Make woodflour?

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
StinkyPampers
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Make woodflour?

Post by StinkyPampers »

What grit should i have on the belt grinder to make my own woodfour?

designlady
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Make woodflour?

Post by designlady »

Don't know what grit to use to make your own but it is probably not worth the time. You can buy it on this site pretty cheap. You will take alot of time and chew up alot of wood to get the same 5lbs you can buy for $17.00. I know some of the guys do it but not worth the time. IMO.

Willie

wej
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by wej »

Hey Stinky! 220 grit on my ocilating spindle sander makes pretty good flour but I only harvest it as a bi-product, haven't set in to make flour, good luck!

Wej

StinkyPampers
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by StinkyPampers »

Reason im asking is that i cant find it for sale in norway, closest ive found is west systems 403, but the 403 is hard to sand.
So ill try and make some wood flour my self, se how much i can make in 1 hour

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Most commercial and high end home woodworking / cabinet making shops have built in vacuum systems with separators which will yield good wood flour. Might go talk to any shops which may be close to you to see if they have it. Just a thought.
Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

in order to suspend in the epoxy (so it stays put and does not sag) it needs to be extremely fine.

I would not use a fillet unless I knew what wood was in it. A cabinet or wood shop may have a lot of other stuff in their dust collector, any waxes in that dust could spell trouble.

StinkyPampers
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by StinkyPampers »

What shine sayd, is the reason im looking in to making my own woodflour.
I imagine its gona take some effort to make it but im willing to try it out, the finest belt i have at the moment is grit 150 but i know ive seen higher grit.

Gona start a thread soon with my build just need to figure out how post pictures with my iphone :)

wej
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by wej »

I do not think wood flour sands very easily either, not after you have used micro balloons anyway.

Flat Fish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Flat Fish »

StinkyPampers wrote:Reason im asking is that i cant find it for sale in norway, closest ive found is west systems 403, but the 403 is hard to sand.
Wood Flour and epoxy are not easy to sand. For that you should use blended filler.

Love Norway! I've been 8 times to Skien and Oslo. Can't wait to see photos of the build...
CC, D15 - In Progress

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

for fairing: even if the wood flour were free, the extra money you will spend in sand paper will be more than buying the right filler (not to mention the time in sanding). Look for micro balloons, micro spheres, glass bubbles. You should be able to find those.