COLOR COMBINATIONS

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

COLOR COMBINATIONS

Post by Prarie Dog »

Had a couple of quick questions. Does anyone have an opinion on how a boat would look with the Emerald Green on the sides and the console and the Lemon Mist on the topsides?--Off White Hatches?? We're thinking of painting T's GF12 in these colors but are having second thoughts about the combo. He wanted to use the Mopar color--"Sublime Green" but it's only available in an automotive finish.

Secondly, would a quart of the Green and a quart of the Lemon Mist cover it?

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: COLOR COMBINATIONS

Post by Cracker Larry »

Secondly, would a quart of the Green and a quart of the Lemon Mist cover it?
Yes, for sure. Don't know about the colors :doh:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

No Kiwi Grip on topside??

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Uncle D, I like the kiwi grip on my GF but it is a little rough on the knees when you put it on the gunwale and it's so muddy on East Matagorda that the deck is kind of stained looking because it won't all wash out. I really liked the way hOOter did his deck on the FS18, he added the no skid to the Sterling, it's a much less agressive system and looks nice, I think it'd be easier to clean.

Having said all that, I LIKE KIWI, it's easy to use, wears well, you ain't going to slip on it. If I was refurbishing an old boat and wanted quick and easy I'd use Kiwi in a heartbeat.

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Got ya, Know all about the Matagorda mud. :wink:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Lemon Mist? It almost sounds closer to a candy type yellow than an organic yellow, difference being in the ability to *cover* the substrate. Has anyone used the Lemon Mist? Or the Emerald Green? Are these Sterling colors? :)

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

ks8 wrote:Lemon Mist? It almost sounds closer to a candy type yellow than an organic yellow, difference being in the ability to *cover* the substrate. Has anyone used the Lemon Mist? Or the Emerald Green? Are these Sterling colors? :)
KS8, if you'll check your pm's you'll see one from me. I know that you're an experienced paint guy so I sent you a pdf color chart from Sterling that has both colors on it. I think the Lemon Mist will cover the yacht primer in a couple of coats, although I'd really value your opinion on it.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

PD,

I don't think PMs have been active in awhile. You can send me an email with the envelope icon (I didn't receive one as of this posting). I don't know that I can add anything helpful except to say that someone's experience is going to be the next best info to hearing from their tech guys at Sterling. They might recommend a light gray primer for one color or the other, instead of white, depending on the final look you are going after. I used to do color matching for leather and vinyl and plastic finishes, base/prints, etc, many moons ago. Candy colors do not cover but are very translucent, purposely. Found that out as a young teenager when I painted a QuarterMidget candy red without a base covering primer (didn't know!). :lol:

That *mist* is messing with my head in picturing how it might cover or not. Give Sterling a call, and re-ask here the question if anyone here has actually used either of those Sterling colors. :)

And then, of course, whatever you do..... pictures! Looking forward to her clothed and right presentable proper-like, as befits the humble lady. 8)