How to build a trolling motor mount

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TimeWalker
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

How to build a trolling motor mount

Post by TimeWalker »

Although the wood that I covered with graphited epoxy was not cheap and I should of finised it bright I would of had to of been a lot more careful with the seams and the rest.. but anyhow this isn't about how I finished it but how I built it and what parts it to to accomplish it.

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

The Rest of these pics are post "glueing" after being shaped and sanded incase it's not aparent from the pictures the shape is quite like this /|

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

Big Picture

The Parts list is
3 X 1.25 "through wall" galvanised plates
1 x 1.25 Right angle (street elbow)
1 x 1.25 8"(for me) nipple {pipe}
3' of poplar 6"x .50 board
4 #20 nut/bolt 3"
4 .25 5"

The board is cut 6"x7" and shaped down to about 5.75 x 6.75 on the bottom side and 5.50 x 6.25 on the top and 4" thick on the bottom and about 3.5 on the top which makes a trapazoid (which btw is PERFECT for the minkota)

The assembly you will notice is two board bolted through the #1 through-wall this gives it most of the strength that is required but it's not enough wood to clamp the trolling motor nor is it simple to cover up the bolts ...

You will also notice the hollowed out portions of the boards to accomadate the through-wall plate to be hidden and flat inside

The other two board mostly add hiding but they also add a little strength due to the fact that the bolt threads are epoxied in those boards as well

Please as questions if you have em this took quite a bit of planning and grinding with the angle grinder :) but it is utterly perfect EXTREEMLY STRONG I can lift the whole front of my boat by the pole with no creaking or flexing or anything..

The other two through-wall one is mounted on the deck and one under the deck as a backing plate. This makes the boat to mount strength Although I have a piece of 2x6 mounted under my decking board it only is fileted onto the board most of the strength is in the deck to boat fiberglass mounting.....

TimeWalker
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TimeWalker »

Oh in case I forgot to mention (which I did) the reason for this endevor was to save 200$ my total cost including wood was about 35$ vs the cheapest bow trolling motor mount premade that I could find was 150 and the one I wanted ( cause it was removeable) was 200$ so I saved well over 150$ off the cost and trust me it really doesn't look bad the plates are painted with rustolem hammered metal a nice effect the pipe isn't painted cause I changed lengths at the last minute from 6 to 8 to make it fully clear the bow eye

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

Pretty ingenius idea. What boat is this setting on?. Looks like one of the canoe models. Am I wrong. Would like to see full pics of the rig. :doh:

TimeWalker
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TimeWalker »

it is a "Rick" boat here is my thread of pictuers for it http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/modu ... opic&t=526