TW28 for Adriatic Sea

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: TW28 for Adriatic Sea

Post by TomW1 »

Corto you have gotten some good advice, the info I have through my prop calculator I would go with the 19x13. It will provide you the most thrust and control. 1000 euros while high does not sound high for a bronze prop. A SS 19x13 here in the states would cost $4-600 US. Bronze is always more expensive.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

Thank you for your advice, Tom,
the prices a few years ago were 350 eur (it's almost the same as $), I hope I'm getting it now for around 700. The prices include around 22% of taxes, in US the system is different, the taxes are lower, but the merchant margin could be way higher.
Wish you a pleasant Sunday
Dario

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Corto Maltese wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:31 pm Thank you for your advice, Tom,
the prices a few years ago were 350 eur (it's almost the same as $), I hope I'm getting it now for around 700. The prices include around 22% of taxes, in US the system is different, the taxes are lower, but the merchant margin could be way higher.
Wish you a pleasant Sunday
Dario
Good for you, 700 sounds much more reasonable. I know taxes in Europe are higher than here in the US, it is just something that has to be. :(

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

It's about time to finish this build. I've hoped to splash the boat in June but some health issues prevented it. I worked hard all summer and we were ready to move to the seaside in September. The first problem was the too-low roof for a mobile crane to access:
...so we have to build an additional cradle and pull the boat out:
And here she is for the first time under the sun:
It was only 110km to the destination, but the truck and crane took me 1100 euros. Never mind, I was still happy to move after more than a decade under the same roof.
And here we are! On the dry dock in Izola Marina on the north Adriatic Sea.
Let's put some antifouling:
Done. BTW the guy on the boat was born when his father started with this build :D
As you can see, the cockpit is very functional

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congratulations, great looking boat!!! Jeff

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

Next two months I lived aboard and finished some electricity, and engine service and had a frustrating time with steering hydraulic air bleeding. After a month of headbanging, we discovered that the manual was deficient and the task was afterwards done in less than an hour. Couldn't be done without the helping hand of my friend S., of course.
The autumn has been beautiful and warm and I spent on the boat until the end of November. Well, everything went ok, only there were some minor leaks from below and above and the engine panel hadn't got contact :oops: We were pulled to the berth and I checked all the engine circuits even though I suspected a bad pin connection which was the cause of malfunction. As winter approached I didn't want to start the engine. The northeast wind bora can bring freezing temperatures here, so I decided to wait until March. There is some more work to do... wooden rub rails, head and water lines, interiors...

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

I have to express my gratitude to Jacques for the design of TW28 which suits my expectations and for the help in the time of the project. The build would be much more difficult if there was no such support from the bateau community.
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year
Dario

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

What an exciting post to open. Boat looks great! Well done. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dario congratulations on your launch. It has been a long time coming next spring hopefully you will be able to start enjoying and cruising on her.

Regards, Tom

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

First of all it has been a long haul for you and my congratulations on the launch!!
I loved the pictures from pulling it out from the work shed all the way to the water. I hope you have a wonderful time with the boat and keep posting about your trips.