TW28 for Adriatic Sea

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TW28 for Adriatic Sea

Post by jacquesmm »

Very nice job, thank you for posting.
Turning the hull is big moment, a turning point.

Pete Seeger has an album with some excellent shanties, I like "What shall we do with drunken sailor" and "Deep Blue Sea".
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Congratulations on the successful flip Dario. Cheers!!!

It certainly is a nice feeling isn't it? And the boat seems a lot bigger now too! :wink:

Oh what I would have given for some heavy equipment like you had. So much easier. Very soon it'll all be a faded memory.

I hope you're ready, the real work starts now! Keep the updates coming.

Regards...
Last edited by Knottybuoyz on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

Thank you for encouraging words! It would be impossible without the knowledge treasury on this forum.
The bigger fork-lift and operator cost me 100eur for 2 hours (the firm is just 75m away), the little one was friendly help from neighbouring shop.
I found Seegers sloop on Youtube. Didn't know about shanties, but we can for sure add some new verses to Drunken sailor (about epoxy haha).
I'm reading Tony's book. Got it on Kindle. 2 brave and witty guys...
Cheers,
Dario

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Knottybuoyz said,
Very soon it'll all be a faded memory.
Wow, I doubt that!! I don't think either of you will ever forget it. A tale for the grandkids.

Thanks for buying the book. Only downside with the Kindle version is you can't burn it in a beach campfire while listening to Jimmy Buffett and hoisting a few.
Tony

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hallo Corto,

Thanks for the encouraging wishes for not too hot weather here in Austria. It is crazy, first it was all the time cold and raining so definitely no epoxy work and now it is too damn hot that one can only mix 150 grams of it. I have no slow hardener and therefore I battle along with small batches.
I just had another look at the flipping of Your boat. I must say it really was fast. Will you also have to put 2 part foam into the bottom of your boat ? If so dont buy it in 400 ml bottles to shake like I did, rather in big ones which you can apply with a pistol.

Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

Karl,
after the record hot summer of 2013 I don't want to risk any more time and so I use epoxy BLH200 (Germanische Lloyd approved) and fast hardener K25 also with the slow hardener W400 (http://www.ebalta.de They have seller in Austria, which supplies also Slovenia and Croatia). The slower W400 needs a whole day to harden, but I mix them 1:1 and it gives me comfortable hour to work with 250g batches. Especially filleting is now easier. You can mix these hardeners in different ratios. Downside of this epoxy is that it is measured by weight (100gE:30gH), but I'm used now. I noticed also that if it is cold and humid it tends to form some amine blush which clogs the sanding pads. Nevertheless you can remove it easily with water.
No foam needed for tw28 :)
Grüß aus Laibach,
Dario

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

will you be coppercoating the bottom (copper powder and epoxy) it is rock hard and is a permanent antifouling paint that doesn't pollute

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

I'm not sure for coppercoat, although I checked it on net.. I have at least 2 years time to decide :) I'm not sure about pollution, because it is copper like in many other antifoulings. And coppercoat also disolves slowly.
Of course I'm for eco-consciousness; Northern Adriatic is shallow (<30m) and heavily polluted from Veneto industry, Pad farming, too much tourism from Venice to Istria...

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hallo Dario,
When will we see again pictures of your boat ? I hope you are progressing well.
To the last question about copper for the bottom of your boat my opinion is that epoxy/graphite does a really good job on the bottom which I have tested with my FS13 by dragging it over a pebble beach at the Traunsee and it has no scratch.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

Karl,
thanks for neighbourly concern :D Didn't post anything, as Rick is doing all the job for me. He's few weeks ahead of me. At the moment I'm fixing the engine bearers, next week we're going to put the engine with the fork-lift into the hull. I have to make small trolley and move engine 3 m forward, hoist it with chain pulley and then carefully lower onto the engine mounts.
Next step will be fixing the Python drive and then I can measure and purchase 35 mm shaft etc., and later propeller.
It seems my way at this moment separates Rick's, who's fixing skeg and rudder..
I don't have much time for making posts on this forum, but I promise to make a youtube of engine mounting.
Wish you all the best and visit me in Laibach if you have chance. It would be the opportunity for me to clean the mess in my "shipyard".
Cheers to all boat builders on this tiny third rock.