Page 1 of 1

Runabout, powered by PWC

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:07 am
by tech_support
We will be starting a new project in the coming weeks; a runabout powered by a donor PWC. :)

There are examples of small ski boat designs that were built with smaller jet-skit engines, mostly these are outboard designs that are modified to accept a jet drive. Our idea is to design a larger boat that is designed from the beginning to be powered by a large PWC engine and pump.

Advantages over adapting existing designs : 1) running surface will be designed for jet-drives, which have differences from running surfaces designed for outboards. 2) The transom area can be made much more aesthetically pleasing, can incorporate reverse and curved transom and even swim platform. Seating, center of gravity, etc. all planned with Jet-drive in mind

We picked up a donor jet-skit to use on the prototype. The runabout will be deigned to accept not just this brand, there are several others made by other companies that will work just as well. Its a Kawasaki 1500 cc, 3 seater, 4 cylinder, 4 stroke motor, rated at 150 hp, 35 hours on it.

The idea is to use almost everything from the PWC; motor/pump, all the rigging, steering helm (will give it a wheel) , gauges, fuel tank.

here is the donor....

Re: Runabout, powered by PWC

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:28 am
by wegcagle
Cool 8) This will be a fun one to watch.

Will

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:46 pm
by Boater45
Very cool!! I would be very interested!

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:38 pm
by 94Virago
Wish I had known about this before starting on my RB14.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:47 pm
by AtTheBrink
Can you give us some info on the boat? Length, width, all that fun stuff. Maybe a rough drawing of two?

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:53 pm
by jacquesmm
Rough drawing is asking too much: the boat exist only in our mind.
Joel will pull all the innards out and we must measure everything carefully before starting a design.
We will almost certainly cut a fiberglass pad out of the jet ski and weld it to our hull.
From the specs, I guess we will end up with a light boat about 17' long styled like the RB16 but wider and a much more powerful hull.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:59 pm
by AtTheBrink
jacquesmm wrote:Rough drawing is asking too much: the boat exist only in our mind.

I love working like that! :D 8) looking forward to seeing it jump from your mind into reality.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:49 pm
by peter-curacao
Just curious why not just buy replacements parts instead of chopping up that ski, is it cheaper ? yeah yeah I know the less jet ski's the better :P

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:02 pm
by jorgepease
I was going to try to use one to power the xf20 but was told I am not allowed to run a jet in my area of the keys. Love the idea though!

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:39 pm
by silentneko
I thought about a jetski modified for fishing on the flats, but was told the sand and grass would ruin the impeller very quickly. Is this going to be for open waters? Lakes?

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:58 pm
by ks8
Peter,

I think maybe there is nothing wrong with the pictured jetski. It was likely simply the cheapest way to get the innards and gauges, instead of sourcing and buying those assemblies separately. I'm guessing the possibility of a design fitted to this sort of drive has been kicked around before, and it is now its time. :)

I'm interested to see the sort of rudder that gets fitted to this runabout, so there is some directional control even if the power is intentionally or unintentionally cut.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:21 am
by peter-curacao
Okay thanks ks8 that makes sense 8)

Maybe they place the yet nozzle fixed with a rudder behind it? :doh:

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:15 am
by Heloman78
Compare the cost of a good used Jet Ski to a new 40hp motor. Sort of apples and oranges but when you don't have an unlimited budget this option could be a good one. Sure would feel funny though to make that first cut on a perfectly good ski, I'd probably film it and laugh about it for years.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:24 am
by jorgepease
I'd love to see the design applied to the cat hull and stick one jet in each hull :)

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:33 am
by Southern Gent
Fellows, I saw this posting on Craigs List Nashville TN. , Bill

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/3532566289.html

CL > nashville > all for sale / wanted > boats - by owner Reply Reply to:
best of River Jet Boat, Jetjon - $900 (nashville)
This is a project that I hate to part with, but my wife wants to park her car in the garage this winter and says I have too many boats.

What I have is a fiberglass 12/58 Monarch hull with a 1993 Yamaha WaveRunner III engine and jet pump. This project was inspired by a guy I met on the Caney fork who was buzzing up the shoals and riffles effortlessly while I walked my gheenoe.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:04 pm
by AtTheBrink
There was a guy here on this forum that converted a bateau design to run with an old jetski motor. He did much as.Jacques and Joel are doing, using part of the jetski hull and welding it in place. If I remember right it was kind of a rush/quicky job that didn't turn out so well. I am anxious to see this build and what they learn from it. It would be cool to incorporate this in a flats boat/poling skiff like the FS-18 or similar boat.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:54 am
by topwater
There is another builder in the Chicago area that was using a jet ski pump in one of the new
runabout designs , he was posting pic's and if I remember right he had just finished putting
the jet pump in the hull . I think he also had a thread . Been awhile since any posts and cant
remember the name or title . Okay I found it in a search RB 14 with jet drive is the thread.
Coryd is the album.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:59 am
by tech_support
Just curious why not just buy replacements parts instead of chopping up that ski, is it cheaper ? yeah yeah I know the less jet ski's the better :P
It would cost a lot more than a brand new jetski, I started looking at component prices and it added up quickly
hought about a jetski modified for fishing on the flats, but was told the sand and grass would ruin the impeller very quickly. Is this going to be for open waters? Lakes?
I would not use one for flats fishing unless it was only for running in deeper water, from one flat to another, at high speed. then you would want a trolling motor with plenty of battery capacity

'
m interested to see the sort of rudder that gets fitted to this runabout, so there is some directional control even if the power is intentionally or unintentionally cut.
Using the steering from the jetpump nozzle. Im sure the hull will have some aggressive strakes/runners for a good bite

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:48 am
by tech_support
Removed top of jetski and started to gut it. They really put these things together 8O All bedded with methacrylate, no screws, no way to save the hull. At this point we can get good measurements on the engine/drive in order to proceed with the runabout design. Exhaust and all disconnected, plan to lift engine out today or tomorrow.

labeled everything and took a lot of pictures for future reference

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm
by AtTheBrink
Since y'all can't save the hull are you going to design something new, copy it, or use the jetski hull as a mold?

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 pm
by tech_support
AtTheBrink wrote:Since y'all can't save the hull are you going to design something new, copy it, or use the jetski hull as a mold?
we will cut out the section of hull that contains the jet pump housing, it will then be glassed into the "pad" on the new boat. May or may use engine beds.

Just yanked the motor...

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:38 pm
by AtTheBrink
That is some compact HP. I didn't realize that those jetski/seadoo/waverunner thing had so much power. 150HP is a lot in a little boat. How much more efficient are the direct drive jets compared to the outboard jets?

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:12 pm
by tech_support
Cut the jig out today, assembled it on the strong back. Cutting hull panels tomorrow, will epoxy them and hopefully have hull stitched up and ready for glass by friday.

Here is a rendering of the jig assembly.

I have a video and some pictures of the "real" jig, will upload them tonight and put them on our facebook page.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:23 pm
by tech_support
AtTheBrink wrote:How much more efficient are the direct drive jets compared to the outboard jets?
About the same, I would expect.

I would guess the direct drive might be better at higher speeds.
That is some compact HP. I didn't realize that those jetski/seadoo/waverunner thing had so much power. 150HP is a lot in a little boat.
Yeah, but thats at 10,000 RPM 8O

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:50 pm
by Cracker Larry
Yeah, but thats at 10,000 RPM 8O
8O 8O No wonder the dang things are so noisy.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:05 pm
by AtTheBrink
I like the drawings. That little cruiser is going to have plenty of style! The reverse slope on the transom is going to be a real head turner! :D

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:13 am
by Southern Gent
There are a couple Jet-Ski & PWC engines on the Birmingham,AL. Craigs list if anyone wants them. I'm not in the market for them. I will assit you as I can.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:21 am
by Uncle D
I went to Facebook to see the progress but can't seem to find it. Am I missing something?? :help:

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:48 am
by jacquesmm

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:22 pm
by Daniel Huckleberry
I've considered this for a long time. I am a big fan of jets as I grew up with them both large and small). There was an article several years ago in Wooden Boat where someone designed and built a scaled down Jonesport Lobster boat with a kawasaki engine. They were very pleased with its performance, especially at low tide.

Huck

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:46 pm
by jacquesmm
I remember and that was a lobster boat in name only. It was a very light boat with a traditional look.
I think they used the same engine we have.
Same concept here but with the runabout look.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:05 pm
by AtTheBrink
Are the videos that are on Facebook available here? I am not a.member on facebook so I couldnt see the video.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:04 pm
by tech_support
I mobile upload them right to FB, so thats the only place I have them right now. I will upload them to youtube eventually.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:52 am
by tech_support
uploaded some pictures from friday. Hull is stitched up. Having the stitch holes pre-drilled by the machine really helped in aligning panels. Having a lip at the bottom of the MDF molds is a huge help in knowing how far down to pull the side panels = no droopy bow, which is going to be really important on this boat for the aesthetics. Tacked the panels in place with a some epoxy glue from a cartridge, next step is going to be to attaching transom and finish tacking it all up.

I used some PVC pipe pieces as backing to the stitches, this makes he panel pull together when you tighten the stitch. Also, i needed up needing to use wire towards the bow, zip ties would not cut it.

The build sequence for this boat is going to be a little different from the others because we have to flip the boat twice. Once I have the outside of the hull glassed, we will flip the hull in order to put in the jet pump. Once the pump and the part of the jet-ski hull that is around the pump is glassed to the inside of the runabout hull, the hull gets flipped back over so we can completely fair the bottom.

In order to make sure we do not loose any of the shape of the hull with all this flipping, i may epoxy glue the molds to the inside of the hull with a few cleats here and there - just to keep it from moving. I can pop those out later with the multi tool in no time.

Plenty of more pictures in the gallery, some videos up at our Facebook page

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 am
by Cracker Larry
Looks good 8) I don't do facebook.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:22 am
by tech_support

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:39 am
by AtTheBrink
The rounded sided look awesome. I think that alone is going to really make this boat standout. And that transom is cool too. Very retro looking. Good job guys. Those puzzle joints turned out nice and neat, I like that.

And I am with Larry, I don't do facebook.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:38 pm
by jorgepease
This is going to be very cool!!

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:08 am
by topwater
Are those puzzle joints that strong that you don't need a layer of glass :?: I know there is a lot more
surface area for the glue but was wondering about when the boat hull is working under way .
This is a very cool project .

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:05 am
by jacquesmm
Yes, the puzzle joints are strong enough for the hull assembly. One of the advantages is that they don't produce the extra thickness of the fiberglass splice = less sanding. Also, no flat spot as with the butt blocks.

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:53 am
by tech_support

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:34 pm
by AtTheBrink
Looks ready for glue! Are y'all glassing this week?

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:57 pm
by tech_support
Yes! Im actually a day behind on the thread update. The stitches are pulled, edges rounded over and its ready for glass. This afternoon we are getting all the stuff together for tomorrow's glassing and also cleaning up. Will post pictures of the rounding/shaping.

what it looked like this morning after a night for the putty/glue to cure...

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:10 pm
by peter-curacao

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:15 pm
by tech_support
caught up the picture uploads, this is what it look like now, right before glass...

Rough shaped the edges with the angle grinder and 24 grit disc, carefully :) Cuts right through the zip ties too. Put a radius on on all edges that will allow for the 12 oz biax cloth to turn. Went back over with a 60 grit on the DA sander to smooth things out. Its really not too important how much you turn the edges, later we will sharpen them back up with fairing. Right before glassing tomorrow, we will swipe epoxy putty into the stitch holes and any other little gaps that need it.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:18 pm
by tech_support
Pretty cool Peter, I know I can direct upload to youtube as well as facebook, just have not set it up to do so yet. Thanks.

Maybe I will do that tonight. :D

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:21 pm
by peter-curacao
Cracker Larry wrote:Looks good 8) I don't do facebook.
I didn't do it either in fact I hated it, but I do it now :oops:
I have to admit there are nice things to like in there like bateau but also Jarrett Bay Boatworks what lets you follow the build of a 77 footer, or marlin magazine what shows you some awesome catches, Okuma fishing and so on, o yeah it's also nice to keep in touch with overseas friends.

Joel I ripped the video from facebook with a Firefox app and posted it to youtube, did cost me 5 minutes I think, so just shout if you want me to do more

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:20 pm
by tech_support
Outside tabbing complete, 2 layers 12 oz biax. Started by filling any remaining stitch holes or gaps with epoxy putty (silica/woodflour), then taped right over the still wet putty.

tomorrow will sand the tape (knock down the glass stitching and bevel the ovelaps), then put on the wide cloth. Have not decided how to do the overlaps, but I want to avoid an overlap on the side panels

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:11 pm
by AtTheBrink
What are the dimensions of the panels? Bottom panel width and side panel width? An dthis thing is 16 or 17 feet long right?
How amny layers of 12oz are going on the bottom? And are you going to put an extra layer between the keel and chine to fill in the area caused by the tape like you did on your FS17? I read that thread about one week after I had glassed the bottom of my boat and kicked myself the whole time I fairing... That won't happen again. :D

The boat is looking good! Can't wait to see how the engine goes in. Thanks for documenting all the step for us Joel.

P.S. I found that color chart! Evidently I put it where the kids wouldn't mess with it and it wouldn't get lost :oops:. Worked a little too good! But it is in the mail on it's way home. I am so sorry it has taken so long.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:24 pm
by jacquesmm
As it is now, the hull is 17' 6".
No scantlings, the design is not finished but we have built many hulls of that type.
This hull is a little wider than the RB16 with more dead rise.

This is a very different design schedule: we build a hull and solve the problems as we go.
As soon as Joel gets the engine in there, I will design the cockpit and framing.
We'll sit around it and discuss the options.
There are several ways to weld the jet drive to the hull . . . suspense.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:39 pm
by Ziess
Man, if only you guys had started this before I did I might have had some success!

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27596

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:16 am
by tech_support
It reminds me of what R.P. McMurphy said in Cuckcoo's Nest "At least I tried, at least I did that" :)

At least part of your issue was due to the flat bottom. Its difficult to feed clean water to the pump with a flat bottom. This boat has a dihedral bottom, a slight but constant "v" for the running surface

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:43 pm
by tech_support
Half the hull is covered with wide biax cloth. Started by grinding down the tape overlaps, then sanding the stitching off the tape.

I then squeegeed on a very thin layer of epoxy slurry to fill in weave holes and make a smooth transition for wide cloth to go over tabbing (did not get picture of this)

Then we put on the cloth dry, and wet it out.

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:44 pm
by tech_support
Your seeing it here first :!: :wink: :)
Have a happy weekend.

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:47 pm
by peter-curacao
shine wrote:Your seeing it here first :!: :wink: :)
Have a happy weekend.
LOL :lol: :lol: happy weekend to you to!
Looks great btw 8)

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:26 pm
by jorgepease
Good looking boat, how fast will it run approx... Doesn't look like its going to weigh much, that baby should fly!

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:36 pm
by Cracker Larry
Your seeing it here first :!: :wink: :)
As it should be :D It looks great 8)

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:44 pm
by tobolamr
Looking good!

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:34 pm
by tech_support

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:39 pm
by AMC
This boat has some great, smooth curves to it. Considering this, will you want a hard edge on the chine, or will you leave it soft and flowing like the rest of the boat?

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:43 pm
by tech_support
AMC wrote:This boat has some great, smooth curves to it. Considering this, will you want a hard edge on the chine, or will you leave it soft and flowing like the rest of the boat?
Edges will be sharpened, especially those on the running surface (chine/sides and transom/bottom) sides/transom will be rounded a little as will the bow. Might even have some stainless pieces made to cover the edges 8)

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:39 pm
by tech_support
Outside glass complete for now. Next step is to flip her over and fit in the jet drive :D

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... _01_23.jpg

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:56 pm
by peter-curacao
shine wrote:Outside glass complete for now. Next step is to flip her over and fit in the jet drive :D

Man you're working clean, almost not a drop of epoxy on that floor 8O

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:59 pm
by TRC886
peter-curacao wrote:
shine wrote:Outside glass complete for now. Next step is to flip her over and fit in the jet drive :D

Man you're working clean, almost not a drop of epoxy on that floor 8O
Comes from being a professional :wink: :P

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:05 pm
by peter-curacao
TRC886 wrote: Comes from being a professional :wink: :P
Not having a trade breeze also helps I think :) :doh:

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 pm
by TRC886
peter-curacao wrote:Not having a trade breeze also helps I think :) :doh:
Undoubtedly :wink:
Me thinks trade breezes also encourage rum drinks, do they not :lol:

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:11 am
by tech_support
:D there are a few drip off the transom, its upside down, so its not easy wetting out.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:45 am
by tech_support
Yesterday we cut out the jet drive along with a section of the hull. The hull section is undoubtedly too large, but I want to get it fitted in there with plenty of overlap before final trimming. This jet-ski has the hull thickness of a 23' boat :!: We will grind/cut away as much as possible to save weight. Hope to get eh runabout hull flipped over and a hole cut out for the ski hull.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:50 am
by AtTheBrink
Really curious to see how you mate the ski hull to your new hull. Looking good.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 am
by jacquesmm
AtTheBrink wrote:Really curious to see how you mate the ski hull to your new hull. Looking good.
Epoxy magic . . . :)

There are two ways to do it:
1. take all mechanical components apart and re-install them in the new hull or
2. drop a complete assembly made from all parts and jet ski bottom in the new hull.

Number 1 requires to build a new jet enclosure and pad, engine mounts, thrust bulkhead and all brackets for exhaust, tank etc while #2 should be easier. All the components are in there properly lined up but the seam between the propulsion unit and the new hull is more delicate.
I checked a number of jet skis and they ll have about the same deadrise, constant for the 1st 6' and same general set up. The bottom of the Jet-About (temp name) is designed to take that bottom with jetski bottom sticking out max. 1" and blending in the new bottom after 6'.

We'll see very soon if we were right . . . :?:

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:42 pm
by AMC
Well, if you feel the same way I do about jet skis, I would bet you enjoyed taking a saw to one. Might I suggest taking a hammer to whats left, could be very cathartic.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:55 pm
by jacquesmm
That was part of the fun :D

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:36 pm
by tech_support
Yesterday we madde some progress.....

Flipped the hull, we picked it up of the molds and then rolled it over on some cardboard. Nice to roll it over without worrying about scratching paint :) For this step I just put it back on the ski trailer with some blocks on the transom, it should give me a good view of the ski/boat bottom connection. Will leave the molds in for now, cutting out the center portion of the last three so we can set the ski hull inside. You can see from the marks on the hull about where the ski hull will protrude from the bottom of the boat. The top of the ski hull will then become the base for the swim platform/chine fender. This will also allow us to keep the entire exhaust system of the ski, even the drain plug :)

Cut away some more of the jet-ski hull. The hole in the hull (for now) is right at the first chine in the ski hull (19" wide). Once we find a good position, we will epoxy the ski hull into place, we kept a goo portion of the ski hull wider than the 19" hole to act as as flange for bonding.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:14 pm
by tobolamr
Ooooh a little closer every day.... I'm really looking forward to seeing you guys pull this together!

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:17 pm
by jorgepease
very interesting!

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:36 pm
by peter-curacao
shine wrote:Y where the ski hull will protrude from the bottom of the boat. The top of the ski hull will then become the base for the swim platform/chine fender. This will also allow us to keep the entire exhaust system of the ski, even the drain plug :)
That's clever 8)

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:30 pm
by Stuff
Man that is cool. When I went to ST. Thomas I took a ride in the "Flying Eagle". The boat has a jet proportion system and it can turn in a dime. It was the coolest ride I have ever take in a boat. This runabout with a jetski motor is going to be a fun ride.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:46 pm
by tech_support
not much to report, we have been catching up on orders :D

We did cut a big hole in the bottom of the boat yesterday 8O This afternoon we are going to see how the jetdrive and jet-ski hull mesh with the hole

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:49 am
by chicagoross
:D Gotta say, the rounded transom and tumblehome are a sexy combination! Sure isn't going to look like a slab-sided plywood boat! :D

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:01 pm
by tobolamr
That is a hole... I am looking forward to seeing this progress!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:51 pm
by tech_support

dry fitted, need to make the hole a touch longer so ski-hull can drop the rest of the way in towards the front.

Once Im happy with the fit, will pull the ski hull out and remove some more fiberglass, leaving a nice flange for bonding.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:57 pm
by AMC
This is a design, that I have absolutely no use for, find zero need for it, and in many ways it seems utterly useless. And yet, I love it. Perhaps it is the lack of purpose, the fact that it is purely a boat of leisure that makes it so enticing. Your doing a first rate job of it!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 pm
by jorgepease
So does the forward force from the jet get transferred to the bottom of hull mostly or to the transom?

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:46 pm
by tech_support
So does the forward force from the jet get transferred to the bottom of hull mostly or to the transom?
pushing force is transfered to the hull bottom via a thrust bearing of sorts, its also the coupling to the motor. That thrust coupling is bonded to a fiberglass part that is bedded to the bottom of the jetski hull. In this case, we take all that with us from the ski, so the pushing from the ski hull to the jetabout hull will happen all around where we bond it in; big overlaps and plenty of glass.

had we not used the motor mounts and thrust bearing from the donor ski, we would need to make a floor frame glass to teh hull bottom and sides that would take the force.

This is a design, that I have absolutely no use for, find zero need for it, and in many ways it seems utterly useless.
This is a design, that I have absolutely no use for, find zero need for it, and in many ways it seems utterly useless. And yet, I love it. Perhaps it is the lack of purpose, the fact that it is purely a boat of leisure that makes it so enticing. Your doing a first rate job of it!
Yes, this will be the only boat I have ever owned without a rod holder :) It will get used though :wink: Trips to the sand bar with family and just plain boat rides when the ocean is too nasty for fishing.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:25 pm
by AtTheBrink
Pretty Slick guys! I like it! I know that the idea has been batted around and deemed unfit, but I would love to see this applied to a flats skiff! And even though this boat has no real purpose other than putting wind in your hair and a smile on the kids face, it is a whole lot better than that dang useless, annoying jetski!
Great build, keep the updates coming!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 pm
by peter-curacao
The jetski's aren't annoying, but most of the time the people on it are :wink: what to do with them? cut them up and glue/tape them on a Carnival cruise in the gulf of Mex.?

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:21 am
by cali123
I'm curious. :doh: Is the jet ski hull polyester resin /fiberglass or SMC? Really cool boat. 8)

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:30 pm
by Heloman78
I've been watching this site for at least at least five years, been a member for at least a couple. I've got tons of good advice from this site either directly or thorugh reading others posts; I've bought lots of materails from this site to do major repairs or crazy little projects; but I've never built a boat. I currently have three boats, they all do their jobs well, sort of a boat for all occasions; I've been really temped to dive in with a OB19, C19 or C21 but if I do that I should get rid of my main boat (Chris Craft Commander 333) becuase the day one of those boats comes on line it's the day that my Commander really becomes just a floating condo, and I just can't do that to her, she deserves better (Even though a day trip can almost pay a mortgate payment 8O ).

But this...this is a boat I don't have. I've been tempeted many times to get a jet boat just for fun but I never found one I like enough, they're so "plasticky." With the style you guys have put into this boat, if it runs good, I think this might be the one.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:48 pm
by tobolamr
Heloman - don't feel bad, I've been on this site since 2003 and still haven't built anything! So, how would you finish this out if you built one?

I see you're a fellow Wisconsinite! There was talk at one point of a Dells Builder Meet. Maybe it's time to build and then we'll have to get Jacques & Joel to fly to the landlubber state and laugh at our freshwater fishing habits. :lol:

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:03 pm
by Heloman78
tobolamr wrote:Heloman - don't feel bad, I've been on this site since 2003 and still haven't built anything! So, how would you finish this out if you built one?

I see you're a fellow Wisconsinite! There was talk at one point of a Dells Builder Meet. Maybe it's time to build and then we'll have to get Jacques & Joel to fly to the landlubber state and laugh at our freshwater fishing habits. :lol:
I think with the round transom and the tumblehome the style is pretty well set; it's screaming for lots of varnished wood( varnish over epoxy of course, with clear LPU top coat :D ) or at least lots of accent pieces, Polished stainless, dark colored sides; you know the old barrel back style but in a smaller and more modern jet boat, this thing is really going to turn some heads! But none of this is my great idea... I'm pretty sure this has been the idea all along; I don't think this one will be painted white. 8) Also, any of the builders on this site would be welcome to come for a ride with me anytime, I go on out an Lake Michigan, I don't care if anyone lauphs at my drinking...I mean fishing habits, sometimes I even catch fish. :P

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:44 am
by tech_support
cali123 wrote:I'm curious. :doh: Is the jet ski hull polyester resin /fiberglass or SMC? Really cool boat. 8)
yes, its just polyester with plenty of matt, very thick.

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:36 am
by cali123
Thanks.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:16 am
by tech_support
spring rush on orders, slowed progress - but we will take more of hose slow downs :wink: :)

I took a little more material out of the jetski hull, making a nice flange for gluing. epoxy glued the ski hull into the boat, injected epoxy glue with caulk tubes all around where the two pieces meet. Even after four tube of putty, there is still a very big gap between pieces, so I filled it with expanding foam. Later this will be shaped so we can glass from the boat hull overlapping to the inside of the ski hull (a lot of glass :wink: )

Flipped her back over to glass and fair the bottom. Put some braces across the cuts we made in the molds. Rolled her in straps.

Not sure how far Im going to take it before flipping back over, will at least fair in the jet pad, sharpen chines, add chine flats to the hull. I think I want to put the swim platform and chine fender on right side up.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:52 am
by Boater45
She already looks fast!! 8)

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:15 pm
by albatross1954
Hi everyone ! This new design reminds me of the VW Buggy from the late 60´s ! More power to you! :D

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:42 pm
by tech_support
glassed in. Tomorrow will grind/sand and hit it with some fairing

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:11 pm
by tobolamr
Coolio. I didn't expect to see the jet ski hull extend past the transom. But, as you said - swim platform! 'sno problem!

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:21 am
by dborecky
I just came in to check this out.... I like this project and can't wait to see this thing come together. Any glasses in pinpcs yet...

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:05 am
by tech_support
Back at it ....

Making a strake on either side of the hull. Decided to make them molded with epoxy/glass filler. Used a piece of trim as a damn (covered in clear packing tape), hot glued to the hull surface to hold in place. Flat section of strake has a slight reverse angle relative to hull bottom, so it should lift a bit as well.

took about a quart of epoxy to make it

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:36 pm
by wegcagle
Great idea. That's one I will have to file in the memory bank. You could probably use the exact same method to make a reverse chine as well.

Are you going to them with directional glass or do you think the glass filler/wood filler/epoxy mix will hold up over time?

Will

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 am
by tech_support
Are you going to them with directional glass or do you think the glass filler/wood filler/epoxy mix will hold up over time?
Will, they are pretty darn hard with the chapped glass and milled fibers.

Was able to get back to the boat building yesterday, for a little while anyway. Put the first skim layer of fairing on the hull. Using the blended filler at this point for faring. Next, the bottom will get hit with the long flexible fairing board and the sides will get skimmed with fairing.

The tumblehome needs to look perfect. Its easier to do this by fairing the sides as a single surface (before add the swim platform/chine fender). This creates the problem of bonding the chine fender to pre-faired surface, so I will have to go back and grind out a "path" to properly bond the chine fender to the hull glass. It just A LOT easier to fair a single surface vs. trying to blend two together (what I would have to do if I fair sides after chine fender installation)

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:48 am
by tech_support

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:23 pm
by peter-curacao
Nicely done with the chine fenders flowing into the swimming platform, very nice 8)

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:31 pm
by tobolamr
x2!

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:36 pm
by tech_support
Thanks Peter :)

Here are some from today, after I put a coat of pigmented epoxy on the swim platform.

The swim platform is inline with the chine fender. Its cut from the CNC machine, but becasue of all the glass over laps on the side/transom, its does not fit just perfect. The first layer is cut from 12mm 1/2" to get the shape, after that I laminated on two layers of 1/4" to give the thickness. I did not like the shape of the chine fender (looked too much like a wing) so I used the layers of 1/4" as a trimming line. Then I added 1/2" pieces to the rest to build 1" thickness all around.

Later, I will round over and cover in cloth. It (swim flatform/chine fender) is going to get a nice piece of SS rubrail extrusion to match the one that will go on the sheer.

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:13 pm
by Prarie Dog
Looks awesome Joel, great work :!: :!:

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:19 pm
by wegcagle
Beautiful. That looks great!

Will

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:34 am
by AtTheBrink
Good to see progress on this project. I really like how it is turning out. Good job guys.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:44 am
by tech_support
with any luck, she is going to get her first coat of primer tomorrow :)

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:47 pm
by AtTheBrink
Have you decided what color you are going paint the hull? Red would look good, or a blue.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:53 pm
by tech_support
Have you decided what color you are going paint the hull? Red would look good, or a blue.
I like red, a lot :wink: Red and black would be nice for this UGA bulldog, but since we are in south Florida Im afraid it would not be too practical. Decks will be bright finished. Maybe a red boot stripe and/or a race stripe in red 8)

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:00 pm
by jacquesmm
I like red very much, it goes well with varnished wood trim or a teak deck.
Not everything has to orange, blue and green in Florida.

Unfortunately, red is every sensitive to UV's but I would still do it.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:18 pm
by gstanfield
As a Georgia boy myself (temporarily displaced....) I'd vote for Red & Black myself 8)

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:30 pm
by Joe H
I like red too, I used Mahagany Red on my p19, it makes the varnished windsheild POP! :!:
Joe H

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:11 am
by wegcagle

8)

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:20 am
by tech_support
"river dog" :)

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:35 pm
by tech_support
A couple coats of primer so we can see whats left to fix before flipping.....

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:28 pm
by AtTheBrink
This is looking great! Couple of questions. Did you tape the swim platform to the hull? I didn't see it any of the pictures. The next is about the drive system. Y'all have said that this type of drive needs some V to the hull, just how much deadrise is needed? I am looking for a minimum number here. Interested to see what other hulls in your line this propulsion system could be adapted to.

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:57 pm
by peter-curacao
Joel probably I'm asking something stupid or not fully understanding what you are doing, still I like you to ask why not fill the space between the black lines(pic) in any way you like?

Boat looks great! 8)

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 am
by tech_support
Joel probably I'm asking something stupid or not fully understanding what you are doing, still I like you to ask why not fill the space between the black lines(pic) in any way you like?
Did not really see a reason to, plus it would be more work. :)

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:12 pm
by peter-curacao
shine wrote:
Did not really see a reason to, plus it would be more work. :)
Okay clear answer, not sure but I just thought it would look less like the boat is giving birth to a jetski 8)

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:38 pm
by pee wee
Once it's flipped over and sitting in the water, you probably won't see that part of the boat. :?:

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:19 pm
by jacquesmm
AtTheBrink wrote:This is looking great! Couple of questions. Did you tape the swim platform to the hull? I didn't see it any of the pictures. The next is about the drive system. Y'all have said that this type of drive needs some V to the hull, just how much deadrise is needed? I am looking for a minimum number here. Interested to see what other hulls in your line this propulsion system could be adapted to.
I measured a number of jetskis before designing the hull and they all have about the same deadrise: 18 to 20 degrees.
The deadrise takes a turn, gets softer close to the pad, to almost blend in the flat pad.
Depending on where you cut the glass around the jet unit, you can adjust the deadrise to almost any hull deadrise as long as it has some.
This hull has 7.5 degrees deadrise.
Many years ago, we tested a PH18 hull with an OMC 90HP jet. The set up looked very much the same and the Phantoms have only 6 degrees deadrise.
I would not put the jet unit on a flat bottom boat. It has been done, it works but it ventilates.
Bottom line: it could fit most of our boats except the flat bottom ones.

