat (its a kind of conversation without many words, so no linguistic difficulties. Its the way the other looks at the boat, toughes the paintwork and the big grin!)

I"m trying to match your Berkim!

Allard

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:06 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:I"ll be honnest, I'm nervous.
Me too! Don't keep us in suspense too long or we might burst a blood vessel or something! Image

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:56 pm
by vla
What a day :!: (yesterday)
In the morning I was told that it would be difficult to turn the boat, well not nice but it can happen. In the afternoon I got a call that they could come at the end of the afternoon to turn the boat. Great news :!:
But I had little time to prepare everything for the turning. So with some help I rolled the boat out of the workshop and taking out the last few molds. I managed it.
And then, the big moment.....

The first part of the turning:

Then she laid on her side, a strange vieuw
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... G_4808.JPG

Finaly she was up right and brought back in the workshop.

And then the first glance inside the hull

What a volume to fill!

Today I didn't do much I Leveled her and I was glad that I marked the base line everwhere in to inside of the hull, that was verry handy.

Allard

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:03 pm
by Cracker Larry
Fantastic :!: 8)

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:30 pm
by Doc_Dyer
outstanding,
congrats looks great
great to stop looking at the bottom of the boat isn't it :wink: 8)

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:03 pm
by tobolamr
Congratulations! That looks like a very safe, stable, and simple flip job for such a large hull, too!

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:00 pm
by vla
Doc_Dyer wrote: great to stop looking at the bottom of the boat isn't it :wink: 8)
I cannot get enough of it. When it was in the workshop again I climbed in and sat at the transom for hald an hour just looking. And it is big, Titanic-size!

Allard

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:27 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:
Doc_Dyer wrote: great to stop looking at the bottom of the boat isn't it :wink: 8)
I cannot get enough of it. When it was in the workshop again I climbed in and sat at the transom for hald an hour just looking. And it is big, Titanic-size!
Bravo Allard. :D

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:04 pm
by wej
Nice job dude!!!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:34 am
by TheBroomside
Very nice work, Allard.
What primer did you use?

Peter
Lus

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:53 am
by PrometheusNL
Nice work Allard,

Boy she's big on the inside.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:47 am
by fodrega
Congratulations Allard, fantastic.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:17 pm
by vla
TheBroomside wrote:Very nice work, Allard.?
Thank you!
TheBroomside wrote:What primer did you use?
I use Poly-Pox Pantsercoat from Polyservice my epoxy and glass suplier.
I used it too on the EigenVijs. It works fine.

Allard

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:44 pm
by vla
Today I did a lot of taping, and filt the slits with epoxy.
Tomorrow perhaps a first layer of glassn one of the bottom panels. I'm looking forward when the glassing of the hull is finished. For me that's a new milestone.

Allard

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:26 pm
by vla
As was described in the building notes, I have drawn the base line on the inside of the boat with a marker pen. Very useful if you are working on the inside of the boat. It is then easy to install all components at the correct height. There is only a problem if the ink of the marker dissolves a little in the epoxy resin :lol:
This is the result:
Here you see the average base line in one point.

The margin in which can be worked has become considerably wider!
Next time (?) I use an ordinary pencil.

Allard

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:10 pm
by vla
Laminating the inside of the boat is much more difficult as I expected. Especially in the bow section.
There are only oblique panels to stand on. In one hand a cup with epoxy and then the with your other hand trying to hold the glass fabric, missing a third hand to for the brush to wet out the glass. With a little luck, you spilled a little epoxy and you're supporting surface becomes very slippery. And that makes things even more difficult. It keeps me supple :lol:
Another round on all the panels to go and then that job is done. Then I'm done with the large pieces of cloth. I look forward to it.

Allard

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:12 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Hi Allard

Did you ask Peter what he did when he glassed the inside of his boat? I was thinking some 3M Super 77 (Spray Contact Cement) used very liberally will be that third hand so badly needed.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:14 pm
by chicagoross
You're at the toughest part right now. Of all the milestones in the build, my second favorite (after getting all the panels set up on the jig and seeing your boat hull for the first time) is when you lay the soles in - no more standing on the vee, hurting your ankles, and tripping over frames! :D Hang in there, it's coming!

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:23 am
by TheBroomside
Allard,

The inside is indeed a big job. It is a big hull (see http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 4small.jpg) We used clamps and tape to hold the glass fabric in place.
I remember the bow area, a lot of epoxy on shoes etc. Not easy...
For these jobs we are lucky to be able to involve a number of 'small shareholders'. This makes a huge difference. The 'small shareholders' stuff is part a joke, part a small token of recognition for all those who help us out.

Regards,

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:30 pm
by vla
Some rare pictures.

Me at work! Just before the nasty part, the gymnastics in the bow.
When I'm done with work and take off my pants, I can put him away.

Allard

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:20 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:Me at work! Just before the nasty part, the gymnastics in the bow.
When I'm done with work and take off my pants, I can put him away.
I'm guessing your pants will stand up by themselves too! :wink:

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. I've got a half dozen shirts with waterproof (epoxied) bellies! 8O

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:12 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote: I'm sorry I couldn't resist.
No problem, I asked for it. Its partly the problem of my limited vocabulary. Working with Google-translate is my escape, most of the time I try to do the writting without it. English grammar is different from Dutch grammar, translations with Google produces strange sentences.
Knottybuoyz wrote: I've got a half dozen shirts with waterproof (epoxied) bellies! 8O
Do not throw them away! I keep my pants for later when the boat is ready (for bad weather).

Allard

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:44 am
by AussieBoater
vla wrote:
Knottybuoyz wrote: I've got a half dozen shirts with waterproof (epoxied) bellies! 8O
Do not throw them away! I keep my pants for later when the boat is ready (for bad weather).

Allard
Now that is funny in any language... LOL :lol:

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:16 pm
by vla
One more layer to go, and then the keel is also ready! I'm tired of sticking those large pieces of glass fiber.
Sunday, I try to fit the stringers.

Allard

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:09 pm
by vla
It is done :lol: . The glass fiber is on the inside of the hull! Now I can conscentrate on construction.
First, I want to see if the stringers fit. So I lifted the stringers into the boat. Some minor adjustments, but they follow nicely the lines of the bottom.
To keep them in the right position I placed some frames (H and I).
Wonderfull sight, I'm doing visible things. Laying layers of glass fiber and epoxy is hard work, but the difference between 2 or 3 layers is hardly to see.

Frame E under construction.

Allard

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:07 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Well done Allard. You must be getting a better cardio workout climbing up and into the boat? :D

Have you picked a hull color yet? I noticed you have a picture from the gallery taped up on the hull.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:39 pm
by wej
Looking really great Allard!

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:32 pm
by Rick
Knottybuoyz wrote: I noticed you have a picture from the gallery taped up on the hull.
That picture was my Windows wallpaper for years until my son finished second in an international robotics competition -- now he gets the desktop!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:04 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Well done Allard. You must be getting a better cardio workout climbing up and into the boat? :D
epoxy mix, climbing ladder, fiberglass rub, ladder, epoxy mixing, epoxy mix, climbing ladder, fiberglass rub, ladder,epoxy mix, climbing ladder, fiberglass rub, ladder,epoxy mix, climbing ladder, fiberglass rub, ladder, etc.
I lost 5 kilogram :wink:
Knottybuoyz wrote:Have you picked a hull color yet? I noticed you have a picture from the gallery taped up on the hull.
Yes, The hull will be a dark grey, and the bullwark bright red. I think the looks of the boat is a workboat as the operate in the harbour, so I want to give the boat that kind of look. I also wants a real rubrail, some 7 to 8 cm wide.
Yes I taped the picture on the hull because people ask me how it is going to look when finished.

I understand that you are almost that far to build the strongback, that's nice, it gives you the first real idea of the dimensions of the boat. I remember my first look at the molds when they where in place, great!
Succes Rick!

Allard

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:09 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:epoxy mix, climbing ladder, fiberglass rub, ladder, epoxy mixing, epoxy mix, climbing ladder, fiberglass rub, ladder,epoxy mix, climbing ladder, fiberglass rub, ladder,epoxy mix, climbing ladder, fiberglass rub, ladder, etc.
I lost 5 kilogram :wink:
Good, I'm hoping to loose about 25 kg during my project! :?
vla wrote:Yes, The hull will be a dark grey, and the bullwark bright red. I think the looks of the boat is a workboat as the operate in the harbour, so I want to give the boat that kind of look. I also wants a real rubrail, some 7 to 8 cm wide.
Yes I taped the picture on the hull because people ask me how it is going to look when finished.
That'll be a nice combination for sure. Red is definitely a real boat color. I thought about it for ours but I got overruled when the Admiral (wife) saw Mr. Yavuz's TW28 in dark blue.
vla wrote:I understand that you are almost that far to build the strongback, that's nice, it gives you the first real idea of the dimensions of the boat. I remember my first look at the molds when they where in place, great!
Succes Rick!
Thanks Allard. I can't wait to see this monstrosity come together.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:25 am
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote: I can't wait to see this monstrosity come together.
Rick! What monstrosity? Only because it look likes an whale or hippo (when it is upside down and wrapped in foil)?
It is the right thing to fill that miniature of the Notre Dame cathedral from Paris. By the way, blue is the right color for a cathedral with that name.

Allard

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:30 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:Rick! What monstrosity? Only because it look likes an whale or hippo (when it is upside down and wrapped in foil)?
It is the right thing to fill that miniature of the Notre Dame cathedral from Paris. By the way, blue is the right color for a cathedral with that name.
Every once in awhile I get the overwhelming feeling that I'm either very very small or this boat is going to be very very big! :wink:

I cleaned out the cathedral today. I'll begin assembling the strongback tomorrow! 8)

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:42 pm
by vla
Today I spent therapeutically. We had out to go out of bed early (three hours in the morning). Our son had to be taken to the airport. He goes for over four months to the University of Los Angeles for an internship (something with nanotechnology). When we returned home at eight o'clock I did not want to go to bed. Previously when I was a nurse, it would have been no problem. But now I could hardly concentrate. I glued the stringers and fit some frames.
Tomorrow my last day of my vacation. Then start the normal rhythm again.

Allard

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:45 pm
by vla
What did we do today, well I fixed the stringers with three layers of GF tape. Nice to do some jobs wich are visible. And later I placed some of the frames just to see if they fit. I als finished frame E ( de grootspant = main frame?).
Tomorrow I'll fix them and with a bit of luck I'll fix frame E too.

Allard

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:29 am
by Knottybuoyz
Coming along nicely Allard. I'll be watching this very keenly!

How much do you think the hull weighted when you flipped it over? That part has me a bit worried in such a small space. No room for errors.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:40 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Coming along nicely Allard. I'll be watching this very keenly!
How much do you think the hull weighted when you flipped it over? That part has me a bit worried in such a small space. No room for errors.
To be honnest, I don't know :? My guess 600 / 700 kg. But with the whole contraption around it probably some 1000 kg.
One beam broke during the flip over :!:
I can imagine you worry about that, but first things first. Get thh side, bottom panel and the keel on first. And than their is is a lot af glass and epoxy to go.

Allard

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:46 pm
by vla
I glued ("spot welded") the frames E - I in place.

Wonderfull to do things and see the results!

Allard

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:01 pm
by vla
This weekend I had not so much time for boat building. I had to help me daughter, she moved to another house. So saterday I had to paint, do some plumbing. But today I had time to build. I started with the foundation of the mast and started the the deckbeams. It this moment when I have to go from one side of the boat to the other it look likes a horse show with barriers. When all the deck beams are in place, I can lay a temporary floor plank, makes moving a lot easier.

Allard

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:47 pm
by fodrega
Congratulations Allard, now I think that some protection to your legs is a good idea.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:51 pm
by Knottybuoyz
fodrega wrote:Congratulations Allard, now I think that some protection to your legs is a good idea.
I've gotten so many bangs on my shins just with the strongback I'm going to buy a set of soccar shin pads! :(

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:59 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:[ I'm going to buy a set of soccar shin pads! :(
Just some epoxy on your pants is much cheaper, and gives a good protection. Those pads don't protect for myalgia, due to those hurdles!

Allard

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:27 pm
by vla
Nice set of skin pads you have Rick!

Last week I had the flu, but today I had had enough. I had jobs on the boat. It was warm in the workshop more than 26 C. And I think I had some fever. But it was nice to get something to do. Hanging around in the livingroom is not amusing.
Only I found out that there is something wrong with frame D. One part is higher than the other, 8 cm difference. A little too much to bury.

Anyway, I fit some frame parts in the keel, and fiberglassed a piece of the sole.

Allard

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:39 am
by TheBroomside
Allard,

We have a different kit, but the pieces must be essentally identical.
The port and starboard pieces of Frame D are different, one is taped to the hull (SB), the other (port) to the sole of the 'bathroom'.
The images are not very clear, but this is how it looks in our build:
SB

Port:

Actually, ther were a number of small pieces of frame D to support the sole:

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:33 pm
by vla
I made the floor in the galley! Finaly a horizontal piece of floor. No sloping things, just walk on a horizontal floor. Wonderfull.

Allard

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:59 pm
by vla
I did some small jobs. I work harder than my wallet allows me :) . I have to buy the expensive parts, engine rudder etc. Well, soon it is to cold to work with epoxy resins, good excuse to save some money.
But in the mean time I placed frame A with a little hatch. I have no idea how else I can tape the frame with fg on the inside, my arms are to short!
Figured out what to do with frame D and glued it in place.
And I made some reinforcements for the sole on the side panels.
It is nice to see how the different spaces in the boat take shape.

Well, so far the update.

Allard

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:30 pm
by chicagoross
Looks like pretty soon you'll have a lot more flat floor to walk around on! Nice work, glad you got the frame figured out!

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:24 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote: I have no idea how else I can tape the frame with fg on the inside, my arms are to short!
You need to recruit some little helpers. Hang them upside down by the ankles and let them do the taping! :wink:

Nice work Allard, coming along nicely.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:25 pm
by chicagoross
Nice! I can just see that kid's Mom trying to get the epoxy out of his hair... :D

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:10 am
by PrometheusNL
the addition of the hatch should allow you to tape the inside. Indeed there is no other way i can see you could do it without a hatch. Good solution and as always nice going allard looks good.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:45 am
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:You need to recruit some little helpers. Hang them upside down by the ankles and let them do the taping! :wink:
I have thought of that. But there are some problems:
My son is too long, more than 1.90 meters . And I'm only 1.80 meters.
My oldest daughter is a harpist and fears to stick permanently on the boat. But fortunately for her she is not too long, only 1.65 meters.
My youngest daughter has just bought a house and when I hang her on her ankles only unpaid invoices will fall out of her pockets. And I don't like that, she might think that I am willing to pay them.

Allard

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:50 am
by AussieBoater
Allard,
It sounds like you need some Grandchildren... :)

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:17 pm
by vla
Today I did something for what a lot of courage was required. I drilled two holes in the hull. One for the prop shaft and another for the rudder shaft. It is against my feeling, drilling holes under the waterline.
Next week I'am ordering the engine, the prop shaft and rudder shaft order.

Allard

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:56 pm
by chicagoross
Paying for that drivetrain is gonna be another act of courage... :D

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:24 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:Today I did something for what a lot of courage was required. I drilled two holes in the hull. One for the prop shaft and another for the rudder shaft. It is against my feeling, drilling holes under the waterline.
Hey Allard. I have to cut a 6" (150mm) hole for the bow thruster! 8O Any words of wisdom?
vla wrote:Next week I'am ordering the engine, the prop shaft and rudder shaft order.
Which engine are you getting?

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:12 pm
by vla
Rick,
Knottybuoyz wrote: Hey Allard. I have to cut a 6" (150mm) hole for the bow thruster! 8O Any words of wisdom?
I postpone the thinking about that. I have to cut a similar hole. I only know where I'm going to do that, just in front of frame B.
With a bit of luck it must fit there. But when I look at the boat and think of that hole, I've got the idea that I'm cutting the boat in half. It is going to be a whole lot of hole!
Knottybuoyz wrote:
vla wrote:Next week I'am ordering the engine, the prop shaft and rudder shaft order.
Which engine are you getting?
It is going to be a Mitsubishi S4L2 (42 Hp) The same engine as Peter has in his Luka.

The taping of the bow has succeeded, as far as i can judge from the pics. Good work!
Keep your head cool and the shed warm and you can work for a couple of weeks.

Allard

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:46 pm
by Daddy
Put a piece of tubing (the same diameter as the hole you want to cut) athwartship in the exact location where you want the unit. Use a straight edge to mark the edges of the hole by moving it around the cylinder in one inch increments sliding it out to meet the hull, connect the marks and you will have an oblong looking mark on the inside of the hull, one on each side. Never installed one myself but that is how I would mark the holes. I cant imagine that a template would do it as each hull has its own shape and the hole wouldn't be perfectly round,. Let us know how it is really done :D
Daddy

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:43 am
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:I postpone the thinking about that. I have to cut a similar hole. I only know where I'm going to do that, just in front of frame B. With a bit of luck it must fit there. But when I look at the boat and think of that hole, I've got the idea that I'm cutting the boat in half. It is going to be a whole lot of hole!
I've been doing some calculating, well sort of, using the perameters provided my my thruster manufacturer (Lewmar) I figure the best spot is here....

According to the specifications I have to keep the tunnel 100mm above the keel and 150mm below the water line. I'm not able to determine exactly where the waterline is/will be right now so this is my best guess. Maybe Jacques can help us out determine the best position. The farther forward it is the better as well. I'm going to mount mine horizontally under the v-berth.
vla wrote:It is going to be a Mitsubishi S4L2 (42 Hp) The same engine as Peter has in his Luka.
Nice choice and you know where you can get some spare parts if you need them! :wink: Sorry Peter!
vla wrote:The taping of the bow has succeeded, as far as i can judge from the pics. Good work!
Keep your head cool and the shed warm and you can work for a couple of weeks.
Nice weather for this weekend so should be able to get some stuff done. Life has gotten in the way most of this week so I didn't accomplish anything.

Post more pics soon Allard.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:24 am
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:I've been doing some calculating, well sort of, using the perameters provided my my thruster manufacturer (Lewmar) I figure the best spot is here....

According to the specifications I have to keep the tunnel 100mm above the keel and 150mm below the water line. I'm not able to determine exactly where the waterline is/will be right now so this is my best guess. Maybe Jacques can help us out determine the best position. The farther forward it is the better as well. I'm going to mount mine horizontally under the v-berth.
That is about the same information as I have. But if you locate the bow truster that far forward the shine between bottom and side panels get in the way. I Don't want to cut a hole in the shine. That is why I like to locate the truster just a few cm before Frame B.

You asked for more pics........ wel I can try making pics of doing nothing.....

Allard

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:27 am
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:
Knottybuoyz wrote:You asked for more pics........ wel I can try making pics of doing nothing.....
Yeah, me too. Kind of like watching epoxy cure! :wink:

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:50 am
by TheBroomside
Allard wrote:That is about the same information as I have. But if you locate the bow truster that far forward the shine between bottom and side panels get in the way. I Don't want to cut a hole in the shine. That is why I like to locate the truster just a few cm before Frame B.
Allard,

I am realy looking forward to the result. We are stil not fully decided on whether or not to place a bow truster. I will watch you doing it :wink: . Most probably we will decide after having used the Luka for a while.

About you last remark: same for us. Little time, little progress...

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:57 am
by icelikkilinc
IMHO you dont need a bow thruster on a boat this size but this is me..

I was at BERKIM Wednesday night, spent the night over fishing and trolling early in the morning.. Came back and docked on my own very effortlessly.. You will get used to the boat quite fast so I agree with Peter on trying first..

Bow thrusters are damn easy, I have used one on a 40' sailboat.. But 28' you can live without..

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:25 pm
by Knottybuoyz
icelikkilinc wrote:IMHO you dont need a bow thruster on a boat this size but this is me.. .. But 28' you can live without..
I agree. My boat handling skills are pretty good but I won't be the only one driving this boat. I asked quite a few canallers and a bow thruster is always #1 on their wishlist. The locks here get crowded in the summer and it's nice to have total control just to stay clear of the idiots. Besides I already bought it so it's a done deal. :wink:

A lot of figurin' and head scratchin' and I figure the best spot, balancing the need to keep it as deep and far forward as possible while minimizing the size of the hole where it exits the hull is approx. 20-1/2" below the B/L (center of tunnel) and 23" or so (center of tunnel) ahead of Frame B. This also just keeps the tunnel within the specs to keep the tunnel a minimum of 4" (100mm) below the W/L. This puts the tunnel almost dead nuts in the middle between Frame A and B. Farther forward and the tunnel becomes too narrow for the thruster drive & prop. Farther back and the hole required opens up (gets more shallow with curve of bottom) into a huge oval shape 6" (150mm) wide by almost 21" long (535mm). Moving it forward makes the hole smaller but with the other issues mentioned. That's for a 6" (150mm tube outside diameter) tunnel.

All measurements are approximate.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:02 pm
by vla
What a debate! And all that on a bow thruster. :)
Rick I have some additional information, the smallest length of the pipe should be 30 cm. That's what my supplier says, otherwise the bow thruster is less effective. That is the reason that I want to place it some more to frame B.
I'm glad you asaked Jacques, I like to hear his opinion about this matter. The reason that you wants a bow thruster is the same as mine, locks. As you might know, I want to go to Marseille. That means over 200 locks to get there and the same number on the way back. My wife has problems with her hands, but must handle the boat too. I like to stay on the safe side. The TW28 has a high bow and will catch wind easily. When I measured well, about 140 cm above the water line.

Allard

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:10 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:What a debate! And all that on a bow thruster. :)
Rick I have some additional information, the smallest length of the pipe should be 30 cm. That's what my supplier says, otherwise the bow thruster is less effective. That is the reason that I want to place it some more to frame B.
I'm glad you asaked Jacques, I like to hear his opinion about this matter. The reason that you wants a bow thruster is the same as mine, locks. As you might know, I want to go to Marseille. That means over 200 locks to get there and the same number on the way back. My wife has problems with her hands, but must handle the boat too. I like to stay on the safe side. The TW28 has a high bow and will catch wind easily. When I measured well, about 140 cm above the water line.
Hey Allard

At Frame B the thruster tunnel will be approx. 5' long. Too long to reach the propeller inside maybe. The holes in the hull will be huge too. I think that's what Jacques was talking about ("You may have to go close to B but then the angle is a problem. ") in response to my question earlier. If you locate the tunnel half way between A & B the tunnel will be about 34" (less than a meter) and the holes you have to cut much more reasonable. Difference in holes between locations. (rough sketch)

Anyhow I'll volunteer to go first and Peter and yourself can watch to see what kind of mess I get myself into! :wink:

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:11 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Anyhow I'll volunteer to go first and Peter and yourself can watch to see what kind of mess I get myself into! :wink:
Rich you're a brave man :wink: !
I am pleased to award you the honor of to cut the first holes for the bow thruster!

Allard

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:10 am
by TheBroomside
Allard wrote:Besides I already bought it so it's a done deal.
Allard,

What bowtruster did you buy?

Peter

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:46 am
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:
Allard wrote:Besides I already bought it so it's a done deal.
What bowtruster did you buy?
That was me Peter.

Lewmar 140TT 2.2 KW

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:15 pm
by vla
This weekend I have been bussy with glassing the sole panels and some more taping.

But I'm glad with the dry fitting of the sole panels, not all of them, but this is nice. A horizontal place to do jobs.
At the transom on the starboard side I'm building a gas well. In the Netherlands it is highly recommended to build a gas well. Every year some boats explode due to a gas explosions.

I'm going to buy my bow thruster (60 Kgm) at Drinkwaard.

Allard

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:31 pm
by vla
I cleaned up the workshop. It was necessary, and the result is visible even in a picture.

I also glued some fibre glass to the rooftops. What a surface, I need longer arms!

I found an alternative for pastry bags, candy bags! They are not as good as pastry bags, they sometimes leak at the seal. But for small amounds of glue it works, and I had them, so I use them.

If everythings goes right, I'll go tomorrow to Drinkwaard to order the engine.

Allard

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:00 am
by TheBroomside
Allard wrote:If everythings goes right, I'll go tomorrow to Drinkwaard to order the engine.
Allard,

Will you also order the drive train at Drinkwaard?
Will you ask for a prop there? I would be intrested in waht they offer you according to their calculations with regard to the prop dimensions.
We got our prop from Drinkwaard, I still think it is overdimensioned.

Regards,

Peter

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:40 pm
by vla
TheBroomside wrote:Allard,

Will you also order the drive train at Drinkwaard?
Will you ask for a prop there? I would be intrested in waht they offer you according to their calculations with regard to the prop dimensions.
We got our prop from Drinkwaard, I still think it is overdimensioned.

Regards,

Peter
They propose a 16 inch prop, with gearbox reduction of 1:2 (the standard Hurth /ZF 10M gearbox).Why do you think your prop is overdimensioned?
I asked for a bigger prop, it "bites" a bit harder, you've got some more power. But then you need another gearbox (1:3 reduction)
I've also asked them for windows, they sell Gebo-windows. They are beautifull but expensive, at least for me!

Allard

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:52 pm
by vla
I'm a poor man now. I ordered a lot of expensive stuff.
Next wednesday I can pick it up.
- The engine
- Pyton drive
- prop shaft and ax
- stirring shaft and ax
- tank
And then...... the money was gone. Well, winter falls so I can try to safe some money, with that low temperature I cannot do much. I can work on the engine, I bought it with al the stuff apart.

Allard

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:05 pm
by Daddy
BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand :D :D

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:50 am
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:I'm a poor man now. I ordered a lot of expensive stuff.
Next wednesday I can pick it up.
- The engine
- Pyton drive
- prop shaft and ax
- stirring shaft and ax
- tank
And then...... the money was gone. Well, winter falls so I can try to safe some money, with that low temperature I cannot do much. I can work on the engine, I bought it with al the stuff apart.

Allard
Way to go Allard! :D Spending money on boat parts is fun isn't it?

Those were essential parts so that makes it feel better. I know how you feel. We have to scale things back here in the winter to save up some more money. I think the windows are one of my last big purchases and those can wait awhile longer. I'm pretty much out of space for storing stuff.

Next Wednesday will be like Christmas day for you!

Cheers

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:19 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Way to go Allard! :D Spending money on boat parts is fun isn't it?

Those were essential parts so that makes it feel better. I know how you feel. We have to scale things back here in the winter to save up some more money. I think the windows are one of my last big purchases and those can wait awhile longer. I'm pretty much out of space for storing stuff.

Next Wednesday will be like Christmas day for you!

Cheers
In the Netherlands we have Sinterklaas (5th of December) instead of father Christmas, but yes I am as nervous as a 6(0) year old boy!

Allard

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:29 pm
by peter-curacao
vla wrote:
In the Netherlands we have Sinterklaas (5th of December) instead of father Christmas, but yes I am as nervous as a 6(0) year old boy!

Allard
Left a long time ago but don't we still have both of them? Sinterklaas and Jolly old Santa? Downloaded the movie Sint last week funny as hell :lol: Btw don't be sad I'm poor also but the sight of an brand new engine let you forget about that :wink:

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:28 pm
by vla
This was the day!
Santa must have visit me, I'm sure. I picked up all the goodies. When I had unloaded everthing I stand there and only watched it, took it in my hands, layed it back, looked, etc. Did some dry fitting and tried to understand how and where all the parts had to be. Great. Next weekend at work on the engine. It is a sort of DIY kit, 500 euro cheaper.
Here some pics:
Everything on and under the table.

Gearbox and muffler

4 port holes, wrong color, but a nice price. Some paint can do wonders.

Allard

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:52 pm
by peter-curacao
Congratulations you must feel and be a very happy man 8) !

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:41 am
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:TI stand there and only watched it, took it in my hands, layed it back, looked, etc.
It's OK to fondle all of the shiny stuff before you install it Allard. :D A builder has to envision where all these pieces will eventually go, it's part of the fun of building your own boat.

Good old Sinterklaas must be broke now. :D

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:13 am
by TheBroomside
Allard wrote: It is a sort of DIY kit
Allard,

You are braver than we are. We did buy the marinised version. If you need to see the finished engine for a particular detail, you are welcome.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:57 pm
by vla
This was nice, working on the engine. I'm lucky, that I do all the building in a garage. The owner is a mechanic. All the big parts where thei, but some small things where missing. And than it is handy to have the garage and its owner at hand for some bolts, nuts and hose clamps. Also the technical advice is welcome. So we had a nice saterday, talking, working, coffee drinking.... In no time the mechanical part was done.
Well spot the differences:

Before:

After:Image

Next weekend, all the electrical things.

Allard

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:33 pm
by vla
I have connected all the wires to the engine. That was a puzzle from time to time, but I managed. Connected a baatery to the system and had a test run. The Big Black Beast came to live! No I had no fuel in the engine, but just wanted to see if everything was connected well. Exciting!

Allard

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:30 pm
by vla
The girl has a heart!

The engine is on board, great!

Ready to hoist it on board

And then, in place!

It was a nice job. It went smoothly, without a problem.

Allard

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:45 pm
by gstanfield
:D Congrats on getting the engine in there 8)

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:22 pm
by icelikkilinc
that engine really looks compact compared to mine..

well done Allard, a nice milestone...

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:26 pm
by vla
Hello all. I wish everyone a prosperous 2012.
I spent a lot of money, a bow thruster, hydraulic steering, battery charger and a battery separator. Cannot wait to see all that stuff.
Today I looked at my sail boat (EigenVijs). We had a storm the last 24-hour with gusts to 110 km / hour. A part of the cover of the boat has blown away.It took some swet to get her covered again. I am happy that the boat is on (dry?)land. Although, we live here 1.5 meters below the average height of the sea, and the water in the rivers and canals is high due to abundant rainfall in recent days.

Allard

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:57 pm
by TheBroomside
Building 1.5 m below sea level: this must allow for a very easy lauching :D . Just move the dikes a little bit and float away.
Allard wrote:I spent a lot of money,
Yes, there is no end to it. But it is part of the fun to source all materials and to get them. Helps you through te cold winter.

Best whishes Allard!

Peter
LUS

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:08 pm
by topwater
Just think of all the money you are saving on labor :) You get to spend it on the good stuff :!:

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:24 am
by vla
TheBroomside wrote:Building 1.5 m below sea level: this must allow for a very easy lauching :D . Just move the dikes a little bit and float away.

Just move the dikes a little bit? Do you have any idea what that means? I will not speak about the practical side, like putting sand in the wheelbarrow and then dump it a little further again. Note that dikes here are about 7 meters high. No, I mean the administrative side of things. The submission of such request, the years of participation procedures and related matters. By the time I get permission to do it, it is already low water. No, I can better my energy into fun things like where I put the bowl down and precisely where and how should the holding tank stand.
TheBroomside wrote:Yes, there is no end to it. But it is part of the fun to source all materials and to get them. Helps you through te cold winter.

Best whishes Allard!

Peter
LUS

But when you have spent the money, you'll receive a lot of nice things! It is like Sinterklaas!

Peter it is my intension to visit you this spring, I'm curious to see the windows. It is my intension to order them at the same firm as you.

Also the best wishes for you and your family Peter.

Allard

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:10 am
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:
TheBroomside wrote: It is like Sinterklaas!
Sinterklaas again? :wink: Now I know where all my boat parts went this year! :cry:

My letter to Sinterklaas this year started something like this:
Dear Sinterklaas,

I've been really good these last few weeks so let's concentrate on that ok? The rest I can explain! :wink:

Rick
Nice stuff Allard, can't wait to see it all going in the boat. That's the best part of the project if you ask me. Keep the photos coming.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:38 pm
by vla
Tday I received the last portion of nice things.
It is so frustrating, we have "winter" no snow, no ice, relative high temperatures 5 - 10 C. To cold to work with epoxy, to warm to do nothing :( .

Well here the pictures:
The bowtruster

The hydraulics for the steering system.

Oh it is so nice te look at it and to have it in your hands. It itches.

Allard

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:20 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Nice looking equipment Allard. :D That stuff is as precious as gold! Better not leave them laying around! :wink:

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:16 pm
by Daddy
Allard, 5 or 10 C. is almost summer weather here in Vermont, no excuse, get to work!!! Epoxy will be slow but it will work just fine :D

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:02 am
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:That stuff is as precious as gold!
The price is the same :lol:

Allard

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:07 am
by vla
Daddy wrote:Allard, 5 or 10 C. is almost summer weather here in Vermont, no excuse, get to work!!! Epoxy will be slow but it will work just fine :D
You just destroyed my excuse to take a break :wink: .

Allard

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:54 am
by vla
She's got eyes!

And it's not Halloween!!

This reveals perhaps a few things

But holes under the waterline...... I had to gather some courage, to cut these holes.
It took e few blades for my jigsaw.
But the result.....

So Daddy, I'm a good boy :lol:

Allard

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:01 am
by vla
Oops, I forgot something.
Rick I used the same device as you to draw the oval for the tube. It works perfect. Thanks for the tip!
I was thinking quite a while how to get that job done.

Allard

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:42 am
by Daddy
Perfect !!!

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:40 pm
by TheBroomside
Nice work Allard.
Can you document how the tube will be fixed in place. Thats appears to be the biggest challenge to me.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:13 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:Oops, I forgot something.
Rick I used the same device as you to draw the oval for the tube. It works perfect. Thanks for the tip!
I was thinking quite a while how to get that job done.
You're welcome Allard. That's exactly what this forum is for!

Your tube is a lot farther back than mine and lower. When I measured for the holes for my tube I had to give myself 100mm below the tunnel and at least 150mm below the water line. I didn't have a whole lot of latitude to move it around. Yours looks a lot lower in the hull.

Nice work though Allard. As to Peter's question, plenty of goop and tape! :D Have to be careful not to leave any voids in the glue. It'll be tight getting it right between the tube and the bottom of the the boat. Thruster tunnels are added to production boats every day so it can't be that hard to do properly.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:50 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Your tube is a lot farther back than mine and lower. When I measured for the holes for my tube I had to give myself 100mm below the tunnel and at least 150mm below the water line. I didn't have a whole lot of latitude to move it around. Yours looks a lot lower in the hull.
It also depends on where you plan the waterline. I follow the buildingnotes. They advice that the lowest point of the transom just touches the water.
My tube has a diameter of 15 cm, is 15 cm below the waterline and there is 13 cm below the tube. It is located at 25 cm in front of frame B. So I could have locate the tube a few centmeters more towards the bow and 3 cm lower, but not many.

Allard

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:35 pm
by vla
Oh yes, this feels good. Day temperatures are about 15 dergrees C, so the epoxy can cure. My hibernation has lasted long enough. It's nice to be back at work. And so to see I'm not the only one here in europe, Peter is also back to work.
Started to glass the some parts. My nose is also very happy :? I suffer from an allergic reaction :( .

Allard

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:27 am
by Knottybuoyz
Warming up here too Allard. Still a lot of water in the ground which is making everything in the shed damp. It'll be nice to see everybody back working on their boat soon! Well except Peter, he's already working making us all look bad! :wink:

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:52 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Well except Peter, he's already working making us all look bad! :wink:
That explains why Peter complains that he is the slowest TW28 builder. If you make such beautiful doors, it costs time :wink: .
I plan there a mast, but otherwise such beautiful double doors would be my choice!

Allard

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:47 pm
by vla
A nice long weekend. Nice been at work. But first the rudder. I have steel blades made (NACA 007) and those welded to the rudder shaft. Then completely filled with polyurethane foam, it looks like a huge ice cream.

After half an hour grinding, and the application of a pair of layers of fiberglass with epoxy it the rudder looks like this. Almost a rudder.

I also been working with the engine. Holes drilled and tapped thread in the motor bed. I looked up against it, the engine had to be hoisted up again. Also, the base plate to the thrust bearing mounted.

I feel good about my work.

Allard

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:22 pm
by Cracker Larry
I feel good about my work.
You should :!: I feel good about your work too :D

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:39 am
by Knottybuoyz
Nice work Allard. :wink:

I feel good about your work too but not as good as Larry! :lol:

Is that the Python drive in there? Have you figured out what angles you're going to to set it at? It looks like you have a "drivesaver" (the blue disk) in there too.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:51 pm
by TheBroomside
Hey Allard,

Nice work. Wher
e did you get the rudder gear? It looks nice.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:16 pm
by peter-curacao
Allard maybe a stupid question because I don't completely understand what you have done with the rudder, but aren't you afraid that because of the water force the blades are going to "eat" into the foam, which could result in backlash overtime?

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:30 pm
by jacquesmm
That could happen on a high speed boat but on a displacement boat, there is rarely cavitation on the rudder blade.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:36 pm
by peter-curacao
jacquesmm wrote:That could happen on a high speed boat but on a displacement boat, there is rarely cavitation on the rudder blade.
Okay glad to hear that, just checking, carry on Allard you are doing a beautiful job 8)

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:59 pm
by vla
Rick,
Knottybuoyz wrote:Is that the Python drive in there? Have you figured out what angles you're going to to set it at? It looks like you have a "drivesaver" (the blue disk) in there too.
Yes that is a Python drive, just like Peter has. But what is a drivesaver? The blue disk is just an adapter to the gearbox.
I'm not good in alignment of the engine and the prop shaft, that is one of the reasons to chose for the Python drive.
As a result of my ignorance to align everything properly, I expect there will be "natural angles" for the desired uneven load on the bearings of the homokineet :wink: .

Allard

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:09 pm
by vla
peter-curacao wrote:Allard maybe a stupid question because I don't completely understand what you have done with the rudder, but aren't you afraid that because of the water force the blades are going to "eat" into the foam, which could result in backlash overtime?
Peter,

As at the rudder blade of Peter, are there between the blades studs. Unfortunately I have no picture, the camera's battery was empty. For the stiffness I placed thin metal strip between the studs. This is to increase the stiffness of the rudder blade. Finally, I have 4 layers of glass fabric of 500 grams a square meter.
No I do not expect any problems.

Allard

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:48 am
by vla
TheBroomside wrote: Where did you get the rudder gear? It looks nice.
Peter
LUS
Hey Peter,

I bought the stirring shaft at Drinkwaard the rest is partly made by myself, the welding was done at school. We have a metalworking department, very practical for boatbuilders :) .
But how is your progress? Dificult to find time to build? Greetings to you and your wife.

Allard

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:25 am
by colinhart
It great to see everyone starting again. What subject do you teach at school Colin

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:59 am
by vla
colinhart wrote:It great to see everyone starting again. What subject do you teach at school Colin
I'm a teacher in nursing. Quite different from building a boat :)

Allard

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:07 am
by colinhart
Certainly is I teach ,sorry I taught retired again 2 weeks ago, Physics and Astrophysics, wife teaches maths. I suppose this has some relevance at least the wife can add up correctly how much the beast is costing us Cheers Colin

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:10 am
by vla
well Colin, I can teach you how to wash the boat, keep a watch on the oiltemperature . I'm an expert in washcloth and thermometers.

Have you started up the build?

Greetings, Allard

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:29 pm
by vla
Progress of the past days.

Working on the rudder

Rudder almost finished

Also working on the engine room. Noise isolation and ventilation. An engine is a big airpump too. I don't want the air inlet in the side panel of the hull, so I let the ventilation shaft to the rear wall of the wheelhouse, just under the gunwales.

doorway to the toilet and the closet

Bookshelfs in the bedroom

Overlooking the cockpit.

Uploading pictures works fine

Allard

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:03 am
by TheBroomside
Allard,

Nice work, fantastic progress.
I really like the idea of the ventilation shaft for the engine, but wonder whether this will not result is extra noise in the cockpit
after. Nice details inside. keep the pictures coming.
We are just plowing along, a few hours a week. Perhaps you can visit our 'wharf', located near the canal Leuven - Dijle, in he near future with the Stoere Meid.

Peter
Lus

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:28 am
by Knottybuoyz
Nice progress Allard.

Leaves me ashamed of my own lack of progress but it's been so damn cold here. It snowed this week. :cry:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to vent my engine compartment from just above the side decks. I've got two sets of half clamshell type vents (Chris Craft style). Going to watch how your system works out. The pipe looks plenty big enough. Did your engine mfgr recommend how big it your air intake/exhaust should be?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:53 pm
by icelikkilinc
Allard,

Nice work...

One thing I noticed, your prop and and your rudder looks to far apart.. I know you dot have the prop there but I can see where it will be and it looks a bit far too me and thay may cause steering to each...

also my rudder follows the lines of the hull going up towards the back... your rudder top is flat... :?: I dont have the plans beside me now but I remember to make them same as Jacques designed..

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:03 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote:Leaves me ashamed of my own lack of progress but it's been so damn cold here. It snowed this week. :cry:
No complaining, you have the best excuse: the wether. You will catch up later.
Knottybuoyz wrote: The pipe looks plenty big enough. Did your engine mfgr recommend how big it your air intake/exhaust should be?
No, I had no recommondation of the manufacturer, but in the Vetus catalog I saw a recommendation for a 16 hp motor air intake with a diameter of 0.6 dm2.
I have a 42 hp engine and a two air intakes of 2 dm2 each. That seems sufficient to me. With two air intakes it can also ventilate a bit in the engine room.

Allard

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:20 pm
by vla
TheBroomside wrote:Allard,

Nice work, fantastic progress.
I really like the idea of the ventilation shaft for the engine, but wonder whether this will not result is extra noise in the cockpit
after.
I must admit that I thought about that too. But I am planning to coat the long pieces of pipe inside with a thin layer of plastic foam in order to mute resonances.In this way it seems like a tuba, especially where the sound is concerned.
TheBroomside wrote: Nice details inside. keep the pictures coming.
I'll do my best
TheBroomside wrote: We are just plowing along, a few hours a week. Perhaps you can visit our 'wharf', located near the canal Leuven - Dijle, in he near future with the Stoere Meid.
That sounds like a good idea, we can lay both "sisters" together, and discus the different choises we made in the design, and more.
Maybe you can show me a bit of Belgium from the water.

Allard

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:39 pm
by vla
Ilker,
icelikkilinc wrote: One thing I noticed, your prop and and your rudder looks to far apart.. I know you dot have the prop there but I can see where it will be and it looks a bit far too me and thay may cause steering to each...
I agree with you. But the sizes are as indicated in the plans.
When I look at the picture of the rudder of the Luka Peter LUS, there are no major differences.
icelikkilinc wrote: also my rudder follows the lines of the hull going up towards the back... your rudder top is flat... :?: I dont have the plans beside me now but I remember to make them same as Jacques designed..
You're right there. I think I have a little change. The rudder is still not ready. I've overlooked.
It is always good to know that a fellow builder with experience looking over my shoulder and evaluate my work.

Allard

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:18 pm
by colinhart
I hope you can help. I was looking at the plans and could not see any indication of the starboard and port stringer position on the plans. Is the width separation determined by the type of engine? and how far forward or back do you place them. Great progress by the way I cant wait to be that far advanced Cheers Colin

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:26 pm
by colinhart
looking at your pictures I think I have figured out how you set the separation with the frames but how do you work out the fore and aft position Cheers Colin

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:22 pm
by icelikkilinc
Colin, it is on the plans.. dont remember the number but on the one where it shows the boat from the top there is line to show the centerline and than it shows the position of the stringer based on the centerline...

not on one of the big papers but one of the A3 size...

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:13 am
by colinhart
Thanks Ilker I will have a look Colin

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:04 am
by TheBroomside
Colin,

The width of the stringers is shown on D262/5,look at frame E. They are 10" of 254 mm from the midline (measured between the stringers). Lengthwise, they fit exactly between frame C and the stern.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:34 pm
by colinhart
Thanks for you help guys it is much appreciated Colin

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:16 pm
by Corto Maltese
Also on 262/3.

