Teal??

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Teal??

Post by Uncle D »

I found the pdf color chart on this site. I had sent an email for a chart but it either hasn't got here yet or the email didn't get through. On the color chart, the closest to teal seams to be the Jay Gray 2142. Is there colors available that are not shown on the chart. Thanks, Don

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Teal??

Post by Cracker Larry »

I don't know the answer, but did you see Hooter's FS18 with the Jay Gray?

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Thanks CL, I did see his, didn't realize that was Jay Grey. I'm lookin for some thing closer to this.I think it has more green.

hooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by hooter »

The only thing to do is to get your hands on a color chart from sterling...the only thing is, you can't get a color chart from sterling!

I have tried, You would think those things are made of gold. They don't give them away :doh: :doh: :doh:

The PDF charts are so far off due to variations in computer monitors that you can't rely on it until you see it in your hand on the color chart.

Might try googling them and calling the office directly. I did this and was met with a little resistance. I told them I was a private consumer painting a one time project and the lady I spoke with became friendly and told me "sure we'll ship one today"...never got it.

I finally got one by borrowing it from a member on the board.

Might also try getting Mark Billingslys e-mail from shine. He seems to be interested in customer service.
If you are picky about the color, don't rely on the PDF file unless you have a calibrated high quality color monitor.

Just my $.02

hOOter

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Thanks Hoot, I did get a System Three color chart from this site even though I had asked for a Sterling Chart. Guess that was all they had and I'm glad it was sent. It gave me a chance to compare. The price is better for S3, that's for sure. I just don't know about comparison. I'll request that email from Shine. D.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

If you are using Sterling, and they don't have the precise color you are looking for, ask their tech(s) if you can add some of of the greener green to bring the color into place. Just mix carefully and measure carefully, and write down the formula, and maintain ratios for all batches. I did this with S3 to get this color for the stern trim. Got the formula of ratios right on the can. :)

Image6761

I used their Orcas White as a base and tinted it with Mercer Green and Shaw Blue. If Sterling gives a go on blending your own with their pre-blended colors, you've got a project ahead! :) But not all paint systems can tolerate cross mixing color formulations. However, for the color you are looking for, I'm thinking that might be doable with most any paint system. Please do check with them first, particularly in view that it is not cheap paint. :)

remedy32

Re: Teal?? EDITOR PLEASE REVIEW THIS!

Post by remedy32 »

Above probably doesn't belong here.

bill

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

I dunno Bill. I could see how "farm animal monster horror sex" could relate to fairing and sanding :lol:

Yeah, it seems that more and more of these older thread are getting hijacked :x

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

mechdave
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by mechdave »

I'll never look at teal again without thinking of this thread. :roll:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

8O Just when you think you've seen it all :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose