Quality plywood with "no voids" and Marine Tech??

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

The plans for the OB17 say that I can use a quality exterior plywood without voids for internal parts. <BR><BR>What does this mean? Two retailers I spoke to said that realtistically this means stepping up to Marine Fir. Granted this is based on the products that they offer. <BR><BR>Also, I can´t find a retailer in New England that carries Marine Tech plywood. Does anyone know of a retailer? <BR><BR>The manufactorer could only direct me to wholesalers.
Dan

Ken
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ken »

Dan,<BR><BR>Look at the edges of the panels. If you see areas where one or more plies have a hole in them, those are voids. I´ve yet to find any exterior ply in my area that is free of voids so maybe your suppliers are right.<BR><BR>If their are wholesalers in your area handling a product then odds are there are retailers, also. Keep looking.

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

Try this. Call the wholesaler and ask for their local customers, retailers. Tell them you need the plywood and will drive however far it takes to get it. Call the retailers, if they don´t stock it, will they order it for you? Will they order it for you through their store and let you pick it up at the wholesaler´s site? If not, go back to the wholesaler and tell them none of their retailers want to help you and you are planning to drive to Miami to get your wood. They may set you up as "Joe´s Boatyard" and sell to you then. They are only concerned about protecting their retail customers, and selling to "easy" no headache customers. If their retail customers don´t want to sell to you anyway, then they don´t need protecting! Right? Wholesalers sometimes will help you but you must appear organized, knowledgable, low risk, and only show up at times which are most convenient for them. AND THANK THEM PROFUSELY if it works. <BR><BR>Just my thoughts.<BR><BR>jim
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

Edward
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Edward »

Dan I looked at marine tech plywood. It is cheaper yet it is ugly plywood. It is a BC ply and it is made to be covered with fiberglass. There is a company in maine that carries a limited supply of it and they will order it for you. If you are interested in it I can dig up their name.Not worth the effort if you ask me. My boat is a mix of marine ply and ACX ply. The marine is Plumbcreek and it has occasional small voids that I just fill with epoxy thickened with woodflour. If you call Plumbcreek they can tell you who carries what up here.The ACX has not really had any more than the marine. You juts need to be choosey and look at panels closely. I picked through at least 20 sheets before I found ones I thought were acceptable.
Edward

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

Jim and Edward,<BR><BR>Thanks for the comments. I have called Plum Creek. They referred me three wholesalers in the area. I have spoken to each and they have no local customers for Marine Tech. One of them offered to get it for me, but the minimum they could get was enough to build a dozen boats. <BR><BR>Based on Edward´s comments. It doesn´t sound like it is worth it. I thought I might save a couple of bucks with it, but it sounds like there would be a lot of extra work.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Dan
Dan

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

We have had good luck with Marine Tech: it is marine fir but not sanded. There are 2 qualities depending on the outside layer, you may have seen the cheapest one.<BR>Theer is another manufacturer of boat building plywood: Green Forest. They named it XL plywood.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com