AD16 Karenina

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AD16 Karenina

Post by Stuff »

Thanks for the opinions on the seatback guys. :D I am leaning towards no sebacks with padded life lines to be safe since I will be using the boat in Florida. Summer storms with high winds are very unpredictable in Florida and they may try to flip the boat before me knowing. The seatback might make it harder to straigthen the boat if the seat goes under water. I think looks wise the seatback make the boat more complete. Just my opinion. :D

Now I have to concentrate on the house move. I am getting Karenina to its temporary house (My dad's house) unitil I get my new house on June 9th. Here is a picture in the flat bed trailer.
Stuff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, go for the straps. I have sailed many boats without seat backrests but fitted with padded lines. It is safe.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

8) ... on the road ... :)

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Hey Stuff. The only sailboat I've ever owned had seats like the AD's. We should have a discussion about the AD cockpit. You asked about the mast I ordered. I ordered per plan. But you will need to go through the process of laying it out until you get a better understanding of what you need i.e. How high is the Dwyer mast step? + How high to my mast partner + how high to the boom and so on. I didn't completely understand what I wanted or why I wanted it until I did the layout. (my mast step might be an inch or two taller than yours so I have to measure what I've built)

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Love the picture. Looks good. Only 16' but these things are big for their age. I meant to build my windows with no mullion at "B" frame like you did. I had no cutouts at that stage and glued the cabin panels to "B" frame, and filleted them before I realized my mistake.

Stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stuff »

Bondo I like what you did more than the actual plan. It looks more completed from the cabin.

Finally after 3 months working on my house I can work on Karenina. I'm going to sand the cockpit and the outside of the cabin to get her ready for fiberglass. Pictures coming soon.
Stuff

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

That's great to see you're back at it. I think you were wondering about the spi pole so copy these pictures. You can see the 2" aluminum bow sprit in its retracted position. Off to the side of the companionway, as high as possible. Just below the frames.

Stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stuff »

Actually I was referring to the mullion in your window but the picture of the spi was very helpful. Now I have a better idea on how to make the hole. BTW please don't remove your pictures. I use them for references all the time. Also they inspire me to keep working hard on Karenina.
Stuff

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

G,day Stuff, Happy to see your working on your boat again, as for the mullion in the window I did not put one in.

Stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stuff »

That's nice. I like that you sandwich the plexi between two frames. Is more water tight that way. I might do the same.
Stuff