WouldWork's V12, Sailing version

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: WouldWork's V12, Sailing version

Post by wegcagle »

Sorry to hear about that. It just sucks that someone else screwed up and you're left holding the bill. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. On my boat the cost of plywood was nothing compared to fiberglass and parts. Hopefully things will turn around and you can jump back in with both feet.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Thank you gents, I appreciate your encouragement. I can use the frames and transom as templates as they're very accurate and just straight lines. I won't do the same with the side panels as slight inaccuracies with scribing the curve and then moreso with cutting I think I'd be more comfortable re-measuring those.

Speaking to the cabinet maker's supplier today to try get a few free sheets and perhaps by this coming weekend I can be back at it. We'll see. It would be a shame to ditch the project, just didn't want to stretch the budget too far.

Cameron.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Gentlemen your 'well-wishes' have proven fruitful. My supplier has given me 6 new pieces of marine ply at no charge. Build is back on!!

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Yes! :)

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That's as it should be 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Awesome news :!:

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

Glad to hear that the supplier came through for you.

The V12 was my first build and my favorite of the small boats. It will be nice to watch another V12 come to life.

Thinking about your comment on bottom panels and I don't remember anything about putting the sides and frames together then measuring for the bottom panels. I measured and cut all the hull panels before stitching. And if I may make a recommendation, get that bow pulled tight on the bottom panels before stitching the bottom panels to the side panels in the forward section. There is a mean twist in those bottom panels at the bow; and I think that stitching the bottom panels to the side panels up toward the bow before bringing those bottom panels together made it more difficult. Of course,it was my first build and I may have simply done something else wrong.
Shaun
(B.O.B. = Builder Of Boats)

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Thanks for the tip. I will do exactly as you advised. I would have done it the other way, but your recommendation makes perfect sense. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm 'caught up' to where I was 2 weeks ago. The new ply turned up and I've finally had a chance to get measuring. This set back has turned out to be a blessing as I've measured and cut much better this time. I know some gaps are our friend, but with the troubles I've read about getting the bow lined up and stitched nicely I think it's a good idea to have the panels pretty accurate.

The build is also being slowed by my 35 weeks pregnant wife! Very exciting times for me!! I'd like to have the boat mostly assembled before the birth, but with kids, wife and work it may drag out a while.

Anyway, I'll post some pics of the new frames and panels coming together soon.

Cheers

Cameron.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Good afternoon gentlemen,

My V12 is starting to look like a boat.

Shaun, I used your advice, at least partially. I used extra long cable ties and left a few inches slack in each. It allowed me to get it all in place and as I worked forward from the transom I could really see which areas needed tightening first and what would pull what where. I did need to stitch the chine near the bow in a couple of places before I could get the bottom panels to come in. It really wasn't that hard, just time consuming. I think patients was the key, and I had an offsider to help.

As you can see, I still have some gaps and will tease the bottom panels in a tiny little bit further before applying the seams. I'm thinking my gaps aren't too bad? Seams will seal them up?

Anyway, having the rest of the day off, Glass work should start tomorrow night.

Cameron.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

The stitching looks great. No problem with those gaps.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose