Looking for suggestions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
AMC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Looking for suggestions

Post by AMC »

Currently building a cheap canoe as practice. But I am looking to build a boat to replace my current boat that has grown too small for my needs. I am hoping your suggestions and experience can help me chose the right one, the FIRST time.

Requirements:
I have a wife and 3 kids, and would like to take them all out.
I go fishing mainly, in local lakes, some are large enough to get rough at times. There have been days where I had to head in from the main lake in my 15' aluminum v-hull (MirroCraft 15, much like their current troller 1416)
Mostly fishing, but the kids do like being pulled around on the tube in the summer.
And like all bass fishermen, I take what seems like roughly 300lbs of lures and rods with me. (How did I go from trout fishing with everything I need in a fanny pack, to this?)

Limitations
I want it to fit in my garage where the other boat is now, I figure that by adding a swingaway tongue, I can go up to a 17.

My ideas...
#1 TX-17, but it doesn't exist. I like the width and the chop handling ability.
OB17 and Garvey 17 also come up as OK, the Garvey is just... well... sort of ugly.

I welcome and look forward to you ideas and comments.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Looking for suggestions

Post by tech_support »

FS17, OB17, OB15, PH16.

For towing a tube the OB will take turns the best. The flats boats (PHantoms) have nice big casting decks for fishing. I would be looking at OB15/17

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nc_robbie »

I would have to agree with shine I built a ph18, modified it heavily and it works great for the lakes here, riding, fishing etc. However, for a tubing and skiing its probably not the best choice, the backend of my ph18 tends to pull in the direction of the skier if the skier cuts hard to one side and the boat does not throw much of a wake to jump. Some of the guys here have build some nice ob’s I bet you could adapt one of them to your needs…..good luck with your search Rob

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

I would think the OB17 or C17 would be the best for skiing, because they have more substance/weight to them. Then again all of the above would work well it just depends on your tastes. If you want a center console also remember the C17 can be modified. See this thread that just showed up.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29770

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one