Southeastern Builders Meet, 13th-15th, 2013 @ Sebastian?

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Southeastern Builders Meet, 13th-15th, 2013 @ Sebastian?

Post by peter-curacao »

It's almost October :lol: the Keys Builders Bash 2012 speculations/setup started in august 2011, Isn't it time to start planning 2013? :D
Last edited by peter-curacao on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Southeastern Boat Builders Meet 2013

Post by wegcagle »

Sounds good to me. I vote for another Keys trip 8) I'm not sure that trip can be topped.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

I know it isn't south east but a couple years ago we were @ Pensacola beach that also is a very nice little beach town, felt like I drove in that little beach town out of the movie Jaws :D, don't know if there are any facility's to organize a meet because we couldn't stay, the Blue Angels had a show that weekend, cheapest hotel we could find at that time was US$ 600,- a night 8O.

Jimmy buffet has a hotel there though 8)

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

I agree with Peter. The Pensacola / South Alabama area is WAY more closer to me.

How about the date? Are you shooting for early June again? I might make that my deadline on the RB14.
--Wolfe
"When in doubt, give it more throttle."

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

cheapest hotel we could find at that time was US$ 600,- a night
I might be able to float you my hotel discount, Peter. Depends who else I'm bringing with me.
--Wolfe
"When in doubt, give it more throttle."

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

To early or no SE builders meet in 2013? :(

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

I'm interested. I haven't checked this sub-forum in a while. I'd probably be just as likely to make it anywhere in florida. Places with some inshore fishing is a good plus.
possible locations:
1) If anyone is interested in Destin, I could ask relatives. I've caught dolphin in a 15' Whaler there, right off the coast. Huge bay there.
2) If we consider tarpon/Boca Grande, May is better than June, and I don't even need a trailer :wink: .
3) They Keys is always fine also - had a great time there last year. The only thing I preferred about the Innlet motel is that everyone hung around outside the rooms and BS'd. That didn't work as well (for me) in a big hotel environment.
4) big bend area during scallop season. - Springhill, Steinhatchee, and others. The challenge would be finding a good waterfront hotel that our collective SWMBO's would enjoy staying it. Scalloping would be a perfect venue for the boatbuilding meet, lots of nearshore fishing, and even the middle grounds if we got adventurous. Scallop season doesn't open until July 1.
5) Indian River area?
6) St. John's river area? Lots of inshore fishing area there.

Mid May to mid June is a good time in FL - less windy cold fronts, not 100% baking hot yet.

wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

The only thing I preferred about the Innlet motel is that everyone hung around outside the rooms and BS'd. That didn't work as well (for me) in a big hotel environment.
I sure agree with that. The Keys are great for fishing, but the big hotel was not for me. Everybody was too spread out, no common meeting area, and I don't like hotels that I have to walk down 100 yard corridors just to get outside. The Innlet at Boca Grande was a much better location for socializing and we could keep the boats right outside of our room doors. Having to stack them up like we did in the Keys was not ideal. I'm up for about anywhere, but we need a setting more like the Innlet than the Holiday Inn.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Include Shella and I on any plans for a meet this year. I will bring my OD18 Ezmorning. Last couple of years "life" has gotten in the way. I haven't been to Boca, but would be for there or Crystal River. :D

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The Florida panhandle is a good location, it makes it possible for builders from GA, Al, MI, LA, TX etc. to join.
The Florida Keys are nice but in the extreme south and costly.
The panhandle hotels and motels are reasonably priced, the water and fishing are just as good as the keys.

Spring Hill and around there (Central Florida West coast) is a good location too but not as central as the panhandle.
Scalloping is fun but the good spots are crowded like a Walmart parking lot a=the first week-end of the season.
I still prefer the panhandle.

Boca Grande was great but expensive: I don't want to exclude those who are on tight budget and must choose between buying materials and coming to the meet.

My vote goes for the Florida panhandle, preferably where we could find a waterfront hotel/motel like the one in Boca Grande.
Pensacola is good starting point but I don't mind going 100M W or E from there.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com