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:28 pm
by Heloman78
Will this boat be allowed to run very light glass above the swim platform for a bright finish since the jet/engine loads seem to be on the bottom of the boat? This thing really looks Awesome!

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:58 pm
by AtTheBrink
jacquesmm wrote:
AtTheBrink wrote:This is looking great! Couple of questions. Did you tape the swim platform to the hull? I didn't see it any of the pictures. The next is about the drive system. Y'all have said that this type of drive needs some V to the hull, just how much deadrise is needed? I am looking for a minimum number here. Interested to see what other hulls in your line this propulsion system could be adapted to.
I measured a number of jetskis before designing the hull and they all have about the same deadrise: 18 to 20 degrees.
The deadrise takes a turn, gets softer close to the pad, to almost blend in the flat pad.
Depending on where you cut the glass around the jet unit, you can adjust the deadrise to almost any hull deadrise as long as it has some.
This hull has 7.5 degrees deadrise.
Many years ago, we tested a PH18 hull with an OMC 90HP jet. The set up looked very much the same and the Phantoms have only 6 degrees deadrise.
I would not put the jet unit on a flat bottom boat. It has been done, it works but it ventilates.
Thanks Joel, I am kicking some ideas around for the next boat. I like the Runabout hull, it is light, has enough width, a shallow draft and that really cool tumblehome that you just don't see anymore. Is it possible to build a flats skiff with this hull and keep the tumblehome at the stern?

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:25 am
by tech_support
you could, but it would be for styling only. There are much better hull shapes for flats fishing.

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:07 pm
by tech_support
Got a little work done on her today...sanded the primer we put on (last Friday :? ) and touched up the last bits of fairing on the bottom. After we sand this, we will give the bottom a graphite coating and flip her back over :D

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:03 pm
by glossieblack
Love how this project is evolving. What's your guesstimate of draft at rest and running?

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:42 pm
by tech_support
Love how this project is evolving. What's your guesstimate of draft at rest and running?
I do not have that handy, sorry.

Put a couple coats of graphite/epoxy on the bottom. Now I just need to build a cradle to roll her over on.

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:50 pm
by AtTheBrink
How in the world did you get it that smooth in just 2 coats!?!?! I never did get mine that slick... Roller stipple just wouldn't lay down.

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:52 pm
by tech_support
I dunoh :doh:

first coat is 9 oz of epoxy and about 2.5 oz graphite, second was 9 oz epoxy and about 1.5 oz graphite.

Used a large roller cover (yellow 7" type) and poured it out quickly

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:07 pm
by AtTheBrink
I think it might have been too cold when I did mine, the epoxy might have been too thick, or I mixed in too much graphite. Oh well, it's done now. Yours looks great! Are y'all flipping her now?

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:33 am
by tcason
helpful tutorial

Cracker Larry graphite finish

Rule number 1. Work when it is as hot as possible. I'm not kidding. When I put the first coats of graphite on this boat it was still cool weather and no matter what I did, I got lumps, clumps and bubbles. Have you ever tried to stir powdered coffee creamer into cold coffee? It doesn't hardly dissolve. Stir it into warm coffee and it instantly dissolves. Same for the graphite powder. The last coats were done in the middle of the day, outside temp was about 104, the epoxy temp was near 100. The powder mixes completely and it flows out like water. In the heat of the day the epoxy obviously cures fast, so you have to work fast. This is a big advantage because the faster it cures, the less time it has to accumulate bugs, dust, dog hair and other trash.

Rule 2. Sift the graphite twice, but don't turn the crank or squeeze the handle on the sifter mechanism, just shake the sifter lightly and collect what passes through easily. Discard the rest. This boat needs 9 ounces of mixed epoxy for a full coat, to that I add 3 ounces (volume) of sifted powder.

Rule 3. Mix the resin and hardener completely before adding the graphite, stir it very good, then let it sit a minute before using. This will let any chunks settle to the bottom of the cup. Pour it out slowly and evenly over the entire bottom of the boat, but don't pour out the last 1/2 ounce or so in the bottom of the cup. This is where the uglies live, and they are best left in the cup

Rule 4. Do not use a foam roller, it induces bubbles and usually foam fragments too. I got the best results using a 3/8 nap roller made for glossy acrylic latex kitchen and bath paint. Premium grade, from Lowes. Use a full size roller, the smaller ones leave a lot of roller marks, the wide ones not so much. Roll it out completely in every direction with a lot of pressure, then roll it lightly in one direction only to remove the roller edge lines and smooth it all out.

Rule 5. Roll it out very thin and use multiple coats. I wet sanded with 120 grit between each coat, then before the last coat I scrubbed with a Scotchbrite pad and water. You do not want to dry sand this stuff

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:42 am
by tech_support
Are y'all flipping her now?
Have to build a cradle......

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:14 pm
by tech_support
put this together this morning. plan to roll it over this afternoon......when we have some shade. :!:

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:11 pm
by AtTheBrink
Good luck on flipping the boat over. Looking forward to seeing the inside.

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:36 am
by tech_support
We flipped it Friday :) Rolled it over onto its new cradle. This week we will start on the topside fairing (top of swim platform and sheer), then we build the inside :)

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:21 am
by tech_support
working on the top side of the swim platform, then I will laminate a couple layers of wood for the rubrail.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:10 am
by tech_support
glassed over the top of the swim platform and tabbed it to the hull on the topside.

Laminated 2 layers of 6mm to the outside sheer to make a rubrail. Used the same technique I used on the FS17, works great and its fast. I was able to do all but one layer on one side in one day, but you could do the whole rubrail in one day. I use the gelmagic cartridges and that glue is pretty hard in 4 hours with today's heat, so you can put down two layers (one per side) in the morning, then the second later in the day.

clamp the piece so it nice and fair ( no epoxy yet, just dry fit)

drill pilot holes

use drywall screw to snug the piece up where you want it

remove clamps and move on to the next piece.

remove strips, leave screws barely in the strip.

put some epoy glue on the strip and screw it back on the boat.

Pay attention to the way the strip want to bend and nudge your pilot hole/screw location so that it pulls the strip flush to the surface of the hull. Towards the bow, it will want to pull out from the bottom side of the strip, so i put my "screw clamps" towards the bottom edge of the strip

To get a nice fair rubrail: stagger the joints of the strips so that they are not located in a place with a lot of twist (bow on most boat, transom and bow on this one :wink: ) On this boat, each layer took about 18' of strip, so I made the splice piece in the middle of the boat where it takes the shape best. In other words, you want your long parts going where there is the most twist/bend

another tip: the course coated screws work a lot better than the thin the black drywall ones. They pull better and its hard to break them off

Next step is going to be removing the molds and start glassing the inside

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:46 am
by Cracker Larry
Looking good 8)

That's exactly how I put the rub rail on the FS18. Screws are much easier and faster than clamps. Coated deck screws are great, they have a square or torx head drive, strong, and the coating doesn't bond with epoxy.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:12 pm
by tech_support
thanks Larry. :)

Took the molds out, she looks a lot better 8)

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:09 pm
by jorgepease
She looks fast just sitting there!! :)

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:23 am
by tech_support
getting back to it. Removed more of the jet skit hull, from the inside, then began glassing the boat hull tot he jet hull. Using a combination of 12 oz tape and large pieces of 1708 to bond the two together. There is still a little more glassing to do, but here are some pictures.........

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:20 pm
by AtTheBrink
Looks good and strong. Ready to see the interior come together. Is the plan to complete this and then produce plans to sell?

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:32 am
by tech_support
finished glassing the drive to hull (no picture). yesterday we completed the tabbing of the inside panels, 2 layers 12 oz. biax tape on hull joints (keel and chine).

working wet on wet: first we brushed neat epoxy over all the joints

next we made fillets using epoxy with wood flour and silica (only the keel fillet seen here)

then the two layers of tape, offset

only run as much fillet as you can lay tape over in an hour or so, you want the fillet to still be malleable

With any luck, we will have enough time to lay the wide cloth down today. Looking forward to getting the stringers and frames in next week :) Some of the frames also include deck frames (ring frames) so we will be able to see the deck camber, really get an idea of how curvacious she is 8)

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:44 am
by peter-curacao
shine wrote:Image
Wow 8O she already looks sexy 8)

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:08 pm
by robbiro
I have read this and maybe I missed it?? What are her vital statistics--length and beam, etc?
Robbie

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:02 pm
by Prarie Dog
Joel, that looks awesome!!

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:32 pm
by jacquesmm
It's 17' long and I don't remember how wide.
I am busy with an EC24 option right now but I will go back to the design of the JetAbout on Monday .
I will post specs and a drawing preview as soon as we decide what we will do about the framing and deck.
I know where the frames have to go but Joel wants to put the engine in before we make a final decision about the deck.
He has a preference for wide engine hatche(s) and I agree with that, it will look good but we'll decide when the engine is in.

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:16 pm
by tech_support
inside is glassed....

then we added the stringers. Stringers will be a little different on this boat. In stead of using full height plywood core stringers (egg crate), we are going to use preforms and PVC forms. Because each donor ski is going to be a little different, the stringer location for each boat might be different, the preforms allow us some flexibility. Also, this boat does not have a sole or floor, we need leg room for the people inside to be able to sit low, no knees-in-chest positioning.

the preforms already have glass, but the caner stinger is just light weight (irrigation grade) PVC, covered in a layer of 1708 and 2 layers of 12 oz. We roughed up the hull bottom before glassing. Where the PVC takes a bend, we just kerf it every 6" or so and it lays in there perfect

grinding a path for the stringers...

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:56 am
by AtTheBrink
Looks great! I like those stringers. Are those preforms available in the store? Are there going to be standard stringers in the rear of the hull?

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:54 am
by tcason
I used the preforms in my Garvey 13 they were easy to install but really sucked the epoxy.
I would use them again on next build if no issues ounce she floats.

Make sure you peel off the grey felt bottom before installing to use less epoxy.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:13 pm
by tech_support
Make sure you peel off the grey felt bottom before installing to use less epoxy.
I had a rep from the company here a few times and I don't remember that being discussed. I thought i remember him saying it was important for a good bond :doh: Well, with epoxy you will be OK, 90% of the people who use those stiffeners are using them with polyester.

Are those preforms available in the store?
Yes sir :!:
Are there going to be standard stringers in the rear of the hull?
aft of the engine room bulkhead I will build a stringer that will double as the side of a box filled with foam for buoyancy.

Yesterday I cut the main three frames/bulkhead and tacked them in place. Today they get glassed in. There are more floor frames and deck beam that go in next.

notching the frames to account for stringers and the glass on the chine.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:05 pm
by jacquesmm
On the plans, I will show low profile plywood stringers as an option but the Preform ones are much better in this case since there is no sole.

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:14 am
by tech_support
main frames are glassed in, and now we are putting in some of the deck beams and frames that will define both of the cockpits.

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:30 pm
by gk108
This is another one of those boats that looks like it is going fast even when sitting still. 8)

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:52 am
by AtTheBrink
Any new progress to report?

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:05 pm
by tech_support
working on her this afternoon. :) ..... At the point where we have to start rigging the engine back up, along with everything else. Cant finish the deck beams over the motor compartment without putting motor in. Also fuel tanks, seats, etc.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:40 am
by tech_support
a little progress.

made a platform for the fuel tank. Used some scrap plywood strips, made a trapazoid shape that fit the rough shape, then took offset measurement to use to trace the curvature of the hull.

under the fuel tank shelf is filled with foam, then its going to be covered in glass

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 161859.jpg

Started putting some of the exhaust parts back in temporarily just to make sure nothing interferes.... sell, somethign interferes :| It pretty minor, just have to move one of the mufflers

You can see also that I started glassing in the boxes that will double as stringers and flotation for the sides of the engine room. Each box is about 3.7 cubic feet, so thats about 500 pounds of buoyancy right there.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:12 pm
by Cannonball
Not trying to derail your thread here Shine, but I just caught up on the build here and saw the discussion at the beginning of using the same principal in a flats boat. Friend of mine made this from an old fiberglass redfish donor boat he cut the sides off of and a jet ski of craigslist. He totally engineered it himself mkaing it up as he went. I've been on it, and it works good enough to go 45mph in 4-5" of water all day long. I went out on a weeded up lake with it, and it did bog a bit here and there but for the most part chewed the grass up and spit it out the back. It would be interesting to see what ya'll could come up with along these lines.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:48 pm
by jacquesmm
While I do not plan to design new hulls specifically for jet drive, we will sell the plans for the JetAbout (Runabout with Jet drive) with detailed instructions.
We could sell a separate set of instructions for some of our flats boats but once Joel finishes this write up, it should be sufficient to install a jet drive in almost any boat. Joel shows lots of pictures and show what materials he used. He solved most of the problems an amateur could encounter.
Joel will almost certainly put all his "research" together in a file that will be free to download or view online.

About flats boats, almost 20 years ago, the defunct OMC test center bought a PH18 hull to install a jet drive in it, 90 HP. We simply cut a small flat pad in the vee of the bottom to receive the drive unit and that's all.
It worked but the engine was sticking out above deck in an ugly box. Not as bad as in your picture but still not very elegant.

Testing was OK, the boat was fast, about 45 mph if I remember well but I would not use it as a flats boat. All that sand and junk in the drive will quickly damage the impeller. That's what the OMC guy told us.

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:53 am
by Cannonball
I'm sure y'all would have plenty of interest for a detailed set of instructions for modifying the jet ski for use in a hull. It is a very economical means of building a shallow water craft.

As for the boat in the picture, though not very elegant, it is cool and a cheaper shallow water machine can't be had, except by maybe an fs18 with a 25 hp jet drive 8)

Funny you mention the ph18. A friend of mine who has been helping me just bought those plans and we had them spread out on the table looking at how we were going to Add a delta pad and shallow jet tunnel last night. I'll get him to start his own thread on that one...

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:10 am
by AtTheBrink
Could you please explain/describe what a delta pad is?

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:46 pm
by Cannonball
A pie shaped flat spot on the bottom of a v hull. You see them in white water jet boats, racing boats, and now in high horspower bass boats.

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:39 am
by tech_support
made buoyancy compartments in the stern, filled with foam, and will glass over

Started building the seats, they are temporally held together with screws. Put some tack welds of epoxy fillet putty on them this a.m., then will glass the insides of the box to the hull.

platform for fuel tank, it covered in a layer of 1708

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:56 am
by AtTheBrink
Joel, are you going to use a throttle lever, a hot foot or something else? It's looking good, thats going to be a fun little boat. And fast!!

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:59 am
by tech_support
Was planning on the hot foot. Debating putting in shoulder harnesses :D

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:54 am
by tech_support

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:53 am
by adrock1
I'm really enjoying this thread. I'll be starting an RB16 in the next couple months so its great.

Those fiberglass stringers are really intriguing. Much lower profile than plywood stringers. Could I omit the plywood stringers in my RB16 and use the fiberglass variety instead as you have here? It really will clean up the floor in the absence of a raised sole.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, just found those really interesting.

Adrock1

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:03 pm
by wegcagle
Looks great. This little guy is going to fly 8)

Will

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:56 pm
by Prarie Dog
shine wrote:Was planning on the hot foot. Debating putting in shoulder harnesses :D
Don't forget the roll bar. :D

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:02 pm
by Boater45
And drag chute :lol:

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:03 pm
by 94Virago
Prarie Dog wrote:
shine wrote:Was planning on the hot foot. Debating putting in shoulder harnesses :D
And ejection seats.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:22 pm
by tech_support
Much lower profile than plywood stringers. Could I omit the plywood stringers in my RB16 and use the fiberglass variety instead as you have here?
no, they do not offer same stiffness. You can post the question in a new thread :wink: and we can discuss your options
And ejection seats.
And drag chute
:)

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:51 pm
by Shamrock Kid
And ejection seats.
And drag chute

Don't forget about a turbo and some nitrous to boot. 8)

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:08 pm
by peter-curacao
:roll: Don't forget the beer and/or booze 8)

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:41 pm
by bigtalljv
peter-curacao wrote::roll: Don't forget the beer and/or booze 8)
and the cup holders for said beverages...

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:58 am
by tech_support
making a floor for the rear cockpit. Just a piece that will span over the stiffeners, makes draining easier, also fairing easier. Will fill under it with foam. Epoxy coating the bottom of the floor piece and also the bottom of the seat tops while Im at it.

epoxy glued down

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:01 pm
by jacquesmm
Joel started installing the dashboard with steering and controls.
This requires some creativity . . . be patient. He will fine tune the ergonomics :D

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:38 am
by tech_support
rear flotation cells filled, ground flush and covered with glass/pigmented epoxy.

cockpit floor glassed in, as well as a few pieces to frame in the rear cockpit dash.

starting to fair the front of the boat. Gave the front a pass of fairing (blended filler), then followed it up wet on wet with a coat of pigmented epoxy. Saved a sanding step :) The very front does not need any more, just one more coat of pigmented epoxy and that part is done.

Next step is to install the engine and gas tank, get everything rigged and working. Do not want to go any further until I know everything works right. Will have to extend some of the cables and some of the wiring, but it should not be too bad.

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:49 am
by tech_support
Dropped in the motor, and have begun to put things together. I have only one area of interference which will require a new section of exhaust hose to fix, no big deal. The plan is to get everything hooked up and run it, just to make certain everything works before putting the deck on.

Need to extend the control cables. Steering and the reverse/hood cables are going to need a junction box of sorts. I one that is used for combining cables for 2nd stations (flybridge controls) but they are $250 each, I can make somethign that will work better for this application and save $500. Throttle for this motor is just a simple cable (just ski used a thumb lever like a bike brake), so it wont be any problem to route a new/longer one the hot foot throttle.

Once the motor is all hooked up, I will also need to extend some of the wire harnesses. There is the instrument panel and also the wires running up to the fuel tank

Gas tank is located and partially secured. Its sitting on neoprene strips and supported at 4 points. The tank was molded to fit the jetski hull, so it woudl not fit very well in any position in the boat. My solution was to foam it in underneath and strap it in over top.

Making two small cooler from outside compartments under the rear cockpit seat, maybe enough for a lunch and refreshments

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:19 am
by Joe H
If this thing runs as good as she looks you are going to have one BAD ASS little boat!

Looking good Joel.

Do you have a color scheme yet?

Joe H

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:06 pm
by tech_support
If this thing runs as good as she looks you are going to have one BAD ASS little boat!

Looking good Joel.

Do you have a color scheme yet?
Thanks Joe :) I think it will be a very fun river toy. Not sure about colors, but Im leaning towards red/black

Making brackets to hold engine components. Many of the engine parts were fastened to the inside of the jet ski hull, so I get those part hanging in their appropriate location so as to limit the amount of new parts needed.

extending steering, throttle, reverse hood linkages.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:17 am
by tech_support
The inside is basically finished, longitudinal stiffeners are in for the deck. Seats tops are glassed in and the hatches cut.

All the stiffeners are made from laminated plywood. All the clamps were busy with other things, so I used screws to glue the strips up, backed out screws later.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:27 am
by peter-curacao
Sweet 8) 8) can't wait see her flying over the water :D

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:18 pm
by SG87
Are you planning on making a single cockpit with a single bench? And if so will the be an option for a bigger cockpit?

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:13 pm
by SG87
Nvm just saw the picture on Facebook

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:28 pm
by ks8
way 8)

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:11 pm
by tech_support

All primed, one last faring pass for the inside, then paint, then decking it. Leaving the underside of the deck bright, also there are two bright finished panels to divide the cockpits and one that separates the front cockpit from the gas tank. It should look pretty cool.

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:12 am
by willg
It already looks pretty cool ...

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:51 am
by tech_support
making progress....

Cutting strips for the deck.

We are using 9mm Okoume strips that will be spaced at 1/8" apart, will use Black epoxy to fill the gap (black accent lines). I am coating the underside of the strips with 3 coats of epoxy.

The cockpits are ready for paint, just waiting for it to come in. once the inside is painted, the stripping starts, wood stripping :)

Here are a couple shots of a panel I am making using a carbon fiber/kevlar hybrid cloth. Dash panels for both cockpits will be cut from this. The kevlar is colored RED..... I guess you can see a color scheme emerging 8) The panels are darker than what the picture shows, more black than red

There will be a 8" wide stripe of paint (RED) on the deck following the sheer around, maybe a center stripe too. Outside hull will be a white of some sort, with a red boot stripe. Cushions will be either red or white with red piping.

there are two wood panels that are bright finished, one separates the two cockpits, the other separates the gas tank compartment from the forward cockpit.

I hope to get the cockpit painted this week so we can start on the deck next week.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:10 am
by AtTheBrink
Love that Kevlar/Carbon fiber panel! That paint scheme is going to look sharp. Lovin' all of it!

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:25 pm
by ks8
awhile back there was a post with a link to a very custom glass manufacturer, one who supplies hybrid weave patterns and fibers. is that where you sourced this patterned cloth? would you re-post the link? :)

(I couldn,'t find it)

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:57 pm
by peter-curacao
Joel, why cut the deck strips all the way trough? and not just carve the ply sheet and fill the carve with black epoxy, are you gonna bend those strips?

Boat looks super cool 8) 8) 8)

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:19 pm
by tech_support
Peter, it wont take the shape, but that was my first instinct :) We tried to make it work with a layer of 4mm ply, just too much shape for a solid sheet.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:22 pm
by dbcrx
Those carbon/Kevlar cloths do look quite cool, but bear in mind you can't sand the stuff as it just fluffsup. Therefore you need to make sure you have a nice thick gel/clearcoat in the mold (or applied on top before it's cured) instead of making the piece then sanding for clearcoat.

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:19 am
by Walkers Run
What will the sun do to the black epoxy?

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:08 am
by tech_support
but bear in mind you can't sand the stuff as it just fluffsup.
thats right, it has 3 coats over it now :wink: not my first time working with it.

Going to test how well the CNC machine will cut it today.
What will the sun do to the black epoxy?
heat it up :) It will only be 1/8" wide and it will be flow coated with a of UV resistant epoxy over top. boat will be covered probably 99% of its life, so Im not worried about it

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:36 pm
by AtTheBrink
Joel, did you vacuum bag the carbon/Kevlar. Or did you lay it up just like glass? I'm curious because I would like the give carbon fiber a try but not sure how to work with it.

How did the CNC machine do cutting that stuff? Start a fire, burn up bits? :help:

8) :D

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:12 am
by Aripeka Angler
Nice looking work Joel 8) I have a small job coming up in Vero Beach in a couple of weeks, I plan to stop and check out your build and facility if that's ok.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:37 am
by tech_support
Aripeka Angler wrote: I have a small job coming up in Vero Beach in a couple of weeks, I plan to stop and check out your build and facility if that's ok.
Please do Richard, look forward to seeing you :)
did you vacuum bag the carbon/Kevlar. Or did you lay it up just like glass? I'm curious because I would like the give carbon fiber a try but not sure how to work with it.
thought about it, but just went ahead with hand layup. If you were doing multiple layers, you would have to, it tend to float up. I just put one layer overtop a piece of 4mm Okoume. first coat was only to wet it out and get it laminated to the core, after that i rolled 3 more coats on to build up. If you try too much at once, it will ripple up.
How did the CNC machine do cutting that stuff? Start a fire, burn up bits?
It cut perfect :) just used a new bit, straight cut double flute carbide bit - same we use on Okoume wood.

Will post some pictures of the dash panels later today, in early this am to mix up some paint :)

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:18 am
by jacquesmm
About planking the deck.
The plan was to use pieces of plywood sheets, not planks. That is how i designed it but I was too optimistic about the developability: the plywood did not bend well enough.
With a plywood sheet, we could have routed out the shape of the fake planks.
The problem with the deck shape is the minimum required camber to give sufficient sitting room under the deck for big guys.
An easily developable deck is not as pretty but also does not have enough camber and you would hit the under deck with your knees.
It's a small boat, that problem disappears in a 19' hull.
Joel considered all kind of ways to deal with that deck but in the end, traditional planks cut from plywood were the logical solution.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:11 am
by Cracker Larry
I'm interested in how the black epoxy striping will go. Are you using graphite to make the epoxy black, or a tint?

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:34 pm
by tech_support
Cracker Larry wrote: Are you using graphite to make the epoxy black, or a tint?
was planning to use pigment
I'm interested in how the black epoxy striping will go.
me too :) I have some ideas on how Im going to do it without making a tremendous mess.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:40 pm
by Cracker Larry
That's what I was thinking, it's going to take a lot of taping. I'm watching :D

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:38 pm
by jacquesmm
Not taping.
Start by covering everything with a nice coat of resin, let cure.
Build your seams, let cure.
Sand the whole thing down.
The 1st coat of resin keeps the tinted stuff from penetrating the wood.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:43 pm
by tech_support
I think he means taping the underside so the epoxy does not run out. I have an idea on how Im going to do it, but I will wait to see how it works ....

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:00 pm
by dbcrx
Can you not router out a channel from one side of each strip so that the bottom of the strips touch and you're left with a channel to fill in the top.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:45 pm
by Cracker Larry
I think he means taping the underside so the epoxy does not run out.
Exactly
Can you not router out a channel from one side of each strip so that the bottom of the strips touch and you're left with a channel to fill in the top.
Good idea 8)

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:13 pm
by Joe H
Yep, Dave's on to something there, the conventional way would be to cut your 1/2" thick planks about 1 1/2 wide then cut a 1/8th" slot about 1/4" deep on each side of the plank on a table saw and butt the pieces together to create your 1/4 by 1/4" groves, fill those groves with marine caulk that is specifically made for that purpose and cover the whole thing with a good marine varnish.
The problem with filling the groves with epoxy, besides the mess, is it will level out, even if you use thickened epoxy.

Joe H

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:47 pm
by AtTheBrink
The idea of rabbiting the edge is a good one. But I have to disagree with Joe H. If you use thickened epoxy, silica and wood flour to a peanut butter consistently, and pigment it won't run or sag. And if it does you just add a bit more. I am anxious to see what Joel has up his sleeve for this trick. :D

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:17 pm
by ks8
I would imagine being pigmented black, that silvertip slow (post-cured) is the way to go to minimize fun and games from the sun.

does anyone remember what flyonwall did with his planking?

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:05 am
by Joe H
This is a pic of my 1957 century resorter I restored, re-building the deck seams the way I described,

Also a pic of my Father-in- Law rebuilding Miss America, he taught me the method I described and his father taught it to him, and that is what he is doing in the pics,

I would not disregard a method that has been used for a lot longer then I or anyone else on this site has been around, I have also tried the thickened epoxy filling in groves, it will level off unless you make it so thick that it will be to difficult to work with, so disagree all you want, I would not risk getting a quality job on something I have worked so hard on, this is not just an opinion, I have walked the walk.
Joels a smart man I imagine he will make it work, just trying to be helpful with a heads up.

BoatLIFE Life-Calk, made for just this application.

Joe H

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:26 am
by Cracker Larry
Joe's family has been building fine wooden boat for about 100 years, he knows what he's talking about :wink:

I might be doing something like this on the GF18 I'm building. Trying to learn what I can about it.

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:20 am
by AtTheBrink
Joe H., I didn't mean to step on your toes. I guess I didn't realize how long they were :wink:
I see your way of doing thing things, beautiful work on those boats and the one you are working on now by the way, I was just saying there is more than one way to skin this cat.

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:52 pm
by jacquesmm
Joe H, tell us more about that deck in the pictures. Is he screwing the planks to a plywood "underlayment" ?

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:51 am
by stickystuff
Two hours on my knees crawling around like that would mean two weeks with a chiropractor. One reason i am not in the boat building mode anymore. i can't even bend over and work more than 10 or 15 min. at a time. To many years in construction has taken a toll on my back. Other than that its frikin beautiful. :)

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:53 am
by Joe H
Hey Ken,
Herb was 89 years old when he finished Miss America, and that was just a side job!

Jacques,
That was done with wider planks on frame, the groves were put in using the table saw and a router, no ply wood but he used West System epoxy to coat all the wood and a thickened epoxy at all joints, the joints were all filled with Calk and covered with varnish, like 8 coats of varnish. He refurbished her for a museum but I'm not sure were she's at today.
Herb passed away 2 years ago at age 92 and he was still working on building boats.

Larry,
I talked to the boys at the boat works and asked about using tinted epoxy in the groves, bottom line was why would you when there are so many good products and techniques out there specifically made for this purpose.

My toes aren't that long Mike, that's my in-laws boat works, I don't work on those boats, check it out, http://mayeaboats.com/heritage.htm

Sorry Joel, didn't mean jump on your thead.

Joe H

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:22 am
by Cracker Larry
I talked to the boys at the boat works and asked about using tinted epoxy in the groves, bottom line was why would you when there are so many good products and techniques out there specifically made for this purpose.
Agreed. I've been doing some research on this. Jamestown Distributors has some great on-line tutorials for this process 8)

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:02 am
by glossieblack
Very informative exchange of ideas - what this forum enables so well. Will be interested to see how the planks are fixed to the frames in the first place.

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:58 am
by peter-curacao
shine wrote:Peter, it wont take the shape, but that was my first instinct :) We tried to make it work with a layer of 4mm ply, just too much shape for a solid sheet.
I don't understand that it doesn't take the shape, does it have to bend to different directions?

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:05 pm
by ks8
Peter - going by the pictures on page 19, looks like that may be a reason. But it will look good. :)

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:23 am
by tech_support
peter-curacao wrote:I don't understand that it doesn't take the shape, does it have to bend to different directions?
That is right.
Will be interested to see how the planks are fixed to the frames in the first place.
that is the reason I was planning to use epoxy to fill the gaps in the planks. The strips will not be mechanically fastened to the frames (as they are in the more traditional method) Strips will be epoxied down to the tops of the frames which are only 9mm wide, so the gaps need to do a little more than just be filled, then need to be one piece. The frames are not side enough at the top to accept mechanical fasteners. Anyone building another boat like this in the future is certainly not limited to using this method for the deck, they can certainly go the traditional route.... lots of options on this boat.

I wish I would have left a lip on the bottom of each strip, would have probably made it easier.

I am pretty confident that I can mix an epoxy putty that will not level out in a 1/8" gap - at least I think I am. :D

And if it turns out to be a catastrophe, the back up plan its to fair it all out and paint the deck :wink:

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:33 am
by tech_support
Friday and Saturday I put three coats of sterling matterhorn white on the inside of the cockpits, rolled and tipped, pictures to follow. Between the seat upholstery, non-skid paint, and the dash boards there will not be much of the inside paint that shows.

close up of one of the dash panels. It gets a final flow coat before its finished

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:53 am
by ks8
Where did you source the dash material? :)

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:32 am
by tech_support
made the dash panels from a layer of carbon/kevlar hybrid cloth, over a 4mm Okoume core, 10 oz woven cloth on back.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:06 pm
by ks8
who was the supplier for the cloth? :)

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:16 pm
by glossieblack
Would it be possible to make say 2400 long x ?? wide x 9mm thick sheets of black tinted epoxy (or a sheet of 4mm ply covered in 5mm black tinted epoxy), then cut them into say 6mm wide planks with the CNC machine, before laying these between the ply planks with clear epoxy joints between?

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:42 pm
by tech_support
glossieblack wrote:Would it be possible to make say 2400 long x ?? wide x 9mm thick sheets of black tinted epoxy (or a sheet of 4mm ply covered in 5mm black tinted epoxy), then cut them into say 6mm wide planks with the CNC machine, before laying these between the ply planks with clear epoxy joints between?
I believe that would work.

3 coats of sterling Matterhorn white, cant really see the gloss because of the dark warehouse. It looks pretty good, no runs, and very little dust. Most of the inside is going to be covered in Upholstery, non-skid, or carbon panels anyway

yesterday we taped off the whole boat 8O Dont want to mess up that pretty paint.

before cutting out, I put down the first deck strip.

Today we put down 4 more strips, and its looking pretty sweet I have to say 8) Will upload more pictures tonight.

Going to need more strips soon, will cut another 9mm sheet up tomorrow and get them coated

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:22 am
by tech_support
more strips. Have decided to try filling the lines with black epoxy, want to see how well it works before getting too far along. Yesterday and this morning we rolled three coat of epoxy over the top side of the strips to seal them up and give some room to sand down after the black epoxy cures. I will tape up under the strips with painting tape, but the mix should be plenty stiff to stay inthe 1/8" slot by itself - we will see :)

for spacers Im using some very large nails that measure just about 1/8" diameter, nailed them through some scrap wood, works great.

Installed a bow eye. Cut a recess in the sharp bow so that the scratch plate sits flush. I woudl normally wait until after paint to do this, but after the deck goes on, there will not be any access to the very tip of the bow (from the inside). I plan to have a custom stainless bow piece made that will slide over the bow eye and cover the sharp edge of the bow, so it will cover all this up after the hull is painted

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:37 pm
by garym
Thats going to look beautiful.

Curious as the why a thin layer of plywood wasn't laid first and then glue the strips to the plywood.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:40 pm
by peter-curacao
garym wrote:
Curious as the why a thin layer of plywood wasn't laid first and then glue the strips to the plywood.
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... 90#p338746

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:16 pm
by ks8
Hello Gary,

I'll add a few more words to that since it might be an unfamiliar topic to some. many of these designs are based around how plywood panels can be bent and warped - or to use more techie terms... plate development. Plywood panels, as plates whose shape can be *developed*, can be bent and twisted quite a bit, but there are limitations. There are some shapes that deform in two or three different directions at the same time, in certain ways, in ways which plywood simply can not follow. To achieve those shapes, with plywood, one needs to cut plywood strips or slats, and then bond them all together and fair the result. An example is rounded bilges on a hull (instead of a sharp cornered chine). Or in the case of this deck, it has a camber both athwartships 'and' from midships down to the bow. An exaggerated example might be to imagine a spoon shape, upside down, or a USA football cut down the middle longways. A single sheet of plywood is not easily tortured into such a shape. It can't be pounded or forged or stamped into shape in the same way as the hot metal of a *spoon to be*. With this deck, if a side view (profile) showed a straight line slope down to the bow, that could more likely be done with a single thin sheet or two (in halves), but the shape on this build is a curved slope down to the bow, 'and' curved down to each side, like the inverted spoon, an example of a shape that can not be easily developed from a single panel of plywood. So strips or slats or planks are used to develop the shape of the area instead. :)

Hope that helps explain it a little more fully. :)

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:28 pm
by Cracker Larry
KS has finally found his words back :D

To simplify it, try this. Take a flat piece of paper or sheet cardboard. Any way that you can bend that cardboard sheet, you can bend a sheet of plywood, but if you try to bend it in more than one direction at the same time it will crinkle and fold somewhere. You cant arc a piece of paper in one direction and then simultaneously arc it 90 degrees to that without the paper folding and creasing.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:35 pm
by ks8

:lol:

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:37 pm
by peter-curacao
Cracker Larry wrote:KS has finally found his words back
Dikke kus voor jullie allebei voor deze uitleg, 8) now find out what I said, or not! 8)

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:38 pm
by Cracker Larry
I was wondering what happened to all those words, I missed them :D Must have been the stress of the move.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:44 pm
by Cracker Larry
Dikke kus voor jullie allebei voor deze uitleg, 8) now find out what I said, or not!
And a big fat kiss back to you from both of us. Is that right?

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:06 am
by garym
Thanks for the explanation, now it makes sense.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:09 am
by tech_support
rolled on three thin coats of epoxy on the strips.

going to tape them off and fill the joints. Hopefully we will get a chance to do it today.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:17 am
by glossieblack
Looking forward to seeing how you finish the junction between the rubrail and deck planking.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:03 pm
by tech_support
glossieblack wrote:Looking forward to seeing how you finish the junction between the rubrail and deck planking.
There will be a red painted stripe along that joint, going about 8" up the deck (its going to cover up all the strips)

Made a test run on the strip filling this a.m. - came out better than I expected.

Thicken epoxy with silica
add white pigment
put it in a empty caulk tube
fill gaps
smooth out with a small spreader
pulled tape

I put a little tape on the underside, not really sealing the underside up, just enough to keep putty in there when I went over it with the spreader.

It looks good enough I may not have to do much of anything else before flow coating the deck :D :D

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:43 pm
by garym
I guess I was confused.
I thought what I was seeing were thin stips of 1/4 ply that were being applied next to each other to develop the compound curve of the deck. Next a light layer of glass and then the final application of the wood strips.
I always thought some under layer was needed for support and to keep the fill from dripping out.

Looks like you have that figured out.
Can't wait to see it done.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:07 pm
by ks8
you left out the very first step ...

buy 3m stock. :wink: :P

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:12 pm
by Cracker Larry
That looks real good 8)

buy 3m stock.

I'm thinking about doing that too, with the project I've got going on :help:

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:13 pm
by jacquesmm
It uses a lot of tape but saves lots of sanding.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:10 pm
by tech_support
$3 of tape is a bargain compared to an hour of sanding :)

Speaking of 3M..... they purchased nida-core about 2 years ago, we received a notice a month ago that they are shutting it down. No more nida-core :doh: There are other plastic honey comb cores on the market though :wink:

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:09 pm
by peter-curacao
Very nice! 8)

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:42 pm
by glossieblack
Wow! I'd assumed black joints.The white looks great.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:35 pm
by ks8
shine wrote:$3 of tape is a bargain compared to an hour of sanding :)

That's no lie... which is why I've spent way more than three dollars on tape. :lol:

The deck is coming along beautifully. Are you going to put some glass tape underneath between the strips, to help tie them together, since they don't have quite the same grainwise strength as traditional decking stock?

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:13 pm
by dbcrx
glossieblack wrote:Wow! I'd assumed black joints.The white looks great.
Black joints on bare wooden decks yes, but I think white on varnished decks is nicer. Although I may have gone for more of a yellowy/creamy off white myself.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:34 pm
by Cracker Larry
That's no lie... which is why I've spent way more than three dollars on tape.
Me too :help: Good tape is close to $10 a roll, and I use a lot of rolls :lol: Good tape is also worth the extra money it cost, and cheap tape ain't worth much.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:12 am
by Aripeka Angler
Your deck is looking nice :) That is one a sharp looking boat 8)

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:31 am
by glossieblack
Sure is looking good. What distance are those planks spanning?

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 pm
by tech_support
What distance are those planks spanning
about 1/8", the big nails Im using for spacers are maybe 1mm more than 1/8"
I'd assumed black joints.The white looks great
I did to, but it was a game time decision. :) Will change the upholstery scheme to be white with red piping
That's no lie... which is why I've spent way more than three dollars on tape. :lol:
took about 1/3 a roll for that little bit, so maybe 4 rolls of the nice 3M stuff for the deck.

Filled the rest of the gaps today. Now that I know the gap filling technique will work, I can go ahead a plank the rest of the deck

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:13 pm
by ks8
The deck is coming along beautifully. Are you going to put some glass tape underneath between the strips, to help tie them together, since they don't have quite the same grainwise strength as traditional decking stock?

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:32 pm
by tech_support
will not be glassing underneath. I may put a layer of our 3.25 oz veil cloth over top to help hold it together.

Im going for an aircraft inspired look, so i might put some "no step" "step here" decals around the deck

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:23 pm
by ks8

will that include little covers over the cleats with labels that read 'Remove before getting underway'? :P

looks good! :D

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:59 pm
by glossieblack
glossieblack wrote:Sure is looking good. What distance are those planks spanning?
I should have asked what is the maximum f'wd-aft distance the ply planks are spanning? Thanks.

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:12 am
by tech_support
glossieblack wrote:I should have asked what is the maximum f'wd-aft distance the ply planks are spanning? Thanks.
about 60" if I recall. There will be only a couple planks that will need to be joined from the 98" Okoume strips, and those will be along the outside of the cockpits and most likely painted over.

will that include little covers over the cleats with labels that read 'Remove before getting underway'?
haha, not a bad idea :)

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:33 am
by peter-curacao
shine wrote:
will that include little covers over the cleats with labels that read 'Remove before getting underway'?
haha, not a bad idea :)
Also don't forget about those :D

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:58 pm
by ks8
An ejection seat would sure add weight!

... Until its used... :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:51 am
by glossieblack
Question for Jacques or Joel – given the 9mm thick ply planking and epoxy jointing approach being used here, at what approx f’wd-aft distances would frames and intermediate deck beams need to be placed to carry the loads created by walking over the finished deck? Thanks.

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:46 am
by jacquesmm
As built right now, one can walk on the deck.
Later, Joel will add a layer of light woven fabric, transparent type, and that will make the deck stringer than it needs to be.

This a prototype designed "as we go". The hull was 100% designed with engine installed etc but we made decisions about some frames and the deck building method as we progressed. The main reason is that I took some chances with the deck development and it did not work.
I will propose a slightly different deck shape with the final plans. It will be a developable deck.
You will be able to deck the hull with sheet plywood 4 or 6mm and then add thin planks if you want that look.
I found a supplier for very thin teak deck planks. It is not cheap because he must manufacture them for us but it will be a real teak deck ready for oil or varnish.

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:24 pm
by jacquesmm
Here is another way to build a fake planked deck.
It requires to start with a developable deck. That is not the case of the boat Joel is building.
If you have a developable deck, apply your plywood deck and saturate it with epoxy.
Several thin coats are better than a thick one.
If you want to fiberglass, start with a thin fabric like our 3.25 oz. woven glass.
Once the epoxy is cured, get some pintstripes (decal stuff) from an autopart store.

Apply the pinstripes, coat with more epoxy.
Sand, apply varnish.

The boat in the picture is a Correct Craft being restored by one of my neighbors, Mike Sadlon.
You can really do what you want with the stripes. here, Mike covered the edge with the light fabric.
If you want to tape the edge of the deck to the hull, you will not be able to keep the varnished finish along the edge.
In that case, you can have a painted edge (gunwale) and maybe also a master plank through the middle.
In one of his previous post, Joel did post a nice picture of such a deck.

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:33 pm
by peter-curacao
Very nice, only thing is the wood nerve gives it away

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:55 pm
by jacquesmm
That's just what Joel said!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:58 pm
by peter-curacao
jacquesmm wrote:That's just what Joel said!
Sorry missed that, :oops:

Edit: can't find his comment either :doh:

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:09 am
by tech_support
Edit: can't find his comment either :doh:
I said it out loud in the office, not online :lol:
I think it looks good, but you can see its just white lines on a sheet of plywood.

More strips filled with white epoxy. This method works better than I hoped, there should be very minimal sanding needed before we can start flow coating. I dont think i can quite make it with 2 sheets worth of strips, Going to have to cut another sheet of 9mm.

Had a nice surprise this morning, Richard the Grouper Slayer (Aripeka Angler) stopped in to say hello :)

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:27 am
by Aripeka Angler
shine wrote:

Had a nice surprise this morning, Richard the Grouper Slayer (Aripeka Angler) stopped in to say hello :)
Thanks again for the tour Joel and Jacques :) You guys have a first class operation and are first class guys as well.

Pictures don't do your build justice, this boat looks even better when viewed in person 8)

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:30 pm
by Cracker Larry
That deck is sure looking good Joel 8)

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:20 pm
by Stuff
Joel
Is looking awesome. You should sale panels cut in strips for people that want to do the same.

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:51 am
by jacquesmm
i'm thinking of that . . . The planks could be cut with little tabs used as spacers. Once installed and glued on the hull, the builder will cut through the tabs and proceed with the seams same as Joel does.
It would eliminate the need for the spacers and the whole deck can be glued in one setting.

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:42 pm
by glossieblack
Presumably the process would be a bit like gluing down a sole - in this case get all the planks and glue in place, use weights on top to hold them down, and clamps around the perimerter to stop the planks sliding down the frames' camber?

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:51 pm
by jacquesmm
Look at Joel's pictures: he glues the strips to the framing.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:01 am
by tech_support
stripping is just about finished. the last few strips on the outside will not have a space between, they are going to be glassed over and become part of the wide red stripe that runs along the edge of the deck

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:22 pm
by glossieblack
Looking sooooooo good!

Edit: Just found this pic posted by Joel on Bateau's facebook site - illustrates Joel's approach to painting the edge of the deck.

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:16 am
by ks8
looking forward to the next update, when its ready. :)

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:47 pm
by robbiro
Nothing like GOOD Boat PORN to keep us wanting more!!! :oops:

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:31 am
by tech_support
got a few solid hours of work on the boat yesterday, today is the first day in a couple years where its too cold to work with epoxy (its mid 40's 8O )

glued the last few planks on right before new years, the last few are going to be covered up by a stripe, so I only needed to butter them up (epoxy) and clamp them on, no gaps.

Yesterday I shaped the strips to the sheer. used a circular saw set to just over 3/8" depth and cut it pretty close, then used a grinder and belt sander to bring it flush.

Next came the transom, then cockpits. Very rewarding to see the shape.

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:57 am
by glossieblack
Phoa! What a beauty she's turning out to be Joel. Clearly your planking method has worked out. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle cutting out the engine bay hatches and if you install drains.

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:08 pm
by Stuff
Joel
That boat is looking awesome! Love the wood strips 8)

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:25 pm
by peter-curacao
WOW 8O Joel that's an awesome job you did there! 8)

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:20 pm
by ks8
8) 8) 8) :D

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:21 pm
by tech_support

started the coating , will build up a little thickness of clear epoxy before shaping the stripe. Have an idea for defining that edge of the stripe that hopefully will leave a very smooth transition from strips (faceted) to a solid.

Today, i rounded the deck/hull joint and glassed it with some woven tape, came out nice. 8)

We will be demonstrating a new top coat on this boat, paint is scheduled for early February, so I have to get a move on :!:

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:54 am
by tech_support

rounded over the hull/deck joint with a belt sander. Would have preferred to use a router, but towards the rear of the hull the angle of the rubrail to the deck is very shallow so a router bit would not have worked. Look pretty good, will look even better after fairing :)

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:20 pm
by tech_support
Some mahogany ripped down to 3/16"x14" strips, using them to define the edge of the line that will be the red stripe. Glued is on yesterday and coating the boat with epoxy today. The stripe is offset from the sheer by 8.5". The little strip of mahogany was clamped to some wood staples (didn't have any small trim nails handy) then I ran a tin bead of hot glue along the back side of the strip (will be covered in fairing)

Also took the opportunity to fix some spots that needed a little more white

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:33 pm
by peter-curacao
Looks great Joel 8) , personally I think I would have made the red stripe slightly more narrow
This boat is gonna turn heads for sure, very cool 8)

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:12 pm
by Cracker Larry
Very nice Joel 8) What weight tape did you use on the edge joints?

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:07 pm
by glossieblack
Joel, is your approach to fair the 8.5" wide edge strip until it's paint ready, then to trim down the mahogany to what will be the finished red paint level, then to use mahogany strip as the finishing edge for varnishing of the ply planked decking?

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:53 pm
by tech_support
yes sir, that's exactly right :wink:

Yesterday made a long pull of fairing to fill in the stripe area. Today I hit it with the long board, then sanded the entire deck with the 6" DA. Put another coat of epoxy over the entire deck. Tomorrow, we will make a pass over the stripe with quick-fair

Pictures are after the sanding, before the coating...

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:09 pm
by glossieblack
Joel,

After sanding the stripe and mahogany edge, approximately how thick is the mahogany now?

The stripe sure highlights her curvaceous shape 8)

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:05 pm
by pee wee
It's looking great, but what about the thickness transition between the stripes and the border? You mentioned "We will be demonstrating a new top coat on this boat, paint is scheduled for early February", will it be so thick that it ends up flush? I think you've got another trick up your sleeve, looking forward to the next step.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:05 am
by tech_support
approximately how thick is the mahogany now
same as before, I only sanded off the epoxy, but after a few coats there is now a nice build up along the inside, like a tiny fillet of clear epoxy.

It's looking great, but what about the thickness transition between the stripes and the border? You mentioned "We will be demonstrating a new top coat on this boat, paint is scheduled for early February", will it be so thick that it ends up flush? I think you've got another trick up your sleeve, looking forward to the next step.
Will fair the stripe flush with mahogany strip, then tape off the strip before painting. After red paint is on, then will do a coat of two of clear gloss over the entire thing (wood deck, strip, strip, hull). It should end up looking like one smooth shiny surface. Thats the idea :)

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:09 am
by glossieblack
Looking forward to the next set of photos to round out the explanation of the approach. :)

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:33 am
by tech_support

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:11 pm
by ks8
nice details 8)

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:07 pm
by Rogerdog
Your boat looks really fantastic.

Are you going to cut an access panel in that big back deck to get at the engine for servicing? :doh:

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:30 am
by wegcagle
Beautiful job Joel. Are you going to take her to Boca?

The pink fairing side looks like Quikfair.

What's the white faired side? Is it a personal concoction or a different fairing product?

Will

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:49 am
by tech_support
Are you going to cut an access panel in that big back deck to get at the engine for servicing?
yes, I am waiting until the final epoxy coat though, then I will cut the big hatch. I have a buddy who is going to help me make a large SS flanged frame for it, should look awesome 8)
Are you going to take her to Boca?
Hi Will ................YES :!:
The pink fairing side looks like Quikfair.

What's the white faired side? Is it a personal concoction or a different fairing product?
they are both QF, "pink" just is not sanded yet

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:32 am
by tech_support
more pictures. QF on the deck stripe is sanded smooth. Sanded the clear epoxy down (again) and coated (again). Yesterday we added a radius of fairing on the underside of the rubrail. After that is sanded, its really just fixing tiny fairing things before we topcoat

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:21 am
by glossieblack
Looking good :!:

QF on the deck stripe is sanded smooth. Sanded the clear epoxy down (again) and coated (again).

Are the deck stripe and the epoxy covered planks level where they meet, or is there a slight 'step down' to the planks? It's hard to tell from the photos.

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:32 am
by Walkers Run
So cool 8) reminds me of my dad's Chris Craft.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:42 am
by tech_support
She is basically now ready for topcoat. A couple more coats of this finish primer (from the new paint company we are trying), then a light sanding with 220 - THEN PAINT :D

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:03 am
by Boater45
That is such a cool boat!! I WANT ONE!!! 8)

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:57 pm
by glossieblack
8) 8) 8) as.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:17 pm
by jacquesmm
As soon as the prototype is complete, I'll publish the plans and add an outboard version.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:44 pm
by peter-curacao
jacquesmm wrote:As soon as the prototype is complete, I'll publish the plans and add an outboard version.
Great! does it come with the instructions "how to convince the wife building another boat is good!" :P if so I pre order the plans! 8)

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:35 pm
by tech_support
Vents are from pre-war chris craft boats 8) Still playing with where exactly to put them ................

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:31 pm
by Joe H
Hey Joel, looking good!
I still have a couple of vintage Chris Craft flag/light poles you may be interested in, check out my last post in Joe's P19.

Joe H

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:48 pm
by Prarie Dog
Awesome looking work Joel, very impressive, pretty stuff :!: :!: :!:

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:04 pm
by gk108
shine wrote:Vents are from pre-war chris craft boats 8) Still playing with where exactly to put them ................
Does it need a blower to clear gas fumes from the engine space?

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:24 am
by tech_support
check out my last post in Joe's P19.
will do, joe. :)
Does it need a blower to clear gas fumes from the engine space?
Yes, it is an inboard gas engine, so it gets a blower :!:

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:46 am
by gk108
I thought it would, just not sure about how the PWC powerplant figured into that.
If those are just passive passive vents, I like the look of putting all 4 of them on the engine hatch after you cut it. That is, if there is room left after mounting hinges and latch. 8)
If they are going to be plumbed into the blower system, maybe 2 on the hatch and 2 outside of it, hooked to the blower. :doh:

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:49 am
by tech_support
I had planned to hook one of them up to the blower, but no holes are cut yet .........

I had not considered having them on the hatch, but I think that might looke pretty 8) I will move them around a bit and test the looks :)

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:17 am
by tech_support
Garry, I think you may be on to something..... 8O 8)

I think my favorite so far is the two big scoops facing forward, in the middle (would be on the hatch), and the two smaller ones on either side facing back

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:23 am
by glossieblack
looks as good as it is logical :D

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:08 pm
by wegcagle
I think my favorite so far is the two big scoops facing forward, in the middle (would be on the hatch), and the two smaller ones on either side facing back
Me too. That looks really slick 8)

Will

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:36 pm
by peter-curacao
wegcagle wrote:
Me too. That looks really slick 8)

Will
Definitely the best/coolest way to go, for my taste it is

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:01 am
by ks8
yep... looks good... and will function passively too when the boat is driven forward. 8)

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:01 pm
by Hope2float
Joel your spot on with that layout. Looks mean and fast. I love the bright work on the deck looks awesome!

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:46 am
by tech_support
guide coat sprayed on yesterday, and deck stripe sanded for paint. Will try to get two coats of red on the deck today

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:49 am
by glossieblack
Really looking forward to seeing the combination of the red deck stripe and the epoxied timber planking. And doesn't the trailer shot show of her lines! :D

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:07 am
by jacquesmm
They are painting the red side deck right now!
That paint looks great, Joel will discuss it tonight or tomorrow.

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:02 pm
by tech_support
two coats on so far, a third before the end of the day. This new paint is really something.... super easy to apply. Did not even tip it, just rolled it on and let it flow out. Will do a third coat of red today, then hit the whole deck and red with a coat of clear first thing tomorrow morning.

This paint is repairable, can be buffed and/or wet sanded, and goes on super fast. We did first coat in about 15 minute, did not need to stop to tip.

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:52 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Ooooohhhh that looks nice :D What color is it?

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:28 pm
by tech_support
HI Richard, its called "toreador red"

Once I am finished with the paint job, I will have more to say about the paint. :wink: .......

rolled on a third coat, then pulled the tape. Im pretty happy with the line revealing the thin mahogany strip :) Tomorrow will hit it all with 320 then roll on the clearcoat. the build up of clear coat flowing over the red stripe and to the wood deck should look pretty nice - like one surface

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:38 pm
by glossieblack
That strip of mahogany sure is a nice touch. And the paint sounds like a winner. 8) 8) 8) as.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:30 pm
by tech_support

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:29 pm
by pee wee
The boat is looking great :!: but a question about the paint: it doesn't look like it laid down as slick and glossy as Sterling, I still see some orange peel texture in the gloss (I assume it is because of the paint and not the painter). Presumably the clear coat will help even things up some. Is this a LPU or what? The quick coats remind me of using lacquer or shellac.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:41 pm
by Aripeka Angler
pee wee wrote:The boat is looking great :!: but a question about the paint: it doesn't look like it laid down as slick and glossy as Sterling, I still see some orange peel texture in the gloss (I assume it is because of the paint and not the painter). Presumably the clear coat will help even things up some. Is this a LPU or what? The quick coats remind me of using lacquer or shellac.
You ever built a boat :doh: Looks awesome to me, build on...

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:20 am
by cali123
That looks too easy, I might have to throw my spray gun away. I love that boat. 8)

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:46 am
by pee wee
Aripeka Angler wrote:
Yes I have built a boat, and it didn't turn out this good. :oops:

I was not criticizing anybodies work, and certainly not Shine's. This was to be a rollout of some new paint BBC will be offering, this was Shine's first time using that paint, and I was interested to see how the paint handles and performs. If anything on this boat turns out less than showroom quality it is likely either the result of using an unfamiliar product, or it is the nature of the product itself. We are getting a first look at what the paint can do, sorry if I opened my mouth to point out what I saw and asked questions.

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:14 am
by Doc_Dyer
Aripeka Angler wrote:
pee wee wrote:The boat is looking great :!: but a question about the paint: it doesn't look like it laid down as slick and glossy as Sterling, I still see some orange peel texture in the gloss (I assume it is because of the paint and not the painter). Presumably the clear coat will help even things up some. Is this a LPU or what? The quick coats remind me of using lacquer or shellac.
I have been thinking the same thing :roll:

maybe a C17ccx 8O

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:47 am
by glossieblack
As an Aussie I may be misreading local cultural nuances here, but I find Pee Wee's explanation fair enough. Re-reading the back thread, it seems to me that everbody is violently agreeing that Jacques's design and Joel's build are great. A new paint is being tested, Pee Wee's asked some questions about it, and I'm looking forward to Joel's reply. :D

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:26 am
by gk108
That paint job makes me ask questions, too...
Where's my sunglasses? 8)
What is the estimated top speed (mph) of that paint job?
What is the estimated acceleration rate (ft/sec/sec) of that paint job?
:D

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:44 am
by Prarie Dog
Looks incredible Joel. The paint is a little orange peely but some wet sanding and clear and it should look great. :D

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:53 pm
by tech_support
It does not go on the same as sterling or awlgrip.

Im not sure I mentioned that it was not tipped, just rolled on. I did not use enough reducer in the last coat, the previous coats flowed out better. The gloss is at least as high as the other paints, which you can see from the pictures, but it does not lay out the same.

One certain advantage is that the paint is repairable, so even if you get trash in the last coat, or it has more texture than I like, I will wet-sand/buff it. That is one big advantage over the sterling and awlgrip.

Im still learning this paint, and I think it best to reserve any more comments/conclusions until I finish up the boat. :) :wink:

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:51 pm
by peter-curacao
Looks great Joel, but can you please hurry up? I wanna build this boat 8) One question though, maybe I missed it but did you made modifications to the hull? because somewhere it is stated that the RB is not a racer, but putting in a 150 HP yet motor will change that I think? :doh: If so would it also work with a stern drive and a v6 or 8 powerplant?

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:29 am
by wegcagle
Looks amazing Joel. 8) Are you holding out the name of the paint? I am interested for sure. BTW did you get the Sterling color chart back? With the bad weather just wanted to make sure you received it.

Thanks,

Will

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:27 am
by Cracker Larry
BTW did you get the Sterling color chart back? With the bad weather just wanted to make sure you received it.
I mailed it to him a few weeks ago, it ain't my fault :lol:

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:36 am
by wegcagle
I mailed it to him a few weeks ago, it ain't my fault
I used it for a couple of days as well, but wanted to make sure he got it back from me. I had a UPS shipment from here that was in limbo......When I called about it yesterday UPS said, "due to adverse weather conditions the shipment was delayed and I can't say when it will be safe to deliver."

Then I told her Fed Ex was just here 15minutes ago.....She was not pleased :lol:

Good news is that some boat building re-enforcements just arrived 8)
For what it's worth the order still only took 5 days, even with ice storms and earthquakes :D

Will

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:37 am
by tech_support
Im not sure when we got the color card back, I have one here on my desk and it must be it.... its now completely separated on the folds into 4 parts :) This card has a lot of miles on it :!:

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:05 pm
by peter-curacao
Euhhhh please look back for questions?or not?

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:50 pm
by glossieblack
peter-curacao wrote:Looks great Joel, but can you please hurry up? I wanna build this boat 8) One question though, maybe I missed it but did you made modifications to the hull? because somewhere it is stated that the RB is not a racer, but putting in a 150 HP yet motor will change that I think? :doh: If so would it also work with a stern drive and a v6 or 8 powerplant?
peter-curacao wrote:Euhhhh please look back for questions?or not?
Peter, as I understand it, in order to take the 150 hp the hull of the Jetabout is different and more powerful than the RB series, and the aft underside has been designed specifically to suit a jet. It will be interesting to see if it is suitable for an inboard stern dirve.

Late last year Jacques advised that the 17' JetAbout prototype that Joel is building will be available as the JA17 (jet ski engine), and that there will be an outboard version, the RB17. Later there will be a a 19' or 20' boat in the same style for single outboard (RB19-RB20?).

I'm personally committed to a runabout style ST21 for shoal draft reasons, knowing that it'll be no speedster. But I'd love to see a powerful hull form RB that could take a V6 or V8 inboard, and go like the clappers. :D

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:08 am
by pee wee
jacquesmm wrote:Rough drawing is asking too much: the boat exist only in our mind.
Joel will pull all the innards out and we must measure everything carefully before starting a design.
We will almost certainly cut a fiberglass pad out of the jet ski and weld it to our hull.
From the specs, I guess we will end up with a light boat about 17' long styled like the RB16 but wider and a much more powerful hull.

Peter, it looks like this is a new design.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:28 am
by jacquesmm
peter-curacao wrote:One question though, maybe I missed it but did you made modifications to the hull? because somewhere it is stated that the RB is not a racer, but putting in a 150 HP yet motor will change that I think? :doh: If so would it also work with a stern drive and a v6 or 8 powerplant?
The JetAbout is completely new design. It is not a modified RB16, I designed the hull from scratch.
Once Joel finishes the boat, I will post they plans at bateau.com and add an outboard version.
An I/O with a big V8 would be too heavy, she is only 17'. The max. HP for outboard will be 90.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:15 am
by tech_support
peter-curacao wrote:Euhhhh please look back for questions?or not?
miss that, sorry :oops:

Jacques already answered, but I will just add that this jet while pushed by a 140 hp motor will probably only have the effective power of a 75 hp outboard. Still, 75 hp on somethign this light should make it go pretty fast. I would love to see a 21' version big enough for a V8 and a i/o

The paint is from EMC, they are based out of Charleston SC and actually there is a FS18 building in Charleston using it already.

http://www.emcllc.net/

We will offer it over our site very soon, and I will be making shop clips and tutorials. For a while, we will offer a good discount to our builders and members of this forum.

Oh yeah, they are going to supply us with plenty of color cards :!: :)

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:29 am
by peter-curacao
Thank you all for the answers 8)

shine wrote:miss that, sorry :oops:
No problem you've got it know
shine wrote: I would love to see a 21' version big enough for a V8 and a i/o
Me too! something like a Riva

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:44 am
by tech_support
Matterhorn white going on the side and transom. This time I was able to get the paint to lay out very flat. Reduced by 15%.

I experimented on the transom by tipping one side and just rolling it on the other. No brushing came out much better, so that is what I did going all the way around..... just a roller. This not only saves a $20 brush, but it means you can put a coat on in about 15 minutes.

something else I like very much about this paint is the relative lack of odors. We are working in the warehouse where the boat is, no problem. Our book keeper is very sensitive to paint/epoxy odors did not even know we were painting next door (she complains at the slightest smell of paint)

It covers very well, I really only need one more coat of the white, but i will be able to get three on today, then I will roll clear over the whole top and sides in the morning - that means no more sanding. I will then buff the dust particles out when Im done.

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:23 pm
by Boater45
No tipping!!! I like that idea!!

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:36 pm
by wegcagle
The paint looks great Joel. No tipping sounds awesome 8)
I have one here on my desk and it must be it.... its now completely separated on the folds into 4 parts :) This card has a lot of miles on it
Yep, that's the way it looked when I got it too :lol: It definitely looked like it has been well used.

Any idea with the EMC paint will become available and roughly the price? (Is it more or less than Sterling?).

Thanks,

Will

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:53 pm
by tech_support
Will, we will be adding it to the website in the next day or two. I am going to make a coupon code for forum members to get a discount. Price is about the same as sterling or alwgrip and coverage is same. Just finished a second coat of white on the boat and I have used a pint of color and 1/2 pint of catalyst.

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:31 pm
by pee wee
That is the kind of shine that boat needs, it looks great, Joel. Two big pluses with this paint then; no need to tip after rolling, and less nasty fumes. Oh, and quick re-coat times, that's a third. What about number of colors offered, or custom colors?

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:24 pm
by jacquesmm
Jamie (= orderdesk) just entered an impressive number of color choices in the database. It should show up in the paint section of boatbuildercentral.com tomorrow.

I saw what Joel painted: it looks great and looked easy to apply.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:05 am
by tech_support
came in at 7:00 this morning to get within the 16 re-coating window. Put a last coat or red on the stripe ( I had sanded through to primer on a couple tiny spots :? ), then put a coat of clear on the sides an wood portion of the deck. You can go wet on wet clear over color. Later today I will roll another coat of clear over the entire boat and be done :) There is dust in it, so i will buff that out later.

I have to get the boat to the metal fabricator and upholstery guy soon :!:

this shot is before the clear coat went on...

One thing I did not mention before is the EMC paint has a higher solids % than other paints, so it should cover more per volume. Could end up costing less per equal coverage.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:42 am
by Boater45
That looks really sweet!!

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:17 am
by 94'325is
This boat is looking great! I saw the boat when I was down there in January and even before paint/primer/fairing it was looking really awesome. I'm really interested in the paint that you used, I should be painting my boat within the next few weeks and if I can avoid having to tip that would be really nice.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:48 pm
by Doc_Dyer
94'325is wrote:This boat is looking great! I saw the boat when I was down there in January and even before paint/primer/fairing it was looking really awesome. I'm really interested in the paint that you used, I should be painting my boat within the next few weeks and if I can avoid having to tip that would be really nice.
http://boatbuildercentral.com/products. ... weRP_3xVT4

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:31 pm
by Stuff
Wow the boat looks incredible! Can wait to see it in the water. I saw the link for the Paint and I notice that they have hot pink and violet which were the colors I wanted for katenina! :lol:

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:04 am
by wildbill
Is there a color card/chart yet? I saw the link for the available colors.

thanks'

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:11 pm
by glossieblack

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:37 pm
by wildbill
Thanks' Great Colors

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:08 am
by tech_support
The EMC paints are up at BBC, first orders being shipped :)

http://boatbuildercentral.com/products. ... w9GBCck_To

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:58 pm
by Stuff
Joel

Are you going to put a tutorial on how to apply the paint in the "How to" page?

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:10 am
by tech_support
Stuff wrote:Joel

Yes, I definitely will write up a how to. :!: :) It will be pretty short though, this paint is pretty darn easy

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:21 am
by tech_support
Cut the hatch out yesterday. Widened the vent holes to their finished size. Getting bids on upholstery. Starting to put the control systems back together.

Im going to hold off on wet sanding and buffing until all that work is finished and I have all the stainless ready to go on

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:49 pm
by Walkers Run
shine wrote:
Stuff wrote:Joel

Yes, I definitely will write up a how to. :!: :) It will be pretty short though, this paint is pretty darn easy
I don't know. A video painting a cs25 would be more instructive. I'll the hold the camera!

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:52 pm
by tech_support
Ha :!: You know..... I was thinking the same thing :wink: I mentioned it to Jacques yesterday.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:01 pm
by jorgepease
Hi,

Looking great and might nice paint job.

I couldn't find this reading through the thread but what do you paint below the waterline? I checked out the link for EMC and don't see any paint for below water line??

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:44 am
by Evan_Gatehouse
A favourite quote "You can tell the amateurs from the professionals by the amount of blue tape they use".

I absolutely agree with this. Tape is cheap to protect previous work. Use lots.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:14 pm
by tech_support
"You can tell the amateurs from the professionals by the amount of blue tape they use".
and the 3M green tape is really nice, $10 for little roll 8O

Rolled a coat of EMC clear over top of the dash panels. Sanded the panels with 320, then just rolled on an ounce or so, done. Reduced by 15%. The are sitting flat so I was able to go a little heavy/thick

from that angle, you can see some ripples in the cloth :?

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:35 pm
by pee wee
Once installed, from that angle nobody will care. :)

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:36 pm
by Hope2float
Bad A$$ looking boat Joel, Looks fast just sitting there. Great work, but let us know about the wrinkles in the cloth. That boat might just be too good to say good enough. Thats usually my problem.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:59 pm
by tech_support
That boat might just be too good to say good enough. Thats usually my problem.
to paraphrase somethign I have heard before. I try to not let "perfect" get in the way of "great" :)

Just got back from the fabricators shop where we came up with a plan for the stainless hatch 8) Now off to buy some metal

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:36 am
by Noles309
Boat looks awesome. Saw it this morning while picking up my resin kit.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:48 am
by tech_support
Noles309 wrote:Boat looks awesome. Saw it this morning while picking up my resin kit.
Im sorry I did not put 2 and 2 together when you came to pick up :oops:

Started fitting the stainless yesterday. Getting it cut to length and marked for rounding/polishing. Both cockpits have kiwigrip now. Dash panels going on today. The boat will be on display at the Mt Dora boat show next weekend. It should be finished except for the controls. State of FL registration is also backed up, and I was told by the officer who came out for the vessel inspection that some new hull registrations are taking months 8O :x

after taking these shots, I wrapped the swim platform and the chine fenders with the same SS rail, will post shots of the later 8)

Red stripe and deck are getting buffed next. For the sides, i think its going to be a lot less work to just sand with 320 and hit with one finial coat of clear vs. buffing and more wet sanding - there were some larger patches of orange peel texture where I put a final coat of clear on before the one under it was dry enough.

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:24 pm
by wildbill
Beautiful Work Joel 8)

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:14 pm
by tech_support
took the boat up to the Mt Dora boat show this morning. Will be headed back up there on Saturday.

just a few of the boats this morning, I passed a lot more on the road. Really nice looking stuff 8)

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:36 am
by peter-curacao
Looking great Joel, have a great boat show weekend! 8)

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:46 pm
by JerryF
Joel, where did you get that SS rail? Is there an on-line source? :doh:

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:11 pm
by peter-curacao
JerryF wrote:Joel, where did you get that SS rail? Is there an on-line source? :doh:
His welder made it as far as I know.

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:32 pm
by Joe H
Peter, I don't know if Joel had it made but I do know you can get Stainless steel Rub rail at most marine supply stores, I got mine, (looks just like Joels) at Midwest Marine here in Mich, also Taco makes it, see link below:

http://www.westmarine.com/taco--stainle ... 24_001_003

Joel, boat does look GREAT, old school meets modern kinda style!

Joe H

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:21 am
by glossieblack
The simple SS rubrail looks great. I'm wondering how difficult it was to bend along the rubrail both horizontally and vertically?

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:21 am
by peter-curacao
Joe H wrote:
Peter, I don't know if Joel had it made but I do know you can get Stainless steel Rub rail at most marine supply stores, I got mine, (looks just like Joels) at Midwest Marine here in Mich, also Taco makes it, see link below:

http://www.westmarine.com/taco--stainle ... 24_001_003

Joel, boat does look GREAT, old school meets modern kinda style!

Joe H
Sorry thought he was talking about the hatch frame :oops:
Here you also find some online SS rubrail, if you search you probably find cheaper sources http://search.defender.com/?expression=rubrail&s=1

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:27 am
by tech_support
back from the show :) I will post some pictures of the boat show in another thread. The baot was not entered into any contest, we just had it at our tent/booth. I would say I was pretty happy with the way it looks, keeping in mind this boat was buitl to show what is possible with our materials/plans/kits, not to show how fancy a boat we could build here. there were plenty of boats at that show that had more $ into their interiors than we have into the whole project. I will post the final cost to build once Im donw, but we are well under $15k total material cost right now (retail) and that includes the jetski and the brand new trailer.

Peter,

The flange for the engine hatch was made by my friend's dad. It is 14 gauge 316 stainless. He welded it up from 4 strips and welded machine screws to the corners so it could be drawn down to match the camber of the deck. The hinges are welded underneath, and there will be a gasket going around the edge.

The rubrail is just 3/4" solid SS rubrail, pretty much available anywhere. I believe it was $80 for a 12' length

Hey Joe, I saw a "Miss America" boat at the show and it reminded me of that picture of your father in law 8)

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:52 pm
by Joe H
Joel, I seen your pictures from the boat show, I used to re-build those old rum runners, man that was a lot of work but what beautiful results, do you have any pics of the Miss America?
Joe H

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:15 pm
by tech_support
Hey Joe, I found the picture...

Miss America (it was raining), but I saw her running in the lake the next day 8)

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:28 am
by glossieblack
Have you had a chance to progress Jetabout during the last month Joel? Any update greatly appreciated. :) :) :)

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:34 am
by tech_support
yes, things have been quiet...............................

Well, the upholster really messed the boat up. In their rush to get the boat ready for me, the stapled the cockpit trim to the boat with as much care as a 5 year old with a nail gun. I was so mad I literately could not see strait for a couple minutes (I thought that was just a figure of speech, but it was very real) . I could not eve look at the boat for about 2 weeks :x .............

After a couple weeks I am now over it and I got back to rigging all the systems. Steering and throttle are temporally together, fuel system gets hooked up today. I ripped off the terrible trim job (looked great from the outside). Im going to get it running and then test it in the river, then I will put her all back together again

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:46 pm
by glossieblack
Sorry to hear about the dud trim job Joel. A few test runs will put a smile back on your face. :D Looking forward to hearing how she performs. :!:

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:21 pm
by tobolamr
Joel - Thank you for having the courage to post that. If you need to rant, PM me and I'll give you my cell number! :lol:

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:05 pm
by tech_support
Ha! I needed some quiet time after that.

Anyway, Im back at it. Test ran the boat today in the river, all the while the blue angels were practicing overhead 8)

Great news: boat runs on perfect trim angle at all speeds, no sign of porpoising :D
good news: boat runs f-a-s-t 8O
bad news: steering is worse than most jest ski's, which means its bad.

I only got it up to full throttle for a couple seconds, and there is still some play in the cable. Im 100% sure it will run 50 mph. I need to improve the steering before I do any more testing.

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:35 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Im 100% sure it will run 50 mph.
8O I hope you are still bringing it to Boca :wink:
I would love to take a ride in it 8)

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:39 pm
by glossieblack
Thanks for the update Joel. Any pics of her afloat?

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:29 am
by jacquesmm
Because of the weird steering, Joel had to keep her far from the shore and I could not take pictures.
I guess he was easily going 45 mph without pushing it and perfect trim, no porpoising at all.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:59 am
by tech_support
Aripeka Angler wrote:
Im 100% sure it will run 50 mph.
8O I hope you are still bringing it to Boca :wink:
I would love to take a ride in it 8)
thats the plan :)

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:27 am
by gk108
shine wrote: bad news: steering is worse than most jest ski's, which means its bad.
...I need to improve the steering before I do any more testing.
Does it need a skeg or a rudder or both?

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:37 am
by tech_support
Maybe both. :)

going to start with a rudder of sorts, found a guy who makes custom steering solutions for jet boats/ski's. The high speed steering was not great, but the slow speed steering was almost non existent.

A traditional skeg would probably make initiating a turn even more difficult, but a fin towards the center of the hull would certainly provide a pivot (like the correct crafts). A fin might cause this boat to swap ends a little too easily. Anyway, will start with a rudder first and see how it goes

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:00 am
by gk108
The Correct Craft style is what I was thinking about. You probably have enough vee in the hull that it won't be necessary. Bad low speed steering is probably why the jetskis all have big rubber bumpers all the way around them. :lol:

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:37 am
by ks8
shine wrote: ... A fin might cause this boat to swap ends a little too easily.
I'm going to hazard a guess that this would not be a planned or appreciated maneuver at 50 mph? :help:

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:15 pm
by peter-curacao
Can't you correct the steering by redirecting the jetflow a bit? (downwards) I would start trying that if you didn't already.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:33 pm
by tech_support
Can't you correct the steering by redirecting the jetflow a bit? (downwards) I would start trying that if you didn't already.
That would probably help the higher speed steering some, but it might also trim the bow down . Its an easy thing to try though :)

I am having some fins made that will attach to the nozzle. Steering problems with jet drives are common enough that there is a guy who has a business making aftermarket fixes :) So for once, I dont have to invent something. :D ...... Im at the end of my "inventiveness" for this project :)
I'm going to hazard a guess that this would not be a planned or appreciated maneuver at 50 mph? :help:
Darn right :!:

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:51 pm
by peter-curacao
shine wrote: That would probably help the higher speed steering some, but it might also trim the bow down . Its an easy thing to try though :)
I'm curious how that turns out, please post the results it if you tried it.

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:55 am
by deuce_454
How about a little photo update :-) ?

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:36 am
by tech_support
:D

I woudl but she is at the upholstery shop.

She is put back together enough to give her a real shake down run later this week (as soon as upholstery is finished). I went to DMV and got the title and registration last week, the registration decals are on order. Also have to install the new steering fins that attach to the jet nozzle.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:04 am
by Aripeka Angler
Down to the wire? :D I can't wait to check out the finished product :wink:

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:07 am
by tech_support
Down to the wire? :D I can't wait to check out the finished product :wink:
:D Well, you will get to see/ride in a mostly finished product :)

It still will not have the electrical system or sound system. The jet ski part only has a tiny cranking battery, so I plan to put in a separate 12v system for the "boat" stuff

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:20 pm
by Aripeka Angler
shine wrote: It still will not have the electrical system or sound system. The jet ski part only has a tiny cranking battery, so I plan to put in a separate 12v system for the "boat" stuff
I'm curious, will the jet ski alternator have enough oomph to charge two batteries?

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:28 pm
by tech_support
probably, so long as I was not running sound system on it. My plan was just to keep it separate, and have a small deepcycle battery for everything besides the motor.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:59 pm
by glossieblack
Really lookingf forward to pics and reports :!:

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:44 pm
by ks8
8)

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:29 am
by Aripeka Angler
glossieblack wrote:Really looking forward to pics and reports :!:
Me too 8) I'm thinking about getting one of those Go Pro video rigs to document the test ride :wink:

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:01 am
by tech_support
I have one :) Will use the head strap mount so I can look down at phone/GPS/speedometer

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:40 pm
by glossieblack
Somebody remember to post pics and reports please!

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:29 am
by Aripeka Angler
glossieblack wrote:Somebody remember to post pics and reports please!
Teaser :D I got this from Derrick via text 8)

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:52 am
by Walkers Run
Here's some more
These are sized wrong. I'll repost

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:55 am
by Cracker Larry
uh-oh :?

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:23 am
by wegcagle

I like this one 8). Hope you get it back and running Joel.

Will

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:45 pm
by ks8
Cracker Larry wrote:uh-oh :?

*This doesn't look planned*, came out of my mouth as they towed up to the dock....

Beautiful build, sounded good, but I'm guessing the smoke wasn't planned either.

