Primer compatibility

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
jbridges
Active Poster
Active Poster

Primer compatibility

Post by jbridges »

Hey guys, Jerry here. I've almost finished this 3 year phantom build and have been distracted yet another time trying to get some paint and body work done on one of my cars. I have a gallon of sterling primer that I will probably only use half of to finish the boat. What I was wondering is if it would be comparable with a basecoat/ clearcoat urethane that I will use on the car. And also how would i thin it to use it in a sprayer ? Thanks for your help !

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Primer compatibility

Post by tech_support »

Which primer, high-build or finish? The reducers are different for spraying.

I have no clue if the paint will be compatible, chances are it will work, but you should try a test sample first

Post by Guest »

Hey joel, It was the high build. The guy in your supply store said it will work because it is the same primer that is used for auto but he wanted me to check with you to be sure. Also he wasn't sure on how to thin it. I'm almost tempted to just roll it on ! It's gonna get sanded anyway. Thanks

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Guest wrote: I'm almost tempted to just roll it on ! It's gonna get sanded anyway. Thanks
I sure would, unless you have some strange spaces that cannot be reached with a roller/brush

Post by Guest »

Can a sterling top coat be applied over a high build epoxy primer or do I need to apply finish primer first. Before top coat?

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

You can apply it over high build primer. At least I did and got pretty good results.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Cracker Larry wrote:You can apply it over high build primer. At least I did and got pretty good results.
Me Too :D
Completed: FL14, OD18