BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

Post by BarraMan »

Not much to see on the way back to the boat ramp from the upper reaches of the river - in the dark from about half way. A moon would have been nice! :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

BarraMan, photos look quiet and peaceful!! Jeff

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I left home in Townsville 6 weeks ago. Fished the McArthur R in the Northern Territory for Barramundi. Married off our younger son to a lovely young woman. Explored the Noosa R and the Noosa Everglades with Michael Glossie. Did a couple of days work in Longreach (the home of Qantas - google it!). Towed the BIG boat some 6,500 miles - that’s LA to NY and back, plus a bit! :!:

And now I am back home! :D
Last edited by BarraMan on Tue May 22, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

To put the distances BarraMan has covered these past six weeks in perspective, imagine hauling a big 20 footer on a loop from Florida to San Francisco to New York to Florida again. Bearing in mind that many of the roads in the far north of Australia are but partially sealed, the US trip is the easier one.

No wonder now that he's back home, he's kicking back and having a cold one or two.

Well done Lee! :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Just WOW GB!! Just WOW!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Not sure what that says about the boat but it is one heck of a trailer test. I am pretty sure most of us will not trailer our boats that far during the entire time we have them.
As for the big Barra it sure seems to do every thing quite well. It is so nice to see a boat do what the builder hoped and for it to be used that way. I was sort of hoping for a Utube video of the BigBarra jumping waves on the Noosa bar :lol:

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I have tried a couple of store-bought ice boxes in the hatch under the front deck of my boat, but nothing has worked to my liking. :doh:

So I have decided to put my newly developed glassing/epoxying skills to work to build a fit-for-purpose custom built ice box - or “esky” as we call them in Oz - “chilly-bin if you are a Kiwi (pronounced “chilly-bun”)! :lol:

Started on it today. Pics to follow when I have something to show.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Good project Lee. You cant have too much insulation, and effective drainage is a must.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

glossieblack wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:44 am Good project Lee. You cant have too much insulation, and effective drainage is a must.
Indeed Michael! My plan is for 2” (50 mm) high density closed cell foam all round, although I could be convinced to put 3” or 4” (75 mm or 100 mm) on the bottom.

50 mm foam will give me a 200L ice box. I certainly plan to provide good drainage, but I am still thinking through how to do that.

Glad to hear of your success getting Great Sandy over the Noosa bar.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Unfortunately, unlike my mate Glossie, I am a much better "doer" than I am a "documenter"! :D

I got this far with my cooler before I stopped to pick up a camera.