FOSTER'S XF20

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FOSTER'S XF20

Post by Prarie Dog »

Foster, Houston Hardwoods has Aquatec ply at reasonable prices. Their price is about the same as BBC but if you pick it up in Houston you will save the freight. Their number is 713 686-6176. :D

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Defiantly buy the Aquatec for the hull and sides. You'll be sorry if you don't. Ask me how I know :oops: :oops: You can use the marine ply for stringers, bulkheads, sole and decks if you want. I'm going that way but I'll cover everything (marine ply) in lightweight cloth and epoxy before I install.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Looking forward to lots of pics. Don

FOSTER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FOSTER »

I ended up buying hydrotek 1088 plywood from Houston Hardwood Inc. (thanks to y'all for the info) 14 sheets of 3/8" and 1 sheet of 1/2". What kind of wood do y'all use for framing? Where can I buy system 3 magicgel epoxy glue, fiberglass tape and resin in the Houston area and what glue do y'all recommend?
Brent

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

You would have to look long and hard to find a better deal than the kit from Bateau. If you aren't price sensitive use silvertip and quick filet.

FOSTER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FOSTER »

That will probably be the easiest is just buy it from here I just thought the shipping would be expensive. Is the quick filet the glue?
Brent

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

The glue is thickened epoxy. The epoxy is usually mixed with wood flour, to make glue, the consistency is about like ketchup. The wood flour will be included in the kit. Fillets are made with the same material mixed thicker. Fillets are built on inner corners so there is a nice radius for the biaxial tape to lay in. Quick fillet is a two part material that makes nice fillets because the thickener is mixed in a vacum so it is dense and lays out well, there is no air in it. Some forum members don't think it's worth the money others do. I've used both and like the quick fillet very much, you don't have to worry about it kicking while you're mixing in the woodflour. When you order your kit ask Joel what he thinks of it or start a thread in the materials section. You will get a lot of feedback. Another good thing to use is the refillable caulk tubes, they are very nice for laying out nice fillets. I think there are several builders in the Houston area that may offer to help you get going on mixing epoxy and building fillets, working wet on wet, etc.. All the info is on this site but sometimes one demonstration is worth a couple thousand words. After you work with the materials awhile it will be so easy you will wonder why you ever thought there was anything to it. It's a real simple process. No one here will think any question is a bad one, we've all been there. :D

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Welcome to this site Foster. You will find it very helpful to read up on the building techniques of this process(fillets, glue,wetting out cloth, etc). You can build this boat. I built an OD18 6 years ago. Had only the type of experience building you said you have. Follow the guides and advice given on this site and you will be very pleased. looking forward to some pics. John

FOSTER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FOSTER »

Well I have been working allot since I bought the wood so I tried to get stated a few days ago only worked on it for a couple of hours. I am wondering how to cut the side do I lay the three sheets of plywood along the floor butt to butt? Then measure it out and install nails every 2 feet and then use a piece of pvc to mark the line for the cut?

Brent

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

For the side panels, you need top and bottom marks, both of which have curvature. I did one sheet at a time, made the marks every 2 feet or so, then laid a nice piece of PVC pipe along the bends, which was held in place by small trim nails. These panels took some work to get right. I don't have a picture, and its kind of hard to explain via typing. Call me if you'd like 352-745-six nine five zero.

seth
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Here is a picture of the method:
http://www.bateau2.com/howto/camber.php
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com