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:06 pm
by Walkers Run
I like this one

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:32 pm
by ks8
Hopefully a picture like that can be taken again ... soon. :)

I had always thought the pictures made the boats look better than they were *live*. Not so. The pictures don't do them justice. 8) (but keep posting them :wink: )

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:59 pm
by tech_support
Thanks for taking/posting the pictures guys :D :!: Got the boat back home today and she starts right up for flushing. Not sure what exactly what happened but there is something not right. Thank you Bob for running chase/tow :oops:

After fueling up at the marina, we made a few runs to 44 miles per hour, 2 men and full fuel. Did not get a speed on the one run when everything was running right, but it was noticeably faster.

Steering is a lot better with the nozzle fins, but still not good enough, needs more attention.

Please email me any video clips you guys took (including the one showing the puff of white smoke :( )

Sorry to Bradley for not getting a ride, I shut it off and he jumped on board, then she did not crank up again. She did start back up later after cooling off at the dock, but there was oil in the exhaust :doh: Will take it over to the jetski mechanic this week and see what he says.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:38 pm
by tech_support
Mechanic says compression is perfect on all cylinders :) terribly fowled plugs and a lot of water in the oil. Most likely came from me turning hose on before starting motor way back when. Getting an oil change and fresh set of plugs, pick he up tomorrow :!:

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:13 pm
by Aripeka Angler

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:24 pm
by ks8
8)

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:35 am
by tech_support

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:22 pm
by ks8
8)

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:50 am
by captsomer
Nice looking boat! Great idea.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:57 pm
by jorgepease
wow that little guy moves!!

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:25 am
by glossieblack
Joel, Had a chance to run her with the cleaned up engine yet?

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:44 am
by tech_support
I have not :( it hard to line up free time, especially if I need another boat to run chase.

I have been working on the steering though. The old helm (from the jetski) was limiting the movement of the nozzle, so I scrapped it and have installed a true jet boat helm. Its a pretty stout helm so i needed to make a new mounting plate (goes under the pretty carbon/kevlar dash) I finished that yesterday and I just need to get the boat to the jetski mechanic to hook the cable up to the pump, its a PITB to do. The jetboat helm will allow me to mount a wheel and it has over 200 degrees of motion from stop to stop - that will give me A LOT more leverage in turning

old helm

epoxy on some block to which I will secure a mounting plate

new helm

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:17 pm
by ks8
No doubt it will be much nicer than handlebars. 8)

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:08 am
by tech_support
Oh, definately :!: The handle bars were never a permanent solution, just something to use while I worked the kinks out of the rest of the systems :)

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:24 pm
by ks8
shine wrote:The handle bars were never a permanent solution, just something to use while I worked the kinks out of the rest of the systems :)
Yes, well, I've certainly never been guilty of rushing things for the sake of testing!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:35 am
by glossieblack
Have you had a chance to test the steering Joel? :D

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:36 am
by tech_support
sadly, no :( no time ...........

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:22 pm
by tech_support
was able to run the boat yesterday :) My friend ran chase in his boat and took some video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHHq8O_XFuo

steering is now VERY good, not shown in the video but I was able to get it to spin out. Speed was better, not sure the mph but Im guessing 50ish. There is still some room on the throttle, and I was only getting 7000 rpm

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:07 pm
by RR
Very cool! 8)

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:21 pm
by Fuzz
I have really enjoyed watching this build come together. I no place around here to be able to use a boat like that but it does not stop me from liking what I am seeing. As so many others have said you have done one fine job! Plus I love it when people do things a little bit out of the main stream and it all works out.
Fuzz.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:45 pm
by wegcagle
Sweet 8) She looks like a missile cutting through the water. Beautiful job Joel.

Will

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:12 pm
by Prarie Dog
Great job, Joel. I have been really impressed with this build and your approach to it. Do you have any performance numbers on her yet?

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:04 pm
by ks8
8) 8)

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:50 pm
by tech_support
Prarie Dog wrote:Great job, Joel. I have been really impressed with this build and your approach to it. Do you have any performance numbers on her yet?
I could not read the GPS on my phone with all the sun glare. Speed seemed to be just about what we had in boca (44 mph), maybe a little better.

thanks for the compliments, it was a fun build, somethign very different.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:21 pm
by Walkers Run
That's too cool Joel. I want one. Great design Jacques.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:44 pm
by ks8
Nice motion shots on the video. :D

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:06 am
by tech_support
Walkers Run wrote:That's too cool Joel. I want one. Great design Jacques.

After the CS25, it would be like building a model. If you let me play with this one for the rest of the summer, i will sell it to you :D
Nice motion shots on the video.
My friend was very nice to put that video together :!:

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:34 am
by glossieblack
Very nice Joel. :D 8)

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:39 pm
by tech_support
some new pictures up in the gallery, uploading some new videos also. Tomorrow we will close early and all go out for rides :D So far I have had all the fun 8) :wink:

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:47 pm
by tech_support

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:31 pm
by tech_support
The jetboat is featured in this month issue of Boating Magazine :D Some pictures from the photo shoot.........

We will also be putting the boat up for sale. Anyone interested in her can contact me.... shine@e-boat.net

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:37 pm
by tech_support
The reverse hood on the Kawasaki had a plastic lever to hold the hood in the up position. I made this lever with a locking pin to do that same job :)

made from scrap teak and epoxy coated. A stainless hex bolt is set in epoxy into the block of teak, then a couple washers and a lock nut. Simple, effective, and nice looking.

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:43 pm
by tech_support

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:32 pm
by swifty
jacquesmm wrote:
AtTheBrink wrote: I would not put the jet unit on a flat bottom boat. It has been done, it works but it ventilates.

I am new to this forum ready to take the plunge into building a powerboat. hope i may ask a Q here.
i was wondering if the rb14 is able to get a jet engine. in the study plans
it says:
It's an old fashioned vee hull that ends up with almost no dead rise
so does it have just enough dead rise for a jet or not?
i would like a 14(maybe 12-16) boat with a jet engine. seeing as that is the cheapest propulsion available.
donor jet sis can be head for 1000-2000 euros( 100-120 hp)

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:01 pm
by ks8
Hello swifty.

Here's from Jacques, back on Feb 1, 2013...
So I'm guessing this particular design is something more suitable than one of the RB designs, *wider and a much more powerful hull*, for powering with a *re-purposed* jetski jet. I haven't been following if the plans are available for this one yet, but it looks like it would be the better option than modifying an RB, especially since it has been prototyped and sea trialed already, with good reports. See the craig's list listing while it is still listed. :)

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:24 pm
by swifty
ks8 wrote:Hello swifty.

Here's from Jacques, back on Feb 1, 2013...
So I'm guessing this particular design is something more suitable than one of the RB designs, *wider and a much more powerful hull*, for powering with a *re-purposed* jetski jet. I haven't been following if the plans are available for this one yet, but it looks like it would be the better option than modifying an RB, especially since it has been prototyped and sea trialed already, with good reports. See the craig's list listing while it is still listed. :)

but still think 17 is to long. bit wider is also not really what i want. in a perfect world it would be the 12 or 14. with maybe a somewhere around 70 hp jet.

or maybe scale back the JA17 by 10% makng it a 15.3 :D

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:12 pm
by ks8
That I don't know about. I simply wanted to point out that there is a design that they have prototyped already, and after trials, have said, basically, this design works in this configuration.

Maybe Jacques or Joel will clarify what other designs are suitable candidates for a 70 hp jet drive adaptation. Remember, without actually testing it first, it might be difficult to definitely say what will work with what, when it comes to adapting that sort of drive to an existing boat that was not specifically designed for it. And with that, I'm in over my head and will back out. I hope your project comes together in a way to meet all your best expectations. :)

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:48 pm
by jacquesmm
swifty wrote: so does it have just enough dead rise for a jet or not?
Apparently it does, see the video links above. :D
We launched the boat several times to test some small stuff, Joel has used her a couple of times on the week-end and some of our builders have been in her. She goes about 50 mph, no aeration, no cavitation in turns, no porpoising. great design ( I was lucky :wink: and Joel did a great job building a fair hull with the expected weight).
I must have written the words "almost no deadrise" at the very beginning of the hull design process. She has about 8 degrees deadrise at the transom. I remember starting with an old fashioned type hull with variable deadrise and ending up with more modern constant deadrise lines (=parallel buttocks) to use all that 140 HP and to match a generic jetski hull. It worked.

i would like a 14(maybe 12-16) boat with a jet engine. seeing as that is the cheapest propulsion available.
donor jet sis can be head for 1000-2000 euros( 100-120 hp)
The plans for the boat that Joel built will be available within 2 or 3 weeks. The boat is designed since 6 months but never properly drafted. I'll call it the JA18. I just finished the outboard version, it is listed as RB18.
You could use the RB14 or RB16 hull but it will be a little tricky.
The reason is that the RB12/14/16 have a variable deadrise (the buttocks are not parallel to the keel but the jetskis all have constant deadrise around 12 degrees. The rear part of the donor bottom will stick out more than on the JA.

Sorry if I can't explain it better.
In other words, constant deadrise hulls (jetski and boat) will match smoothly even if the angle is a little bit different. the cuts for the jetski in the hull will be parallel to the keel. The intersection is a rectangle, see the pictures of the cut. The intersection between the jet constant deadrise and the variable deadrise bottom of the RB14/16 will look like a wedge.
It can be done.

Do a search with the words "constant deadrise hull jet drive" and you will find comments by Sponberg. I use less deadrise than he does, I'm stuck with the jet ski bottom but the idea is the same.

How about waiting for the publication of the JA18 plans? You can always scale them down.

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:50 pm
by jacquesmm
No problem going on with this discussion but I may decide to split the topic. It will be easier to read and search.

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:21 pm
by tech_support
Its very difficult to get air into the pump, very hard to get cavitation. The section of jet ski hull protruded enough to make a pad and the water is clean going into the pump at all but the very sharpest angles. I have to say that I expected it to be a performer, but I was surprised how well she handles.

If you want to put a jet pump in a runabout, this is the design to go with, hands down, no second choice :D

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:17 am
by tech_support
Took her out this weekend with an overload of crew. 4 adults and three kids (kids were all under 6). The boat did much better than would be expected. With 800 lbs of people its not a rocket ship, but it still pops right up on plane and runs around 35 mph no problem.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:56 pm
by ks8
8)

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:30 am
by tech_support
Sunset on camp site and boats. Indian River lagoon spoil island

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:57 am
by terrulian
So cool. I think I'll have to go back and look at the build. Where is the anchor locker and gear storage for that tent? :D

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:19 am
by tech_support
I keep a small danforth style anchor under the rear cockpit seat. Tent/cooler/sleeping bags and everything else fit up in the forward cockpit. It was just myself and one daughter, so we had plenty of room in the back.

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:52 am
by Cracker Larry
That spot looks kind of fishy too 8) What are the 2 yellow poles?

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:03 pm
by tech_support
Cracker Larry wrote:That spot looks kind of fishy too 8) What are the 2 yellow poles?
Larry, the river is loaded with fish, snook and lady fish woke me up a few times with all their popping

that particular island has a few picnic tables and the sign in the foreground shows the group who sponsors the cleaning and upkeep of the island. The lagoon has many many little islands, many allow camping, some are off limits (bird rookeries), some have rope swings, fire pits, picnic tables :)

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:13 pm
by Cracker Larry
I figured it was something like that. We've been through there a few times but always slept on the boat.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:58 am
by crackedconch
Nice!! I haven't been island camping in years. My wife likes to tent camp, but the place has to have facilities.

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:20 am
by tech_support

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:08 pm
by ks8
Bateau calendar 2015. November. 8)

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:41 pm
by peter-curacao
ks8 wrote:Bateau calendar 2015. November. 8)
Here you go! :P

My Christmas present to all you Bateau guys and girls :lol:
Please don't be upset if your boat isn't in it, there are only twelve months in a year :wink: and it was hard enough as it is with all those beauties build here 8) Also I wanted to show the diversity of the Bateau.com models and the diversity of builders locations.
Do with it whatever you want, print it, use it as background on your pc or phone, or do absolutely nothing with it 8)

Happy holidays to all of you!

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:36 pm
by jacquesmm
Fantastic! Thank you.
Can we post it at bateau.com? With the proper credits to you.

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:47 pm
by peter-curacao
jacquesmm wrote:Fantastic! Thank you.
Your very welcome!
Sure you can no problem at all, have fun with it and hopefully it will grow the Bateau.com "family" even bigger! 8)

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:52 pm
by ks8
8) Thank you Peter! :D

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:59 pm
by JamesT
not knocking Peter's creative genius...but the dates are not correct :(

I love the calendar though

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:07 pm
by peter-curacao
JamesT wrote:not knocking Peter's creative genius...but the dates are not correct :(

I love the calendar though
Well that's sucks big time, I checked January all months after that not, thought it would change automatically. I see if I can correct it but probably takes me another Sunday afternoon :|

Edit: dates should be good now 8)

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:24 pm
by ks8
Since there will be a partial redo, can you add a small graphic of moon phase? Maybe the ordering phone number on the logo, and Vero Beach, FL, and the URL? Just trying to think of a few details that seem to be a natural fit in the concept. Or not. It is nice and clean right now. :D

Very good choices of a variety of designs and build locations. :D

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:30 pm
by peter-curacao
Ahum :roll: it was just an impulse I had! what I thought could be nice, but I see what I can do!! :? I have no clue what you mean with that moon remark! :doh:

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:36 pm
by peter-curacao
JamesT wrote:the dates are not correct :(
Okay I think I've got it covered now! dates should be good now, other requests maybe I will do that in a cover page, if not for gods sake use Google he's your friend, you all probably talk to him daily! and not to me :wink: :lol:

Here's your moon :P

Edit :
other requests maybe I will do that in a cover page
okay It's there now :P

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:20 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Wow :?

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:39 pm
by BB Sig
Someone walked on the moon?! 8O

Nice work!

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:31 am
by Cracker Larry
Very cool 8)

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:15 am
by tech_support
wow, I just saw the calender, very nice. Thank you Peter.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:31 am
by Aripeka Angler
That calendar is fantastic 8) I'm still not buying the moon landing though :P

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:10 am
by Joe H
deleted

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:55 am
by bateau-webmaster
Peter, please e-mail the images in jpg format to orderdesk@e-boat.net photobucket is kind of a pain to work with when trying to copy multiple images.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:11 pm
by peter-curacao
bateau-webmaster wrote:Peter, please e-mail the images in jpg format to orderdesk@e-boat.net photobucket is kind of a pain to work with when trying to copy multiple images.
Just sent them they should be in your inbox

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:03 am
by crackedconch
BB Sig wrote:Someone walked on the moon?! 8O

Nice work!
It was staged at a Hollywood backlot....lol :lol:

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:04 pm
by peter-curacao
jacquesmm wrote:Fantastic! Thank you.
As asked I did sent files by Email, but I can't find the post on Bateau.com :?

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:34 pm
by Cracker Larry
They are having web problems today. Paciencia mi amigo, pronto vendrĂ¡ 8)

For the uni-lingual that says patience my friend, soon come :D

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:22 am
by peter-curacao
Today? but I sent them 5 days ago :wink: I was just wondering thought I was overlooking it 8)

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:31 am
by jacquesmm
I'll check on Monday.
We are very busy with major changes in our shopping cart and payment processor.
The goal is to offer some plans as Instant Downloads: you click, pay and 30 seconds later you can download the PDF file.
It is working now.

Plus, one of our servers crashed on Friday AM. We are still investigating the reason, maybe Kim Jung Jung is behind it.

We have long list of things to do at the web site but we will create that forum section and post the calendar.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:55 pm
by peter-curacao
done

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:08 pm
by tech_support
no problem for me :D

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:38 am
by glossieblack
This was a really interesting build thread, and the boat turned out great.

Any recent reports or how she's performing, and being enjoyed? :D

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:00 pm
by FastBoat95
Where are the images?

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:02 pm
by jonnymac
FastBoat95 wrote: ↑Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:00 pm Where are the images?
many old threads have broken image links due to some server stuff, but here is the link to the image gallery

https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... play_media