Project TW28

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Project TW28

Post by MikeyGnz »

colinhart wrote: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:51 am Thanks for the help I got an email from another source saying that 16mm equates to 3/8th BSP how that works I am not sure but as BSP is based on the Whitworth thread and that was old when my Dad started his toolmaker apprentiship and hes 90 now who knows I will buy some 3/8ths hose tails and see if they fit cheers Colin
I know you are a long way past this now but for anyone that is interested the BSP sizes refer to the size pipe the fitting is for and the pipe size is the rough diameter of the hole down the middle. So a 3/8 hole with two walls of 1/8 each gives 5/8.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Another thing to be aware of is that "BSP" covers both straight (parallel) threads (BSPP), and tapered threads (BSPT, like what we normally think of as "pipe" threads). So it's important to know what you are looking for. There are a few BSPP threads on my MGA even though most of the fasteners holding the car together are UNF. It is unlikely that any of the threads cross reference to an ISO metric or NPT pipe thread since they use a Whitworth thread form which has a 55 degree angle and rounded crests/roots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Happy birthday Colin. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Happy Birthday Colin!!!! Jeff

colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by colinhart »

Cheers Guys the years go too quickly hope to get back on the boat this year been too long in the making.

vla
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by vla »

Also a happy birthday Colin, and good to see that you are back on the build!

Allard
TW28 Stoere meid, the best boat for long trips

colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by colinhart »

Finally started back on the boat. Laid up the last layer of epoxy on the cabin area, if the weather holds hope to be able to start painting. Does anyone know where to draw the boot line on the hull, how can I tell where the tw28 hull sits in the water?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

colinhart there is no way to know where the hull sits in the water until you get her loaded at the dock. Jacques gives some weight ranges in the study plans of 7,500-9,750lbs for light to heavy loads. As for the boot stripe measure from the lowest point on the keel up 34" or 86.36cm and that is the top of the boot stripe. Just make straight forward and aft. You can see one on the study plans. Well hope that helps you some.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

colinhart wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:57 am Finally started back on the boat. Laid up the last layer of epoxy on the cabin area, if the weather holds hope to be able to start painting. Does anyone know where to draw the boot line on the hull, how can I tell where the tw28 hull sits in the water?
The boot line can be done either with a water test or paint it 3" wide from dwl up.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

vla
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by vla »

Colin, how did I do it.
The boat must be level in length and transverse direction.
I read somewhere that the tip of the transom should just touch the water. So that's your reference point. Then the waterline was drawn using a laser level.
When launched, it turned out that the bow was more than 8 centimeters higher. I corrected that a bit with ballast. This of course depends on the weight of all equipment and where it is placed.
I hope this helps you on your way a bit.

If you come to the mainland (France) give me a heads up, I will try to be in Zeebrugge, Nieuwpoort, Dunkirk or Calais!
Sounds like a nice international TW28 meeting, maybe Peter and de Luka can be there too. Unique 3 TW28 together.

Good luck and I look forward to reading your progress.

Allard
TW28 Stoere meid, the best boat for long trips