TX 18 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: TX 18 Build

Post by gstanfield »

you just need to upgrade to a vacuum table for your cnc, those are really nice as they hold the part in place as well as help with dust control :wink:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Daniel Huckleberry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Daniel Huckleberry »

Hey Derrick,

Just wondered if you got that transom mounted and those panels stitched up?!

Huck

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Huck,

Transom mounted and stiching started. Large bottom panels loosely stitched... Now for the sides. There are lots of bends with the six panels..... I will just see how it goes.....

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

I'm trying to get as much done as I can with the limited time I have to do it in. My plate is full but I would like to have the whole thing glassed before the summer heat really hits. I just need to torture this thing into an even, fair shape that is identical on both sides..... That shouldn't be too hard with 6 panels..... :roll:

Daniel Huckleberry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Daniel Huckleberry »

Looks good to me! Cute kid, too! Looks like his mom.

The only thing I remember is that I glued a 1' wide piece of 3/8 plywood (on edge) under the front edge of the center panels. I am sure that is unclear and I can't access my photo gallery right now to show you. I found that without it the panel really got a bow in it from side to side and didn't lay down on my jig properly. Of course, you may not have that problem.

Wish I was closer. I would love to help. I had a very experienced friend helping and my younger brother mixing resin for us. Took us about 6 or 7 hours to glass the entire outside. That was tape and fabric.

I am tired of mountain weather. 36 here today with wet show. I am about ready to give up on land work and be a beach bum again! Florida's sounding really good.

Huck

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Hey Huck,

That kid does look like his mother.

This Okoume is pretty flexible stuff. I will see what it looks like once I stitch the front part of the panels to the foward bow molds. It will be interesting to see how it comes together. I just need to really make sure the transom is perfect from side to side and top to bottom...

I would love it if you would move over to this area. Let me know when you are over this way and we can hook up.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Hey Derrick, looking good! I'm not doing anything on Saturday if you need a hand. Let me know...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Dang, that's a bunch of stitches 8O
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Richard,

I would love your help this weekend. I'll give you a call later.

CL,

I put them every 6 inches and will tighten them very slowly to prevent bowing or warping between stitches. I just didn't want to have to keep adding more as I went along....

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

I spent a few hours this morning with Richard tightening the zip ties and trying to twist this bad boy into shap... Here is what we have so far. I have not commited to tack weld it yet.... I had kid duty that stopped me from finishing the tack welding.....