DE25 in the Desert.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: DE25 in the Desert.

Post by Dougster »

What 'Brink says, you can fill that easily with your fillet mix, and gaps are good. Heck, I struggled for several weeks trying get the ply to bend around those molds in my lb22 build. In the end I had to cut some slits in the forward side panels to make it happen, so you're rolling faster than I did. Lots of folks here like the DE 23 and 25 so keep posting progress pics for sure. Nice build shop, BTW.

Watching from Texas Dougster

wilddog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wilddog »

Thanks Dougster,
Yes it has been a bit of a hurdle and glad ithas turned out not to bad.
Have enjoyed it so far and look forward to the next challenge.
Thanks for your help.
Tony

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Looks awesome Tony, good to see another bloke in oz building.

I'm building a p19 in Darwin.

I agree with Dougster.....sweet workshop! :D

BigEye
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BigEye »

Hi there Wilddog, looks like you are doing pretty well there keep the good work up you have a big job there. I am building a Novi 23' I am just over the ditch in New Zealand, Mt Maunganui. I am building the cabin at presant. All the best with your build. Garry

wilddog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wilddog »

G'day everyone,
Its been awhile, work and family issues have got in the way of boat building but will be back into it now.
Nearly ready to start tapelng some joints and was wondering about ggetting thinks fair beneath the tape. Should I use fairing compound to take out minor imperfections or should I still use filleting mix?
Garry, would love to see some photos of your project. I was actually born in whangarei. I will be back in the Bay of Plenty in early January, maybe we could catch up?
Hope you guys can help.
Thanks
Tony

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

No fairing compound underneath anything but paint or primer. It doesn't have the structural strength of fillet mix. I did all my fairing after the tape and glass. The fillet mix is no fun to sand, but if you need to put some more on in some spots you might consider working "wet on wet". That means have the tape all cut and ready to lay on before fillet cures.

Hopin' that's clear Dougster

wilddog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wilddog »

Thanks Dougstar,
Had a few spots that needed some filing, like the side sheet splices and a heap of spots that just had little air bubbles
or were a little lacking when i sanded back the chine joint. Perservered today with filleting mix and it has come up all right.
I'm hoping the more work I do now might save me some time later.
Thanks for your advice.
Tony

BigEye
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BigEye »

Hi there Wild Dog, yes I would like to catch up with you when you are over here, my ph no is 075755265 my computer skills are pretty basic, I'm not to sure how to send pictures. Merry Xmas Garry.

wilddog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wilddog »

Back at it again
Long story
Ready to paint underside before I flip.
May have missed it, but how do I scribe the waterline in relation to the base line
Is there a measurement some where on the plans

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I don't know from the base line, but from the keel measure up 14" and draw a straight line along the transom. Then mark the sides on a level line from there. A laser level would work best if you have access to one and you have enough room to move it out far enough from the hull or can move it on a flat surface as you go. I got the water line measurement from the study plans. The base line often has nothing to do with the water line as it is for building the boat and the water line is based on the load and carrying capacity of the boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978