Table saw suggestions

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
kjackson
Active Poster
Active Poster

Table saw suggestions

Post by kjackson »

When we moved, I left behind my old table saw as the new place doesn't really have room for a saw that is always up. So, I'm in need of a job-site type saw that can be folded up and tucked away. There are plenty on the market, from those that cost as much as the next boat I'm going to build to those that are about the same price as a circular saw.

While I don't use a table saw all that much, there are things that are best done on one.

I'd really like a saw that is under $400..suggestions?

Thanks,

Keith

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Table saw suggestions

Post by pee wee »

I've used a Ryobi contractor's saw that was not bad- had the extruded aluminum fence and it locked square to the blade. The Grizzly saw I used to have was not satisfactory, but the new ones may be better.
Hank

Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boater45 »

My friend has this Ryobi from Home Depot. He ordered a reconditioned one for around $200 and hasnt had an issue with it.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware ... reId=10051
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19337
OB17 - Will White, Broken Arrow, OK

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I've also got a Ryobi and it works OK for light jobs. Not good for heavy. It's been a decent saw for the price, but if I were doing it again, I'd probably get a Dewalt.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

topwater

Post by topwater »

Handyman magazine just did a test of contractor size saws . I dont know if it was last months issue
or this months. " was reading it in a doctors office ". If it were me i would look at a dewalt or a
porter cable.
Novi 23 finally launched !

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

topwater wrote: If it were me i would look at a dewalt or a
porter cable.
I'd rather have those brands than a Ryobi or Grizzly (or Rigid, etc.), but price is going to be a big indicator of quality here. I've got a Powermatic cabinet saw that I love and depend on- it makes me want to buy other Powermatic tools, and I have. However, once you get down to the cheapies you will find that Powermatic doesn't actually make the tool, it's a Chinese tool with their name slapped on it. I think the other manufacturers do the same thing, so having a Porter Cable name on it (or Delta, etc.) doesn't mean you're getting the known quality of that brand.
If I were shopping for that level of saw there are two things I'd look at- does the fence regularly lock firmly and square to the blade, and is there any wobble or play to the motor shaft (can you detect any play when you wiggle the blade).
Depending on the kind of work I was going to be doing, I'd also consider replacing the blade with something a lot better than what comes with it (but it's probably o.k. for ripping sheer clamp strips and 2 x 4's.
Hank

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

kjackson wrote: I'd really like a saw that is under $400..suggestions?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEWALT-10-in-Co ... 5ae5866d4a
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Aripeka Angler wrote:
kjackson wrote: I'd really like a saw that is under $400..suggestions?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEWALT-10-in-Co ... 5ae5866d4a
That saw is being sold on Amazon for $339, also free shipping (vs. $357). The Bosch saw for around $370 has 18" rip capacity instead of 16", but costs more.
Hank

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

I have this Dewalt and no complaints so far. Maybe Ryobi has gotten better over the years but I had 2 drills from them about 8 years ago and they lasted a total 2 hours. Have not bought anything Ryobi since.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/machinery-p ... 745_2.aspx

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

Don't forget Craigs List posting. My table saw circa 1955 Sears Craftsman Cast Iron 9" with good saw blade and added support wings. I have helped a couple buddies buy saws off Craigs list for a couple hundred bucks with assorted saw blades.