BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

Post by TomW1 »

Barra that is a lot of miles on your tow vehicle, Hope you have something rugged. 8O

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Man that is a lot of towing miles. With that much towing how is the new trailer holding up? I am sure the average here is less than 10% of your tow miles.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

OQ, no tax deduction but as a self funded retiree I don’t pay any tax.

TW1, I have a Land Rover Discovery - great tow vehicle.

Fuzz, the new trailer is great thanks. It makes the boat a very easy tow.

On a half decent road, you wouldn't know the boat was there - it just tags along. Unfortunately even Highway 1 in Queensland is only half decent in parts and once you get off the coast the roads are pretty rough from lots of heavy truck traffic. The new trailer is less "springy" than the old one (shown in the pic) and so rides much better. Four wheel electric over hydraulic brakes on the trailer mean that the Discovery and boat can probably stop in less distance than the Discovery by itself. I generally tow at 70 mph where it is legal and safe to do so.
Last edited by BarraMan on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Just caught up with that photo. Pretty much says it all. :D
Tony

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Six years today since I started my build! :D

A bit over 2 years since the "splash"!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

What is really crazy is the armor on the trailer. Tells you that it was 12,000 hard miles on the tow vehicle and trailer.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:41 pm What is really crazy is the armor on the trailer. Tells you that it was 12,000 hard miles on the tow vehicle and trailer.
Haha, not quite that bad OQ! The "armor" is actually heavy fabric mesh - like heavy shade cloth.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

BarraMan wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:12 pm
OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:41 pm What is really crazy is the armor on the trailer. Tells you that it was 12,000 hard miles on the tow vehicle and trailer.
Haha, not quite that bad OQ! The "armor" is actually heavy fabric mesh - like heavy shade cloth.
Still armor. I mean it’s not plate, but then Kevlar is fabric and ar500 is plate. Most vests are Kevlar so I’m going with your trailer is armored.

Take that.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

OK I’ll take that. I’m happy that its there and it appears to give good protection to the boat from stones being thrown up from the tow vehile and others

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Where and when be the next FBBB expedition?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).