Newbie Questions (OB19)

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
rgmcgi
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Newbie Questions (OB19)

Post by rgmcgi »

I promise I have searched the threads and read the tutorials before posting this very basic set of questions. Thanks in advance for you patience... I just want to make sure I get this step right before purchasing paints and trying to apply them...

First set of questions relates to graphite. I have heard two applications discussed for graphite / epoxy mix. One is to create a harder layer than epoxy without graphite. It sounds like people recommend doing 3 to 4 coats. And, the second reason I have heard, is in order to create less surface friction on the hull - both in the water as well as when beaching.

Q1: Should graphite be used in most applications discussed on this board? What would be the reason not to have several coats of epoxy/graphite?

It seems like the idea of a harder coating and less drag is a good thing in most boats....

Also, I believe I have read some people say that they
(A) Do epoxy/graphite on top of a primer coat
(B) Do epoxy/graphite under a primer coat
(C) Do epoxy/graphite as the only coat on the outside of their hull.

Q2: Are all options for the sequencing of primer and epoxy/graphite correct? What are the pros and cons of each?

Finally, as it pertains to Sterling. I am a bit unclear on the pros / cons of using the High Build Epoxy Primer versus using the Polyurethane primer.

Q3: Does one need to use either the High Build Primer -OR- the Polyurethane Primer? If so, what are best applications for each. Or... am I really missing the boat and are they used in concert together on a boat?

Thanks for your input and help!
Track my adventure with my OB19 wooden boat plans here.

rgmcgi
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Newbie Questions (OB19)

Post by rgmcgi »

hi All.... any ideas on questions above? Thanks in advance! Rich
Track my adventure with my OB19 wooden boat plans here.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Q1. Yes, if you want the toughest bottom coating possible, no reason not to unless you don't like black. If not, see question 2 :D

Q2. All 3 are valid methods. If you don't like black, you can prime and paint over the graphite. It will probably get ugly looking over time though.

Q3. I just use the S3 high build primer under Sterling, with very good results. Haven't tried any others.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

rgmcgi
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rgmcgi »

Thanks Cracker Larry! Rich

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

agree 100% with above, I will only add to this question...
Q3: Does one need to use either the High Build Primer -OR- the Polyurethane Primer? If so, what are best applications for each. Or... am I really missing the boat and are they used in concert together on a boat?
If you using sterling paint, the finish primer goes on very smooth and is the best way to get a yacht quality finish. That being said, you can get to a very high level of finish and gloss by using only the highbuild.

AlphonseSa86

antennadeals.com

Post by AlphonseSa86 »

Who knew? That was a great read.