Sarasota OD18

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
SRQ Dave
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Sarasota OD18

Post by SRQ Dave »

Greetings Guys,

A few days in to my new project, OD18, here in Sarasota, FL. Got the CNC kit, so far so good. Put the bottom together, Laminated the stringers, built a rolling platform, and joined the chine panels. Going to have lots of questions going forward.
Last edited by SRQ Dave on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

SRQ Dave
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Sarasota OD18

Post by SRQ Dave »

First question:

Joining the side panels.... Butt blocks or fiberglass splice? Did the chine panels with butt blocks, but wondering if that's the best way to go, especially considering the upper hull panel, since it sits atop the mid panel? If splice is the way to go, i'd like some advice on how to do it best, in order to minimize fairing in the end game.

Thanks,

Dave

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Fiberglass splice for sure. You just need one strip of 6" wide 12 ounce biax tape on each side of the joint. I also add a little thickened epoxy in the joint where the panels meet. Some people use a router, power plane or belt sander to relieve the panels a little bit, to allow for the thickness of the tape and make fairing easier. I've never done that myself.

Welcome to the OD18 club :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

SRQ Dave
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SRQ Dave »

Thanks Larry,

Will do the splice on the remaining panels.

Dave

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Edit: I tried to post your pictures for you, but they were incomplete addresses to your pictures.

The OD18 is an amazing boat. I can attest for it since we were out over 30 miles offshore in one 8)

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

wegcagle wrote:Edit: I tried to post your pictures for you, but they were incomplete addresses to your pictures.

Will
It were links to his own computer :wink:

SRQ Dave
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SRQ Dave »

Yeah thanks pc... new to the forum thing. Any advice on the easiest way to display pictures?

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Pics have to be hosted online prior to putting them in a thread. The easiest way to do that is to upload them to your user gallery on this site or to create a free photobucket account. They need to be sized at no larger than 640x480 for best results.

Also, if you would like I can post them up for you until you get the hang of it. Send them to my email address (Click the little letter shaped icon under my name to send me an e-mail) I'll respond and then you wil have my e-mail adrees. I don't post it on forums and neither should you :wink:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Here's a small movie I made some time ago about placing pics in this forum, the gallery setup did change a bit in the meantime but the principle is the same, success, hope it helps 8) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scBeYCe88V0&feature=plcp

SRQ Dave
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SRQ Dave »

Thanks for the replies. Building has been going well this week(until I had to go to work that is). Chine panels are built, and I've dry tied them in. Fitting together pretty well so far. There are a few issues with the chine that I wish were better. The general curve and shape looks good, but on two of the middle frames it's not meeting up flush with the frame. To force it to join the frames would cause bad things in the hull shape.