AtTheBrink's FS-18 Splashed!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

AtTheBrink's FS-18 Splashed!

Post by AtTheBrink »

I have finally received my plans and have been studying them. I hope to be able to order plywood and epoxy soon. To give y'all an idea of what I am planning here, this boat will be a rounded chine, flush deck, extended front and rear decks, Center console/remote steer boat. I am going to bring the shear down a couple inches, tapering toward the bow. I have seen a couple that were cut down and looked horrible! To thick at the stern. I hope I can keep the nice lines of the original design and still make it mine. I am thinking about built-in tackle storage and built-in cooler/livewell. I have a motor I can use on this but it is a little outside the specs... It's aan old 40hp evinrude. It is only a few pounds heavier than a new 25 horse. We will see about that when we get there. I have a long way to go before I am ready for a motor. What do you guys think? Interested to hear all.
Last edited by AtTheBrink on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AtTheBrink's FS-18

Post by thb »

Hello,
From looking at other folks here that are building the FS-18, I personally think the rounded chine is a royal PITA. Looking at pictures of all those cuts and trying to get them glued up front is way over the top in benefit for effort. Make it simple if it is your first build and forget the rounded chine IMHO.
Otherwise have fun with your build and look forward to seeing how it goes with a 40 hp. A bit over the top in HP but it won't cost you anything to try it.
Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

I will take all that into consideration, I appreciate your opinion and input. As for the motor, it is a 1989 40hp Johnson. The listed weight is 191lbs. I think the ETEC 30hp is around 180lbs with tilt and trim. I know that weight is critical with this boat, but so is money and I can always change the motor at a later date. The motor I have is manual tilt which sucks but with a jack plate I tho.k I can manage. I did see one company that makes a unit that is both a jackplate and T&T, that might be an option.

One question about the motor. New motors HP is measured at the prop shaft. With this being a 89 model, is the HP measured at the prop? Or at the flywheel?

And about the boat. Should I add glass to the bottom of the boat? To reinforce it for the bigger motor?

h
Mike

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

89 is propshaft, 84 or so is the cut-off from powerhead HP.

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Congrats Mike!

What part of the Texas coast are you on?

re: the 40 hp - I think one of the first FS18's that hit the water ran a classic Merc 4-cylinder 50hp. 8O So you won't me setting any records there, sorry... :lol: Is your motor the big 2 cylinder (40-50-60 block) or the small 3-cylinder (20-30-40)?
Fishing from a paddle boat...

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

AtTheBrink wrote: I did see one company that makes a unit that is both a jackplate and T&T, that might be an option.
Maybe you can make that yourself with a couple of Actuators? :doh:

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Just my personal opinion here, but taking an already heave outboard and moving it further from the transom with a jackplate and adding the weight of a power jackplate with tilt and you're compounding a situation that's already less than ideal.

I could be wrong of course, but that's my opinion based on my personal perception of what a shallow draft flats boat would need.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

[quote="Jerry-rigged"]Congrats Mike!

What part of the Texas coast are you on?

re: the 40 hp - I think one of the first FS18's that hit the water ran a classic Merc 4-cylinder 50hp. 8O So you won't me setting any records there, sorry... :lol: Is your motor the big 2 cylinder (40-50-60 block) or the small 3-cylinder (20-30-40)?[/quote

It's a 2 cylinder. Very low hours too. I think it is a solid motor. I am just north of Corpus Christi.
Mike

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I could be wrong of course,
I don't think so. It's a mighty small 18' boat, more like a big canoe than a small flats boat. It's not going to like a lot of weight on the transom.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Cracker Larry wrote:
I could be wrong of course,
I don't think so. It's a mighty small 18' boat, more like a big canoe than a small flats boat. It's not going to like a lot of weight on the transom.
The ideal outboard is between 10 and 15 HP. Per USCG calculations. max. HP can be 25 HP but the designer finds this excessive. Don;t think in terms of an 18' boat, think of a 250 lbs 4-1/2' wide boat!