Project TW28

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Project TW28

Post by colinhart »

Following a really good suggestion I will post stuff under this subject from now on thanks Colin

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Project TW28

Post by Uncle D »

Like Tom said in your outer thread, Go back to the first page and edit the title if you'd like to continue with whats been posted.

colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by colinhart »

Tried editing but no effect,So will stick to this thread in furture. Glued and taped the panels today feels good. Celebrating with a nice glass of Merlot.
Start on fixing the keel next. Scary how quickly the level of the barrel of epoxy goes down

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

colinhart wrote:Glued and taped the panels today feels good. Celebrating with a nice glass of Merlot.
Start on fixing the keel next. Scary how quickly the level of the barrel of epoxy goes down
A barrel? A big barrel? How much do you think it'll take to get it all taped & glued?
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Did you change the subject to Re: Project TW28. That is the important one to change. And will be the only one acknowleded by the system.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by colinhart »

Yes I did change it but it only changed the first one.
Re the amount of epoxy I am using the West system epoxy and I bought the 225kg drum. Its an absolute b****ch to move but its getting lighter all the time.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Look forward to the rest of your build here Colin. Sorry it didn't work like it should have. Bummer. Oh well. Build on and we'll see the TW28 come together here. Have fun
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by colinhart »

I have taped and epoxyed the bottom panels to the sides. I then cut the ties holding the two bottom panels together. This caused them to spring apart towards the bow lifting them off the frames about 3-4 inches on the first three e.g B a small amount and C, D a greater amount. The keel line looks fair when viewed along it and the curve it makes is quite a pleasing one. Does it matter if the panels do not touch if the shape is symetrical both sides and has no dips in it. I suppose the keel sides may not touch all the way along but this could be filled. What do you think Guys did you have the same problem? :help:

vla
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by vla »

colinhart wrote:I have taped and epoxyed the bottom panels to the sides. I then cut the ties holding the two bottom panels together. This caused them to spring apart towards the bow lifting them off the frames about 3-4 inches on the first three e.g B a small amount and C, D a greater amount. The keel line looks fair when viewed along it and the curve it makes is quite a pleasing one. Does it matter if the panels do not touch if the shape is symetrical both sides and has no dips in it. I suppose the keel sides may not touch all the way along but this could be filled. What do you think Guys did you have the same problem? :help:
Colin,

Could you send some pictures, so I have a clear picture of your problem?

Allard
TW28 Stoere meid, the best boat for long trips

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

Colin wrote:lifting them off the frames about 3-4 inches on the first three e.g B a small amount and C, D a greater amount
Colin,

3 - 4 inches and more, it does seem a lot to me. Fair curves are the most important, but if I understand your message correctly, there will be large gaps between the keel panels and the bottom panel. You can deal with that, no problem, but I would ty to avoid this. Would it be possible to keep the bottom panels tied together until the keel panels are mounted?

I do not remember having a similar problem, I have always been amazed how well the panels dit fit the mold.
Some pictures would indeed help.

Peter