Benny & Brent xf20 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Benny & Brent xf20 build

Post by Benny Howard »

Progress has slowed with the Christmas honey dos hanging over my head but I have got a little more done on the inside of the baitwell and am a little over halfway on the cleat installation. Had to have a little help from my friends on the forum for those, will post pictures soon and beging to install the sole.

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

Now into the 6th month on the xf20. I have been steadily putting in 25+ hours a week on it. We easily have over 400hrs in now, but it's what I expected on our first build. Sole is glassed in and front and rear decks are cut and fitted. I have spent a lot of time online too, researching electrical layouts and wiring, led lights, hatch construction and hardware. My work is getting cleaner but I still have a long way to go to match some of the work I've seen on the website. Found out It pays to be neat as possible (saves a lot of time late in the construction).

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

Benny, You are doing great. Press on.

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

Past time to update again. I am pleased with the sole, front deck and anchor box (although I ran out of wood and had to make do with shorter side pieces than I wanted). The rear deck turned out to be a challenge because I didn't lay out the framing right. I think I didn't grasp the concept right away for framing but it is ready to go on now, once the livewell is finished. We elected not to fair under decks. Been thinking of an easy way to lay out the gunnels and I thought I had seen on the forum where someone had an easy method, but can't find it now, so I just pulled a string along the side from point to point and layed a straight edge across the shear and marked/measured 3in. increments, then transferred that to my stock for cutting. I could not stand it, had to fit the rubrail to make sure it would make the bow turn (like CL said it would).
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 131644.jpg

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

We decided to complete as much inside as possible before flipping because we didn't want to invest in the paint yet. I think I could have went ahead and flipped earlier (would have been easier), then just glassed and put on the graphite/epoxy, then painted the rest of the outside with it upright. I believe I can just reverse the flipping process once the bottom is done.

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

Not sure where to start here, so I'll use my original builder thread since the site has changed and I haven't been active for several years. We are about to redo the inside of our XF20.... casting decks, floor, console etc.
My plan is to get rid of whitewood in the build and use Nidacore(anywhere possible) for the floor , casting decks and gunnels. The boat design has proved to be awesome for fishability and handling. The original build
is heavier than intended so I plan to open up the cockpit space as much as possible, make the console and casting deck space smaller. I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions about the Nidacore and how best to use
it. Anyone with experience or opinions please chime in.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really nice to have you back!!! We look forward to your upgrades!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Hey Benny,
I have used nidacore for decks and a hardtop on one of my boats. I really like it. Dealing with edges is the biggest problem but for decks that is no issue. It is easy to crown if wanted by glassing one side, bending, and then glassing the other side.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

Epoxy a strip of divinycell to the nidacore (carbon core) edge & finish it as you would wood.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

For the Carbon Core (Nidacore), a good friend of mine who uses it alot in his custom North Carolina sportfishing boats suggests two layers of 1700 glass on each side. Rigidity will come from the thickness of the core in relation to the spacing of your supports beneath. Without doing any research, I would guess 3/4" to be appropriate in the xf20...??? Someone with more practical experience can counter that if needed.