Runabout, powered by PWC

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Runabout, powered by PWC

Post by glossieblack »

Joel, Had a chance to run her with the cleaned up engine yet?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I have not :( it hard to line up free time, especially if I need another boat to run chase.

I have been working on the steering though. The old helm (from the jetski) was limiting the movement of the nozzle, so I scrapped it and have installed a true jet boat helm. Its a pretty stout helm so i needed to make a new mounting plate (goes under the pretty carbon/kevlar dash) I finished that yesterday and I just need to get the boat to the jetski mechanic to hook the cable up to the pump, its a PITB to do. The jetboat helm will allow me to mount a wheel and it has over 200 degrees of motion from stop to stop - that will give me A LOT more leverage in turning

old helm

epoxy on some block to which I will secure a mounting plate

new helm

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

No doubt it will be much nicer than handlebars. 8)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Oh, definately :!: The handle bars were never a permanent solution, just something to use while I worked the kinks out of the rest of the systems :)

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

shine wrote:The handle bars were never a permanent solution, just something to use while I worked the kinks out of the rest of the systems :)
Yes, well, I've certainly never been guilty of rushing things for the sake of testing!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Have you had a chance to test the steering Joel? :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

sadly, no :( no time ...........

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

was able to run the boat yesterday :) My friend ran chase in his boat and took some video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHHq8O_XFuo

steering is now VERY good, not shown in the video but I was able to get it to spin out. Speed was better, not sure the mph but Im guessing 50ish. There is still some room on the throttle, and I was only getting 7000 rpm

RR
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RR »

Very cool! 8)

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I have really enjoyed watching this build come together. I no place around here to be able to use a boat like that but it does not stop me from liking what I am seeing. As so many others have said you have done one fine job! Plus I love it when people do things a little bit out of the main stream and it all works out.
Fuzz.