problem...what is going on here?

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
hooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

problem...what is going on here?

Post by hooter »

I've followed all directions to the letter. Correct temp/humidity/indoors/meticulous surface prep/correct induction time etc.

what is causing these little areas of repusled paint showing up on the surface after rolling and tipping? Is this is surface prep contaminant ( I don't think it is because the same thing is happening on the sides of the container it was mixed in) Is there a problem with the brushing catalyst? Has it "gone bad"? Advise. My weekend has just had a major wrench thrown in it as this was the perfect weather and was "the weekend" after a year or so of prep...

hooter

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: problem...what is going on here?

Post by tech_support »

could be a couple things that I know of:

I have had something similar happen before, little craters where the paint pulled away from itself. For me it was something on the surface or mixed into the paint that is caused it, because the next coat covered it right up and it do not happen again.

Another time, I cleaned the brush after tipping half the hull, then when I went back to tipping I had spots where the paint separated from the surface. It was like what you show but much worse. The cause was that I had straight reducer still in the brush. After cleaning the brush, you need to press it into the paint, really soaking it, then press out the excess before tipping again. Otherwise, unmixed reducer will be floating around on your brush (or maybe in the pot) and cause the separation.

I would not bet on the catalyst being the problem, its supposed to be stored in a cool place, it would not be damaged by cold either.
Something else: If the paint does not have a long enough induction time, I have noticed pin holes do not release as well.

hooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by hooter »

you can see the reflection of a light and the garage door in the pics. Its glossy but there are areas about every 3 inches where these little spots show up within a minute or so. it is also doing it on the sides of the mixing container (making me think it is not a surface prep problem).

I used the same container of brushing thinner when rolling the primer and had nothing like this happen. I'm leaning towards it being the brushing converter but having never used this or any other LPU, i dunno...

help appreciated

hOOter

hooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by hooter »

I think we posted at the same time. sorry.

So for a fix...do i scrap the existing mixed pot and try again or roll with it and pray for better results on the recoat?

Thanks for the help.

hOOter

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

the primer is much thicker, much higher surface tension, so this would not necessarily happen even if you mixed it the same way (assuming it is what I suggest). The paint is water thin, so any unmixed reducer would have this effect. My best bet at this point is stray reducer.

I doubt its surface prep if it is the same on both sides.

hit it with another coat and see what happens

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

As I look at it closer and read what Shine says, it looks like what they call fish eye's. I've had this happen with other paint before and as near as I can tell it was something on the surface. What did you use for wipe down? I'm very interested in what has caused this as I'll be applying sterling very soon :help: Also what color is this??
Larry B
Completed: FL14, OD18

hooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by hooter »

The reason I don't think it is surface prep is the sides of the mixing container also have spots where it is doing this after it is mixed and after the brushing thinner is applied.

As far as wipe down, I used distilled water and a two rag method. Allowed at least 30 minutes for complete drying. I did this in the cleaned garage with the door down for minimal dust/debris.

Color is Jay gray. This first pics are in poor light to illustrate the little spots.

My advice...somehow manage the dust. It is incredible how this stuff collects dust miles around. Might want to apply this stuff in a booth. I'm stumped. I tried everything but like many things in life, perfection is impossible.

hOOter

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Any chance the mixing container was contaminated with something? Or the mixing stick? I'm grasping at straws.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Cracker Larry wrote:Any chance the mixing container was contaminated with something? Or the mixing stick? I'm grasping at straws.
You know, if it's in the mixing cup and on the boat, then yea sounds like some sort of contamination going on :doh: It wouldn't take much of something that is not compatible with the sterling to make this happen. Something to check into :doh:
Completed: FL14, OD18

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Hooter, it looks to me like there are droplets of some unmixed chemical that is faster drying than the paint. I have seen thinned paints that were not mixed well enough that have done this. When the paint is drying the thinner dries faster and leaves a hole in the paint. I don't know what the brush convertor is but was it well mixed? :doh: