Benny & Brent xf20 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Benny & Brent xf20 build

Post by Fuzz »

I do not know how much was lost removing the splashwell but I do know running the knees up higher will go a long ways to firm things up. Tall, thick and tied into the stringers will be a huge help.

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

This is the planned change for the knee reinforcement. One piece of 3/8 (glassed/tabbed in) should be sufficient.Image
Attachments
20220522_115126.jpg

cape man

Post by cape man »

What are you putting on the back? If you already posted that sorry...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

90 Suzi (that was on it before) with 5 1/2 setback jack plate

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

Back at it again. Slowly got all of the old cleats cleaned up and the white wood out (I refuse to use white wood in any build from now on). It failed on the gunnels but was intact as new under the sole. As an experiment on the 2" nidacore edges I used some foam to fill the the edges. It expanded way more than was needed to fill the nidacore edge so I cut/trimmed it with a kitchen bread knife, epoxied a short section and put some 17 oz on it and it looks like it would work great for sealing the edges. The foam adheres good. Anyone see any problem with this? (better than filling with epoxy, I think)

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

Took "Fuzz" advice and added another 3/8th piece to those knees. Another issue I'm looking at, if anyone cares to comment" is the drainage for the flat bottom on the XF20. I've been reading the pros and cons of foam vs limber holes on previous posts and think that limber holes are the best way to go because of the huge compartments, that would require so much foam, but they do not drain completely, even when tilted. The solution I'm thinking about is to put some foam in the compartments in a diagonal shape with sloped surface to direct any water to the limber holes when the boat is tilted. That will allow drainage if any water does get in the compartments under the sole.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Benny did you do the 2 or 4 stringer version if the 4 stringer Just foam the compartments created by the new stringer. This will give you good flotation. Now for limber holes in the other 3 lines of compartments, you will need to have one on each side of the compartments so the wave action and parking on a slight slant will allow any water that may have gotten in will travel to the port or starboard hole and back to the pump to be pumped out. Since the XF20 is flat bottomed you will need a pump in each compartment.

If you only did the 2 stringers and no floor/deck then just foam the areas your not going to use as storage.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I actually built this boat and still use it so I kind of know how it’s put together. The bulkheads between the front, center and aft seats need limber slots above the hull bottom. With two stringers, the stringer spacing is 20” which puts both stringers laminated to the sides of the tunnel. You need limber holes in the stringers forward of tunnel to direct water to the port and starboard sides of the tunnel. You need one bilge pump for each side of the tunnel. My boat has .4 stringers, all have limber holes/slots to drain the water aft. Every one of these boats I have actually seen, sit slightly stern heavy with a 70-100 hp motor. Water is going to naturally drain aft. I didn’t foam anything, since I use it in 6 inches to 4 foot of water. I figure I’ll just ground it if it looks sketchy.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Just remembered you built this boat without the tunnel. I still like the limber holes. You just need to seal them very well.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146