Chenoa 16 build - Splashed

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Chenoa 16 build - Finished

Post by dbcrx »

jacquesmm wrote:What's that little inboard in the background?
It looks like an old Yanmar or Petter.

I would build a boat around that engine!
Not sure. That belongs to a guy that retired over a year ago, yet still takes up a big corner of our workshop with his tools and toys! :roll: He has 2 boats he's refitting here, but I think that engine was just something he picked up to rebuild and sell on.

I have an old mercury 650 sitting outside waiting for a boat. I'd love to build something for that, but I struggled to fund the canoe let alone anything bigger! :cry:
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Chenoa 16 build - Finished

Post by dbcrx »

As promised, today the canoe got wet. And here's the proof.

The canoe was great. It took the weight of all 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids) very easily. We didn't stay out long because the kids were a little nervy about the stability, which is nothing against the canoe - I think it was much more stable than the one we rented a while ago. It took us ages to get used to that one. Plus my wife could only paddle for 5 minutes at a time before needing a rest! :roll: On top of that we were going out straight into the wind. It took us about 25 minutes to get from the slip to the edge of the harbour area (0.6km) and only about 5 minutes to get back in. When we were both paddling together though we were moving quite easily - the canoe does seem to glide really nicely through the water.

In all the excitement I forgot to get the final weight of the canoe so will try to do that in the next few days and update here.

Any enough blabber, here's the pics. The area doesn't look that picturesque here, but we only have to go about 5km up river to get into the pretty countryside or 2km down river to our favourite beach inside the breakwater.

Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Chenoa 16 build - Splashed

Post by gstanfield »

Congrats on the splash :!: If you think it goes along good now you should get (or build) a pair of proper canoe paddles and then you'll really be amazed at the performance :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Nice work :) You raised the bar of excellence in canoe building several notches. Awesome job!!!

edit for spelling, I hate I-pad auto correct :)
Last edited by Aripeka Angler on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

That looks great :!: I might have to build one of those 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Seadation
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Seadation »

Hello dbcrx,

VERY nice canoe. You should be very proud of that boat!

/david

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

I took the canoe out on my own this morning and had a lovely trip down the river. Using a different paddle that was a bit shorter and had a wider blade made a big difference so will definitely be making some new ones soon. Here's some of the scenery I got to enjoy today:

My trip - about 3km each way, took me just under an hour each way.

Our favourite beach

Portimao marina south basin

Portimao marina north basin

My ugly mug! 8)

And this one's specially for George :lol:

Also remembere to weigh it today. It finshed up at 36kg, so a bit heavier than the plans but it is glassed in and out with 450gsm biax plus has the extra b/heads, so it's pretty solid!
Last edited by dbcrx on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Beautiful 8) I love looking at pics of different places that I've never been. Is that a new castle on top of an old one? Nice digs! Great looking canoe and family. I see more boat builds in your future :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

Cracker Larry wrote:Beautiful 8) I love looking at pics of different places that I've never been. Is that a new castle on top of an old one? Nice digs! Great looking canoe and family. I see more boat builds in your future :D
Yep, it's days like this that makes me remember why we moved here. :D

The castle/fortress was rebuilt and turned into apartments. I never saw it before but from what I hear it took quite a lot of work!
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket