TW28 for Adriatic Sea

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

TW28 for Adriatic Sea

Post by Corto Maltese »

Hello guys, I would like to inform you here about the progress of my build.
I don't think I could show any new things, as the builders of tw28 have already done such a great job and their posts (Ilker, Allard, Paul, Fabio, Rick, Colin) are very instructive for all us new builders. But not only they, as the Jacques' designs are detailed and advice from the company and all community on this forum are really helpful. I'll post (in bad English) the small details, which, I hope, will be helpful for others.

I came upon the design in the summer of 2011, when I decided to build a boat, which could cruise around the +1300 of Adriatic islands, being sturdy enough to cope with the sudden gales (bora). I was born on these shores where once Liburnians ruled the waves and as a kid we moved on the foot of Alps, so it is time now, after half a century, to go back to those shores. Maybe I'll give the name to the boat after the Liburnian goddess Ika.

Before you start such a project, you have to consider some issues:
MONEY – you need around 4-5k euros to start the project, then for engine, shaft, propeller >10k, monthly expenses (300 would be more than enouh) and here and there you have to get some extra cash (>1k). You are building this boat not because you want to save money, but because you want to do it and you want exactly such a boat.
TIME – Just a weekend is maybe not enough. I miscalculated somewhat, because I didn't expect so hot summers (over 30 degrees C), when it is impossible to work with epoxy. In these circumstances I can work from March until November, but the “epoxy” temperatures between 18 and 25 I have only from April until June and in September and October. The TW28 is then at least a 4 year project for a guy who relatively owns his time.
PLACE – I have an apartment downtown of Ljubljana (no backyard for boat builder:). I've had luck to find and rent a place just 10 minutes away walking. I'm paying 150 euros for jutting roof with electricity and some light on the guarded industrial complex. There are trash bins and toilets. The rented place is 18m long and 4,2m wide. I've built some fence around, the first 6 m for my friend's camper and rest of 12 m for TW28. The roof is leaking :(
DESIGN – It is not enough: you need the support of designer and other builders. Bateau is the gold mine!
PERSONAL – health, family support, tenacity, think everything through, some manual skills (you don't need phd)

When I got the envelope with designs I first built a model from cardboard. It is easier later to understand the structure of boat. And it's fun.
In September I was cruising on my motorcycle around the city looking for a place... and found it in my neighborhood – luck.
In November I made fence around and cleaned the mess. The industry complex is now settled by dozens of small business where once was a huge construction firm which bankrupted. The winter here is cold, always around 0 and down to -10 degrees C. Meanwhile I got okoume plywood (Italian and Dutch, bought in Slovenia), epoxy (German, bought also here) and fiberglass from Germany (around 100 euros for freight).
Then I was just waiting for March 2012 to start with strongback.

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: TW28 for Adriatic Sea

Post by Corto Maltese »

1km away from my building place is a Bauhaus megastore, where I bought the lumber for strongback. It was not of good quality (as much of things nowadays), a soft fir artificially and fast dried. So I supported it with pieces of OSB. I screwed the transverse beans in the place of stations (needed some calculations and, remember, between the stations E and D the bottom planks changes touching from front to back of the edges of molds). When I measured the diagonals, there was less than 1 cm of difference. OK. I had some difficulties because the floor isn't level.
In the first phase I put the sheets of OSB upon the strongback to get a surface for assembling the longboards. I made also the transom mold.

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

It would be easier and less time consuming to get a whole kit from Bateau, but the freight costs to this part of Europe would be to big for me. But assembling the sheets of plywood and drawing all the curved lines was fun. Especially when I found out that the triangles I used, didn't have exact 90 degrees :) Even though they were not made in China.

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

I cut the plates with my Makita circular saw. Two layers at the same time. With the Makita and good okoume it went like through butter. Then I taped the parts of long boards together. It was time consuming, because I didn't have enough space and had to wait epoxy to dry and then glue the next board and so on... then turn them around and glue other side. Having a lot work on job it took me weeks long :( and in the end of May I kerfed the bottom panels and start to build mold on the strongback.

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

The mold has been built in June 2012. On the drawings you can see that the upper part of the molds, made from OSB, was “hanged” on the transverse beans, which were on the base line (BL). It was also time consuming: for a station I needed a day. Measuring and checking, proofing the level and verticals with water hose, bubble level and laser level. The error along the more than 28 feet was less than 1,5 cm. I'm satisfied with that. I was never to conscientious, but it seems perfect to me.

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

July 2012: nada, nothing, rien. Holidays on the island of Cres. Temperatures at home up to 38 degrees C.

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

August 2012: Laminating four 6mm sheets on the transom mold. Some tw28 builders reported troubles bending two 12mm panels, so I followed Ilkers advice to laminate 6mm ply. It was easy to bend and glue everything. I drilled holes for excess glue – this is advice from Devlin's book, but I think it is not necessary (nevertheless I like to drill holes:). I would recommend to put two strong battens under the straps on the edges which will be connected with the sides. It would prevent some distortion, which occurred in my case.
The last two weeks I put the boards on the mold. No gaps on the station molds.
Did I mention, that I'm doing everything by myself? Then there were 2 birthdays: mine (57) and son's (1). Until the splash, son will be to big to misuse him for bilge cleaning :) I started stitching abaft. Near the bow I used 4 strong straps. Didn't forced anything and I let the boards to rest some days on the mold. The okoume is excellent wood and it slowly adapted to the lines. The bow was different, but also here I didn't force to much the panels. Each day few cm. Next day it was always surprisingly easier. The bow fitted well, though not exactly with bow mold, which I shortened few cm. At the end of month everything has been stitched. Needed some corrections on the transom and sawing away the hard spots along the seams.

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

September 2012: Gluing the seams and bow. No time for photos. Always in hurry with epoxy. I put some additional patches of FG at the seams near the bow. The forces there are to big to rely only on thin layer of epoxy glue, but maybe I'm wrong... Didn't want to experiment.
Until the end of month I taped the transom seams and bow. The stitches were removed and holes filled with the glue. The temperature fell around 10 degrees C, so it was impossible to tape the seams. They will wait for end of March or April...

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

November 2012: Drilling screws through the bottom to mark the position for keel molds.
Then bold walkabout with my Makita and here we have a hole along the boat (for the last time, I hope:). With some help of Master Yoda's light saber (laser lever) the keel molds are added.
And then keel panels temporary attached (to hide the hole:). Now, it is starting to be cold and I covered everything until March.
At the beginning of January I realized, that I've done less than planned, but everything done alone and from scratch, without kit, and having hot epoxy-unfriendly summer, I should be content.

vla
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by vla »

Dario,

Great to read your story, everything you write is so familiar to me. Great to read the enthusiasm of a TW28 builder.
Known problems, known solutions. If you can not do anything because it's winter, spend some time with your wife and child. They will certainly miss you during construction, especially if you do everything on your own.
Nice to see pictures of your boat.

Allard
TW28 Stoere meid, the best boat for long trips