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:52 pm
by vla
Colin,

I think you have enough answers. Your question was answerd before I read it.
But feel free to ask if you want to know something.

Allard

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:46 pm
by vla
I have spent a lot of money . Of course to FG and resin and hardener, various hoses: sanitary hose, clean water hose, drain hose, fuel hose, etc. But the icing on the cake is surely the prop. A beautiful 16 inch bronze prop.
Unfortunately I can not publish a picture, I seem to have exceeded a limit :?: .
I also adjusted the helm, thank Ilker. And there is no plate.
Tomorrow I work at my other boat, which must be sold. Only the market does not help :( .

Allard

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:00 am
by fodrega
Allard, excellent work, you inspire me, I had some engine noise in the cabin. This week I put a vinil carpet over the cabin hatches, and 2 m2 off eggs box foam inside the engine box, really works, big difference.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:39 am
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:I have spent a lot of money . Of course to FG and resin and hardener, various hoses: sanitary hose, clean water hose, drain hose, fuel hose, etc. But the icing on the cake is surely the prop. A beautiful 16 inch bronze prop.
I guess I'm lucky here with e-Bay and a lot of US sellers. The prop was one of my lower cost items. The biggies for me are the windows!
vla wrote:Unfortunately I can not publish a picture, I seem to have exceeded a limit :?: .
Try Photobucket.com that's the one I use.
vla wrote:Tomorrow I work at my other boat, which must be sold. Only the market does not help :( .
Me too. Been trying for 3 yrs to sell the old boat. It's frustrating sometimes.

Hang in there Allard.

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:37 pm
by vla
well, it's already over a month ago that I had something to report. What have I done in the meantime.
I adjusted my rudder.

The hydraulically placed the rudder.

Under the deck of the epoxy primer is applied a first layer

Fixed the tube of the bowtruster.

And the propeller mounted temporarily on the propeller shaft.

A couple of electric cables laid. In short, my aim is that the deck will soon be closed. I just need to figure out exactly where I want to make the hatchess. As I think now, there will be more hatches than walkable floor.

Allard

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:29 pm
by vla
It has been some time since I had something to tell. I have not been sitting still, I only did jobs that were not very visible.
I mounted the foredeck. I needed to do something big. it's really a thrill to stand for the first time on the foredeck. I also made hatch for the anchorlocker.

Now I am considering where to make the hatches in the floor. One big hatch seems the solution, but at the other hand not very practical.

Sometime next week I start the engine first. I'm very curious.

Allard

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:37 pm
by Knottybuoyz
That's still an amazing amount of work Allard. Looks good.

How's this for a hatch idea. The solid line is a cut. The dash & dot lines are hinges. They fold up from the middle to the end opening up the whole space.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 am
by icelikkilinc
mine are wider and you need them wide if you really need to do any work below sole on sea :wink:

the widest is the one that the engine is under... you may need to get the engine out in the future so dont forget to take that into consideration whilst making your measurements.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:40 am
by TheBroomside
Allard,

I agree with Ilker.
You should have better access to the engine and be able to remove it if ever needed . In addition I wanted easy access to all stopcocks, pumps, boiler, connections to tanks etc. So I have more hatches.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:45 pm
by vla
Tanks everybody for your advice.

First the layout of the floor.

And now the hatches (in red).

Allard

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:30 pm
by icelikkilinc
Allard, my hatches are all lined up in the middle.. I can fit in all of them if needed...

dont have any hatches under the seats... I can access them from the middle but if you can that will help..

a good contingency plan is to make sure they are all the way to back and if needed you can get the tanks out as well.. so in your layout I cant see anything for the water tank.. it is the first one on mine after the cabin door...

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:46 pm
by icelikkilinc

From the top
1 - Engine and gray water tank..

2 - Diesel tanks and filters and pumps

3 - Water tank and pumps

4 - Hydrolic pump and steering

there is also one under the helm to reach for the batteries...

at the transom I have 2.. 1 for lpgs, 1 for the shower system on the swim platform...

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:36 pm
by vla
Ilker,

Here the location of the tanks etc.

Allard

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:41 pm
by icelikkilinc
ok you have 1 tank for water and 1 for diesel

I have 5 tanks.. 2 fuel (2*115 Lt) 2 Water (2*160 Lt) and 1 holding (192 Lt)

than the layout should be fine as long as you can move things comfortably..

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:25 pm
by vla
icelikkilinc wrote:ok you have 1 tank for water and 1 for diesel

I have 5 tanks.. 2 fuel (2*115 Lt) 2 Water (2*160 Lt) and 1 holding (192 Lt)

than the layout should be fine as long as you can move things comfortably..
I indeed have 1 fueltank, 1 watertank and 1 holdingtank, all 100 L.
Here in the Netherlands a lot of people have a boat. What do you want, the half of the Netherlands is below the average sea level. Every 10 km there is a marina with (mostly) all facilities. So large amounts of water and fuel are not really necessary. My sailing area will primarily canals, rivers and lakes in the Netherlands.

I like it that you still follow and advises TW28 builders.

How is the repair of the Berkim?

Allard

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:07 am
by icelikkilinc
I am happy to advise on smtg that I have done mate..
I got so much info from this forum before I started my project.. always nice to share some info..

Berkim is finished but it will stay on land this year.. I am about to get a job in UK and if that happens I dont want a boat on sea that I think about all the time... I want to see how it goes first and than I will decide...

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:03 pm
by vla
Just 2 hours ago I started the engine for the first time!
What a sensation to hear the engine,to feel the fibrations, to smell the the fumes for the first time. Its great!

A small movie on yoy tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3x7orAj ... e=youtu.be

Allard

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:56 pm
by tobolamr
Congratulations! Sounds like it runs like a champ! :D

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:46 am
by vla
An update. Its going fast now. I had prepared the panels for the cabin and when they are on the boat....
It is steadily more and more a boat.

Test fitting the top and frontpanel. There are some difficulties with the corners, due to my misunderstanding of how to assemble the top. But with a bit of glue, fiberglass, elbow grease one can solve a lot.

Allard

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:41 am
by Knottybuoyz
:-) She'll look like a proper ship in no time Allard. Well done.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:40 pm
by vla
Yesterday I visited with Peter. It's nice to meet a fellow builder and to talk to him. Yes, and what are you talking about? You talk about the problems that you have encountered, the solutions that you found, you will be placed in doubt. Well then you have something to think about while you're building. I like a large table in the cabin, to eat a good meal and have good drink with my friends . And therefore I needed space. I do have an idea. I want the table to fold in length (see picture).

This gives more space to place the bench in a different position. (see picture).

The table can also be used to sit on, so another person can watch while sailing.

Today I spent the gangways. I have those 5 cm wider. 15 cm was too narrow. I did that by the rear wall 5 cm narrower cut. Tomorrow I'll continue with the small roof and the front panel.

Allard

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:29 pm
by colinhart
What a cracking idea re the table and another seat I have been racking my brains and drawing all sorts of plans so that I could have a second seat and a table never thought of combing the two I think I know how to do it now. Still epoxying the inside the keel and all that bending down is a bit of a bugger still only one more layer on the inside to go then I can srart the woodwork

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:57 pm
by vla
Colin,
colinhart wrote: Still epoxying the inside the keel and all that bending down is a bit of a bugger still only one more layer on the inside to go then I can srart the woodwork
I remember epoxing the inside of the keel, up side down trying to reach all the corners of the keel, a horrible job. When you're done you can enjoy the largest bathtub :!: .
Do the frames fit under the roof of your workshop, if you have placed them in the boat?

Allard

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:04 pm
by Knottybuoyz
I was just doodling with SketchUp trying to figure out how it all might fit in the cabin.

Forward of the bench & refrigerator will be two helm style seats. That's one of the reasons we stretched the boat as well as being able to bring the galley up. I think I'm going to borrow your idea for the folding table top Allard! :wink:

Can you post a picture of the fwd cabin before you install all the walls etc? Thanks.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:10 pm
by colinhart
The boat doesnt fit under the roof so I have got to raise the roof to get the boat out. My daughters now decided she wants to get married at home August 2013 so I have got to get the boat to a stage that I can ship it out somewhere else for the Day.
She only wants about 250 people to the after wedding barby. Who would be a father.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:12 pm
by colinhart
RE the plan I was looking at putting a cooling unit in with keel cooling anybody had experience with this system?

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:17 pm
by Knottybuoyz
colinhart wrote:RE the plan I was looking at putting a cooling unit in with keel cooling anybody had experience with this system?
I looked at a few grid coolers (keel coolers). Much simpler if you go with a dry exhaust. If you want to keep the wet exhaust you don't really gain much advantage other than heat exchanger life expectancy. A grid cooler for my Yanmar was just about a $1000 option.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:50 am
by colinhart
sorry I didnt make myself clear I was refering to the heat exchanger for the fridge/freezer unit looking at your picture showing an ice maker

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:30 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote: Can you post a picture of the fwd cabin before you install all the walls etc? Thanks.
Those pictures all already there:

In teh mean time new pictures of theis situation are not possible anymore :? . Walls and roof are on.

Try to make and publish some more pictures tomorrow.

Allard

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:04 pm
by vla
Rick,

Some more pictures

Allard

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:57 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Thanks Allard.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:50 pm
by vla
I didn't do nothing! The results of a few days of hard work.

The (small) roof is in place, also the hole for the escape hatch is there.

Did some work on the anchor lock

Oh that becomes a nice galley, and also holes for the portholes.

Made a door and a window in hte rear wall. My wife wanted a big window, well she's got one.

Next is the big roof and as soon that's fixed, I can start on the interior.
Its going fast!

Allard

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:38 pm
by fodrega
Congratullations Allard, really fast, nice work.
Fabio

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:12 pm
by vla
It was hot today, over 30 degrees C. Epoxy cured almost instandly, could only work with small amounts.
But the roof of the cabin is finished!

I'm glad that the beams of the flip over frame here still there. They are very handy to conect the straps on.

The cabin is going to be cosy.

Allard

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:37 pm
by jacquesmm
Nice.
During the design, I hesitated about having a wider roof overlap over the sides but it would have interfered with circulation on deck.
The compromise looks good.
Now you must plan for a little cast iron wooden stove in that pilothouse for the Dutch winters.

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:13 pm
by vondel44
Hi A., I tried to email, but don't know if I succeeded. Planning to build, saw your adventure. Can you contact me sprins.1@home.nl Gr.S.

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:47 pm
by vla
jacquesmm wrote:Nice.
During the design, I hesitated about having a wider roof overlap over the sides but it would have interfered with circulation on deck.
The compromise looks good..
Jacques,

An overlap of 5 cm don't interfere with the circulation. I made the gunwales 5 cm wider at the rear. I have a little problem with my balance (Meniere discease) and therfore wanted somewhat wider gunwales. The advantage is, when it rains the water of the roof is not running over the windows.
Unfortunately the compromise is not complete. In the front there is no overlap. I think I'm going to make the overlap
jacquesmm wrote:Now you must plan for a little cast iron wooden stove in that pilothouse for the Dutch winters.
There is room for a "vuurdondertje", and I might as well make/buy one. But at this moment with these temperatures I'm thinking about an airco. (Oh, how Dutch to complain about the weather!)

