Sole materials

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
wildbill
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Sole materials

Post by wildbill »

Shine; I am rebuilding my 1973 20 SeaCraft CC. I have replaced the transom and reattached the box stringers to the transom. I have mocked-up a 3/4" marine ply sub sole over the the lenghth & width of the box stringers. From the aft the sub sole is 48" wide from the outside to outside of both box stringers going forward to the rear of the console where I will stand and behind where the new fuel tank will be. going forward of that just the width of the box stringers will be covered up to the front of the fuel tank then back to box stringer to box stringer, creating a fuel tank compartment. Now the 1st question, I want to use plywood for the sole and want to know about using the 1/2" Baltic Birch (when in stock) I need 4 sheets and it will save a few bucks verses the Meranti or Okume (the new sole will be epoxied to the sub sole). What do you think?
2cd question What woven glass should I use and how many layers ? I am thinking about the 10 oz for the top of the sole and using the "3.5 oz for my routered lips or edges on my openings for the hatches to the compartments that I will also router out of the sub sole and overlay with the new sole. I will of course fillet all corners, edges and tape. I have been using marine epoxy on everything and am planning on glassing the top side of the sole and epoxy coating the bottom side. Any exposed areas underneath will be glassed such as the bilge area and compartments. Then I will use the Kiwi Grip on the sole. If you have any tips after this last build of yours it would be greatly appreciated, I will be using simular teqniques attaching the sole as you did to the sides of the hull. I have cut out and epoxy coated both sides of the sub sole but the epoxy was wet tonight and I could not lay out the mocked up sub sole for a picture. I will send the mock up pic with your response.

Thanks' Wildbill

wildbill
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Sole materials

Post by wildbill »

anybody have any comment's on sole materials ?

wildbill

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

You're planning on a 3/4" sub-sole plus a 1/2" sole :?: Why :?: :doh:

wildbill
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wildbill »

I will be cutting the access holes one size in the sub sole and the access hole in the sole an 1 1/2" wider so the hatches sit flush over the hole and rest on the sub sole. The sub sole in the rear section of the boat is only 48" wide and 64" long, it probably will weigh maybe an extra 30 lbs or so, it's just extra strength for my above deck livewell and me. The extra 3/4" sub sole will also raise the height of the sole making it easier to self bail with the scuppers draining out the transom. The holes in the sole and sub sole will be routered with a round over bit as the hatches.

Auger01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Auger01 »

The cost difference between the Birtch ply and the Meranti is 20 bucks a sheet. Four sheets will save you 80 bucks. That is not enough cost diffence IMO to go with the inferior product. IF I was trying to save money I would get some ply from the home center and put some 10oz woven on the top AND bottom. Two layers is better than one on the top. The 3.5 ounce will work for the edges, but the 10oz woven will handle an edge rounded over with a 3/8" radius router bit just fine and it will also be faster and look better. Post some pictures and maybe (or not) the experts will give thier .02.

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

If you are considering cost to a budget then you might think of Fir Marine ply. It would hold up muchbetter than the baltic ply and it is marine grade. I built my Phantom 16 out of fir and had no problems. At the time of my build Meranti was not an option. This is going back to 1993 when I built Sport'N A woody. :doh: Just food for thought.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

wildbill wrote: Now the 1st question, I want to use plywood for the sole and want to know about using the 1/2" Baltic Birch (when in stock) I need 4 sheets and it will save a few bucks verses the Meranti or Okume (the new sole will be epoxied to the sub sole). What do you think?
I will take of the baltic birch off the site, we only stocked it when we could not get meranti. Meranti 12mm in 6566 will work well for you the sole (its what I used on mine)
wildbill wrote: 2cd question What woven glass should I use and how many layers ? I am thinking about the 10 oz for the top of the sole and using the "3.5 oz for my routered lips or edges on my openings for the hatches to the compartments that I will also router out of the sub sole and overlay with the new sole. I will of course fillet all corners, edges and tape. I have been using marine epoxy on everything and am planning on glassing the top side of the sole and epoxy coating the bottom side. Any exposed areas underneath will be glassed such as the bilge area and compartments. Then I will use the Kiwi Grip on the sole. If you have any tips after this last build of yours it would be greatly appreciated, I will be using simular teqniques attaching the sole as you did to the sides of the hull. I have cut out and epoxy coated both sides of the sub sole but the epoxy was wet tonight and I could not lay out the mocked up sub sole for a picture. I will send the mock up pic with your response.
Thanks' Wildbill
10 oz is good for the sole. Im not sure how you plan to make hatches, but you should try to get some glass on any exposed end grain. I would use 4 or 6 oz cloth for that, the 3.25 oz can be a little tricky to work quoth since its so tightly woven.

Im not understanding what your doing with a "sub sole" could you please post a picture

wildbill
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wildbill »

I don't seem to be able to pull off uploading pictures to my post's. Can anyone walk me through it or is there a spot on the site to explain it? I have however been able to cut and paste the images but it has been over riding my posted remarks.

nocomputergurubill

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Hi Bill,

here is a link to one of our FAQ's, it describes how to post a picture...

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13991

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

And if that not helps here's a short video I made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scBeYCe88V0&feature=plcp