VG + Italian New skirt

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Steve_Borelli
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

VG + Italian New skirt

Post by Steve_Borelli »

Dear VG builders,<BR>dear all,<BR><BR>these are pictures showing my new VG skirt.<BR>I decided to post them, even if they are not the last ones, because of some questions posted on this site.<BR>As today my skirt is completely finished and I will post pictures next week after I will take some new photos.<BR>By the way you can see the skirt almost complete.<BR><BR>I designed the new skirt first in paper and later on my VG model and modified until I was very happy of the look and feel of the solution.<BR>The side lines were designed from the back of the cockpit: in this way the boat looks a little "longer" than the original skirt version. Also the lines ( just at my opinion ) seems to be a little pleasent and the skirt is more practical.<BR><BR>Now some comments.<BR><BR>- The skirt is realized to accomplish to a motor mount bracket on the left side and for a ladder on the right. The platform is very big and confortable for a boat of this size.<BR>There are three inspection holes water tight: one, as you can see in the pictures, on the platform and other two, simmetrical built in the sides ( I´ve already cutted but not yet photographed )<BR><BR>The Pros :<BR><BR>- The hull was not "V" cutted and the rudder will "pass" through the hull inside the pole.<BR>You can see the steel pole in the photos.<BR>This gives absolutely freedom to the rudder and, IMHO, gives at the skirt a beautiful line and a great function.<BR>It also gives (obviously) more aft floatation to the hull. ( and it is not bad given the fact there will be a motor... )<BR><BR>- The pole will be tighten at the transom by two steel strings (5mm diameter) and bolted on it.<BR><BR>- The rudder, of course, will be modified to match exactly the bottom shape of the hull.<BR>I think this will give even a little more performance to the hull.<BR><BR>- The horizontal surface of the skirt is a great platform.<BR><BR>- The lines are nice.<BR><BR>The cons.<BR><BR>- You cannot easily lift the rudder. In my case, I built the deep keel version so I don´t plan to lift the rudder so frequently. For me not a drawback.<BR><BR>- The two sides are too small to use them as compartments. In my case, the electric cables run from one side of the boat to the other ( ending in the skirt sides ) running for her entire lenght, given to me the possibility to connect all what I want everywhere in the boat.<BR><BR>The platform is under reinforced with two compartment. If you want you can leave the compartment water tights giving at the boat some floatation chambers.<BR><BR>If someone will be interested to my solution, I will talk to Jacques to undertsand how to publish it. ( measures, plywood specs, building tech, etc. )<BR><BR>NOTE : Even if Jacques Mertens knows that I was building a new skirt and he has seen some my previous preliminar drawings, HE NEVER CERTIFICATED THE SKIRT I BUILT. It means that probably it will work fine given the fact no structural modifications were done to the original project, but if you do it, you do at your own risk ( until Jacques will give the OK )<BR><BR>Have a nice boatbulding !!!<BR><BR>Bye.<BR>Steve
Steve

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

VG + Italian New skirt

Post by jacquesmm »

Stefano, the way you did looks perfect and there are no structural problems with your modification.<BR>You adressed the pro and cons very well. One looses the advantages of the lifting rudder but the boat will perform a little better thanks to a longer undisturbed waterline. It is a good solution for those who can afford the deep keel version.<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: jacquesmm on 07-10-2002 13:04 ]</font>
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Steve_Borelli
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

VG + Italian New skirt

Post by Steve_Borelli »

I´ve forgotten to say that another little advantage is that I can keep two draining holes on the transom ( note that the horizontal skirt face is a little bit sloping to allow the water slide outboard ) and she will drain well even when she will be heeled...<BR><BR>Bye.<BR>Steve
Steve

JustRight

VG + Italian New skirt

Post by JustRight »

Steve,<BR><BR>Looking at your skirt, I wonder how high the skirt top is above the DWL? It looks rather low to the water to me from the picture. Will it collect water when you step out on the aft step?<BR><BR>I assume that you will build the outboard bracket centered on the skirt. If the skirt is low, you may have to build up the bracket to the BIA standards for motor mounts. <BR><BR>I found that my four stroke outboard has a variety of vibration modes. I had to go back and reinforce the motor mount. I have pictures that I should post at my site. The mount is now solid but it shifted the vibration to different panels. Tricky.

Steve_Borelli
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

VG + Italian New skirt

Post by Steve_Borelli »

Dear Justin,<BR><BR>happy to hear news from you ! Hope everything is fine.<BR><BR>Thank you for your precious comments.<BR><BR>Well, this is a question I asked to myself and tried to understood how it will work in the water. I count on the wider bottom ( not "V" cutted ) and I don´t think to collect water on the platform when I step in/out the boat; on the other side when I will impact big waves from aft I will have water on the platform and so I built it to help the drain of the water.<BR><BR>The motor mount will be located on the left because on the right I planned to attach a little telescopic stair to the water; I planned to buy a standard steel braket. I will try stiff the platform in some way.<BR><BR>Thank you.<BR><BR>Bye.<BR>Steve
Steve