Allard

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:14 pm
by vla
I build a test bench. To see if my ideas are right. Well it works as I hoped for. You can sit upright when you need a lot of space on the table, when dinning. Or slide the botttom of the seat foreward and you can sit as in a sofa. That will be perfct with the folding table. The latter I'll build later.

Test bench with the back upright.

the back of thetest bench in couch position

And if everything is flat the back serves as a part of the bed base.

The proces of fairing and sanding has started :( . Oh I disllike that job. Cannot wait to get it finished then I can smile again. All those nooks and crannies! And this is only the outside. More nooks and crannies on the inside.

Allard

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:00 pm
by colinhart
looking really good congratulations . One question did you lay up any glass matting on the ply sheets before you fitted the shaped panels or did you glass after it was assembled .

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:05 pm
by vla
Colin,
colinhart wrote:looking really good congratulations . One question did you lay up any glass matting on the ply sheets before you fitted the shaped panels or did you glass after it was assembled .
I laminated the panels partly. The inside of the panels, I glassed two layers it is more diffucult to laminate when the ply is in place. Because of the frames and all the little corners. And it is not so nice to put glass and epoxy above your head.
The outside I laminated only with one layer off glass, to make it a bit more easy to bent the panels. When the panles where in place, taped etc. I glassed the outside for the final time.

Allard

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:13 pm
by colinhart
cheers ordered some more mat today cannot get 9 oz woven over here so just bought two different weights of biaxial
seem to have spent a fortune on epoxy and matting much more than the BOM suggests

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:46 am
by colinhart
What did you use for your engine mounts was it angle iron(mild steel) if so what dimensions and thickness did you use cheers Colin

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:55 pm
by vla
colinhart wrote:What did you use for your engine mounts was it angle iron(mild steel) if so what dimensions and thickness did you use cheers Colin
I used to strips of angle iron, 7cm by 5 cm and 1 cm thick. In that angle iron, I drilled and tapped. So I could mount/bold the engine monts on the angle iron.
For what concerns the BOM that is very optimistic.
One thing and another is dependent on the skills of the lamination. We amateur builders also have a tendency to apply an extra layer. That has its influence on the quantity of material!
How is your progress?

Allard

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:25 pm
by colinhart
Thanks, progress okay posted picture on my area of progress so far, once again run out of epoxy, daughters also got me on preparing for her wedding next year at our house, so building the new BBQ and a pizza oven my daughter is somewhat unconventional

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:39 pm
by vla
colinhart wrote:Thanks, progress okay posted picture on my area of progress so far, once again run out of epoxy, daughters also got me on preparing for her wedding next year at our house, so building the new BBQ and a pizza oven my daughter is somewhat unconventional
Unconvetional daughters? Hmm sounds familiar. .......
Ive got two daughters ..... But I am very proud of them!
But look at the bright side, when the wedding is over you'll get more headroom in the hull! Its only a pitty that you have to wait.

Allard

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:59 pm
by vla
Today I didn't do anything. It was too hot. I don't know how much but above 90 F. Moving the eyebrow made ​​sure that you were sweating. I entertained myself with the contents of the fridge.

Allard

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:09 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:Today I didn't do anything. It was too hot. I don't know how much but above 90 F. Moving the eyebrow made ​​sure that you were sweating. I entertained myself with the contents of the fridge.
I have two-way radio from the boat shed to the house. I just page the galley person and she re-hydrates me! 8)

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:16 am
by colinhart
may I pick your brains again Via
The engine mounts you used were they mild steel if so did you coat them against rust, also what size bolts did you use through the stringers and did you use a backing plate the other side Thanks for the help Colin

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:33 pm
by vla
colinhart wrote:may I pick your brains again Via
The engine mounts you used were they mild steel if so did you coat them against rust, also what size bolts did you use through the stringers and did you use a backing plate the other side Thanks for the help Colin
As long you don't steel my brains.......!
  • 1. Yes I coated the engine mounts.
    2. Bolts true the stringer, engine mount and back plate 10 mm (M10), I used the same size to mount the engine to the engine mounts.
    3. Yes I used a backplate (40mm x 5 mm) at the other side of the stringer.
Perhaps this picture helps.

Allard

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:30 pm
by colinhart
I would never steal your brains I am sure I will need them again Thanks for the help. Just getting a bit nervious it starting to get serious putting the tanks and engine etc. in. I cannot believe that the end might be in sight within a year I have been living with this boat so long.

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:06 pm
by vla
I decided to make drawers in the galley.

The bottom drawer is a bit odd in shape.

The steering console.

And i made a folding bench in the cocpit

And additionally F & S. Still not ready. I always find places that still needs work. The next boat is smaller, not so much fairing and sanding :) .

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:05 pm
by colinhart
I am back picking the brains of the experts. I have made an adjustable stand for the laser pen to set up the engine mounts but cannot think of a way to make sure I drill the correct angle through the rear of the keel. This is made more critical as I increased the thickness by adding extra wood in the rear of the bilge did you drill freehand or make some sort of jig for the drill?

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:28 pm
by vla
colinhart wrote:I am back picking the brains of the experts.
Expert?
colinhart wrote:I have made an adjustable stand for the laser pen to set up the engine mounts but cannot think of a way to make sure I drill the correct angle through the rear of the keel. This is made more critical as I increased the thickness by adding extra wood in the rear of the bilge did you drill freehand or make some sort of jig for the drill?
There is little room for the drill to drill, that's right. I had the laser from frame G focused on the location where the hole was to be drilled. Then, with a long drill (8 mm) the hole was drilled while the laser is on the back of the machine (in line with the drill). Later from the outside the large hole was drilled. Where the small hole (8 mm) led the large drill. That is how did it.
I hope this helps.

Allard

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:22 pm
by colinhart
Cheers that was pretty much how I thought I would do it. Its just scary drilling a hole uner the water line. Any more pictures?

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:46 pm
by vla
colinhart wrote: Its just scary drilling a hole uner the water line.

That's going to be fun, that's only is the fitst one, some more to follow!

Another trick. When you wants to put some gf and epoxy in the hole, use a balloon to fixate the material. In that way you press everything to the wall. It works perfect.
colinhart wrote:Any more pictures?
No pictures yet. Not so much difference before and after fairing.
It is my plan to finish the out side before it gets to cold. I can cover the windows with plastic film and heat up the inside so i can do sanding, fairing (a bit) and painting.

Allard

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:02 pm
by vla
In the event that there are people who think that nothing happened in the Netherlands an up date. The work is much slower, but there is some progress.
First a picture of the trick with the balloon. The hole is provided with epoxy and fiberglass. I have put a balloon in teh hole and inflated the balloon. In this way, the tissue is pressed against the wall of the hole.

Then another picture of the galley. I have finished drawers.

Some more pictures in gallery.

Allard

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:08 pm
by colinhart
I am just about to order the shaft what size did you use cheers colin

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:40 pm
by vla
colinhart wrote:I am just about to order the shaft what size did you use cheers colin
I have 35 mm SS shaft and a Pyton-drive.

Allard

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:37 am
by vla
The best wishes to everyone for 2013

Due to the mild winter (10 degrees Celsius), I can continue working on the Tough girl. With a small fan heater is still comfortable in the boat.
I started painting the inside of the boat. That looks very different.

More pictures in my gallery.

Allard

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:05 am
by Knottybuoyz
Hello Allard

Best wishes to you in '13. The work looks fantastic. Keep it up!

Very impressed.

Rick

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:34 pm
by TheBroomside
Hallo Allard,

Amazing progress. Waht paint did you use? Splashing in 2013?

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:54 pm
by chicagoross
Beautiful!

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:22 pm
by vla
TheBroomside wrote:Amazing progress. Waht paint did you use? Splashing in 2013?
I used not a special paint, just Histor color "zonlicht".
It's amazing how everything changes when you paint.
I hope the big splash will be this year.

Allard

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:30 pm
by vla
This is a proud father. Yesterday, my son received his diploma. And he graduated with honors.
That I had to tell you too.

Today I continued with the boat. At this time busy in the toilet and the galley.

All kinds of jobs that I can do inside the boat. With a fan heater it is a pleasing warm. Soon I begin to work on the electricity, lighting, etc.

Allard

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:42 pm
by AtTheBrink
Wow Allard! That is some amazing work! Love your boat and thanks for posting pictures. Congratulations to you and son!

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:49 pm
by vla
We have been working. And finished some things.

Berth finished, engine of the bowtruster installed etc.

Galley finished, water connected, propane connected, drain connected.

Toilet finished, door in place.

Next weekend the electrickery (Catweazle).

Allard

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:55 am
by Knottybuoyz
Very nice progress Allard.

Can I see a pic of your bowthruster motor installation? Just for curiosity.

The Admiral loves your galley layout. She's already planning for hers. Keep up the good work. It helps keep enthusiasm up for our project. Just waiting for winter to be over.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:23 am
by vla
Rick,

What a bad luck you had with the shed. Good thing you have such good neighbors to warn you if something is wrong.
I totaly agree with the admiral conserning the galley, it is nice.
Give me some time and I'll show you a picture of tje bowtruster. I have te remove the bed for taking the picture.

It was a hard day's work, but satisfying. It was a hard day's work, but satisfying.Just look at the results.

Steering console finished.

And what of my table.

As we eat with friends I like some space on the table. If the table is unfolded, I have more than enough space.

Allard

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:52 pm
by AtTheBrink
Wow Allard! 8O That is some beautiful work. Love the Helm station and your butcher block table is gorgeous! The whole interior looks very well planned and your workmanship is top notch. Keep up the good work. Very inspiring!

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:25 am
by fodrega
Congratullations Allard, very nice and beautiful.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:47 am
by peter-curacao
Wow 8O that is beautiful! it's not a stoere meid anymore it's more like a miss universe! 8)

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:54 am
by TheBroomside
Allard,
Super. Looking forward to welcoming the 'Stoere Meid' in the 'port' of Leuven.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:07 pm
by vondel44
Hi, visited Allards dream being built in the shed. Inspiring, beautiful, makes you want to start, thanks Allard
Gr.Simon

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:48 pm
by vla
TW28 builders it is time to wake up from hibernation!
So wake up Rick, Dario Peter and Colin! Make your plans, buy your things. Prepare for work!
Here in the Netherlands temperatures tend to come above the 0 degree C in the night time. So there is a chance we can get to work again.

A tiny up date, did some work on the rub-things (berghout in the Dutch language, I don't know how it is called in English)

Allard

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:49 am
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:TW28 builders it is time to wake up from hibernation!
So wake up Rick, Dario Peter and Colin! Make your plans, buy your things. Prepare for work!
Here in the Netherlands temperatures tend to come above the 0 degree C in the night time. So there is a chance we can get to work again.

A tiny up date, did some work on the rub-things (berghout in the Dutch language, I don't know how it is called in English)
Hi Allard

I'm awake. Was in the shed yesterday. Ground is still really wet so just waiting for it to dry out before I get started again. Won't be long now.

They're called 'rub rails' or 'rubbing strips'

What are your plans for the boat this year? Launch maybe?

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:27 pm
by vla
Rick,
Knottybuoyz wrote:What are your plans for the boat this year? Launch maybe?
I hope to launch this summer. But first I have to sell the other boat.
My finances determine the speed of construction at this moment. But the economy is bad in the Netherlands. Even fender kickers don't come around!

Allard

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:45 am
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:Rick,
Knottybuoyz wrote:What are your plans for the boat this year? Launch maybe?
I hope to launch this summer. But first I have to sell the other boat.
My finances determine the speed of construction at this moment. But the economy is bad in the Netherlands. Even fender kickers don't come around!
Hey Allard

I hear you. Economy isn't any better around here either. It took us 3 yrs to sell our old boat and in the end we basically gave it away.

Good luck getting it launched this year. I'm at least a year behind now and maybe a lot longer before I can get back to it.

Keep the pictures of your progress coming. They're inspiring.

Cheers!

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:10 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Hi Allard

I have a question. Before you fiberglassed the hull how did you handle the 6mm or so overlap of the bullwark panel? I'm thinking I should smooth it out so the fiberglass goes over the bullwarks without a bridge situation.

I looked back but couldn't see how you handled it.

Thanks

Rick

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:35 pm
by vla
Rick,

Just made a little drawing to answer your question. From time to time it is difficult to explain everything in English. I wish I had the full expressiveness of the English language. Google translate doesn't help all the time, strange translations.

I did it this way, no s.... (horrible word) the rest sounds like: ending. And that is the problem it seems it has no ending. Even now :(
The hull and teh superstruture get their coats of HB epoxy primer to prepare it for painting. 4 layers of HB epoxy primer and than 3 layers of paint. And s.... in between. I have a sort of hate love relation with my Rotex.

Have a good weekend.

Allard

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:15 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Thanks Allard

I see what you did. I've only glued on the bullwarks at this point, no tape yet. I was hoping I could keep the line the bullwark makes nice and sharp but I know the fiberglass won't drape close enough to the sharp curve for this. I think I'm going to skip the tape and lay up the fiberglass right over it. We'll see how it goes.

I don't mind the sanding. It's the itching afterwards! :roll:

Thanks again.

Rick

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:53 pm
by TRC886
Knottybuoyz wrote:I don't mind the sanding. It's the itching afterwards! :roll:
Rick
Try this from the Chief:
Chief Brody wrote:When you start grinding I would highly recommend a little more skin protection and lots of talc powder...helps keep the glass dust out of your pores.

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:59 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote: I was hoping I could keep the line the bullwark makes nice and sharp but I know the fiberglass won't drape close enough to the sharp curve for this.
I kept the edge sharp with a plastic spoon and worked wet in wet. It worked well
Knottybuoyz wrote: I don't mind the sanding. It's the itching afterwards! :roll:
Oh yes the itching. The other half of the fun! I'm glad that is over.

Allard

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:19 pm
by vla
I posted some pictures in my gallery.

Allard

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:30 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:
Oh yes the itching. The other half of the fun! I'm glad that is over.
Haven't you always wanted to visit Canada in the summer? :wink:

Just kidding! I'll get through it. We all have to pay our dues.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:57 pm
by Doc_Dyer

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:44 pm
by vla
Rick,

I doubt if Jacques has designed the TW28 for the North Atlantic.
Knottybuoyz wrote: Haven't you always wanted to visit Canada in the summer? :wink:
This summer? No time! I hope to have a TW28 in the water :D

Perhaps in a few years we can discus an exchange, you in my boat to discover Europe. Me exploring the Canadian waters.

Tomorrow no work on the Stoere Meid. We have the the abdication of our queen and teh coronation of our new king. I'm glad not to be in Amsterdam. The Sixhaven ( marina in Amsterdam) is so full, if they could to would place boats on top of each other.
Tomorrow I will be in front of my TV set.

Allard

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:13 am
by TheBroomside
Dear Allard,

Fantastic progress. Hope to be present when you splash it.
Also Leuven is a nice aim for a shake down trip.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:55 am
by colinhart
Looking so good I am really envious. Congratulation on getting a new King Cheers Colin

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:20 pm
by vla
TheBroomside wrote:Dear Allard,

Fantastic progress. Hope to be present when you splash it.
Also Leuven is a nice aim for a shake down trip.

Peter
LUS
She is looking realy good. I'm very curious how she looks with the difinitieve colors. I'll a give a message when the splash will be. A trip with the Luka and the steore meid must be possible.

Allard

Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:11 pm
by vla
Today the Stoere meid got her first coats, Black for the hull and off white for the superstrucrure.
It looks great! The bullwark is going to be red.

I'm afraid to become a result junk. It is great to see the work of your hands.

Allard

Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:23 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote: I'm afraid to become a result junk. It is great to see the work of your hands.
I often sit and look at the results of my own handiwork. It's usually a mess though! :wink:

Looks great Allard. Can't wait to see it with the red bulwarks. Black & Red should look really good together. Keep posting the pics.

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:56 pm
by vla

The girl has her make up.

Allard

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:06 am
by Corto Maltese
I would like to have such colors on the boat, but it is impossible under the Mediterranean sun. Black and red: is it only esthetics or political creed :D

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:08 am
by vla
A little update.

I finished the paint job. Three layers of paint around her. It looks nice. Not much change to the previous photo. Color scheme did not change. But painted also the hull below the waterline. Working on my back is not my thing :wink: .
Ordered the windows, they must be made ​​of gold! But when they are ready it will be very nice
The windows shall arrive early July. So I am planning the launch in the second half of July. I can not wait.

I'm assembling to an onboard computer. I want to use it for navigation, internet, movies and more. I bought an Asus E35M1 motherboard. It is fanless and have a low power consumption. Adding memory, HD, powersuply, some more little things and it should work. Try to find out how to distribute the NMEA data from the GPS antenna to the DSC-VHF and the PC. Any idea's?

Allard

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:17 pm
by vondel44
Allard, I like the colors of your boat,but the designer of our former boat, Farrier, advised light colors to prevent loss of strenght in the sun. That was ofcourse with a light tri with only 600 gram in and outside,but still 9.40 m long. Any thoughts about temperature and loss of strength of the laminate, when heading to the south of Europe.
I hope you can convince me. Gr Simon

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:51 am
by vla
vondel44 wrote:Allard, I like the colors of your boat,but the designer of our former boat, Farrier, advised light colors to prevent loss of strenght in the sun. Any thoughts about temperature and loss of strength of the laminate, when heading to the south of Europe.
I hope you can convince me. Gr Simon
I think I cannot convince you Simon. But yes I've thought about it.
You are right, the black does take up a lot of heat comaired to a light color. But the laminate will not hotter than some 45 - 50 degrees C.
The loss of strength will start at 55 - 60 degree C. So there is a margin. My sail boat has a dark blue color (almost black) and it is never so hot that you cannot put your hand to the hull. So it will not be over 50 dergrees. The ply under the laminate will not accumulate heat as a steel hull.

Allard

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:08 pm
by tobolamr
Allard,
Have you made any progress on the NMEA to On-Board Computer connections yet? I have nothing to contribute, but was curious if you had learned anything there yet.

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:18 pm
by vla
tobolamr wrote:Allard,
Have you made any progress on the NMEA to On-Board Computer connections yet? I have nothing to contribute, but was curious if you had learned anything there yet.
Yes on a Dutch website a found an adaptor to connect the VHF, and PC to a GPS receiver. http://www.pcnautic.nl/GPS-RS232-naar-NMEA-Adapter.html . Pewrhaps you can translate with Google translate.
Could not find something in English.
I would like to use the European ENC charts. For the USA you can use http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/
And I use the Open CPN software http://opencpn.org/ocpn/

Allard

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:30 pm
by vla
Construction is nearing its end. Time to clean up the workshop. I'm not an organized builder, but I can always find my way in the clutter. I'm going to miss the mess after building two and a half years.

I have tear down the cradle. It looks strange. She has sit in it safe and sound. Now you can see her in her full glory.

Allard

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:50 pm
by glossieblack
Fine looking boat!

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:48 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:Construction is nearing its end. Time to clean up the workshop. I'm not an organized builder, but I can always find my way in the clutter. I'm going to miss the mess after building two and a half years.
That's a very fine looking vessel Allard. You've done a journeyman's job on her sir! Congratulations

If you really 'miss the mess' you're more than welcome to come and hang out in my boat shed anytime! :lol:

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:47 am
by tech_support
beautiful :!: I like the red/black

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:12 am
by Cracker Larry
Beautiful for sure 8)

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:58 pm
by vla
I'm working to install the last little things. Lamps in and outside the boat. Batteries installed and tested. It works.
Next week they will deliver the windows. And then she is ready for launching. Of course there are always things that need to be different or better. I will definitely forget something and only discover that when she is in the water. As long as it is above the waterline it will be no problem.
The big moment where I worked for is coming! The plan is that she enters the water in the last week of July.

Allard

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:55 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:I'm working to install the last little things. Lamps in and outside the boat. Batteries installed and tested. It works.
Next week they will deliver the windows. And then she is ready for launching. Of course there are always things that need to be different or better. I will definitely forget something and only discover that when she is in the water. As long as it is above the waterline it will be no problem.
The big moment where I worked for is coming! The plan is that she enters the water in the last week of July.
We have a saying Allard; "The Devil is in the Details". I'm sure you'll find that out first hand! :wink:

I wish I could be there for your launch. Please have someone getting lots of pics or even video. :D

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:44 pm
by vla
Knottybuoyz wrote: We have a saying Allard; "The Devil is in the Details". I'm sure you'll find that out first hand! :wink:
I wish I could be there for your launch. Please have someone getting lots of pics or even video. :D
In the Netherlands we say: Het venijn zit hem in de staart.
Would be nice if you could be here. At the other hand, I would like to help you with the sssssss........ (sorry cannot get it out of my mouth).
Try to organise a video, no money left to buy one. Be sure their will be pictures :)

Allard

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:03 pm
by vla
The ministry of decoration has done her job. She has the curtains and cushion covers sewn.

I love it, she has done a great job.

The pictures I have posted are probably the last of the boat in the workshop. The Launching is scheduled for July 24.
Yes, I'll take pictures if I do not forget it. I do not know how my mood is probably nervous and tense.
I have yet to find someone with a video camera. So I can upload a video.

Allard

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:18 pm
by glossieblack
She's looking great Allard. Enjoy the launch - you desrve it!

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:20 am
by Knottybuoyz
Allard

Please pass on our compliments to the Minister of Decoration for a very nice job on the cabin details! :D

We'll be sitting on pins & needles till the 24th.

Watching intently.

Regards

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:08 pm
by vla
Waiting for the roll out....
Some 50000 seconds to go.......

49998 seconds to go........

Allard

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:20 pm
by Boater45
LOVE IT!!! Great job!!

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:53 pm
by Southern Gent
Allard, Nice Work. Very Nice Work. Enjoy the ride

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:27 pm
by Marshall Moser
she truly looks like a "tough girl". Congrats

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:31 pm
by colinhart
Good luck on the launch I know it will go well. Videos please desperate to see one going through the water All the best Colin

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:36 am
by Corto Maltese
Man, you're my hero! Counting down with you and preparing a champagne :D
All the best!!!
Dario

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:07 pm
by Doc_Dyer
vla wrote: Some 50000 seconds to go.......

Allard
ok, 50,000 seconds is 13.889 hours

it has been over 24 hours since last post

video, or pictures, :wink: Please

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:14 pm
by bigtalljv
the man just launched his boat, we won't hear from him until he runs out of gas!! :D

Jason

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:41 pm
by peter-curacao
bigtalljv wrote:the man just launched his boat, we won't hear from him until he runs out of gas!! :D

Jason
Ouch that's gonna be a long wait, I heard those TW 28's are very fuel efficient 8)

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:51 am
by Knottybuoyz
Waiting impatiently!.............

Fingers tapping on the desk................. :(

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:37 am
by pee wee
I had to go back and check page one . . . less than three years from ordering materials to (presumably) splash!! For a boat like this, that seems fast! Nice job, it looks great, too. :D

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:27 am
by AtTheBrink
pee wee wrote:I had to go back and check page one . . . less than three years from ordering materials to (presumably) splash!! For a boat like this, that seems fast! Nice job, it looks great, too. :D
Wow! I didn't realize that! Amazing work!

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:46 pm
by vla
Your waiting is over!

look at the finished boats

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:37 pm
by peter-curacao
vla wrote:Your waiting is over!

look at the finished boats
That's mean man! real mean! :lol:

Edit: Okay now there are pics and vids

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:31 pm
by Doc_Dyer

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:13 am
by vla
Just back from my first trip with the Stoere meid.

It was great. The boat meets all my wishes. She is easy to handle and comfortable sailing. Even my wife could do it.
She also likes the table I made and used it frequently. Only a bit different as most people uses a table.
During the trip we had many possitive reactions on the boat.

At 1600 rpm she runs 5,4 knots.
And a fuel consumption of 2 l/h (or some less). I think that is verry good.

Allard

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:29 pm
by Knottybuoyz
vla wrote:Just back from my first trip with the Stoere meid.
Very well done Allard. My congratulations to you and your wife on the successful first voyate of Stoere Meid. I'm sitting here with a big silly grin on my face looking at the wonderful pictures!

Cheers!

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:30 pm
by vla
Hello all,

It's been four years now since you heard of me. Since January my wife and I have retired. And from May this year we are traveling with the Stoer famke. This year we stayed in our own country, Friesland is a beautiful province to travel by boat. The TW28 is the perfect boat for 2 people to travel for a long time. Just enough space for all the stuff. A couple of days friends or relatives, no problem either.
Unfortunately, there is no TW28 meeting this year. We sold our house and bought a new house. We are in the middle of a move next month.
Next year, I really hope for a TW28 meeting, maybe Colin may be there. That would be a unique affair, three TW28, three nationalities together.
I am also pleased that Peter, Katrien and Luka are in Lage zwaluwe about August 11th. I´m looking forward.

Allard

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:56 pm
by colinhart
I hope so I want to lauch at the begining next year if I can get working on the boat. Grandchildren seem to take a lot of time up. It would be good to take a trail run over the channel hope to see you

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:57 pm
by colinhart
I hope so I want to lauch at the begining next year if I can get working on the boat. Grandchildren seem to take a lot of time up. It would be good to take a trail run over the channel hope to see you

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:49 am
by vla
An evaluation after 6 years of sailing the Stoere Meid.

A TW28 is a wonderfull boat. The Stoere meid (a TW28!) is a wonderfull boat for two people who stayed for a longer time. This year we sailed her for 4 month. With a little break for the marriage of our daughter. So we did two trips, one to the north of our country and after the marriage one to Belgium.

The trip to the north was an adventure, we would do the Waddenzee. It is a small sea between the main land and 5 islands. At low tide the Waddenzee isn't a sea anymore, only a some trenches and sandbars. But it was an adventure to visit the islands.
Image The weather was nice, hardly any wind and a fast passage. Image
The Netherlands is a small country, only 350 km by 180 km, but we have more then 5000 km of navigable rivers, canals and lakes! So their is a lot to see.

This year we run 300 hours and used an averange of 1,6 liter/hour at 1600 RPM. Than shee runs at a speed of 9,5 / 10 km/h. which is good.

Next year? May be Germany (Berlin, Vor Pommern/Schwerin!)

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:01 pm
by Jeff
Great report!!! Thank you, Jeff

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:58 pm
by fallguy1000
Thanks for the update. Happy Sailing! What about the North Sea?

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:22 am
by vla
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:58 pm Thanks for the update. Happy Sailing! What about the North Sea?
At sea you cannot see this:

Or this:
Image (Planetarium of Eise Eisinga in Franeker)

And how about this:
Image (14th century, Wyns)

I once was a nurse so this is also got my attention:
Image(Plague guesthouse, 15th century, with a piece of the 13th century city wall)

Sailing the (north)sea is an adventure, but these old places are nice, very nice :D .
But who knowes, one day .....

Allard

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:56 am
by Bogieman
Beautiful!

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:11 pm
by vla
Best wishes to everyone!

When Peter Lus writes his annual evaluation, I decided to write mine too.
I subscribe to Peter's cry from the heart: more TW28 must be built.
This year we sailed to the Wadden Sea and Belgium again with the Stoere meid. More than 2800 km covered in 290 hours and about 480 liters of diesel oil. So an average consumption of 1.6 liters per hour.
The highlights of the trip: The Wadden Islands, the four historic boat lifts of Thieu, the new boat lift of Strepy (72 meters), the Hellendvlak of Ronquieres and finally a reunion with Peter and his wife.
The plans for the coming season: Berlin and the lake area Das Blaue Paradies (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern).
And if that doesn't happen, then: Maas-Mosel-Rhine.

I am happy to see that Colin is also starting his Project again.

A few pictures:
WaddenzeeImage

Thieu Image

StrepyImage

Strepy Image

Ronquieres Image

Peter Image

Allard

Allard

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:33 pm
by Pat4
Very nice Allard!!!
Love to do this too when I have some more sparetime…
And you’re right; much more to see on the inland waters then on the North Sea.
But on the other hand what about the British Islands? Jersey and Guernsey.
That would be an adventure;-)

Gtrz Patrick

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:05 pm
by vla
Pat4 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:33 pm Very nice Allard!!!
Love to do this too when I have some more sparetime…
And you’re right; much more to see on the inland waters then on the North Sea.
But on the other hand what about the British Islands? Jersey and Guernsey.
That would be an adventure;-)

Gtrz Patrick
Hee Patric, good to see you! We finaly should meet somewhere. We have only moved to the north of the country (Steenwijk).
No, I'm not looking for the British ilands. My secret wish is to go to Aigues mortes and a little trip on the Mediterranean.

Groetjes, Allard

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:32 pm
by vla
An evaluation after another two years of sailing with the Stoere meid.
In 2022 we sailed to Berlin and the lake area above (Mecklenburgische seenplatte). a beautiful trip. We had about 4 months to do this.
In 2023 it was France's turn. Sailed the northern French canals via the Meuse, to the Saone and finally to the Rhone. Our final destination was Aigues Mortes near the Mediterranean Sea. We then sailed back to Valence. We left the boat there for the winter. We drove home by train.
The journey in numbers.
Sailed 1848 km
314 locks (including Bolene lock with a drop of 23 meters)
266 operating hours
425 liters of diesel
Average use (425 : 266=) 1.6 liters per hour!
2024 we are going to pick up the Stoere meid. We then sail back home over the Saone, Doubs and Rhine.
A couple of photos:

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:44 pm
by Jeff
Nice!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:42 pm
by Fuzz
It is great to see folks getting lots of use out of their boats! That looks like some amazing trips you are taking.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:39 pm
by TomW1
Vla great seeing you getting so much use of your TW28. Remember watching you building her. Tom

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:42 am
by colinhart
Looks good, because of the stupid Brexit we are now limited in the time we can spend on the Canals in Europe, Talk about an act of national suicide. Been working on the inside of my boat during the winter and when I can figure out how to post a picture I will send some up-dates. The fuel rates look really good, it's a very economical boat. Any idea how much ballast you put onboard at the start. Unfortunately will have to take a break from the boat just had a melanoma removed from my back and the Doctors said no manual work for 4 weeks but I think I will start a bit before that. Have you sailed her in rough water if so what's she like as I will be in the north sea as soon as I leave the River Crouch estuary were we live.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:39 am
by vla
colinhart wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:42 am Looks good, because of the stupid Brexit we are now limited in the time we can spend on the Canals in Europe, Talk about an act of national suicide. Been working on the inside of my boat during the winter and when I can figure out how to post a picture I will send some up-dates. The fuel rates look really good, it's a very economical boat. Any idea how much ballast you put onboard at the start. Unfortunately will have to take a break from the boat just had a melanoma removed from my back and the Doctors said no manual work for 4 weeks but I think I will start a bit before that. Have you sailed her in rough water if so what's she like as I will be in the north sea as soon as I leave the River Crouch estuary were we live.
An English friend of ours has the same problems. She would like to visit her children in Brittany often. She has applied for a visa and can now go to France as often as she wants.
I hope that the melanoma can be removed successfully and I understand your urge to return to work sooner. Boat building is a serious addiction.
We have brought an estimated total of 500 kg of ballast on board. Especially for the bow. Otherwise the boat will lie slightly back in the water. I know that Peter Lus also did something similar on board the Luka.
Sailing on open water. We sailed on the Wadden Sea in good weather Bf 3. That is no problem, on the Mediterranean it was a little more restless Bf 4 or 5. Then it is a small boat so you have to pitch a bit and be careful when rolling. (I don't know if this is a correct translation of pitch and roll). But it is doable, just make sure you secure everything. So I think that on a calm day the crossing to the mainland should not be a problem. First from Creeksea to Ramsgate and then the crossing to Dunkirk?
Sailing in France is a party! (Don't forget to buy a vignette at the VNF, about 275 euros for a whole year). I understand that many Brits want to go to France, but don't forget Belgium and the Netherlands!
If you are going to make the crossing, send me an email and I will see if I can be on the reception committee together with Peter. There has never been an international TW28 meeting, so it must happen!

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:41 am
by colinhart
Thanks for the info really helpful. I went over the top by putting two fuel tanks in for a total of 430 litres and about the same for water so this will be appro 830 kg when full. Put the water tanks at the centre of gravity so hopefully will only go up as they empty. There is a space under the bed at the bow which I will be able to fill with ballast.
Re the melanoma they have taken it off waiting for the results to see if anything else needs doing. Sitting around doing nothing is driving me crazy. Doing some studying of navigation as I am doing the RYA yacht master coastal course in March. I am so looking forward to be able to set sail. Did the cross channel once some time ago in a 38foot sailboat from Ramsgate aiming for Calais but the wind shifted and ended up in Ostend it was great fun.