Page 1 of 1

C17 Center Console

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:21 am
by Rmarsh
Almost ready for painting

Re: C17 Center Console

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:33 am
by cottontop
Great looking boat. How long have you been working on her. We all like to see pictures and hear comments, etc. Please keep us posted. John

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:40 am
by tech_support
Agree, very nice ! Please post more pictures :!: :D

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:33 pm
by Rmarsh
Thanks guys. I have other older pictures in the gallery under my username Rmarsh and will update this thread as things progress.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:58 pm
by gstanfield

Here's a couple. She's looking good pard, keep it up!

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:04 pm
by Rmarsh
Console picture

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:07 pm
by Rmarsh
another

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:45 am
by Rmarsh
Just wanted to add few comments to the above pictures. The cnc kit for this boat included plywood parts for the cuddy version.
I was able to use all of those precut parts, with a little altering, to build the console.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:55 am
by gstanfield
Sweet, I like how you're using the pre-cut parts to fit your needs :D

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:59 am
by Rmarsh
Thanks! I am finished with fairing and sanding. Also have two coats of primer on almost everything.
Going to put on the first coat of finish soon. Then on to the good part...rigging the steering, controls, fuel system, and electrical.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:09 am
by Rmarsh
Progress pictures. Console installed. Steering, shift, and throttle cables installed through chases to motorwell. Two coats of Interlux Perfection on interior.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:54 am
by cottontop
She sure looks nice. I love your console. John

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:31 am
by danieloldhouse
Nice work! Where have You put the fuel tank?
Daniele

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:38 am
by topwater
The boat looks real nice with paint on it .... Awesome :!:
What kind of wood did you use for the coaming around the cockpit :?:

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:05 am
by jacquesmm
Yes the boat looks good but the coaming is especially nice. What wood did you use or is it stain?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:38 am
by Rmarsh
Thanks all. The wood is "Ipe" sold locally as an exterior decking. No stain, just epoxy now and a uv inhibitor later.
The gas tank is located under the seat in the front of the console. The fuel fill and vent are on the side of the console and is recessed.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:10 pm
by danieloldhouse
Thanks for the reply, keep up the good work!

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:37 pm
by Steven
Very nice work. Love the wood. The plastic tanks give off a lot of fumes. You might want some air vents higher up on the console also.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:41 am
by Rmarsh
Thanks Steven. I am planning on a cover over the tank at the seat top level, just above the side vent holes, to seal it off from the rest of the console. I will post pictures of it. But a vent in the upper part, just in case, is a good idea.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:16 pm
by Jerry-rigged
Nice work, Love the boat!

Years ago, I was Hot to Go to build a C17 as a CC, but I never got the project off the ground. Glad to see someone is finally build one. It looks great! Any plans on power yet?

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:35 pm
by peter-curacao
Steven wrote:Very nice work. Love the wood. The plastic tanks give off a lot of fumes. You might want some air vents higher up on the console also.
Rmarsh wrote:Thanks Steven. I am planning on a cover over the tank at the seat top level, just above the side vent holes, to seal it off from the rest of the console. I will post pictures of it. But a vent in the upper part, just in case, is a good idea.
Boat looks great, about the vents, I was told gas fumes go to the lowest point so if that's true you should have lower vents not higher, I think :doh:

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:05 am
by Prarie Dog
Steven wrote:Very nice work. Love the wood. The plastic tanks give off a lot of fumes. You might want some air vents higher up on the console also.
Rmarsh, that's a very nice looking console. I'm constantly amazed at the how creative we get with consoles.

Steven, don't get where "a lot of fumes" comes from. I know you've had trouble with expansion with the plastic tank on your boat but I'm very familiar with 4 boats with Moeller plastic tanks on them and have seen no problems with odor or any issues regarding that with them. They are more permeable than an aluminum tank but the amount of permeability is negligible and a guy should never smell it. If you are, you gotta have a leak.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:28 am
by Steven
No leak. Fumes with a plastic tank is normal. That is why vents to compartment are required unlike for aluminum tanks. maybe fumes is strongly worded. Definitely a gas smell.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:36 am
by tobolamr
Every small water production boat I have been in has some sort of fuel fumes when you are near the vents or the tank. When I open my back hatch on my ProCraft, it smells of fuel, and there is not a leak. :doh: I always thought that a little fuel smell was "normal" in any vehicle by the fuel tank. :doh:

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:40 am
by Cracker Larry
Mine always has a slight fuel smell in the tank area also, it's a plastic tank. It doesn't take much gasoline to smell it.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:57 am
by Prarie Dog
Cracker Larry wrote:Mine always has a slight fuel smell in the tank area also, it's a plastic tank. It doesn't take much gasoline to smell it.
tobolamr wrote:Every small water production boat I have been in has some sort of fuel fumes when you are near the vents or the tank. When I open my back hatch on my ProCraft, it smells of fuel, and there is not a leak. :doh: I always thought that a little fuel smell was "normal" in any vehicle by the fuel tank. :doh:

This is precisely the point, all fuel tanks at some juncture have some permeability. The connection at the filler hose, fuel line, vent hose, with plastic, some gets through the tank walls. A small amount of odor is normal anywhere near gasoline. It isn't a "lot" and it isn't a problem with plastic marine tanks.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:20 pm
by Steven
Prarie Dog wrote:A small amount of odor is normal anywhere near gasoline. It isn't a "lot" and it isn't a problem with plastic marine tanks.

Didn't say it was a problem with plastic marine tanks. But it is a fact that they are permeable and do off gas as a result. Precautions are necessary which is the reason for the regs regarding venting. It's a simple matter to protect against with a simple vent.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:31 pm
by Rmarsh
Gas tank cover is installed, essentially preventing fumes from reaching the upper part of the console.
Got a switch/fuse panel installed as well as positive and negative busbars.
Ran some wires from the bow light to the switch. I am going to attach the stern light to the same switch terminal.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:15 am
by Rmarsh
Jerry-rigged wrote:Nice work, Love the boat!

Years ago, I was Hot to Go to build a C17 as a CC, but I never got the project off the ground. Glad to see someone is finally build one. It looks great! Any plans on power yet?
Jerry: Thanks!
I'm not positive, but I think it is the first C17 center console, haven't seen any others here.
I have a Yamaha 60 HP 4 stroke for powering her.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:31 am
by Rmarsh
Console wiring is almost done, Gauges, Bilge pump, battery installed. Fuel system, steering and controls all rigged.
I would like to get all of the deck and hatch hardware next and install it, then remove it before I paint the final coats.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:51 am
by tech_support
nice console :!: And the rigging job looks great too 8)

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:04 pm
by Hope2float
Nice job on the rigging. Trying to get some ideas for my own, although it is pretty easy to just take a ride to Lane's and look. Nice job on the boat.
Dave

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:46 am
by Rmarsh
Console door with storage on back

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:05 am
by topwater
Great idea for storage on the back of the door 8)

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:18 am
by Rmarsh
Ready for non-skid paint on floor and casting deck and final coats on gunnels.

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:31 pm
by danieloldhouse
It looks great! :D

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:06 pm
by Kevin.G
Wow looks awesome!! Starting my OC 17 build soon and hope it looks as beautiful as yours, What you going call her?

Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:05 am
by Rmarsh
Kevin.G wrote:Wow looks awesome!! Starting my OC 17 build soon and hope it looks as beautiful as yours, What you going call her?
Thanks Kevin. Looking foward to following your build.
Still undecided on the boat name. My wife of 35 years says I should name it "The Other Woman"
but Donna Marie, or Lady "D" as she is called by her co-workers might be a better choice.

Got the boat onto the trailer this weekend, and the outboard onto the transom.