Page 1 of 1

Hope2float's P-21 in Jackson

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 pm
by Hope2float
It's been a while since I logged in, but always watching. I could not start on friday the 13th, so I pushed it to Saturday. As I promised the wife the additions to the house are complete and I received my CO. I now have the blessing form the boss to begin the boat. Friday the 13th! my grandmother would be turning in her grave if she was in one. Many old superstitions run long and deep in my family, not so much from my generation. So I thought it was best not to f#*% with them. Remember the Titanic. enough said.

I have started to cut lumber. One of my best friends Billy came over to get the game going. what a help it is to have an extra set of hands and even better, when there attached to a Brain. We were able to get the transom cut and all the rips for inside and outside stringers. My garage/shop is now put back together and I don't have to search for tools and supplys that were displaced in a trailer in front of my house.

I will post as many good pictures that I can. I tried to post pic but forgot the method.
ImageImage

Re: Hope2float's P-21 in Jackson

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:26 pm
by Larry B
Looking forward to pictures of your progress

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:48 pm
by chicagoross
All right! That's about 3 milestones already - being approved, deciding on the design, and actually starting to cut wood! Everybody looks happy, but the shop doesn't look "lived in" yet!

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:44 pm
by Cracker Larry
the shop doesn't look "lived in" yet!
The shop doesn't look big enough to build that boat in either :lol:

Welcome back too it H2F 8) Looking forward to watching it. Great start!

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:28 am
by sitandfish
Cracker Larry wrote:
the shop doesn't look "lived in" yet!
The shop doesn't look big enough to build that boat in either :lol:

Welcome back too it H2F 8) Looking forward to watching it. Great start!
This shop does. I think it is right OUTSIDE that other shop. :D

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:59 pm
by Hope2float
Ok thanks for the poking about the shop. I know it's small , but it has been turned upside down for 7 years. I am just getting it back in working order. It is a one car garage and not able to have the boat built inside. I can do individual pieces. Assembly will have to occur outside.
I plan to have the hull outside completed before the winter and prepare the other pieces inside that insulated, heated and cooled one car garage shop. Here are some pictures of it. A little blurry from camera settings that I have not resolved yet.
This pic shows stringers ontop of plywood stack and HVAC for shop above dado blade holder upper right. Just wondering if you guys are hot yet HA Ha HA ? Just kidding no real hard feeling all in fun.
Shop has not been used much yet, but I will give it a workout. My other tools are kept on the jobsite in 7x14 cargo trailer. This is just what I won't take to a job. The floor is painted with Ben Moores industrial coating 2 part epoxy the color is yellow squash. It is the same as sawdust. I chose the white walls and light floor, because the eyes aren't as good as they used to be and bright helps out alot. I have 7 cabinet carcas kits under the drill press of which I will be using only two of them. I need to make 3 cabinet doors with plexiglass panels and the garage is 100% finished.
Today I will cut clamping boards.

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:10 pm
by gstanfield
It may not be the largest shop around, but it is nice and organized and well equipped. :D Wish my shop was that clean :oops:

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:01 pm
by Cracker Larry
That is a great and well organized shop. Very nice tools :!: I can tell you're going to build a really nice boat 8)

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:29 pm
by NW Trout
Way too nice for me and too small for me. Although dig the idea of wheeled tool stands. Very good idea in tight shops.

Wife asked one time about doing the high tech garage floor coating. I thought for a brief instance and said "No way." I have a hard enough time keeping the nice parts of the house clean let alone a garage with tools, toys, bikes, boat, fishing gear, etc.

My garage has splotches of paint and epoxy on the bare concrete floor. And I like it that way.

Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:04 pm
by Hope2float
Hey guys
For what its worth I am posting some pics of my table saw cross cut jig. It is the width of the top and as deep as well. 5/4 pine for the back and front on edge. Front section is 5/4x6" cut down on sides to create finger protection from blade. 5/4 must be high enough not to be cut in two with saw at max blade height . Front area must be square to the blade. Cut only half way through when making it. Use a 2' framing square to that line and set front stop. use hardwood rails in miter slots but not deep enough to bottom out. Pull foward and screw rails to the bottom, push back off rear and repeat. do this before setting stop for square. When finished cut through completely and enjoy. It may be a little stiff at first but will soon wear in. If you make your first one temporary it will be like mine 13 years.
Because it moves pencil tape can be left on table while operating it if careful
This is the front section with finger guard
This shows saw running with indexing line in front were the blade runs through just mark your wood set it on that line and cut.
This will allow easy safe and rapid cutting of stock or small panels.
If you guys don't find this usefull I will delete it. If you have any question I would be happy to help.
Next is the clamping boards cut with a router.
Changed nesting a bit to use 1 Sheet of plywood instead of two by going far right and then far left. the remianing sole pieces can be cut from one sheet later.

Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:10 pm
by gstanfield
Very nice cuts and amazingly straight, which I'm not too good at with a rotary tool such as a router. The home made jig for the table saw is neat too, always good ideas to be had. Thanks for sharing.

George

Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:18 pm
by cape man
Keep posting! I'm learning here!

Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:47 pm
by sitandfish
Hope2float wrote:...If you guys don't find this usefull I will delete it...
No one is going to ask you to delete anything. We will probably ask you the same question more that once, though. We forget. :wink:

Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:51 pm
by Larry B
Lookin good there. I'll be sure to follow this one. I thing everyone here likes to see different ideas on cutting and nesting. I think Jaques does a wonderful job in the nesting, but it depends on the builder also. Very nice cutting job.

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:14 am
by Hope2float
Hey George, the cut on the transom is ok and made with battery saw. Fine tune the cut with a belt sander and you have the template the router uses 1/2" collet size with a 1"x5/16 flush cut bit. It is the reverse of a pattern bit. The template is on the bottom instead of the top. You just need to know where it is and the router will follow the template exact. All you need to do is keep slight pressure against template piece. The boat pieces are usually two identical so therefore make one nice and proper and use the router to make an exact copy of the first piece. Its like half of a CNC machine. I think the saying goes measure once and cut as many as you want.
These are pics of clamping boards. Thank you for the encouragement I don't want to fill you guys up with yada yada yada or bull doo doo.

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:46 am
by cape man
But we absolutely love yada yada yada and especially bull doo doo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your work is great and can't wait to see you putting this girl together.

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:10 am
by gk108
Heck, that's the format I try to use in my building threads. Yada, yada, random boat term, yada. Cut yada yada and glued it to yada. Yada sanding! Yada DWL yada scuppers yada PPI. Bull doo doo stumps, yada graphite. Painted yada this color and yada that color. SPLASH! :lol:

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:15 am
by topwater
Keep it comming , i for one dont know alot about woodworking tools and could use all the info
and tricks.

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:47 am
by mecreature
yada yada and beer. I caught this thread at a good spot.

looking good keep pics coming.

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:02 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks all, Jaques nesting is fine. In small shop like mine being able to use one sheet instead of two half sheets helps to keep it organized and compact. There was no additional wood savings just a change in when its cut. I was able to save some wood on the stringer rips by changing the pecking order a little. Wound up with all stringers cut out of three sheets saving some misc. pieces on various sheets. Had three rips leaving about 3/4" max left over.
Dave

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:56 pm
by bonz
I'm in Dave!!! looking good buddy can't wait to see a hull in that driveway... :?:

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:29 pm
by bonz
Haaa that was a good day!!!! :lol:

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:08 pm
by colonialc19
Dave, I'm digging the yada 8) , keep up the good work, and keep posting. Love the shop btw.

Daniel

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:40 pm
by Hope2float
OK here we go the decision has been made to build the 21ft version not the scaled up version. Today the weather in Jackson was stellar. My mind worked much faster than this body could keep up with. My mind said cut these panels and join them the body said pace yourself, just cut them, don't rush. Felt like I was in a marathon lay them out cut, rerpeat. All said and done got them all cut. Cleaned up the shop and put a plan together for tomorrow. The Picture below shows the router bit I was talking about.
This next picture shows using a machinest square to position the PVC on the line.
This next photo shows the panel being layed out.
The Next are the sides cut and layed out in the driveway.
As you can see I am still having a problem with the camera focus. This is the days results, Cut all sides and bottom panels. I didn't pay attention to the nesting and hacked up leftover front panel and nesting shows reversing. Too late
Dave

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:55 pm
by Larry B
Looking good. You got a lot done in a day. Sure be nice to see that hull fill up the driveway :D

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:48 am
by Hope2float
Well folks just a short update. Panel assembly table. These osb sheets will become station frames after side, bottom and stringers are glued up. It is a real back saver.
I plan on screwing the panels to shim for straight joint. I will try to keep up on pics so newbees can see. The legs are old 2bys from the job we are on this will be there last use before landfill or firepit.
He goes the days events.

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:24 pm
by bonz
Looking great Dave!! 8) The table great idea :idea:

Soon as your ready I come over and help you bend it into a hull.....

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:30 am
by topwater
Dave how much did you wood did you remove from the splice area and what did
you use to do it, router? I am going to do the same thing but all i have is a
power planer. I was thinking of doing the same thing around the transom also.

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:48 pm
by Hope2float
Topwater I used a powerplane also. Maybe I took out 16th max. set plane on about 32nd two passes guage by eye. 12 oz is about a heavy 32 when cured. Only on outsides of hull to reduce fairing. I also did this on fl12 worked great.
Dave
On the transom area I will also maybe a little deeper there is alot of glass there.

Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:51 pm
by topwater
Thanks Dave.

Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:45 pm
by Hope2float
No photos tonight will post some soon. I completed joining the bottom and side panels. I also straightened the assembly table to prepare for the stringers. Will cut them tomorrow and try to get some pictures up.
Dave

Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:38 am
by sideslippa
Nice splices Hope2float, I did exactly the same thing, with a power plane inside and out, helped a bit with fairing. Need all the help you can get with that hey!!

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:24 pm
by Hope2float
Weather in northeast has been brutal. Mid 90s all week. Slow going, but have the first outside stringer complete and plan to glue up the other after it cools a little. I will glue it outside then bring it in garage which is air conditioned. The wood has been in the garage all day so it is pretty cool. Had the first stringer almost go nuclear very little time to set it. So I'm trying a new approach. Well anyway here are some photos. Hey slippa that is the truth about fairing any little bit helps.
Dave

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:42 pm
by Hope2float
Some advancement over the last couple of days. With the help of my buddy Billy, AKA bonz, we were able to get both inside stringers glued up. One mixing the other spreading glue. Sprinkle Earl roared through on Friday for about 20 minutes. Then he blew out of Dodge. Today was a good day I got the stringers cut into shape and fine tuned. I turned the assembly table into the station molds. Painted them with exterior paint. Drew the base line on each. Not much to show pic wise but here goes.
stringers, side and bottom panels.
Brielle always helping with the painting. The most important creature in my life.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:03 pm
by Hope2float
Family BBQ today. Have to rap up early. Here is pic of mocked stations.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:22 pm
by gstanfield
Looking good :D Have you had any interest from neighbors yet? seeing a boat being built tends to draw people in around here. Usually they don't say anything, but they slow down really slow as they drive by :D

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:54 pm
by Hope2float
George the neighbors are waiting for this boat to appear. I know what you mean about the slow downs. They have all been asking what size and then reply wow are you serious. A couple have mulled over the plans. I know when the stiching of the hull is happening it will draw the neighborhood crowd. I plan to stich this weekend coming up if I receive the epoxy I ordered friday. Went through alot on the stringers. In case anybody wants to know how much. Outside stringers 6oz pretreat 2 batches of 12oz for glue Each one. Outside 9oz pretreat 2 batches of 15oz glue each one. Yielded about 1/16 glue joint throughout stringer.
Ok todays events went smooth I layed out and cut Frame C, motorwell sides and leg well sides from two sheets 3/8 ply. I have a pic of stations and the rest stored like index cards because of the small shop.
Dave
Felt like I wasn't getting enough done, but I had to remind myself it is not a race.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:47 am
by sideslippa
Crikey! that's gunna be a big boat. Those stringers look gunbarrel straight...nice job. It is a nice time of the build I really enjoyed the job of cutting out the stringers, panels and frames. You are correct, don't rush it, enjoy it!

If you get bothered with too many friends and "helpers" :roll: Don't worry, the all vanish when you get the fairing board out. :D It doesn't seem to take long to get to that stage.

Slippa

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:06 am
by bonz
You can count on me Dave,,,,,,,,,

To leave you alone at about that point... :lol: Does look great bro see you soon!!!!

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:52 pm
by mecreature
Great job. Looks like a lot of fun.

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:59 pm
by Hope2float
Trial fit the stations today with a little help from Bonz and his wife. Had a little dilema with stringer length and notches. I must of had a brain fart and calculated wrong. I didn't pick up on this until all were cut and the motorwell sides were off Stringer was about 1 3/8" too long. Thought about re-cutting notches and repairing stringers. Then measured what was to be correct from plan and motorwell was still off. Checked motorwell dimensions to plan and they were balls on. Decided to let motorwell dictate the final say. I cut the stringer length off back which leaves me with a short stringer overall. I will pad bottom of each in the front radious with woodflour and scab to reconfigure angle. :doh:
Anyway here are some pics.

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:59 pm
by Hope2float
Made some progress today, but still playing with mocking things up. Got epoxy order, lumber for the jig its almost party time. Got the jig base almost complete. I made up some corners for stations because I know 2xs will twist in about a week. I ordered Microllam beams for the long runs. These are pin straight lag bolted 2x8 as cross members. I also sheathed top deck of jig although not complete yet. Here goes some pics.
This camera is driving me nuts. Almost ready to throw it down the block.

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:50 am
by topwater
Dave good move on the lvl mico lams, i learned the hard way. But at least i have two 2 by 8 by 24
that i will use for staging to work on the bottom :)
John

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:03 am
by topwater
Dave make sure you have enough height at the bow mold so when you rap the sides around
you clear the lvl's . That boat has a pretty good up sweep at the shear line to the bow.
Ask me how i know :wink:

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:51 am
by Dougster
Wish I'd known about lvl's before I started my Nina build. I had some problems with the jig that caused trouble, and I had to fight it all the way through flipping the hull and getting the frames in. The hull finally came out true but it was a big fiddle to get it there. Time and $$ on the jig seems worth it to me, plus you'll have the lvl's left over for the next build :lol: Sure look forward to following this thread. BTW, I didn't notch my stringers, so it'd be easier to adjust the stations. Surely the notched stringers make a stronger joint, but after tape, glass, and sole, I dunno think the frames are gonna move.

Got the BBV Dougster

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:27 am
by Hope2float
Topwater I think bow could be a problem. I called Lane to ask him what his measurments were. I was thinking of positioning bow off the end of jig keep the first station towards front of jig. This would bring the front of bow close to the ground, but maybe not interfere with jig. Thanks for stopping a possible mistake and looking ahead.
Anyway here is a picture of the completed jig. I had to wait for HD to open 7:00am yesterday. I banged it out early and painted it to prepare for today's weather. The lvls were a good choice they were pin straight, but they did cost some money about 125.00 for the two plus 75.00 for the 3/4 plywood sheathing. I used sheathing to keep it square and have a place to clearly mark reference marks on like a centerline to check molds for twist. I also thought about a 3/8 hole in each station at the intersect point of baseline and half mark. Drill a small hole in f station insert string and tread through all stations at hole to keep things in line. maybe a little overkill. Any thoughts :)

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:34 pm
by Hope2float
Couldn't just look at the jig all day, rain stopped so i went to work. I see a possible problem with e frame it is sitting low 5/16 at stringers but even at keel. I will check cuts on Stations for correct dimensions. I could have used a much smaller jig length too late now. The bow mold issues made me push it far forward. I wasn't going to build another set of station legs. Heres some pics.

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:42 pm
by gstanfield
Looking good :D

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:50 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Folks
Gave stitching a run for it today. I like to mock things up before a final go at it. The panels went on like a glove. First bow curve a little tight but it took it without any cracking or popping. This was only a trial run still have some fine tuning on the stringers and such. Took about three hours including dinner. Transom was not ready to be installed. I still have to glue clampimg boards on it. To Jacques and shine great work on layout it fit like a glove. She has some real nice lines better to look at in person then pictures. To the photo junkies here goes.

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:55 pm
by wegcagle
Beautiful. It does have better lines in person. Great job on the start of it. I loved this stage, it's like 0 to boat in only a couple of weeks.

Will

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:14 pm
by Bowmovement
Boats coming together real nice. I am watching this build alot. P21 is one of my favorites.

Matt

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:47 pm
by Hope2float
Finally tackled the transom gluing. I put if off until it was needed. Just didn't want to mix a half a gallon of wood flour to lay it up in one shot. I did make a stirring bit from an old speed bore drill bit. Iground off the point, rounded it and put a little twist in it. It was a high speed mixing paddle for those 18oz batches.
Dave
I used a dowel to key the clamping boards I know I shown this before, but sometimes it takes a little time to sink in. :lol: :P
I wanted to ask if the tight joint at the keel is a problem for tacking the hull. At the chine is it ok for them to touch on the inside seam with about 120 degrees at the outside section of open surface for tacking?

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:53 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Folks, the first thing is to Tlloyd. Start a build thread, then study plans. You can cut all your panels for sides and bottom then join them together. Then cut all stringers and glue them. Then cut transom and clamping boards and glue them. Jig is way too long if you don,t want to use a ladder to look down the keel from the ground. I used 3/4 plywood station legs the rest on a fully sheathed jig. It is easy to mark and move. A plywood square will set the stations at the proper angle. The jig must not have any twist in it or bow in the middle. I used a transit level for equal measurements on corners. The jig can slope as long as there aren;t any twists eg. 22'' 22'' rear 10" 10" front. Make jig 19' set station f @ 40" from rear and carry dimensions foward, this will require small notch in bow mold at bottom. This is using 40 1/4" station leg height set at the baseline. These will allow you to look down the keel from standing height. I'm 5'10" tall. When all stations are set use transit to ckeck each stations base line height. If the jig slopes use only right and left measurements for the same mold. Stringer will show if there is a mistake in heights before you stitch. I hope this helps.

Now for the update I got transom installed on motorwell sides but not glued on. All stitching is complete and holes from stitches are filled. Bow has the second coat of wood flour. General shaping of chine edge has begun. tomorrow I will sand again to prepare for taping. I do have a question. Is it better to use the purple filler with micro balloons to fill the weaves in joining seams or is there something better?
The Weather in NJ has been great. I had a couple of good days in on the boat.
Dave

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:48 pm
by Cracker Larry
Is it better to use the purple filler with micro balloons to fill the weaves in joining seams or is there something better?
Yes, and yes :lol: If you bought the epoxy/fiberglass kit it will have some purple filler (blended filler) in it. I like it for the first coat or 2 for filling the weave and edges. Then I like to switch to Quick Fair for the final fairing coat, it's a little smoother, sands a little finer, cost a little more :roll:

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:19 pm
by Hope2float
Back again this time transom is installed and filleted. Taping of the chine, keel and bow are complete. Here is some pics.
Managed to get all done wet on wet. This kicked my bass. Wet out both layers of keel and bow at the same time. It felt like I was pouring 9oz batches down a hole. Oh yeh I know the tape didn't meet that good at the bow. I couldn't reposition it after i pressed it on the precoat grabbed it immediately.

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:55 pm
by Cracker Larry
Very nice. Man that's a lot of boat. Will it still fit in the garage? Is it OK to ask the question :lol:

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:06 pm
by Larry B
Bowmovement wrote:Boats coming together real nice. I am watching this build alot. P21 is one of my favorites.

Matt
Matt, I think you should build a P21 :D Then I'll bring down my OD and we can go out fishing. If we go far out we'll take your P21 :D :D Heck I'll even come down and watch you sand :D I'll furnish my own beer :D

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:06 pm
by wegcagle
Looks great so far. She may fit in the garage now, but there's NO WAY once she's flipped and the pilot house is in :D

Will

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:08 pm
by Hope2float
Larry I do have a question. When I stitched the bow together it pulled off the center of the molds about 1/4" on the centerline in essence giving it a slight more deadrise do you think this is a problem? It is still dead even down the centerline. You can ask me question if you need to 8)
Thanks for the compliments and the reminders of the fairing nightmare ahead. Fairing is not fair!
Oh yeh, I think the garage will now fit in the boat :lol:
'

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:25 pm
by Cracker Larry
Larry I do have a question. When I stitched the bow together it pulled off the center of the molds about 1/4" on the centerline in essence giving it a slight more deadrise do you think this is a problem? It is still dead even down the centerline.
None. Pretend it didn't happen and move on 8) A little more deadrise at the bow will not hurt a thing.

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:19 pm
by Bowmovement
Larry B wrote:
Bowmovement wrote:Boats coming together real nice. I am watching this build alot. P21 is one of my favorites.

Matt
Matt, I think you should build a P21 :D Then I'll bring down my OD and we can go out fishing. If we go far out we'll take your P21 :D :D Heck I'll even come down and watch you sand :D I'll furnish my own beer :D
I aint got the room nor the cash for that build. I may be in a position here a a couple months to start a build though. May have a new job lined up wich if all works out will double my income with less work. :D No office just wait at home and wait for a call. That means time and money=boat. Just need to decide between OD18 or FS17. It will be a fishing platform first and relax boat second.

Sorry about the hijack

Boat is coming together nicely.

Matt

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:14 am
by topwater
Looking good, i hope to sling some glass this weekend.

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:55 am
by topwater
Dave been making any progress ? I have a question for you, i am looking for a router to use on the boat
what size and make would you suggest ? Would like to use by hand and also be able to put into a router table.

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:14 pm
by TomW
TW here is my favorite router. I would get the 694VK variable speed with the two bases. Put the fixed base on the router table and use the variable base for the hand routing. Varible speed is important to me as it keeps from burning different species of wood and in different sizes of bit. You don't want to be using a 1" bit at full speed. If not the twin bases at least get the variable speed one. The 690LRVS. These will work well for you for a long time. If you plan to do a lot of wood working over time then you would probably want to move up to a 3hp router in the table.

http://woodworker.com/1-34hp-vs-fixed-p ... rch=Porter Cable routers&searchmode=2

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:59 pm
by Hope2float
TW tom hit the nail on the head. I use a 690 series 3/4 hp hand held from Porter cable. They are great and very easy to handle. I don't have variable speed option on mine, but that will help in turning larger bits that could be a problem at 10,000 rpms. I always liked porter cable routers and have been using the one I got in 1997 and it is still kicking ass. I use the bigger one in my router table. No I have not gotten anything done on the boat. My dad gave me a 2009 Harley Davidson 883 sportster, so i had to get a permit take the safety course and get my license. Took about two weeks. I will post some pics later.
Dave

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:07 am
by topwater
Thanks dave and Tom, I have a 6" port cable DA sander and like it very much. I will have more
questions about bits and speed later on. Thanks again. John

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:15 am
by topwater
I ended up getting what i thought was a good deal on a porter 895pk for 232.00 it was only 15.00 more than
the 694vk, 2 1/4 hp i hope its not over kill. I figure it will be in a table setup most of the time and the added
hp wouldnt hurt.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:32 am
by TomW
That's a steal, great deal with the VS and both bases and height adjustment handle you did just fine. You won't regret the extra power in the table. The extra weight when hand routing might be a little bit of a disadvantage but not much. Again put the fixed base in the table and keep the plunge base for hand routing.

Tom

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:33 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Guys a little late, but happy holidays to all. I have been watching all the progress going on. I haven't commented on alot of the work, but it looks great. Just a quick pic to show the current conditions of my outdoors garage. I coated it with epoxy and covered it for the winter. Looking to get back on it as soon as possible. I feel like I'm falling way behind. I know this is not a race, but waitng for the weather to break is killing me. Anyway good to see u all here is the pic.
Dave

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:30 pm
by fastlane
hey Dave. It wont be long and you will be back in business. i know your probably laying in bed at night working on it in your mind and its killing you. The weather is gong to break soon and you will be slinging epoxy like a mad man. Ive been pretty busy on my P21. swing by when you get a chance. Ive made some major progress since the last time i saw you.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 pm
by cape man
That picture is scary! You guys that live where the water comes down frozen have guts for sure.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:19 pm
by Hope2float
Hey all I have been back at it this week. I got the hole drilled for the transducer and filled with woodflour. This was done before laying glass on the hull, that way it is part of the core not just a big blowout patch in the hull. I had a good couple of days. I got the biax on the bottom and the sides complete and the first layer of micro ballons to fill the weave on the transom. I also got 3/4 of the hull bottom done. I'll be back at it tomorrow. Larry I still didn't hear from you shoot me an email.
Dave

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:22 pm
by Hope2float
Yesterday was a good day today not so great. All i got done was second coat of micro balls on the transom. It was very cool last night so the epoxy didn't cure hard enough to sand. Felt some frustration, but I guess thats how it goes. Heres some pics
Dave

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:32 pm
by wej
Looking good mate!!

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:19 am
by topwater
Good to see you back at it again :!: It wont take to long to pass me by, i am still working on fairing
the bottom and the transom. I am on the fourth pass on the botton and transom. The glass work looks
real nice, Are you going with a shoot thru or thru hull transducer ? The reason i ask is when i did mine
i was told not to use wood flour for a shoot thru, something about air pockets in the wood fiber. I used
choped glass and silica just in case i went with a shoot thru. You mite want to ask somebody that knows more about
this as i am only a active poster :wink:

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm
by Hope2float
TW nice to hear from you. The answer to the transducer is a thru hull. The diameter in the hull is 3" for raymarines thru hull transducer that needs 2 3/8" hole. I covered it with the 2 layers of biax. I used wood flour as the core just to control water damage. Anyway here are some pics of the fairing results on the transom. I needed to add just a little more micro balls and it would have looked better, but the end results were better than I expected. I applied 2 coats of micro balls before sanding at all. It was acheived wet on wet. Looked like a mirror at first, after 20 minutes it developed runs that exceeded 1/4" in height. 8O
The pictures in the gallery are full size when I post them the right side gets cut off. Don't know how to stop this, but saw something somewhere how to fix it. :doh:
Here are the pics with touch up to first fairing.
Dave

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:36 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks Larry for your advice. I did sand the micro balls down to weave and applied another layer of 12 oz to the area just forward of the transom to build up the low spot. I also started to make the rubrail. All I did was pattern the profile, drop it 2" and scribe it again. Then I cut the profile with small saw and fine tuned it with a belt sander. When I was satisfied with the template I made 5 more identical pieces with a pattern bit in the router.
Dave

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:04 am
by topwater
Dave i did pretty much the same thing for the rub rails only i dont know much about routers and that would have saved me some time making them " i used a disc sander on my table saw ". I used two layers of 3/8 " ply and lined everything up
on the hull and installed some dowels to hold everything in place. Took everything apart ,covered the rails with glue and
glued both sides in one shot. It seemed to save a lot of time and came out nice. Just a thought.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:36 am
by Steven
That is looking very good. I have the same problem with fairing filler. Never seem to get it thick enough not to sag.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:34 pm
by Hope2float
Today my epoxy order arrived and I started to fill the pock marks from the extra 12oz in the transom section. Had a long day at work so I couldn't do much. Larry gave me some advice to add cloth to build up the hook in the hull from all the tape build up. Tomorrow I will coat again with the micro ballons and check to see if I'm getting close. I've been trying to put a couple of hours in everyday religiously or this thing will not progress. Anyway here are some pics.
Dave
BTW FAIRING IS NOT FAIR ok said it again! It sucks

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:16 pm
by whosmatt
Looks good to me. I started out using the purple microballoon filler and switched to quikfair once I got closer. That REALLY speeds things up, especially if you're still dealing with cooler temps. It's worth the extra cash, in my opinion.

-M

Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:02 pm
by wej
Looking good man!!!

Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:35 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks here are some pics of getting close to were it needs to be. I'm about a 16th off in the low spots maybe less. Still got some waves to deal with. It is real close to getting the long board treatment.
I used water to get a look at a shiney finish. It helps to see results in between fairing. It's not a perfect indicator though. After primer I will use a 7 watt light bulb casting from the side in the dark. This will show all low spots.
Dave

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:31 pm
by Hope2float
Quick update, weather here in jersey was horrible this week. I did a lot of board sanding and a little filling. She is getting real close to fair on the bottom 8' up from transom. Tomorrow should be a rael good day.
Dave

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:29 pm
by Hope2float
Hey guys
Got a question. I would like to prime the bottom to get it all one color so as to see were it needs attention. I sanded again today and applied another coat of straight epoxy over the bottom. My question is this I have system3 primer and i saw pictures of this peeling. Do you think its safe to fair areas over it or is there a risk of it not bonding well. should all fairing be completed first?
Dave

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:46 pm
by wegcagle
Dave,

The system 3 primer is great. Easy to work with, and easy to roll/tip. I applied 2 coats in one day, then sanded the next day, and applied a 3rd coat. Mine was hard as a rock after I applied it. The high build did a great job covering small pin holes. Anything larger than a pin hole will need fairing/sanding though. This is pretty much typical of all high build primers though. The system 3 topcoat on the other hand leaves something to be desired :? Mine is already peeling in some areas. The only good part is that I really didn't like the color after I applied it anyway. I will be going with either Sterling or Awlgrip for my topcoat, just depends which one I can get cheaper.

It is definitely safe to fair over the top of it, because it is epoxy based 2 part primer. Just remember that you will need to have it ALL primered before applying the topcoat (I know this seems obvious, but I've seen people mess up this part only to have the topcoat peel right off :doh: )

Boat looks great now, I can't wait to see pictures with primer. She's gonna shine 8)

Will

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:24 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks Will, That was my feeling too. Just wanted to see if there were any horror stories. I guess not. Anyway I had a real good couple of days on the fairing. There is still plenty more to go. I have been sanding and filling for weeks. I had a painful error. I should have used micro balloons to fill the weave before laying 6oz over 12oz. I have paid the price for a brain fart or not a clear understanding of when filler could be applied. I have been punching out air bubles with a dremil tool with 1/16 glass etcher carbide bit and refilling with filler. It would have taken 2 hours to fill the weave before glassing with 6oz , but I chose the 10 day fix instead. :doh:
On a lighter note I made good progress and here are some pics.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:57 pm
by Hope2float
Had a good weekend on the boat. Got alot of fairng completed. There is still more to come but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Dave

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:05 pm
by gstanfield
Looking good :D

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:08 pm
by peter-curacao
gstanfield wrote:Looking good :D
I agree! real good and massive!

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:30 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks George and Peter, Just staying at it until fairing is over.
Dave

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:06 pm
by wej
I read somewhere here about dusting it with spray paint they running the board over, any specks of spray paint will be easy to spot.

It's looking great!

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:40 pm
by Hope2float
Hey folks
I've been sick for about two weeks. I had a bad upper respiratory infection. The weather wasn't so great either, it was very hot. I been back at it for about a week. Yup you guessed it still fairing. I think I hit a small milestone, I have moved on with quick fair. It is a breeze to sand, but I think getting close as you can with microballs is better. It is probably stronger. Here are some pics although they may appear as if i'm moving backwards, its not the case.
Dave

I've been over this hull at least 5 times and it is a monster to sand. Although not as bad as TW28/32 or NV23

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:06 am
by topwater
Looking good :!: Thats about were i am at this point.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:36 pm
by wej
I think it's looking great!!!

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:29 pm
by Steven
Fairing is a milestone. In that first pic, it looks like you cut through the glass on the keel??? If so, you will want to tape back over that.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:52 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks Steve for pointing that out. The bow glass is barely touched, what you see is microballoons not sanded. After looking at the pics I saw what you were talking about. I got port side bottom faired with QF and will be working on it this weekend. Any thoughts on this, I plan to make the strakes out of gorilla hair moulded in 1 1/2 aluminum channel then wood flour glue to hull. I thought this would be better than wood covered in glass. I figured if you can repair polyester glass with epoxy than you should be able to glue it to the hull.
Dave

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:45 pm
by Hope2float
Hey folks I finally got the hull bottom faired. Been over this thing more times than i can count. I also installed the spray rails and filleted them to the bottom. Here are some pictures of the progress.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:31 pm
by Hope2float
Hey guys got the strakes cut, shaped and installed on hull. I put a coat of epoxy over the QF and sanded it with 80p. Then i layed out the strakes and installed them. Lots of work for four pieces of wood. Scrapped the idea of forming strakes in angle, too much epoxy and glass to make it work. I will just cover strakes with glass. Here are the pics.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:43 pm
by Hope2float
Hey folks
Its been a couple of months since the last post. I had a very tough summer. Had to work almost all weekends and work all week. I did manage to get some things done on her. First off I would say making the strakes out of wood gave some quick visual. Then the fun began filling the screw holes, sanding, covering with one layer of glass, sanding, covering with another layer of glass and still to come micro balloons some more sanding and another coat of epoxy. With all this being said, I should have ordered some chopped glass and took Cracker Larry's advice and used an angle to make strakes. Lesson learned!
There has been some progress I managed to get the rub rails glued on, shaped and covered with goo. Here are some pics of the progress.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... C00401.JPG
This is after two layers of glass and the way it sits now.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... C00399.JPG
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... C00400.JPG
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... C00425.JPG
Hope to have some more progress before winter sets in.
Dave

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:50 pm
by wej
The thought being you wouldn't have to glass the poured strakes like you have to the wooden ones? Just making sure I follow what you are saying.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:36 am
by topwater
Nice work dave.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:17 pm
by Hope2float
That's what i'm saying. If i had waited one week for glass materials to arrive I wouldn't be still looking at completion. In my opinion the all glass strakes would be far superior to wood covered with glass. I guess you live and learn :)
Topwater how are things going on yours. It has really been a slow go on mine. Too much work not enough money. Thanks for shout. Hope to see some of your progress.
Dave

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:45 am
by topwater
Dave ive been picking away at it, hope to be laying some primer on it by the end of this week.
Who would have thought it would take four months to fair this boat :doh: Walked out into
the shop yesterday and said to myself " put the quick fair down and slowly back away from the boat
and nobody will get hurt " .

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:01 am
by wadestep
topwater wrote: " put the quick fair down and slowly back away from the boat
and nobody will get hurt " .
But... But... just one more coat? please?

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:19 pm
by Hope2float
Hey folks i haven't posted in a while, but little things have been happening. I managed to get the rub rails completed and glassed in with 4oz. The strakes are completed with two layers of 4oz and 4 coats of epoxy. the transom is ready for last coat of epoxy before the primer. The bottom needs to have the last micro balls sanded and coated with epoxy before primer. I would like to have the bottom primed before winter sets in hard. I decided not to flip this year because there is too much work to the inside for water protection. With the build happening outside all work must be able to withstand getting wet. the epoxy cures to slow in these temps to warrant moving forward. I will probably do some cutting and joining some of the pieces over the winter. Well anyway here are some pics of the current progress.
Dave

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:32 pm
by chicagoross
It's a lot of work getting the bottom to that point. Good decision on flipping in the spring! Looks like you're in good shape for the snows at this point. You can work on handrails, etc. in the basement this winter! :D

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:33 pm
by Hope2float
Ross speaking of snow it snowed last night, An inch and 1/2 maybe stuck here. First time in my life we got snow before Halloween. Boat was cleaned off in the morning and temp went to the 50s. No more snow here, but where my dad lives they clocked in 15.5" just a two hour drive north. He lives in West Milford, NJ. I spent most of the day splitting and stacking firewood so I did not work on the boat. Won't be working on it next weekend either have to work all weekend.
Dave

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:06 am
by topwater
Looking good Dave, cover her up she will be there in the spring. My mom and dad live in Mass. they wont
have power for at leat a week. Who would have thought, a noreaster in october :!:

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:20 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Folks, It's been about a month since I posted. Been out on Lanes P21 for it's launch and first sea trials. I managed to get the fairing sanded, a final coat of epoxy and here it comes THE BOTTOM OF THE HULL IS PRIMED! Now she can rest for the winter and I can feel like I got somewhere in the progress. I have learned many lessons on this road. It seems like to achieve any goal there is always some kind of hurdle. Anyway here are some pics enjoy.
Dave

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:38 pm
by TRC886
She's looking good, Dave :!: I wish you had somewhere to work on her this winter...I'm sure that your BBV just got worse after helping to splash Lane's :help:

trc

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:51 am
by fastlane
Dave,

She is looking great. Now she is all sealed up so she will be fine and waiting for you again in the spring.
Thanks for helping out with the launch and taking all the great video!

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:36 pm
by cottontop
Dave, I just looked at your boat for the 1st time. She sure looks fine. I'll take Florida weather over ya'lls any time. John

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:42 pm
by Cracker Larry
Looks great, Dave! That's a good step to end the season with too 8)
I'll take Florida weather over ya'lls any time. John
I'm with Cottontop there :D I don't know how you stand it, not just the cold, but not being able to go boating and fishing every week or 2 all year around :doh: I'd go batshat :help:

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:58 pm
by kdog
Looking good Dave, hope to see you out there next year. Where are you planning to run the boat? Also where did Lane launch his?

C'mon Larry it's not that cold, we've had an extremely nice fall this year, except for that freak snowstorm in October :? . The weather has been great, I just went surfing the other day and the water is still pretty warm at 53 degrees. Sucks that we have to winterize our boats but that's the way it is up here. I was at my friends place in the Outer Banks in Sept for a surfing and fishing trip. I kept telling him how do you live down here with the heat and humidity? I was sweating my ass off I thought I was going to pass out haha. All relative I guess.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:17 pm
by fastlane
kdog wrote:Looking good Dave, hope to see you out there next year. Where are you planning to run the boat? Also where did Lane launch his?
Kdog, I'm in Howell, My slip and ramp are in the Manasquan river. we launched there and ran up to Asbury park and back. it was pretty cool out there but warmed up nicely.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:25 pm
by kdog
Oh OK FastLane, cool. Manasquan is nice I like that area. Nice boat!

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:13 pm
by Hope2float
Cl, TW, Lane and Ross thanks for your comments on the project. Special thanks goes out to Lane for allowing me to be a part of a great day. To my friends in the south it is not that cold here. I will post temps in early February when it really gets cold. It is not to bad in my garage, although a little tight in space. I should be able to get some things done that will have to be done anyway. Many pieces need to be cut and joined like the deck, sides and so forth. I will keep up posting of progress. TW that cradle looks like it will handle the job and then some. Thought I was going to be able to flip, but work and lack of money thought differently. Kdog the hailing port will be Brielle for a number of reasons. My daughter is named Brielle and also it is where I was married at The River House
Dave

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:29 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Folks back at it again. very mild winter in the northeast. I could have done some in winter but work got in the way. Anyway here are a few pics of continuing fairing. I hope to flip her soon, but that is going to take some planning.
Dave

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:40 pm
by chicagoross
That (blended filler) looks familiar... Too familiar...

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:27 pm
by Hope2float
We had some real nice weather over the past two weekends. I was able to put the major fairing of the sides to bed. I got a coat of epoxy on the one side.
Dave

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:45 pm
by Cracker Larry
Is that a fancy camo paint job, or tree shadows :lol: Glad you got out of hibernation early!

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:45 pm
by Hope2float
The camo pattern is called Northeast Autumn blend. Works well for hiding the boat on the front lawn. :lol:
Hey folks finally feel like I gained some progress. I was able to get another coat of epoxy on her, sand that off and get the first coat of primer on her sides. I also got the second coat on the bottom. Here are the pics. Still a little blotchy so I will give it some more. Getting ready to flip soon.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:57 pm
by peter-curacao
8O WOW that's just plain sexy! beautiful sharp hull! 8) Every time I see great work like this I wished I have done a better job on fairing my hull :roll: I think you van change your handle, she will definitely float! :wink:

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:56 am
by topwater
Dave the boat looks great in primer 8) Its good to be done with all that sanding " for awhile anyway "

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:09 pm
by chicagoross
Very nice! Flip! Flip! Flip! :D

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:35 pm
by wegcagle
Nice work Dave :!: :!: :!: She's gonna be amazing for sure 8)

Will

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:21 pm
by Cracker Larry
That looks really fine, Dave. Good work 8)

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 pm
by tobolamr
Looking really good... 8)

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:24 pm
by Hope2float
does anybody know what happened to the builder galleries it is showing up as coppermine with zero pics

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:27 pm
by Cracker Larry
Bateau is migrating to a new server. Jacques says we should expect unexpected problems :-) Somebody is working late tonight.

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:38 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks CL can't load pics of topside paint on the bottom. Something strange about that, but boat will not remain in the water more than 2 days at a clip. I live about 12 minutes away from the big pond.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:42 pm
by Hope2float
Hey guys can anyone help? I can't seem to load even a single picture it tells me there is a critical error and I exceeded the 500k limit on the file or something like that.
I woul like to post some pics of the bottom paint, flipping cradle and a video of the flip on youtube
Need step by step instruction.
dave

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:43 pm
by Cracker Larry
Picture forum is still broke. It's not you.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:06 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks Larry I can always count on you for a quick response
I saw others that were Able to load pictures thought I was doing something wrong.
I will try again when things seem to be working. Btw I can't believe how fast you faired that boat.
It looks great!
Dave

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:10 pm
by peter-curacao
Hope2float wrote:Thanks Larry I can always count on you for a quick response
I saw others that were Able to load pictures thought I was doing something wrong.
I will try again when things seem to be working. Btw I can't believe how fast you faired that boat.
It looks great!
Dave
You can post pics hosted else were like photo bucket if you like.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:26 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Peter thanks for the suggestion but I must admit computer skills are weak. In english I don't know how.
If anybody wants to see the flip search youtube Hope2floats P-21 flip
Dave
Gallerie seems to be still ^#$%@! Up I will try another day.
Dave

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:40 pm
by peter-curacao
Hope2float wrote:Hey Peter thanks for the suggestion but I must admit computer skills are weak. In english I don't know how.
If anybody wants to see the flip search youtube Hope2floats P-21 flip
Dave
Gallerie seems to be still ^#$%@! Up I will try another day.
Dave
I'm doing everything to bring this to the attention of the webmaster, unfortunately he or she acts like a non/don't care person :x It's a bloody shame though with all those fine forum members! :(

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:47 pm
by Aripeka Angler
The flip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn1XcgM6jGI

Congratulations for your accomplishment 8)

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:59 pm
by peter-curacao
Aripeka Angler wrote:The flip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn1XcgM6jGI

Congratulations for your accomplishment 8)
Thanks Richard for this movie! and hope to float, beautiful work, flawless flip, and a great kid commenting and watching out for mom! super entertaining super build! the real work starts now :wink:

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:10 pm
by Cracker Larry
Nicely done 8)

2 questions, what's cooking on that grill, and how much beer did all those big fellows drink :?:

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:19 pm
by Hope2float
Knew you guys would bail me out of the technical difficulty thanks. I would like to thank all my friends that I grew up with for traveling down to help with the flip. I also want to thank Lane for making his way over as well. It was a good time with friends food and a few beers. Thanks Richard for getting link on the forum. I will post progress as soon as this site works
Dave :D

We had Chicken wings, sausage peppers and onions the beers were moderate. All done on lump charcoal its just better I think

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:50 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Thanks Richard for getting link on the forum
Glad to help you Dave:) That sure was a cool flip video 8)
All done on lump charcoal its just better I think
That's mostly what I use too...

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:31 am
by topwater
Dave nice flip :!:

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:11 pm
by spdnby
Please keep the updates coming. Thank you.

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:31 pm
by chicagoross
Congrats on the flip! Looks like it went pretty smooth. Now you can look at a whole new set of things to do!

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:02 am
by fastlane
spdnby wrote:Please keep the updates coming. Thank you.
Dave is making good progress. I'll let him update when he gets around to it. He Probably would get more done if i didn't keep dragging him away to go fishing with me :).

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:42 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Guys got a quick question. If anybody knows if the station centers on D E can be removed for one large fuel tank? I would like to move it forward to offset the weight of the Yamaha 150 a little. I would like to keep the transom station in tact.
Dave

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:33 am
by topwater
Dave i removed the center section of frame D on my NV. But it is the way they show it on the plans.
Dont see why not, but you mite want to ask Joel first.

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:38 pm
by Hope2float
Ok, a big update this time. Since the flip thing have been going well except for the weather. It pretty much rained half the time since the flip. Anyway TW got the answer from Jaques the centers of the stations can be removed for the fuel tank. You have to add a layer of 12 oz in that box and up the sides of the stringer.

The first pic here is just after the flip. I filled the tape joints with microballons for the weave to be smooth for the laminations.
Taped chines and keel.
Laminated the bottom with 12oz and sides with 6oz. the plans don't call for 6oz on inside, but had problems with checking after painting so I opted for 6oz for abrasion and checking control
Tacked in stringers.
When I cut notches for stations I didn't fully understand the geometry for the measurement at the transom. Hence a mistake in length about 1 1/2 inch. used epoxy woodflour to extend stringer.
Converted all OSB plywood to real Merranti and trimmed all for Gap at the bottom and joined the C station in the center.
Taped in all stringers and ran a wider fillet at the bow. And just for good measure taped in a 12oz strip over fillet. Filled some weave in the bow for a cleaner compartment below birth area. I also ordered some pigment in beige color to brigthen it up.
The last pic is the epoxy fest for Friday night and saturday. also coverd the spray rails in 6oz and filleted them as well.
Tomorrow going fishing with Lane.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:11 am
by topwater
Moving right along Dave. You keep that up and you will catch and pass me 8)
Good luck fishing , catch a big striper for me , i really miss striper fishing :(

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:07 pm
by chicagoross
Excellent progress!

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:25 pm
by Hope2float
OK here goes one for TW. This was caught 3 weeks ago on Lanes P-21, which I will add is a fine FV.
Here are todays accomplishments. Feel like once again it kicked my A$$. But it is a little closer than it was this morning.
Lane stopped to by to let me know he was going down to the boat. NICE Taunt Bud! :D
Round off stringers in storage area to keep from picking up splinters. Also picked up some beige tint pigment. We will see how it works.
Thanks Ross
Dave

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:37 am
by Flea
Nice fish! and nice progress on the boat. Flea

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:10 pm
by Hope2float
Had a good weekend! I got the cleats installed in the bow area, that's what I'm concentrating on completing. Joel your trick worked with heating the pigment and adding some epoxy resin side to the mix.
The pigment worked good, but I should have filled the weave with microballons first. Overall it was to brighten up the storage area and protect fingers, gear from damage.
Also, the birth panel is cut, fit, joined and epoxy coated no pics of that. Here goes.
Didn't build today we took a motorcyle ride with some neighbors had a great time. Thanks all for the comments and support.
Dave

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:26 am
by topwater
Looking good Dave, what trick are you talking about with the tint :?:

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:38 pm
by Hope2float
TW when I received the pigment I tried to mix it in and it wouldn't desolve at all. I asked Joel if it was bad. He told me to heat it in the microwave for 10 sec to soften it and then add 1-2oz of resin side only to container that it came in. This would keep it soft and easy to desolve in epoxy. He also told me to desolve it in resin side before adding hardener. It worked like a charm. All 4oz that are in the pigment can are soft and easy to extract.
Dave

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:06 am
by topwater
Dave thanks, i woundered about mixing the tint. It seemed very thick. Adding 2 oz to the tint wont it
screw up the mix when you use it :?: To much resin to hardener :?:

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:21 am
by Hope2float
No, you only use a dollip of pigment per 6oz batch. It's not enough to offset the ratio. As per Joel's instructions it worked great.
Dave

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:53 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Guys, I've been at it for a while now. Went fishing with Lane on saturday, so no work on the boat. My uncle just got out of the hospital and the wife went to visit. She took all the fish from Saturday up there and my aunt turned it into a fish fry. To Lane thanks bud they all loved them. Now Back to the boat, got the motor well fit filleted and tape in place. I also managed to install the birth and put the second coat of fairing on her. Doesn't look like much, but as you all know it was a lot of work.
This is Lane and myself heading out for some fishing. Lane caught all the keepers which was seven. All in all I think we landed about 20 fluke for the day.

Now for some of the work on the boat.

I will be back at it in the morning.
Dave

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:55 pm
by Hope2float
Hey all small update. I managed to get transom edge glassed in with filler blocks. The foward side of station f motorwell and the remaining stations under the sole. I also finished the birth for the time being. I will be working on the cleats, poly foam and the gas tank layout. Here are the pics
If you are wondering about the backwards S on the Star Out, I wrote it from the center leaning over and from right to left :lol:
Hope all is well with my fellows self punishers.
Dave

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:09 pm
by Joe H
Looking good man! Looking good.

Joe h

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:25 pm
by Fonda@kauai
Looks super clean. Good job 8)

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:52 pm
by Hope2float
Here goes another small update. Worked on the cleats all day. I didn't get them all glued in, but got them fiited and ready for glue. There is a picture of the berth after microballs. I also managed to get E frame and D frame centers cut out and reloctaed to there new locations for fuel tanks and vertical stringer support. The original plan to remove them all together has changed due to the fact that I will be putting in a built in livewell, cooler/seat combo on the transom. This would not allow me to access filler/vent and sending unit. Hence the transom was cut at F station to allow tank to pertrude into motorwell. This will allow access.
Dave
The area you see cut below stringers is F station.
Here is a pic of the berth area after micros
Berth was glassed with 4oz cloth for protection.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:45 am
by topwater
Nice work Dave, i like how you rounded the end of the cleats to fit the fillet. I guess you used a 1/2 " round over bit
on a router.Berth came out nice. The best quote i got for a fuel tank was speedy tank you mite want to check
them out plus i think they are located in your neck of the woods so should save a little on shipping.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:44 pm
by Hope2float
Speedy tanks are the people who are going to build them. They are a few towns away from me. They also built Lane's tanks and some others on the Forum. Thanks for looking out for me it is appreciated.
Dave

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:20 am
by spdnby
Really looks good Dave, I wish I was there helping you so I could pick up some pointers and learn a thing or two.

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:34 pm
by Hope2float
TW
I just rocked the edge over my belt sander that I clamped in the vise. It was quick and effective, no need for the router. The router table would have worked also but I didn't think of it. Went to NYC Monday to meet some family up from florida. We started at South street seaport then walked over to the trade center. Stood about 100yds from the new freedom tower. It was awe inspiring to see it up close. It was also cool to see iron workers at the gates. They had American flag hard hats on and you could just feel the pride at the site.
Dave

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:18 pm
by Hope2float
Finally finished epoxying cleats to stringres and stations. I will either be working on the fuel tank floor or the motorwell. It took a whole day just accomplish the task,but it is now behind me. 8O Here are some pics.
Dave

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:16 am
by topwater
Nice job Dave, i see you are useing all the empty mixing cups for flotation :P

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:17 pm
by Hope2float
Not A bad idea, i have all the lids. It would be alot cheaper than foam. :lol: Today I just had to break away from the mundain (not sure of the spelling). I power planed the rubrail and got that finished. I also cut and fit the sole and as you can see I trmmed the C station. that is the bulkhead for cabin roof and wheel house. The temps here were 90s but the humidity was mind bending. I had to take it slow and steady. I was going to go fishing today,but work jumped in and changed that. The good thing is that I landed the job I looked at this morning. I guess it was worth it. Anyway here are the picyures of me playing around today.
Dave
I just couldn't take it looking like nothing was happening. Tomorrow I will be back at the under sole plumbing, Gas tank layout and sole supports. Thanks all for the support especially Lane for his imput and boat rides. 8)

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:58 am
by topwater
Looking good Dave , i see you put up a shelter to finnish the build in .

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:01 am
by Joe H
looks good dave,
thats about the stage i was at when i decided not to go with the hard top, nice progress, my progress has come to a stop for a while so i'll just keep an eye on yours! ha

joe h

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:29 pm
by Hope2float
Been a couple of weeks since I updated y'all. Home computer crashed so that needed some attention for me to post. Although progress looks to be slow, I can tell you I put some serious time in on her. I finished the cleats as far as I can. I was able to coat bilge with the last coat of epoxy before the tomb is sealed. I try not to let the dreams of youth gather dust on the shelves of patience. :wink: I have only waited twenty years to build this boat. I also cut both soles for under the motor wells, added some more plumbing and YES!!! ordered my tanks from speedy. They said their waitng for a few more of you guys to order from them. They are AKA Atlantic welding and have been in business for 35 years. Great friendly staff and very knowledgable. They should have them ready Friday for pick up. I also thought the price was reasonable and fair
Thanks Joe for the compliment and hope that shoulder doesn't hold you up. It will if you let it. Build on!!!
Here are some photos of the progress.
I glassed the tank floor with 12oz biax on both sides covering 3/8 ply. Both floors are supported midspan with doug fir blocks.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:34 am
by Aripeka Angler
Top notch work Dave, very clean and neat 8) Speedy also did the tank for my XF-20. I was very happy with the way it turned out...

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:41 am
by topwater
Nice work Dave, that tank floor isnt going anywhere 8)

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:29 am
by spdnby
Looks great Dave, if you don't mind.....what'd the tanks cost you?

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:04 pm
by Hope2float
I've got a question. Larry if you take a look at this when you are pouring foam does it have to be flush with stringers and station? Do you or anyboby else have a way to control over expansion of the foam or do you just sand it flush?
Dave

Thanks for the compliments once again all.

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:23 pm
by peter-curacao
cut it flush, not much to control over the expansion of the foam, maybe when you pour it in small amounts but I don't know if that's advisable ,also I think that way you lose as much material in your mixing cups as when you pour it at once and cut it.

Edit: I used a normal handsaw to cut the foam, but I heard people use electric knives also.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:06 am
by Cracker Larry
Yes, you about have to let it expand over the top then cut the muffin tops off flush with the stringers and frames. Put the cut-offs into other un-poured areas and pour around them to keep from wasting the foam. A handsaw cuts it very easily. It's a mess to sand.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:02 am
by Uncle D
I'm using my multi-tool and checking the top surface with a straight edge. works great in corners and around tubes. Build looks good. Nice and clean. Don

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:24 pm
by Hope2float
Larry thanks for the tips. I tried to sand it and it does make a mess. I used the fairing board with 40 grit took it down flat. I will use a saw for sure and the multi-tool, which I have three of. I just keep buying them from harbor Freight when they are on sale. We keep them in our trucks as well as on each job. One of the greatest tools ever invented. We are always finding new uses for them. One of the best time savers is after you hang a door,but before trim we use them to cut the shims off. i saves at least 90% of the time.
On another note tomorrow I pick up my tanks from speedy. I ordered them 3:00 Pm monday and got the call today @ 2:00 they were ready for pick up. Took a half a day off work tomorrow to get them and play. I will get some pics up tomorrow.
Thank you all for the tips.
Dave

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:27 pm
by Hope2float
Some pics.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 pm
by Cracker Larry
There ya go 8) Perfect
the multi-tool, which I have three of. I just keep buying them from harbor Freight when they are on sale.

Just buy one Rockwell and be done with it :wink: It's one of the best tools ever invented :D

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:51 pm
by Hope2float
Larry thanks for the saw tip it was quick work cutting off the muffin tops.The foam kinda reminds me of the little rascals episode with the cake wheemp whaa. Don't eat the mush the milks spoiled. My favorite one is when Alfalfa had a duck powered boat against waldo the spoiled rich kid with the runabout.
Sorry I took a trip down memory lane.
Larry the quality of harbor feight multi tool is not that good, but we hand these things out like tape measures and pencils. I buy them because they cost under 30.00 dollars and if it's missing or broke no big deal. We have so many uses for them on the job. They just have to be there. :)
Dave

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:01 pm
by Steven
Are those tanks from speedytanks.com? I have a quote from them on a tank.

Steven

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:19 pm
by Hope2float
Steven the tanks are from Speedy tanks. They are good at what they do. I am satisfied with their product. The measurements are exact to the measurements given.
Dave

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:22 pm
by peter-curacao
Typical! :roll:

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:27 am
by wegcagle
Nice work Dave 8) You can just about say goodbye to the subflooring. Now THAT's a good milestone. A flat surface to walk on, and no more sore knees :help:

Will

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:12 am
by topwater
Looking good Dave :!:

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:29 am
by Steven
Hope2float wrote:Steven the tanks are from Speedy tanks. They are good at what they do. I am satisfied with their product. The measurements are exact to the measurements given.
Dave

Does Speedy Tanks = speedytanks.com?

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:15 pm
by Hope2float
Steven yes that is them Speedytanks.com aka Atlantic coastal welding. Good job and they paint them as well. They also sell all needed installation gadgets, barbs that are aluminum, so no reaction with aluminum tanks.
Thanks Will and John, I think the neighbors thought I was just playing in there. I spent so many days below decks or in them that they only saw me when I climbed out. Got an order of supplies due in here on Friday. maybe this will be good weekend with the holiday time off. Could possibly get the soul glassed in, but I'm not setting the bar too high. Stress to achieve mental goals only leaves you in a bad mood when you fail. I'm just going to keep plugging at it and will see where we are Monday.
Dave

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:09 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks all for the replies. I did not get the sole glassed in, but I did manage to glass under the sole above where the tanks are. I thought it was a wide span and wanted to stiffen it a bit. I got the sole butt blocks in then went to work on the motorwell boxes Glassed the whole damm box with 12oz it's bullet proof. I also faired the motor well floor and glassed the stringers. Just wanted to clean it up a little. The holes for the transom scuppers are drilled, I miss drilled a little in the transom of all places. there will be a lot of goo around those pipes. I going to coat the bilge and motor well boxes with pigmented epoxy and all will have LED lights installed. I just want to be prepared for the nightime problem to be at least able to see. I don't know when the problem is coming I just know it is! here are some pics.
Dave
PS I only worked on her sunday and monday. I forgot about a family BBQ.

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:05 am
by topwater
Nice work Dave , looking good 8)

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:44 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks Guys,
Missed my Sunday update. I should have stayed working on the motorwell, but weather was good on Sunday and I just felt like cutting wood. To any building P21 upper A station measurements on the Plan are not even close. Physically check your dimensions before cutting 70.00 sheet of ply. I went with the old school duel exhaust look for water. Motorwell is bullet proof I went with all 12oz. Over built but safe. Here is the Porn.
This one looks likes a face.
Until next week Build on and FISH HARD!
Dave

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:18 am
by topwater
Looking good Dave. I did a quick check of my pilot house roof supports and i have the same problem,
they dont meet in the middle. Nothing that a little epoxy and some scrap ply wont fix. Cant figure out
why when i had to sand the edges down of all the bulkheads just to get them in the hull, i thought they
would be to close togeather . This is a kit so it is what it is :wink:

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:51 am
by fastlane
looking good Dave!

Its like deja vu! :D

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:09 pm
by Hope2float
Hey guys lite weekend. I finished filling the 3" hole that will be drilled for Raymarine transducer which is 2 3/8" hole.
I also finished glueing cleats for the sole to final front piece. Cut releif kirf cuts in bow cleats and epoxied them. It seems like the constuction part of this build's end is in sight. There will still be a ton of glassing, blocking, fairing, electrical and rigging not to mention painting. I will press on fighting to say just get it done.
Dave
I forgot I also glued the upper C station to lower C.

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:40 am
by spdnby
Looking good, Don't give up the fight.

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:28 pm
by chicagoross
Dave, just a compliment here on the quality of your glass work and how neat everything looks! Wish Mine looked more like that! :D

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:00 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks Ross and Jay woch. Got some work done on the bow cleats. Then while I was on the phone I heard a roar of wind come done the block and wala mother nature toying with me. No damage to cover, boat or the house. I will beef it up with eight tie downs next. Only thing exposed is C station but it's up right so no real threat. Weather is suposed to be much better tomorrow. It did feel kinda good the let her out of the kennel.
I did relieve all the covering and let the frame hold everything until tomorrow. Nieghbors are ready for the second barn raising. :)
Dave

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:05 pm
by Cracker Larry
Dave, it ain't pretty, but my buckets of concrete have held mine down for 9 months now, and no guy lines to trip over.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:14 pm
by spdnby
You took on a massive project and the quality of your build and the progress you've made to this point is very impressive.
Blazing a trail showing others what's possible. Keep up the good work! Thanks for everything Dave!

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:16 pm
by Hope2float
It's been a while since I last posted. Very busy here in NJ cleaning peoples homes out. Damage beyond imagination. More on that later. Here are some pics of progress.
Fuel chase tube
Pigmented epoxy in motorwell sides
Chase tubes
Deck installed
Deck glassing begins.

I have a whole bunch more I will post if you guys want but only a few each post.
We have survived the storm, but many have not.
Monday morning about 8:30 am before storm.
Small idea of what the whole place looks like.

Dave

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:32 pm
by Cracker Larry
Boat looks great Dave 8) The town, not so much :( Mother Nature is a tough mother.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:42 pm
by AtTheBrink
I feel for ya brother. I went through Katrina in Biloxi, MS, and did some insurance adjusting work for Ike in Houston and up in your area for Irene. New Jersey surprised me, it is a lovely state. I guess I was expecting "Jersey Shore" :D It will all get cleaned up and will return to normal. One day at a time.
your boat is looking great! Glad it weathered the storm!

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:52 am
by topwater
Nice looking work Dave.. what size pipe did you use to run your fuel fill hose in :?:
Glad to see you made it threw the storm okay.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:35 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Larry good to hear from you as always. Sorry to see the boat go it was a fine job. I don't mind at all the future work on "no excuse" . Got a soft spot for that boat the build helped me a lot while my father was dying and after he passed. Thought of him when I checked the progress. I remember I felt connected when your dad passed. I look forward to her updates.
John I used 2" PVC heated it with a torch until it was flexible and gently put in the offsets to the fill and where I wanted it to exit in the motorwell.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:01 am
by topwater
Thanks Dave 8)

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:35 pm
by Hope2float
Short update. Been working on the foward A station to finish before installing B station. Here are som pics
Deck glassed an a look at anchor hold.
Bow eye backup block made from 3/4" oak hardwood flooring epoxied together with the over drill fill and drill again treatment.
Deck stantions.
Cabin supports started.
I will post some more later.
Dave

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:43 pm
by Hope2float
Watched this guy stand American flag in can and exhaustedly walk back to his home to do some more work.
Now a few more on the boat.
This is the morning after the storm.
Cabin supports glassed and sanded

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:17 pm
by TRC886
Hope2float wrote: Bow eye backup block made from 3/4" oak hardwood flooring epoxied together with the over drill fill and drill again treatment.
Looks good, and I doubt that you'll have any problems due to the mechanical fastenings, but white oak and epoxy do not mix.
Start reading about 1/2 way down page 2 and read the first couple of posts on page three.
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... k&start=10

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:32 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks for the heads up, but it is positively Red Oak and you are right it could be held in place with bubble gum. The mechanical eye bolt will hold it fine. I already checked this with Jaques when I ordered the Bow eye.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:57 am
by topwater
Nice work Dave, moveing right along 8) I ended up useing a 30" piece of purplehart wood for my bow eye.
Talk about over kill 8O

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:58 pm
by Hope2float
The small 5/16 bow eye is rated at 2500 pounds I used a 1/2 bow eye don't have a weight rating but the small one could lift the boat vertically. I used extra glass in the bow the backing block is about nine inches. When pulling on the trailer I guess you might be pulling 500 lbs. nuts and eye can't pull through. I discussed the set up with Jaques on the phone and he determined it was more than enough. There really isn't any jerking just a steady increase in load as you crank it up. John I love exotic hardwoods I once built a raised panel library floor to ceiling about 1200 sq ft . It felt like I used half the Honduran rain forest. It took ten loads in a pickup just to load the job. Still have some pieces in my garage and I gave lane some for his foot rests. Got some plans for mine. I have been saving this stuff since 1997 I figure the boat is a good place to use it.

Dave

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:47 pm
by Hope2float
Got the cabin sides/top support rails or stantons in and glassed. May try to keep some bright.
Image[imghttp://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/19167/normal_Storm_021.JPG[/img]
I also drilled the chase tubes for the wiring under the gunwales.
I got these things done before the storm. The cleats for the anchor well and anchor hold
floor. 12oz on the bottom not visible in pic.
Anchor hold sides and 12oz on inside 6oz on the storage compartments.
Pigmented epoxy over 12oz glass in the anchor hold. Ive been working in that area to get it complete before putting in B station just for easy access. will post some more when something to show.
Dave

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:45 pm
by AtTheBrink
Wow :!: Great work! Very clean, very professional. Thats gonna be a fine ride when it hits the water.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:30 pm
by Hope2float
Sundays progress. I could not take looking at it any more so now it is installed. The foredeck, not sure of the spelling, is epoxied on the anchor hold and the rubrails. It took about 21oz of glue and a little effort it is now time to put in B station.
This boat is beginning to wear me out. I need a visual to motivate myself, so maybe the gunwales will help do this. I am surprised to be able to work on it this late in the season. It's a slow go but it is still creeping forward.
Dave

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:37 am
by chicagoross
This boat is beginning to wear me out. I need a visual to motivate myself, so maybe the gunwales will help do this. I am surprised to be able to work on it this late in the season. It's a slow go but it is still creeping forward.
Dave
I hear ya! Just finished the berths, all 4 hatches under the berths, glued in the bow eye support and the anchor locker this weekend. Feeling the same way, that when I start laying the decks I'll finally be looking at something new... :D

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:44 am
by topwater
Great progress Dave for this time of year :!: :!:

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:56 am
by ks8
Nice 8)

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:40 pm
by Hope2float
Quick Monday evening update. I have just begun to see the complete boat begin to take shape. I milestone for myself and a real eye pleaser. Thanks for the compliments and hope you enjoy the pics.

Dave

Finally a visual motivater, still miles of work to go, but I think this will keep me focused.

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:23 pm
by Hope2float
Merry Christmas To All.
Dave

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:11 pm
by Cracker Larry
And to you and yours :D

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:28 pm
by ks8
Hear hear! :)

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:38 pm
by Joe H
Boats looking good, I like what you did for the chase tubes, have you hit your head on the top support rail yet? ha

Merry Christmas
Joe H

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:57 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks Joe and yes, I wack my head on a regular basis. The metal tie rods on the canopy seem to always catch me when I'm walking around the berth. I almost have muscle memory developed to duck while jumping into the sole. Been on Lanes boat a bunch of times and guage placement isn't a problem. Ditto Lanes comment.
Here is an update of some of the recent progress.
Glassed in the center of the fordeck for ease of fairing.
Fit forward gunwales and B station.
B station glassed onto hull.
I hope posting all of these pictures is actually helping someone, because it is a real pain the butt. I will post again later. Chew on these for a while or check gallery. Hope you guys enjoy!
Dave

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:53 am
by topwater
Dave we enjoy keep posting 8)

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:07 am
by AtTheBrink
Beautiful work! Glad you are able to get some work done on it through the winter.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:13 pm
by Hope2float
Back agian, Managed to get hull stiffeners Tacked in, glassed and faired all done wet on wet. It saved alot of sanding to prep pipes. I think I did this last weekend, but I can't remember. This weekend was a sanding festival starring Me, produced by Me :lol: I also got the transom, gunwales and berth micro ballooned. I was able to get it all sanded off and spent most of today finger sanding all the fillet joints. I wasn't happy with some of the fillets so I mixed a loose batch of wood flour and re-did some. Then I coated the cockpit gunwales and pipes with a coat of clear epoxy. I will let it sit a few days, then if all is good I will prime the gunwales next weekend. I will try to get the transom done during the week. Maybe if all goes well I could put the decks on. I almost forgot I also covered all the deck parts that will be attached to the hull with 6oz. It wasn't speced just thought it was a good precaution. Well anyway here are the pics.
Dave
Also managed to get C station microballooned, as well as, the entire berth.
I will post some of the other pics tomorrow.
Thanks for the compliments and thanks to my buddy John who is a big support for this project. Also thanks go out to Lane for a place to look at it before I build it.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:59 pm
by Hope2float
Trying to keep the posting up to date with the photo uploads. After the microballoon party I had the sanding festival they go so well together :D . Mike I am able to continue work this year through the winter because the canopy my wife got me for fathers day is able to be enclosed on all sides. if the wind isn't blowing too hard I can easily heat it with the parabolic propane heater attached to the top of the tank. I also went to tractor supply and bought a 75,000 Btu torpedo heater that uses kerosene or desiel fuel. it has it's own thermostat. It seems to work great.
I have been trying to get better at fairing. Following CL advice and get away from apply sand and repeat.
Wet on wet really helped and also larry's advice on not having to sand fillets by just coating them with epoxy before they're set up. Works like a charm, I re-did some on mine coated with epoxy almost no sanding required.
Dave

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:55 am
by pee wee
The work is looking good- your splash day is getting that much closer.

Don't forget that the kerosene/diesel heaters like you're using tend to leave a film on the surface that needs to be cleaned away extra carefully before more epoxy is applied. Can't recall if there is a problem with using it while the epoxy is setting up or not.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:45 am
by Cracker Larry
Looks great Dave 8) I was also going to comment on the kerosene heater, it will leave a surface contaminant that needs to be cleaned off completely before applying epoxy.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:30 pm
by Hope2float
Ok, thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know if this residue can be seen. Can it be wiped of with acetone or is sanding the only way. This heater seems to burn clean and I can't see or feel any residue. Any imput would be appreciated. I can heat first then cover with epoxy?
Dave

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:34 pm
by Hope2float
Been busy last weekend so no posting. I did however get the transom sanded and final coat of microballons spread out. I also coated the berth forward section under anchor hold and the first station back from A station. The C station panels are done as well and I will sand them after cabin roof and rails are installed. I made up a Mahogany trim peice up from thje leftover rips from cabin rails also Mahogany. 7 1/2" 8ft board or 1x8 ripped two 3" peices and 1 1/2". I put a round over of 3/8" to make the trim peice. Here are some pics.
Dave

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:56 pm
by AtTheBrink
Nice work! You are cruisin'!
On the heater residue, if it where me, wipe with alcohol. Acetone fumes are bad stuff... especially in a tight space like that.

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:18 am
by topwater
Nice work dave :!: Your moving right along 8)

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 pm
by Hope2float
Hey all, been busy on the boat this weekend started out 19 degrees in the morning. It was cold but the heater made quick work of warming things up. I was able to mantain about 80 degrees all day. Set out on Saturday morning by sanding forward berth sections that were epoxy coated for the last time. I regret not coating the whole berth the previous week. This kind of set the progress back a little for uniform production. I also sanded the transom and station supports some got primed some got epoxy. I coated the transom with epoxy after micro ball sanding. Next week I should be able the get all epoxy sanded and first coat of primer on most of the interior areas. this should put uniform prodution back on track. I'm a little anal about the way things play out. I finished all interior fairing before setting the decks as to avoid having to work around them. Gunwales are finished right up to rub rail cleats. I know it won't be see again but i just couldn't help it. Anyway here are some pics."
Dave
I'm trying to keep all cabin roof rails bright in the wheel house and below. I figured these would make a nice looking trim and be out of the weather and sun. We will see how it goes.
Thanks all for following along.
Dave

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 am
by pee wee
Very nice, your work is neat, too. Looking good :D

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:20 pm
by Hope2float
Hey folks back at it again. Not too much happened on it in the last two weekends, but I did get the transom sanded and primed. I also primed the berth area and front C station primed. The rear gunwales and station supports primed as well. Then second coated sections look to be good. The fairing appears to be ample for paint. I completed all gunwale work before installing the decks to eliminate the hassle of getting in there after decks are on. I also managed to get the hatches in the berth cut and cleats prepared to get installed. Pee Wee thanks for coment.
Dave
And as always here are some pics.
Looking to start working on the decks and a basket full of small things.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:28 pm
by AtTheBrink
Sharp, Sharp, Sharp! Looking great as alway. You should be on the water by summer at this rate.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:38 pm
by peter-curacao
Looks great man!! 8) 8) One remark though and maybe not relevant at all but thought I mentioned it anyway, maybe you might consider bigger scuppers? again maybe not relevant since I don't know were you take you're boat, I know for my area they are to small.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:22 pm
by Cracker Larry
Nice work, Dave 8) I agree with Peter about the scuppers/cockpit drains though. They look way too small for a boat that size.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:48 pm
by Hope2float
Good to hear from you both. Thanks for the heads up on the scuppers. They are both 1 1/4" plenty for the conditions I will be in. If it gets swamped it should be unsinkable you will just have to be patient crack a beer and wait a few minutes. :lol: Oh BTW don't leave the boat just give her a little time to gather herself. Don't mistake the humor for sarcasim I do appreciate the guys on this site looking out for each other. Been in some pretty rough water with Lane on his boat and not a drop comes in over the sides or transom. The motorwell usually doesn't even take on any water. This is a very dry boat even in bad stuff.
Dave

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:16 am
by topwater
Nice work , Dave what did you use to cut out your hatches in the top of the berths :?:
Did you use a router with a template :?:

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:54 am
by Hope2float
TW I had marked the hatch locations on the bare wood, then i covered the berth with 4oz glass. I did all the fairing and coated again with epoxy. This prevented the wood from tearing out. I took small circular saw and cut the straight cuts to the radius just a little before. I then finished the radius cuts with a Bosch jig saw, one of the best I've ever used. They are very smooth and easy to control. I then cleaned up the radius with 1 1/2" drum sander on a eletric drill. Then I took a router with a very small round over bit I think its 1/8" to put the edge on the hatch hole. Hope this helps.
Dave

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:47 pm
by Hope2float
First off thanks to all for the responses. I think it gives you motivation for moving forward. The other day I had a nice long post with much jibberish, but when I went to submit it the login page came up and all was gone! :x So I will keep this one short. The heads up on the scupper came about 5 months too late. After seeing Peter's and Johns mine looked a little weak. With the extra weight of this motor I will probably seal them to prevent water from entering. I thought about raising the sole up 3/4" but did not act on that. In hine sight I probably should have and enlarged the scuppers. I did foam the whole boat for saftey anyway.
I had a great weekend on the boat for getting it done, summer is soon approaching. The berth hatch supports are glued in. The butt blocks for the deck as well as the decks are installed. The gunwale stiffeners are tacked in and the cleats for the rear gunwales are glued in. The berth cleats are clamped for the week to let them relax to the curve.
Almost forgot the underside of all decking is covered in 6oz. the Portside gunwale surface got covered by mistake a little prematurely. I also ran the router with just a 3/8" roundover bit the begin to fill the voids then I will take it to 1/2
' and so on.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:07 am
by topwater
Dave you are flying :!: I cant believe how much work you get done working outside in NJ in the winter .
My scupper tubes are 2 " by 6 " I have 11 feet of cockpit to empty as fast as possible. Plan on moving
back to the coast in two years and want the boat ready for the ocean . Looks like you will be launching in the
spring . the boat looks great 8)

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:24 pm
by Hope2float
TW thanks for the support. I think spring launch is a nice thought ,but I think it will be sometime in mid summer. There is still a ton more work to do. My eyes don't see as well as they used to so I keep most of the critical stuff for daylight. It gets dark here around six. when it gets lighter and a little warmer it should move along. Sometimes the epoxy work won't cure in the cold for almost a week. With this being said I really try to hit it hard on the weekend and let it sit all week. I quit work at 4 today and went out there and routed the starboard rub rail tonight to get a jump on tomorrow. I got a big one planned in my head for this weekend so I will update on Sunday if possible to show results. Any progress on yours would like to see some pics.
Build On
Dave
Might you be moving close to this area? Not that anybody in their right minds or left minds would even consider that if they didn't have to. :lol:

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:53 am
by topwater
Hi Dave , been working on the motor well area and have most of that done. I had 4 of the hatches
that I ordered put on back order so I have to wait to complete the 2 rear compartments. Trying to
get most of the work in the stern done before moving back to the cabin area. Waiting on warmer
weather so I can open the windows. I am going to use a truck bed liner product under the berths storage area
and also in the anchor locker. Have to wear a resperator and want to be able to air out the shop
Going to try out a product called monstaliner , checkout there web site pretty nice stuff . Lots
of colors and 100 percent uv stable. Not that its going to matter under the berths .Sam Devlin
uses a similar product in the cabin on all decks and he loves the stuff . I figure ill try it out were
no one will see it first and then go from there. Wife took a consulting job can move where ever we want
as long as she can get to an airport. Have to wait to move until youngest son is out of high school in two
years " I moved him once and wont do it again ". Want to move some place that wont cost an arm and a leg
to live. Not sure ware yet Maybe Beufort SC or some place in florida, got time to think about it.
John

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:45 pm
by Hope2float
TW noboby wants to live in NJ except people that work in NYC. The only reason why I live here is because I was born here and had no reason to leave. It does cost an arm and a leg plus1000.00 . :lol: Anyway let me know how the bedliner material works out. It should be like a coating of rubber and post some pics of your progress.
The weekend went pretty well considering I basically didn't complete anything that I planned. I was able to get the cabin and wheelhouse roofs cut and taped together. I also got all the berth cleats glued in and goo sanded off. I sanded the cabin rails and perminently installed them. I cut and fit the cabin roof to C station and cut a peice of Mahogany that I saved for 13 years waiting for a home. Well I found one. I would clean and move these cut offs around the garage, would almost throw them out and the put them back. I used it for the support for the cabin roof at the legwell opening. It looks light in color, but will look as red as the rest when the epoxy goes on. And as always here come the pics.
Dave
Both panels cut at the same.
Wheelhouse roof being taped on sole.
See you boys next weekend. I intend to keep all supports bright.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:37 pm
by peter-curacao
That's very impressive and clean work,I like it,I like it a lot 8)

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:06 pm
by TRC886
Hope2float wrote:The other day I had a nice long post with much jibberish, but when I went to submit it the login page came up and all was gone! :x
Been there, done that :oops:

Open a new tab and log in, then return to your post and submit it :)

The weekend went pretty well considering I basically didn't complete anything that I planned.
I am waaaay too familiar with this :roll:

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:46 am
by chicagoross
That's a hell of a weekend's work! Man I wish I had the energy to accomnplish that much! :oops:

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:11 am
by topwater
Great progress Dave 8)

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:05 am
by spdnby
Patiently waiting for updates!

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:05 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks all for the comments and the support. It helps a lot to have support behind the scenes.
It's been a couple of weeks since I posted and a bunch has happened. I will post the process tomorrow. The pictures are in the gallery. Getting close now
Dave

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:17 pm
by Hope2float
Hey all been very busy on the boat. The end is clearly in sight, been in a long dark tunnel for years and the light at the end is widening.
In this pic I'm prestressing the panel to be glassed in a concave state.
Glassing in progress.
Glasssing complete, the i used a stick to push down on the center. it was wedged to the ceiling to hold the concave.
Preparing roof secondary rails for epoxy.
Side stiffeners put in place all done wet on wet.
positioning the wheelhouse roof. and letting it sit to take shape.
close shot of roof on rails.
Wheelhouse sides being glassed to repair short cut at top.
This shows the joint that had to be added, so glassing had to happen. I'll be back later to continue the saga.
BUILD ON
Dave

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:32 pm
by Cracker Larry
Looks great Dave 8) That's a lot of boat and you've come a long ways :D

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:36 pm
by Hope2float
I'm back to keep up the posting of this project.
This is a view of the woodflour mix to fill the void. I used a power plane to recess the joint . This makes for an easy fill/fairing campaign. I think two shots of filler and it was ready for glass.
Fitting the wheelhouse sides and comfirm cabin wall fit before joining the cabin wall and wheelhouse wall together.
Inside view of fit before glassing and joining.
Dowels for extra support of cabin support rails.
Installation of cabin roof.
Wheelhouse side and cabin side joined. I used poor mans peel ply and the joint came out perfect. Held it down with weight until it was cured.
These show the progressive fitting of cabin front. This piece was a liitle tough to complete. Fordeck has a flat spot because it was easier to get it built up for the windlass. Its over an inch thick. I'm starting to get some mojo on this project. I made a personal commitment to work on it every night and weekend, because I don't want summer to arrive and say to myself if only I did that little extra I be in the water. Well I could be in the water anyway, but much rather the boat there too. I will post some more later of the progress. I'm posting this tread this way to try to help new guys by giving them many pictures of reference. You must remember I'm a two handed carpenter, but a two finger typist.
Dave

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:03 am
by topwater
Great progress Dave , It looks like a lot of fun doing the top sides , feels like you got something done when you walk in
and can see the changes 8) .

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 am
by AtTheBrink
Great job and great documentation of this build! 8) I enjoy reading your postings always informative and comprehensive and your pictures are great too! My photography skills blow. If I ever build a P-21 I know where to look. Keep it up!

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:58 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks all for the comments. I'm back at it, the posting that is. I will try to catch up with the process. TW the topsides are more fun to build. Don't kid yourself it's still a lot of work. I avg. about 24 hrs in on it during the weekend. this week worked on it every night at least 3hrs each night. The fun part is you do see the boat materializing right before your eyes. I find myself pondering the best attack for any given process. don't want to get ahead of myself only to find I could have done it easier or better. With that said Lane and myself dubbed the analating, thats thinking that has gone to far into the realm of anal. So my advice is think about it and jump on it. Building this thing is a test of my endurance, but I know who will win! :lol:
Larry thanks for shout, but if anyone of us has been down a long road its you. You pop them out one after another. KUDOS
Mike thanks for the support I am trying to document this build extensively 8) .
Now on to the fun stuff.
This raps up the cabin photos. It is glued and good to go.
These pics show window cut outs and port hole location. it is very similar Parker boats location. It follows the windshield line down to the corner of the port.
Thats enough on this post. Tomorrow I will get into the windshield and what is planned for it. Remember folks BUILD ON as hard as you can.
Dave

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:16 pm
by TRC886
Beautiful work :!: I am developing a whole new appreciation for you guys who can perfectly saturate the 'glass so well 8)

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:23 pm
by Hope2float
Hello to all. Back to try to keep up with the pictures. Kept my commitment to hit it every night, but last night was a little weak. I only taped off the windows for fillets then quit. I beat myself up a little over it, but made up for it today.
Anyway here are the pics and explaination.
This was cheap underlayment I made for the templates. It was joined at the center so i could fold it after marking it to check for symetry. They are exact mirror images of each other. I went this route as to not make a mistake on the good wood. There isn't any to be wasted. the boat was built with exactly what the nesting called for. This also allowd me to channel out the supports for clearence. Then I marked them and cut them back.
The real windows cut. I didn't follow the radius on the top and bottom because I will be having openning windows made and the cannot have any radius in the runs only 3" on the corners. They can be any shape in between.
Windshield tacked in.
Port backing plate. i may keep this brite.
Cabin roof glassed.
Mahogany trim epoxied.
Roof glued on.
Port and starboard deck fillted and taped.
Anchor hold drain tube.
First coat of fairing done with wood flour and epoxy. It holds it form good and is strong.
Perfect fillet joints done by Larry's teaching. Very clean because they were masked off and left a good while to set up.
Thanks Larry for the method. Thats CL
I will post some more tomorrow to keep you guys updated.
Dave

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:09 am
by topwater
Dave I noticed glass cloth on the inside of pilot house sides did you do that before you put them on the boat :?:
any trouble with the bends with the glass on :?: Let me know who you are using for the windshield , I am also
going with opening windows. Boat is looking good, your moving right along don't beat yourself up to much :)

John

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:58 am
by Cracker Larry
Those are some pretty fillets :D

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:44 am
by TRC886
You taught him well :wink: 8)

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:55 am
by spdnby
Dave is on fire.....trust me. Very driven.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:48 am
by Hope2float
John I first fitted then glassed the two parts of the sides together. I then re-fitted them to the hull. This joint was 12oz. rechecked to see contour around cabin. There was no real tension on the sides because it was down to a 12" run along cabin sides. Zip tied it then tacked it to the hull. I had to glass it before it fit it because I had to add a scab to the top. The cabin sides had to be glassed for proper thickness before joining both halfs. It easily contoured around the cabin upon installation.
Dave
The window manufacturer is Wynne industries I think. Just do a search for marine window manufacturers. I will check on this later and get back to you. They are the same people who make the windows for Parker and Stiegercraft. Lane used them on his boat. Great look and performance. Thanks CL

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:27 pm
by Hope2float
TW I meant that I didn't cut the camber on the top and bottom. Here are todays events. I masked off the rest of the fillet joints, then proceeded to fillet them. That is finished in the whellhouse. I then glassed and taped the deck and rubrail on the starboard side. Here are the pictures.
I will be back tomorrow with some more.
Dave

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:02 am
by topwater
Thanks for the info Dave :)

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:42 pm
by Hope2float
Hello to all of you. Another day has passed, but not with out it's accomplishments. Just got a text from my buddy and he stated in it that he has just taken off from work tomorrow. He has worked on his 23' Parker for the past couple of days. He was all over it today. The boat is not new, but it is in exceptional condition. He stole it off a guy in Lavallette just a couple of weeks before the big storm. I told him that boat is like Christine it just wouldn't die. Had he not bought it when he did the boat would be gone for sure.
It appears that he may have come down with BBV or BMV (boat modifiaction virus). I don't know if he's going to recover!!!
Anyway as it must be here are Pics.
The port side gunwale deck is glassed and taped 6oz cloth with 12oz against the wheelhouse base and 9oz over the rubrail.
Gave her a breathe of fresh air today almost 67 degress today.
This is the masking job for the fillets to keep it all neat.
These are daytime and nightime shots of the same area. It looks great and it's taunting me to figure out if it can be kept brite.
I had originally scheduled it for paint and told myself it gets paint no matter what it looks like. Now I'm not so sure, I gotta thing for wood.
TW the window maker is Wynne inc. for sure. I looked them up today. We'll be back in a couple of days 8) With that being said BUILD ON!!!
Dave

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:28 pm
by tobolamr
I gotta thing for wood.
As every healthy boy should... :lol: Man, with it looking that nice, I'd have a hard time covering it with paint, too. :roll: Good luck on that decision! I hope some of the guys with brightwork chime in for you - their input would be most helpful!

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:36 pm
by AtTheBrink
You are really cruising! You have gotten a ton of work done this winter and beautiful work at that! I like your attention to the smallest details that most will never see or appreciate.
Keep on Keepin' on!

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:54 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks all for the comments and support. I had a pretty good weekend on her again. The weather this weekend was great. I got all the rubrails sanded and the decks as well. Got a coat of micro ballons on the cabin front and top. I was able to get them sanded off as well as the wheel house sides and roof inside which killed me. I will keep it short, but I hope to have some primer going on soon. Here are some pics.
BUILD ON!
Dave
Notice the blanket for quick naps. :lol:

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:07 am
by topwater
Great progress Dave 8)

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:03 pm
by Hope2float
Hey all this week not so great, but some progress. Micro ballooned cabin top for the last time. sanded the wheelhouse sides and cabin sides. Managed to get the roof rails installed. these were not in the plan, but I think it was to flimsy without some support. It also doubles as a quick grab rail. My elbow was killing me today so I had to take it slow. Here are some pics.
Dave
BUILD ON !

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:18 pm
by Joe H
Dave,
Your making a ton of work look easy, I'm still okay with my decision of not putting the hard top on my P19 but yours has made me think twice about it, great progress!

Joe H

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 pm
by Hope2float
Joe as you know from your own road of torture behind every picture is a ton of work. Its not easy for me either I'm just determined to get in the water this summer. we will see what happens. :) Today for instance I spent about four hours on her after work. I got the wheelhouse roof rails sanded down. They really stiffened the run down the side. I also sanded then cabin roof, sides and the wheelhouse sides down. I sanded the inside wheelhouse roof where I had done some fairing with Quick fair. Thatb is a great product, very easy to sand. No pics tonight. I will the next time out on her. She is getting close to primer, but a ton of small touch up. BUILD ON !
Dave

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:50 pm
by Cracker Larry
as you know from your own road of torture behind every picture is a ton of work
Those are some true words :D

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:40 pm
by Hope2float
Here are some pics of todays progress. I mixed up a wood flour slurry to make a loose fairing paste. I coated the decks with that then let them set up and coated with epoxy over wood flour blend. That makes the fairing process less. anyway here goes!
BUILD ON !
Dave
Fairing the windows and wheel house roof.
Hopefully after sanding they should be ready for primer. I still need to work on the foredeck. I will post again maybe Sunday night.

Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:02 pm
by Hope2float
Hello all been a couple of weeks since I posted last. The work is constantly progressing. I had a good weekend on her or should I say a couple of good weekends on it. I'm too tired to jibber jab so here goes the the pics.
Fairing is pretty much almost complete on the entire topsides except for the motorweel boxes.
We said a picture is worth a ton of work well there goes 20 tons for you :lol: BUILD ON!
Dave

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:12 am
by topwater
Great progress Dave 8) Getting closer.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:16 pm
by cottontop
Thanks for the pics. Your boat is sure looking fine. Looks like you might get to launch her by sometime this summer. Keep up the great work. John

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:44 pm
by Hope2float
First off thanks for the compliments Cotton and TW. Its been a while since posting there has just been a ton of other events I had to attend to. Progress has been slow so I would guess that my July 4th deadline will come and go. I have got a few goodies for the boat, radar, fishfinder, chart combo from Raymarine. A washdown pump, transducer round off the goodies. There has been some work on her though. Here are some of the pictures.
Wheelhouse has been primed.
Port hole window has been fit in.
Final tune up fairing is complete on the hull sides. Ready for epoxy, primer and paint.
She is now off the building jig.
Transducer location is now drilled and trial fit.
Core sample of transducer location with backing plate. You can see all phases of construction.
Washdown pump mounting plate was made in a sandwich style with 1/4-20 machine screws counter sunk in top plate then sandwiched with backer. Lanes method worked great.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:38 am
by topwater
Dave great work and getting closer. Dave one question , did the transducer come with the electronics
setup or did you spec a different one :?:

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:13 am
by Cracker Larry
Great looking boat Dave and that's some dang nice gear 8) Transducer looks like an Airmar. Good stuff!

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:11 pm
by Hope2float
Cl I think you are right on the make of the transducer. TW I purchased the transducer separately. It is matched to the system by the guys I bought it from. I think BOEmarine. I also forgot to mention the Windlass I got for it. It has been a little hard to work on the boat lately. I was actually in Georgia Last week for a friends dads funeral. they showed all of my friends some great hospitality. They went out and brought back AR15, M14 fully automatic, .40 cal. Glock, 22 semi auto rifle, 9mm and about 500 rounds to help entertain everyone. Couldn't help think about Larry down here while we were shooting up the place. 8) Great fun for some Yankees in GA :lol:
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:42 am
by Cracker Larry
It sounds like you were in my neighborhood for sure :D

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:52 pm
by AtTheBrink
Hey Dave, any updates on your boat? You are getting close to the finish line, don't slow up now!

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:12 pm
by Hope2float
Hey All its been a while since my last post. Had many days of taking care of things and familiy functions that just cut into the boat building. I felt a little burnt out in the race to get her in the water. As you all know that isn't going to happen, but that may be a good thing it took some of the pressure off. It was a foolish attempt at an unrealistic goal. I do know that if you don't set some goals you don't reach any. So be it and I will move on. There has been some work going on the boat just not any big visuals, but I will post some of the progress. I did get a bunch of toys for her Trim tabs Bennit hydraulic, Windows have arrived today along with many other trinkets. Seems like something arrives every other day. dropped a lot of cash on her recently. Thanks all for the comments and the concern. here are the pictures!
Final fairing with long board coated with epoxy. Good finish.
Gunwale primed.
Flush mounted fuel vent holes.

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:40 am
by topwater
Great work as always Dave 8) Build on , its done when its done don't sweat it .

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 am
by Cracker Larry
It's about time you got back to work :D

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 am
by topwater
Dave a couple quick questions , what thickness of glass did you go with on the windshield :?:
What anchor lift winch did you go with , barracuda :?:
Thanks John

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:30 am
by AtTheBrink
Glad to see you are back at it! Keep pressing on, it will be done when it is done. No worries.

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:38 am
by Hope2float
TW the window centers were done with 12oz tape, the outside corners were done with 9oz tape as per plans. The berth cabin roof to bottom of window frame is 12oz on fillet. The insides were all done in 6oz with 12oz tape on center only. The windows will work great, each unit weighs 21lbs. a little heavy but worth the trade off. One word of caution if you get windows built from wynne the plane must be even. I had to reposition the upper frame in the center to move foward. this meant cutting the fillet and trimming the window height down to allow it to move forward. To keep it straight I think a couple of 2x2s clamped to the opening of the window will work.
BUILD_ON
Dave
These are the pictures of the window relocation. The end result is its going to fix it easily, only about 12 hours in on it.

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:31 pm
by Hope2float
I got the taping on the window center and one coat of woodflour slurry for fairing all wet on wet.
TW I would like to correct that taping schedule it now 2 layers of 12oz inside and out :lol:
BUILD_ON
Dave

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:23 am
by topwater
Thanks for the info on the windows Dave.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:09 am
by topwater
Just saw the new pic's in the gallery , great work as always . I will be stealing some of your ideas hope you dont mind.
Build on ,looks good :!:

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:13 pm
by Hope2float
Hello all been a while since my last post, but uploaded some pics.
TW use anything you like, that what its all about helping us all to the end. My end is clearly in sight at this point. A lot has happened on this boat along with the hundreds of little things that need to be addressed. Here are some pics of progress.
Dave
BUILD ON !
Windlass fit in.
Window mounting plate in.
Interior first coat of primer and bright work.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... _001~1.JPG Windshield repair complete.
Trim tabs fit.
Motorwell boxes capped.
And glassed.

Final priming after long boarding.

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:24 pm
by peter-curacao
Looks great Dave 8)

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:44 pm
by Hope2float
Back to continue update.
Motorwell boxes sanded ready for primer.
Remaining coaming installed.
Stiffener for wheelhouse sides.
Rod holders and vertical holder for rods/net/gaff or anything else.
Be abck later for some more updating.
Dave
Build on

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:22 pm
by Cracker Larry
You have been busy 8)

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:35 am
by topwater
He sure has been busy :!: Great work as always. Real nice choice on the radar unit also 8)

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:04 pm
by Hope2float
:lol: Thanks for the compliments, it keeps you going. I have one friend that follows closely AKA Johnny Lightning. I talk to everyday about the progress and frustrations. He is very supportive in my endevors. I didn't have time to post much so I will try to catch up. TW I didn't know your cabin roof were 3/8" I could see what you are saying. All my cabin sides, roof, wheelhouse roof, and wheelhouse are 1/4" and will 6oz on both sides very easy to bend. After I saw what happened to my fl12 without glass on the entire boat I decided early on all surfaces will have glass either 4oz or 6oz for the protection from checking. Anyway here are some pics.
Transom coaming and berth coaming installed.
Berth epoxy coated.
Bow pulpit 2 layers of 3/4" laminated then shaped and epxoy coated.
Motorwell cover and hatch fit in.
Berth primed. I will get caught up on the next post. To y'all keep on pushing to the end. Just look at Peter and Larry as your guiding force. Waiting to see Peter's run!!!!!!!!! 8)
Dave
BUILD_ON!

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:04 pm
by Joe H
WOW Dave, you have been busy, love the pulpit and board along the back with the bright work I have the same on My P19,
Reminds me I need to get busy myself!
Joe H

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:56 pm
by Hope2float
The end is closing in on this one. I probably will wait for spring for the launch. Or maybe a quick dip with the polar bears. We will have to see where it will lead. The pressure is clearly off me now and I can focus on all the little "good enough areas" that would have been good enough if I could have splashed. Oh well, here are some pics. Joe sorry you thought the transom coaming was to stay brite. It was just epoxy coated. I tried to keep brite work out of the elements and cover it in glass when exposed. Bow pulpit covered in 4oz, as well as, wheel house stiffeners. Again though thanks for the shout.
Outside for a little sun.
Berth, wheelhouse and gunwales primed.
First coat of paint on the outside and finish coats on the interior wheelhouse.
I decided that the drip rail is a must and I should have done it sooner better late than never.
Radar arch is made but not complete. Its nice playing with all these new toys, But I'm running out of room storing them in a so called stageing area until final installation. You know mock it up put it to the side. Mock something else up.
Ok post again later.
Dave
BUILD-ON

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:25 pm
by justin_dwyer
Looks AWESOME Dave.

I have just started building a P19, so I have enjoyed reading your posts.

Very nice work.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:54 pm
by Cracker Larry
Dang, that's a real pretty boat with nice lines :D

Fantastic work, Dave 8)

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:27 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks for the compliments its like rallying the troops. This forum keeps us all in touch with other members with BBV.
Here are some pics of progress.
Wheelhouse drip rail complete and painted.
Topsides painted three coats.
Helm location choosen. Based solely on ergonomic feeling.
Some brite work in wheel house almost finished. Larry keep the faith Mrs cracker in the prayers.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:19 am
by justin_dwyer
I love it Dave, you are doing a great job.

I don't know how you manage to get so much done so quickly!

The Brightwork in the wheelhouse looks amazing.

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:59 am
by topwater
Awesome finish work work Dave :!: From the speed at which you applied the topside paint i would
have to say that you are spraying it . What are you using , paint , equipment and any tips :?:

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:18 am
by wegcagle
Great work Dave. That brite work is beautiful 8)

Will

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:19 am
by peter-curacao
Very very nice looking boat, great job 8)

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:22 pm
by garym
Really looks great.
I noticed you have an enclosure around the boat in some of the pictures.
Is it store bought or did you make something yourself?
Do you leave it out in the winter?
Can it withstand the weight of snow?

I'm getting close to the end of my build window here in NY so I guess your in the same boat :lol:

I did my entire build out in the open which wasn't the best way to go.
When I do my next one I will want some protection.

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:25 pm
by Joe H
Dave,
You’re making some excellent progress, looking at your pilot house almost make me wish I would have kept mine, do you have to wait until spring to launch or do you hope to float her sometime soon?

Did you see fastlane’s video, very cool!

Joe H

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:14 pm
by Hope2float
TW the gun is a run of the mill Hausfield 50.00 range. Its actually my neighbors. He brings it over when I need it.
The boat being outside really cures the paint fast, between the UVs and the air movement over the surface it drys Fast. I used Petite semi-gloss white and I thinned it with their spraying reducer which is about 65% xylene and 30% mineral spirits. I kept it wet and light as to control runs no problems.. Did have a small sag but sanded it out before recoating. I give it a couple of days to harden before recoating. Shoot it early in the day before 1:00 pm in case of evening dew. Use tarps to control overspray.
Justin thanks for the compliments, I get things done only because I hit it hard as I can when I hit it. I try to get something done on it each day. So when I"m sitting on the couch watching TV I kick myself to go out and do something even if its wrong. Also check my tread early on there are some good pic of jig. Strong backs in particular. I used a corner of plywood to square the uprite to the jig se pics. I built my P21 running down hill about 9" so I didn't level the platform I only made sure it was flat with no warps and built it with strong backs at 90 degrees to jig. The coordinate off the baseline is always 90. My plywood made uprites sat on the platform and were cut in height to the base line, so if the uprite was square to the jig the station could be mounted at the top of the uprite for correct baseline height.
Garym the canopy is 20' x 10' a little tight but it can enclose the whole boat except the bow. My wife got it for me at sam's club for about 225.00 It also keeps the mind bending sun off the build. In my opinion is the best gift I could have gotten.
Larry got his at tractor supply I think it was 175.00 I think it was 14' x 20' don't know if you can have sides on it. Yes it can handle snow loads, but knock it off after snow.
Joe don't know if I can get it in during the winter, but would dip it if I can.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:28 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Dave, awesome work 8) No better than that, first class awesome work :D Build on with good luck from the masses who are watching...

BTW, the brightwork looks great!

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:24 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks for the compliments it is always appreciated. Larry glad to hear about Dori hope all goes well for you both. I took some time off building to remind me why I'm building her. Thanks to Lane for the invite. So here is the result. A great sunrise and something on the line.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:57 pm
by Cracker Larry
Appreciate it Dave :D Nice pictures, what is that, a bluefish? Dang it's a nice one if that's what it is.

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:58 pm
by Hope2float
Larry that indeed is a bluefish. Very strong fighter, it can really take some line. Although we did not get a weight on it. the fish was about 20 lbs which is a good size fish.
I'm still at it and at a slower pace. It feels good to let it unfold over this winter. I don't have to say good enough. I now have plenty of time for a spring launch. I have been building the seat boxes for the port and starboard. Each one will of course hold the seat, hold a battery and a fire extinquisher. they have a lid to access the box in the rear. The battery will be stowed forward of the box. The starboard side will also contain the battery switch. The compartment tray under the seat will hold plano storage trays for tackle. There is also about a two cubic foot water tight compartment to the hull which can also be used for storage. Anyway here are some pics.
Dave
BUILD_ON!

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:11 pm
by Joe H
Nice looking and functional, I wonder if it's to late to put a partial hinged lid on my other one, hmmm.

Joe H

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:17 am
by topwater
Nice work as always dave :!:

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:36 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks Joe and John,
The seat box saga continues, now I know why I didn't want to start them. I would just say oh yeah I got to do the seat boxes. The work on these little boxes is unbelievable. You can only complete one thing on them at a time. So I keep pushing on them. Well here goes some pics it is easier for me to show them then explain.
Glassing the tops.
Ordered these 6" access hatches fron beckson marine. I think I got them for two bucks on close out.
Backing plate for battery switch.
Primed and painted areas not to be seen again. Its just easier to paint them now.
Tacked into final position. Now it is easy to see where watertite compartments are. I tried to use wasted space for some kind of storage. Used Copro's design for seat boxes with part of Lane's seats. The tray under seat will be able to be used for onboard tackle trays from plano.
Final coat on topside of hatches.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:46 pm
by Cracker Larry
That's beautiful, Dave! You're right, the little things take as long as the big things do and each piece requires a lot of little steps. Looks great :D

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:57 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks Larry,
Spent the whole weekend on the seats. Got them taped to the sole, tops epoxied onto boxes, filleted inside and taped to sole.
Last but not least top taped. here goes some pics of the weekend.
By my own thoughts I think I've been working on these seats for over a month. I still need to do the fairing on both, but I'm getting closer.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:41 am
by peter-curacao
Hope2float wrote: By my own thoughts I think I've been working on these seats for over a month.
BUILD-ON!
Dave
And that is really noticeable, they look great Dave! 8)

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:26 am
by justin_dwyer
Looks awesome Dave, looks like you have a great use of space...not wasting any. :)

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:15 am
by topwater
Nice job on the boxes Dave :!: How high did you end up making the boxes ? How high did the top of the seat
cushions end up being ? I was thinking of making my boxes 18 " high . Seat height i'll have to think about more
later . Also thinking of setting the boxes back from the steering bulkhead about 22" , am I in the ball park
with these measurement's :?:

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:05 pm
by Hope2float
TW i'm about 5'10" in height. The center of the steering wheel 7 1/4" from c station. The boxes are set 22 3/4" back from that station. I'm using a steering wheel with a suicide knob on it so I wanted the seats not to interfere with my belly, not as flat as it used to be. I wanted to be able to lean back and apply pressure on them with my legs. The seat has a slide travel of about 6" and i will check on that later. I also wanted to to be able to see the bow tip and have comfortable extention from the seat to the steering wheel. The box height is exactly 18 3/8" for sole to finish top, the seats are set at about 32 or 33 inches from sole to mid cushion. This gave me the clearence to the cabin roof and allowed me to view the bow tip just over the berth roof. The box edge catches the stringer below on the cleat and distance between boxes is 26" If you would like to build similar boxes I will gladly record all dimensions for you. The boxes are about 20 3/8" wide port to starboard and about 20" long. This worked with the battery width of 7" needed and the tray is set down from the box without top 5". If you need any detail pics of anything just ask no problem at all.
BUILD-ON!
Dave
BTW thanks Justin

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:31 am
by topwater
Thanks Dave , I wasn't far off just eyeballing it . My boxes will be no where near as elaborate as yours 8)

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:50 pm
by Hope2float
TW thats fine just wanted to extend the info too you and the offer still stands. I spent this weekend fairing the seat boxes and as usual, they kicked my butt. Elbow joints are beginning to hurt enough to slow me down. I don't think I could build this boat again if I started it now. I will finish it though. Anyway here are a coulpe of pics of the weekends work.
BUILD-ON!
Dave
Wood flour slurry for the first coat.
Quick fair for the second ready for epoxy. Just finish sanded the port side only.

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:28 pm
by justin_dwyer
Looking awesome Dave! :)

Once you finish your boat, I reckon you'll feel like you have the elbows of 20 year old :lol:

Merry Christmas!

Justin

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:55 pm
by Hope2float
Hope everybody had a good holiday. Still been working on the boat and i finally got the seat boxes into a primed state. the seat holes cleaned out and the 6" access covers installed. Some touch up still and ready for paint. Anyway here are some pics.
Dave
BUILD-ON!

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:31 am
by topwater
Great looking work Dave , love the pilot house windows :!:

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:13 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks TW. Took a good look at you your tread. That boat is really looking good and once again plenty big. Here are a few last pics of the seats and some of the backing plate for the 703 controls.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:25 pm
by justin_dwyer
Love your work Dave, looks awesome!!

They are some mighty comfortable looking chairs you got there :)

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:04 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi Dave,

Boat is looking awesome mate, I really enjoy ready your post (have done several times :) )

I don't know how to post in a quote or picture that you have previously posted, but I am interested in the pipes you have on the side of your hull as shown on page 23 of your thread (the half pipes half way up the hull). What are these for, chase tubes?

You are getting close now. :)

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:00 am
by Hope2float
Justin thanks for following. It gives us all the motivation to keep going. These projects are much larger in reality then minds lead us to believe. The answer is that the half pipes are only hull side stiffeners. The stations are solid from chine the gunwale. The chase tubes are below the sole and directly under each gunwale. Small chase tubes go from motor well compartments to the compartments under berth. Large chase goes from motor well to seat on starboard side to seat on port side and from starboard seat to berth compartment. There should be pics of all before foaming.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:08 pm
by Hope2float
Hi all here are some pics of this weekends work and the birth of the multiscreen. First is the 703 controls mounted, but not finished.
These pics demonstrate the cuts for the mounting frame. I scribed the arc from the dash then used the cut off on the top of the opposing side. I did this to keep the grain running horizontal. More work and no wasted wood. Remember I had this mahogany stored since 1997, saving it for something special.
Sides were made from cabin roof rail scrap.
I will call this the compass puck. I didn't want to drill 3" hole in the cabin roof to mount flush mount compass.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:45 pm
by glossieblack
More lovely fitout work Dave. :D

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:19 am
by justin_dwyer
Love your work Dave, as always, looks awesome! :)

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:27 am
by Cracker Larry
Very nice Dave 8)

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:21 pm
by Joe H
Wow Dave,
I'll take one of the 703 backing plates to go please, oh and the compass puck on the side!

Thanks.

Joe H

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:30 pm
by pee wee
Very nice. I love mahogany, such a nice wood to work with and so beautiful to look at. To think that in the old days people used it for siding on their houses, and now you practically have to take a loan out for a few pieces.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:57 pm
by Hope2float
Hey All, thanks for the compliments they are always appreciated. The weather up here has been very cold single digits to low 20s for about two weeks now. It makes the use of epoxy very limited. I did manage to get some more finish work done on her. The berth had some attention this week, the bright work was sanded and varnished. The dashboard was also sanded, varnished, sanded and varnished again. Drilled some holes for wiring and just plain hit the areas that needed some attention. I also finished the compass puck/ bezel. The footrests are also constructed, but not finished. Here are some pics.
Dash board after two coats of varnish.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:41 am
by justin_dwyer
Beautiful work as always Dave. :)

Love the footrest, great idea!

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:39 am
by Cracker Larry
What kind of varnish are you using, Dave? Sure looks good!

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:09 am
by Walkers Run
Cracker Larry wrote:What kind of varnish are you using, Dave? Sure looks good!
And how many coats of epoxy first?

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:18 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Larry, I'm embarrassed to tell you that it was some left over Minwax Helmsman spar varnish. I applied 3 coats of epoxy and sanded that flat to remove roller/ brush marks. The last coat of epoxy was thinned with Zylene/Zylol. This really helps the epoxy lay down flat. Each coat of varnish is wet sanded to keep brush marks down. I did find that the foam brushes leave a much flatter finish, but you need to tip it off slow or it will leave bubbles in the finish. Each coat of varnish was thinned with mineral spirits. I would rather spray the finish, but felt lazy about going through all the motions. Plan to put on a few more coats. Don't really need protection from water as much as sun light.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:54 pm
by justin_dwyer
Hi Dave,
I am very new to all this epoxying, varnishing, etc.
Could you explain to the "learners" among us why you thin down epoxy, etc and what with.
I am assuming that what ever you use doesn't effect the bonding of the material, it just thins it out so it is runnier and fills in all the tiny gaps, etc.

I read what you posted on Crackers thread about being a "beat up dog"...you are so close now and will be so worth it when you are skipping across the water. :wink:

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:40 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Justin, The only time I thinned the epoxy is for Bright finish work. First off all my bright work is first covered with 4oz glass to protect the wood from checking. There is at least 2 coats of straight epoxy on before I used any thinned epoxy. the reason why is that I was trying the acheive a mirror like finish with epoxy. The closest I got with straight epoxy was a brushed finish. I would roll it on with a foam roller for even distribution then tip it off with a foam brush. The first piece I tried it on was the bow pulpit.
I did not use it for any laminating or wetting out glass.
I don't know if there are any effects to the strenght of the epoxy, but it seems to me that after about 5 minutes all of the thinner has disipated and only the smell of the epoxy is left. The areas that I used it on can easily be sanded and recoated and are NOT structurual. The material I used to thin it is called xylene or xylol, it has a very potent odor to it and I added it after epoxy and hardener were mixed. I don't know about any weakening effects in its use and would not consider this approach for any wetting out of glass.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:28 pm
by gk108
Great looking work.
I ended up using Minwax varnish on several parts of my V10 build. Even used the rattle-can spray version on a couple of parts. It still looks nice and shiny.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:42 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks for the explanation Dave, certainly looks good!

I'll be trying to get a similar finish to some of the parts on my boat, I was thinking about having the deck done like this, I'll see when I get there.

Although paint is a good way to conceal any dodgy workmanship :roll:

Keep it up.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:43 am
by Walkers Run
What about thinning the final coat of white pigmented epoxy? I'm trying to get the inside of my fish boxes, coolers, and live well to look like paint. Or should I just paint them?

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:08 pm
by pee wee
I used white pigmented epoxy inside my storage areas, but I didn't thin it. It took three coats before it looked solid, and since it sets up slower than paint it tends to drip and sag if you put it on too heavy. I do like the way it turned out, though- very smooth and shiny.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:11 pm
by Hope2float
WR once you have the color that you want and you get it smooth a thinned coat will be just fine. I would use a foam roller to apply and tip with foam brush. It probably wont sag because it will be very thin. Tip it then walk away they are only storage boxes.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:07 pm
by Hope2float
Hey all no pictures to post, but spent last couple of weekends sanding in the berth. Almost ready for final primer. We have been in a deep freeze here for two months. Progress is slow.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:56 pm
by Hope2float
I've finally have been released from the berth prison. I have probably spent a few week in there. The companion way is installed, The last coats of varnish on the dash and berth brite work are complete and berth is painted on the roof and sides, only the floor left. It feels good to be out of the hold. Here are some pics.
BUILD_ON!
Dave

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:59 pm
by justin_dwyer
You are a craftsman Dave, it looks like a work of art!!

Beautiful!! :)

I am talking a month off work starting this afternoon, so hopefully I'll get my P-19 glassed in the next few weeks (weather dependant).

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:40 am
by Walkers Run
Look's like your time in the hole was well spent. Looks beautiful. I love the combination of white paint and bright wood.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:12 am
by topwater
Dave the bright work looks incredible 8) I hear what your saying about working in the berth area ,
I have been putting it off as long as I can . It wont be long before I am interned in the berth jail :(
Build on !
John

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:25 pm
by Biscuit
Dave,
You're doing an amazing job. The brightwork is truly a work of art.
Jeff

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:16 am
by pee wee
Your patience is really paying off, beautiful!

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:27 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks all for the encouragement and compliments. I just went out to the boat to check on the varnish and it is still kicking off. I can smell varnish on the surface and its not fully hardened. The temps here this week in the twenties and I didn't heat it up at all during the week. Is like the song goes its slow ride, take it easy. Weather is supposed to break this weekend to normal levels. Its almost time to relieve the canopy from active duty. Maybe one more week and she will see some sunshine. Need the room to layout and affix the radar arch and so on.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:36 pm
by osotexan
Simply beautiful Dave. Awesome work

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:43 pm
by spdnby
She's looking sweet, I can't wait to slobber the deck red with the blood from some 20 pound bluefish.

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:40 pm
by Hope2float
Hello to all, yes this means you too. I thought I was relieved from the berth only to find myself there again this weekend. I managed to get the second coat of paint on the side compartments in the berth. Epoxied the hatch supports, those should be ready for primer. Last but not least I put the final coat of paint on the inside of the seat boxes. Here goes some pictures of a slow weekend.
I also worked on the seat box hatch lids and the foot rests. I wouldn't call it a stellar weekend and I did alot of dilly dallying for the most part. I just wasn't feeling it.
BUILD-ON!

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:12 pm
by justin_dwyer
You wouldn't know you were dilly dallying Dave, looks fantastic!! :D

I love you sounder mount, great work!

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:45 pm
by Hope2float
Hey all, I'm back at it or should I say i've been at it only at a snails pace. Its been crazy around here weather wise and family got a good dose of the flu, which I might add knocks the poop out of you. The boat canopy has officially been removed from use. Its now resides at a neighbors house for him to get some good use out of it. The boat got some new uogrades as well, She is mated with her new trailer.
The port windows are now in on a more permenant basis. The only thing left on them is to mount the trim rings.
I did cheat a little on the grab rails for the berth roof. I purchased them for 17.00 dollars. I could make ones for it, but for the price I couldn't resist. The seat boxes now have the fire extinguishers mounted in them and final paint on the seat boxes is complete.
Kiwi grip is done but not stellar results. I should have broken it up or got someone to help remove tape. It was cool outside, but the sun was out which I think made it dry like lighting. It can be rerolled were it is lacking. Thought I got it all but have a few missed spots.
That it for this post I'll be back later for some more updating.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:01 pm
by pee wee
That's looking really good. I like the color combination of Kiwi Grip and paint, too. :)

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:23 pm
by Cracker Larry
Beautiful 8)

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:54 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Fantastic work 8) Looks great in the light :)

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:09 pm
by garym
Dave,

Really really nice job.
If you're getting as much rain as I am you might have an expedited launch date.
Maybe tonight. :lol:

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:43 pm
by peter-curacao
Awesome!! 8)

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:17 am
by topwater
Nice work Dave i knew you were busy . Love the color of your hull , what color is that :?:

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:45 am
by justin_dwyer
Looks awesome Dave, you've done a really neat job.
Justin

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:44 am
by Joe H
Hey Dave,
Looks great! I'm still debating on Kiwi Grip but please tell me how you got the boat the rest of the way on your trailer, , which looks fantastic by the way, I'm at the point of bringing my P19 out of the garage and onto the trailer and I like what I can see of your process, did you just crank her on with the wench attached to the eye bolt the rest of the way or did you help her along somehow?

Thanks.
Joe H

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:07 pm
by Hope2float
Joe the kiwi is fine but have someone there to remove tape as you go or it will be to much to manage. If I had more time on the application I could have done a better job. The tape removal prohibited that because the material was setting when I got back to rolling. As for the colors on the boat it is semi gloss white by Petite, grey Kiwi grip and Gray primer on the hull sides which will be Sunflower Yellow, this is the girls choice! and last but not least bottom is Interlux gloss white. The weather up here has been very bad for the most part or I would have been splashed already. Maybe
BUILD_ON!
Dave

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:21 pm
by Hope2float
Took the boat on a little road trip down to the NJ marine police. They were impressed with the boat and have given me the ok to register. I did have to have the dispatcher have them come in off the water. The office was locked up tighter than a drum. The process took about 45 minutes with no hiccups and I was on my way. She is now ok to go.
Dave

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:30 pm
by Hope2float
Hey all I'm still here. I have not posted in a while but Might be launching this week. I will get you all up to date soon.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:39 pm
by Cracker Larry
Still watching :D

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:24 am
by topwater
And waiting :wink:

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:42 am
by Joe H
Hello? :D

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:28 am
by Doc_Dyer

….

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:15 pm
by Hope2float
Its been a long while since any real update. So here goes a small one.
Bilge set up.
Helm layout and switch locations.
A place to relax and enjoy the view.
The trip to the NJ State Police.
Radio box and backing plate for steering.
Getting closer and for those not close, when you get close it is still far away.
Beginning the wiring.
I will be back later tonoght for some more updating.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:18 pm
by jorgepease
Beautiful! Im about to start my wiring, haven't a clue what I need or where to start!!

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:31 am
by topwater
Looking good Dave :!:

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:24 am
by Cracker Larry
Getting closer and for those not close, when you get close it is still far away.
Aint that the truth :lol: Looks great Dave.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:36 pm
by Joe H
You'll like those deck chairs, they will come in real handy, ask me how I know! :)

Joe H

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:23 pm
by spdnby
We are patiently waiting.....I would like to see some flatties on the deck Skipper.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:00 pm
by Hope2float
Hey all, its been a short while since my last update and I promise the next one will please. Here goes the progression ...
Radar arch with solar charger, anchor light and radio ant.
Motorwell construction complete as far as structure is concerned.
The nation we all belong too.
The motor is hung the same way the stockings are WITH CARE...
Accessories for motorwell.
IMO badass looking motor. waited a long time for that.
I will be back to finish this post and I am looking at everyones work. I think what is being done here is some damm good work. Just didn't have much time for computer.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:14 pm
by jorgepease
That motor IS bad ass!! Love the way its turning out!

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:36 am
by topwater
Dave the boat is getting soooo close to being launched 8) the work is top notch as always :!:

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:02 am
by Cracker Larry
Sure does look sweet, Dave 8)

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:49 am
by Noles309
Oh hail yeah...Love it! 8)

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:56 am
by Joe H
Your work looks fantastic Dave, but I think I may have said that before!

Are you doing anything more for a rubrail?

Joe H

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:41 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Joe I haven't thought that much about the rub rail, but it may be in the cards for next year. I will complete the build on this post.
Birth is complete with cushions that I had made for it.
Radio box in and finished. It sounds awesome and it is only 19 watts per channel.
Hull painting complete and the color is pearl grey. I sprayed on five coats. The imperfections in the fairing of course had to jump out at me, but doesn't seem to bother anyone else.
Wiring is 99 precent complete and all systems function except windlass.
All is under its own lighting.
All ready to go you know whats next.
BUILD-ON!
Dave
PS thanks all for following along and commenting as we went.

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:48 pm
by jorgepease
wow, really great job, cushions came out really nice.

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:15 pm
by Hope2float
Hello folks! As i promised, it has now splashed! The link to the maiden voyage video is below! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBszGlAY8-E

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:19 pm
by Cracker Larry
Very nice 8) The family, the boat, the scenery, the video, all good. Great job Dave!

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:48 pm
by justin_dwyer
Great job Dave, she is a beautiful looking boat. Now it is time to enjoy 8)

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:59 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks Larry for your comments, support and teaching. I for one drew upon your knowledge on a regular basis. I not sure, but I think my status may elevate to a least builder.LOL i will in the upcoming days post videos on it running. The boat did not disappoint in any areas of performance. Tracks well, very stable, dry, handles rough water well and the best thing of all it is very fast!
Dave

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:00 pm
by Noles309
Shes a beaut! Awesome job!

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:39 am
by topwater
Congrats Dave :!: Man that is Awesome... 8)

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:31 pm
by wildbill
Look's like a Happy Family! Well Done! and a nice boat to boot 8)

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:02 am
by Joe H
Dave, the boat looks great! Man what a feeling!

Joe H

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:11 pm
by BB Sig
Nice boat! It looks like you have some family and friends that will enjoy your hard work.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:24 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Folks here is a link to one of the first speed tests for those who care.
http://youtu.be/QXIzNbpv2Rk
Thanks TW and all the rest of you guys who hung in there for such a long time. This is one of the greastest accomplishments of my life. It is definitely the longest project I have ever been committed to. The boat is a real performer, she is one pleasant surprise after another.

The video will be up in a bit and I will upload more. I hope you all enjoy and keep at your projects. My compliments to Jacques for a solid design for these northern waters. I will also continue to visit the forum regularly, as the boat is not 100 percent complete yet.
Dave

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:02 pm
by Cracker Larry
I will also continue to visit the forum regularly, as the boat is not 100 percent complete yet.
You can't desert us now Dave. Once BBV gets in your blood, you will have to build another one :D

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:29 am
by wegcagle
Awesome Dave 8) Congrats on the splash! Great videos

Will

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:02 pm
by pee wee
Very nice! Thanks for sharing your build with everyone. :D

Re: Hope2float's P-21 in Jackson Splashed!

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:47 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks all for the support each of you gave during this process. I will upload another video tonight.
Dave

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:35 pm
by alball
Congratulations, she is a beautiful boat. Great Accomplishment!

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:50 am
by Hope2float
Hello to all! The boat is running fine and ready for first oil change. The only problem I had is that the 6oz that I applied to the outside of the spray rail Has been removed by water pressure. If water gets under the edge its gone. I have repaired one spot with 12oz and it seems to have cured the problem. Anyway here is a video of some of the full throttle runs. This boat just doesn't disappoint.
BUILD-ON!
Dave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZu9qLOX7L8

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:26 pm
by justin_dwyer
Great work Dave.
I'll heed the warning on the spray rails, I was going to cover mine with 6oz, but might upgrade it to 12 oz.

Have you got any shots of the boat running from another boat, so we can see her up on the plane from the outside, I'd love to see how she looks.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:25 am
by jorgepease
looks like she rides pretty smooth!

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:27 pm
by Hope2float
Thanks again all for the compliments. This boat is great, it feels very stable. The trim tabs work great when they are needed. Justin I am working on getting those types of videos. The waters over here have been pretty bad becuase of all the storms. When it settles down I will try to get some up and running.
BUILD_ON!
Dave

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:30 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Dave, I love your boat, I think you have done a great job :D

Don't be afraid to post some in bad weather, that would be great to see how she handles, I know she'll look awesome in good weather :wink:

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:41 pm
by Hope2float
Will do

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:06 pm
by justin_dwyer
Hey Dave, you still out there?

How is your boat going?

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:04 pm
by Hope2float
Hey all, I'm back and I have been lurking around. I see some real good work going on here as usual. Justin the answer is yes I am still out here. The boat was stored inside for the winter. I had a great opportunity to store it for free. I could even work on it there as the space was heated. I did not take full advantage of that. I did bring her back home on Mothers day weekend. I still have some small tasks to complete to be called finished. I painted the berth platform and the perimeter around the gunwales to get ready for Kiwi grip. While it was at the shop I had to replace the all around light because I broke off the stainless one when I backed her up into the shop. Take notice of the clearence to the roof of the shop.
Here are some pics of the days work. I am trying to complete repair to the spray rails before the holiday weekend.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:29 pm
by Cracker Larry
Hey all, I'm back
When you come back, you come back right and looking good :D Beautiful work.

I took out a rod holder on my shed roof a while back too :roll: What kind of solar panel is that behind the radome?

Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:14 pm
by Hope2float
Hey to all this is the update to the Kiwi grip and berth. The Kiwi is now done, but it can use another coat. It still looks great makes it feel finished. All I have to do is run the wiring for the windlass now. Thanks to all of you on this forum. Ok here are some pictures of todays work.
BUILD-ON!
Dave
I will keep the updates coming and help where ever I can.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:59 pm
by jacquesmm
Beautiful!
This looks so much better than my renderings, it's a real boat.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:32 pm
by Hope2float
Hey all its been a long time since I posted. I would like to report that the boat is GREAT! It has done everything asked of it. Rough water is a little hard on the kidneys but for the most part it is a very capable boat. We enjoyed fishing the Atlantic until late fall. It has served the family very well including all the friends. I kept her in the driveway this winter because I didn't have the opportunity to store it.
I've been getting ready for this spring.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:10 pm
by Jeff
Hope2float, beautiful job!! Really well done!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:11 pm
by Eric1
Very Nice Boat! I have to go back through your build now!

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:24 pm
by topwater
It's good to hear from you again Dave ,glad you have had fun with the boat 8)

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 pm
by Hope2float
Good to see all of you guys again. The boat is still just great. I did have to paint the bottom this year and repair some cosmetic gouges in the hull. I modified the bunks on the trailer because they were just a little long in the front and it caused some paint damage when putting in and out. For the most part I'm very satisfied with this boat. Dave BUILD-ON!

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:10 pm
by bateau-webmaster
Hope2float: Long overdue upgrade to builder status.

:oops:

Congratulations!

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm
by Hope2float
Hello to all . I would like to report that we are still enjoying the P-21. It is in need of a little TLC but it is still a great boat. Fast, reliable and a joy for the whole family. To all the builders out there BUILD-ON! it will pay off. I will send some updated Photos soon
Dave
I do miss Cracker Larry with his knowledge and insight. Not to take away from any of the great builders here.

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:43 am
by jonnymac
Hope2float wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm Hello to all . I would like to report that we are still enjoying the P-21. It is in need of a little TLC but it is still a great boat. Fast, reliable and a joy for the whole family. To all the builders out there BUILD-ON! it will pay off. I will send some updated Photos soon
Dave
I do miss Cracker Larry with his knowledge and insight. Not to take away from any of the great builders here.
I hope the boat is still going great. beautiful work. I didn’t see it anywhere, but what size motor did you end up on it?

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:17 am
by Cowbro
jonnymac wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:43 am
I hope the boat is still going great. beautiful work. I didn’t see it anywhere, but what size motor did you end up on it?
In the pictures you can just barely tell that it is a Yamaha F150. I believe another P21 has an F115 and another with a Johnson/Suzuki 140.

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:05 pm
by jonnymac
Thanks! I was just trying to get an idea of what different p21 boats have been powered with and what they thought.
Cowbro wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:17 am
jonnymac wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:43 am
In the pictures you can just barely tell that it is a Yamaha F150. I believe another P21 has an F115 and another with a Johnson/Suzuki 140.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:16 am
by Hope2float
I have not posted in years.. Got up early and decided to take a look. The first post I see was from a friend Lane and his P21. Wow what a coincidence. My p21 is great. 150 Yamaha four stroke for power. I sleep out on it during the summer all the time. 50 miles per hour is top speed. Good luck lane with the project. Build-on

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:28 pm
by Cowbro
Hope2float wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:16 am I have not posted in years.. Got up early and decided to take a look. The first post I see was from a friend Lane and his P21. Wow what a coincidence. My p21 is great. 150 Yamaha four stroke for power. I sleep out on it during the summer all the time. 50 miles per hour is top speed. Good luck lane with the project. Build-on
That is great to hear that your boat is still out there getting used. After all of these years, is there anything you would change? Any advice for others considering the P21?

Phil

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:58 pm
by Fuzz
Hope2float wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm I do miss Cracker Larry with his knowledge and insight. Not to take away from any of the great builders here.
You are not the only one to miss the man. No one could mix a great build thread and a story like him.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:39 am
by TomTom
Hope2float wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:16 am I have not posted in years.. Got up early and decided to take a look. The first post I see was from a friend Lane and his P21. Wow what a coincidence. My p21 is great. 150 Yamaha four stroke for power. I sleep out on it during the summer all the time. 50 miles per hour is top speed. Good luck lane with the project. Build-on
Great to see you back on the forum. And your boat really is a beauty.

That’s a pretty impressive turn of speed you get there! You must have built her nice and light.

I would be really curious to know your other speeds at different rpms.

I have Yamaha 150 on my stretched C19 …. And I am nowhere close to that top speed! I think 42 mph is mine.