BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

Post by BarraMan »

glossieblack wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:42 am Where and when be the next FBBB expedition?
April 5-14 is the next expedition to the McArthur R in the Northern Territory chasing Barramundi. This trip is special because my three favourite fishing companions are coming with me - younger son, ex pro-fisherman barra-nut mate, and a Townsville based barra guide mate. Two young young bucks and two old bulls! We have been looking forward to this since three of us first fished up there in Sept 2017. We have all fished the Hinchinbrook Channel with Knighty (the pro barra guide) before and we can't wait to share our NT fishing adventures with him!

Knighty and I are driving from Townsville and picking up The Young Bucks off the plane from Brisbane in Mount Isa on the way through.

A trip to the NT is like a Space Shuttle launch! The countdown has started.

I've been working my way through the Big Barra Boat from transom to bow tidying up my messy wiring and sorting out a few things that I have been unhappy with, and installed a salt and fresh water deck wash system.

The bilge.

The rear electric power plant (crank and house batteries).

The deck wash.

And I thought you might enjoy this!

https://www.facebook.com/ABCDarwin/vide ... 35034/?t=3

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

That little red top bilge pump looks like it has seen better days!

The video gives new meaning to "like taking candy from a baby"! 8O
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

The Big Barra Boat got a new rub rail today. Changed from a white one to a black one. I suspect Tom will be happy to be proven right - the black rub rail looks better than its predecessor!

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Lee, Yes the black definitely shows off the sheer line better. Is it a colour replacement of the previous TM r25 secured with additional fixings, or a new brand of 'rub rail'? Bet you're itching to get back up to the Gulf! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

glossieblack wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:30 am Lee, Yes the black definitely shows off the sheer line better. Is it a colour replacement of the previous TM r25 secured with additional fixings, or a new brand of 'rub rail'? Bet you're itching to get back up to the Gulf! :D
Michael, I left the backing strips in place and just put a new rubber rub rail on it. To hopefully prevent it being “rolled” off by a big wave, I used a sealer/adhesive under the rubber strip in the bow section. Time will tell how successful it is.

Have you bought rub rail for “Skinny Dip” yet? If not I have a present for you - a half meter piece of black Radial 52 rub rail and backing strip so that you can see how it would look.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Present gratefully accepted. :D

I haven't purchased yet, but I'm going with either black or grey TM r50. Leaning to black.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

I've had a very bad day!

Post by BarraMan »

I've had a few issues with my boat. On my last fishing trip to the Northern Territory last year, I hit a rock in the middle of nowhere! One minute I was in 20' of water then "bang" I was in <2' of water, and by the time the boat came to a halt I was back in 20' of water. One of the locals said, "Yeah, there are a few unmarked pinnacles out there"! 8O

I was on the plane at the time but fortunately only doing 16 kts, not my more usual 26 kts.

The hit destroyed the skeg guard on the motor and took a piece out of the skeg. I later discovered that it also bent the propeller shaft slightly and bent the S/S propeller.

After Xmas I put the boat in for its annual service on the motor and decided to fully repair the damage - so new prop shaft, skeg repair, new skeg guard, prop repair and balance in addition to the normal service on the motor.

I took the lower unit (gear box and prop) to a repair shop that I last used many years ago. Imagine my surprise when it was the same shop, in the same place, with the same bloke behind the counter. I said to him, "I am an old customer - I was last here about 40 years ago"! These guys are craftsmen and repaired the damage good as new so you would not even know that it had happened. Then my marine dealership installed a new prop shaft and checked the gear box for any other damage. It came through with a clean slate!

Today I took the boat out for a water test - and maybe catch a barra or two. A couple of miles into a run up the beautiful Hinchinbrook Channel I noticed water slopping around on the floor of the cockpit. At first I thought it was just ice melt from one of my coolers but rather than drain into the bilge and disappear, it just got progressively worse. I stopped to investigate but couldn't find the source of the water, and confirmed that it was salt water not fresh ice water. What the @#$% !

About then one of my auto-bilge pumps kicked in a pumped large amounts of water out of the bilge. :help: I turned on the manual bilge pump and headed back to the boat ramp, pondering the possibility of a split hull! How can that be? There are 16 layers of 12 oz biax cloth across all the joins in the hull! Has the trailer somehow punched a hole in the bottom? I've heard of that happening with an ill-fitting trailer, but my expensive custom built trailer? No way!

Back to the boat ramp, pulled the boat out onto the trailer, climbed underneath looking for a split or hole in the hull - nothing!!!!

Hmmmmm???????? :doh:

So I figured I would go back home and fill the hull with water and see where it leaked. Packed the boat up, tied it down and headed for home thinking, "How can I get this thing repaired in the 6 weeks before we are due to go barra fishing in the Northern Territory again? If not, its gonna be crowded with four of us in my little 14" barra boat".

Driving along I decided to ring (hands free) a fishing buddy and tell him the bad news. As I dialed the number the cogs in my head clicked over, and the problem was solved !!!!!! What a relief !!!!! My hull is NOT split or holed !!!! :D

I have had a deck wash system sitting in the cupboard in my office for the last three years. A few weeks ago I decided to fit it to the boat. I got started - but not finished. What happens when you have a 3/4 pipe running from a water inlet under the hull to a from compartment where the deck-wash pump is to be housed - and its open at both ends? On the plane, water is forced into the inlet, along the pipe (although its located up under the gunwale) and out into the front compartment, where it then flows into the compartment drain holes and onto the floor of the cockpit, into the cockpit drains and down into the bilge.

It would have been smart to have a sea cock on that pipe! Oh, hang on a minute, I have one of those!

The moral of this story is, "If you are unexpectedly taking water - first step = close your sea-cocks"! :lol:

So here I am feeling greatly relieved - and a little stupid! :D
Last edited by BarraMan on Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

I'm hoping cape man or one of the other more literate members of this forum will produce the pithy quote that captures the truth that boating makes occasional fools of us all. :help:

Good that it was only a thang. :D

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Well if that is the worst thing that happens to you while boating I would say you are in pretty good shape.
Unfortunately I too know the feeling of having water coming into the boat and not knowing where it is coming from. It ain't fun :help:

cape man

Post by cape man »

Lee, despite Michael's goading, I have nothing. Thanks for sharing the story. We all make mistakes. I once put 9 gallons of fuel into the rod holder on a boat which was a few inches away from the fuel fill after a day of fishing. Really good when we live to tell the story. 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman