Runabout, powered by PWC

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Runabout, powered by PWC

Post by tech_support »

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Looks ready for glue! Are y'all glassing this week?
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Yes! Im actually a day behind on the thread update. The stitches are pulled, edges rounded over and its ready for glass. This afternoon we are getting all the stuff together for tomorrow's glassing and also cleaning up. Will post pictures of the rounding/shaping.

what it looked like this morning after a night for the putty/glue to cure...

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

caught up the picture uploads, this is what it look like now, right before glass...

Rough shaped the edges with the angle grinder and 24 grit disc, carefully :) Cuts right through the zip ties too. Put a radius on on all edges that will allow for the 12 oz biax cloth to turn. Went back over with a 60 grit on the DA sander to smooth things out. Its really not too important how much you turn the edges, later we will sharpen them back up with fairing. Right before glassing tomorrow, we will swipe epoxy putty into the stitch holes and any other little gaps that need it.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Pretty cool Peter, I know I can direct upload to youtube as well as facebook, just have not set it up to do so yet. Thanks.

Maybe I will do that tonight. :D

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Cracker Larry wrote:Looks good 8) I don't do facebook.
I didn't do it either in fact I hated it, but I do it now :oops:
I have to admit there are nice things to like in there like bateau but also Jarrett Bay Boatworks what lets you follow the build of a 77 footer, or marlin magazine what shows you some awesome catches, Okuma fishing and so on, o yeah it's also nice to keep in touch with overseas friends.

Joel I ripped the video from facebook with a Firefox app and posted it to youtube, did cost me 5 minutes I think, so just shout if you want me to do more

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Outside tabbing complete, 2 layers 12 oz biax. Started by filling any remaining stitch holes or gaps with epoxy putty (silica/woodflour), then taped right over the still wet putty.

tomorrow will sand the tape (knock down the glass stitching and bevel the ovelaps), then put on the wide cloth. Have not decided how to do the overlaps, but I want to avoid an overlap on the side panels

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

What are the dimensions of the panels? Bottom panel width and side panel width? An dthis thing is 16 or 17 feet long right?
How amny layers of 12oz are going on the bottom? And are you going to put an extra layer between the keel and chine to fill in the area caused by the tape like you did on your FS17? I read that thread about one week after I had glassed the bottom of my boat and kicked myself the whole time I fairing... That won't happen again. :D

The boat is looking good! Can't wait to see how the engine goes in. Thanks for documenting all the step for us Joel.

P.S. I found that color chart! Evidently I put it where the kids wouldn't mess with it and it wouldn't get lost :oops:. Worked a little too good! But it is in the mail on it's way home. I am so sorry it has taken so long.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

As it is now, the hull is 17' 6".
No scantlings, the design is not finished but we have built many hulls of that type.
This hull is a little wider than the RB16 with more dead rise.

This is a very different design schedule: we build a hull and solve the problems as we go.
As soon as Joel gets the engine in there, I will design the cockpit and framing.
We'll sit around it and discuss the options.
There are several ways to weld the jet drive to the hull . . . suspense.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com