New designs: pontoon catamarans

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

New designs: pontoon catamarans

Post by jacquesmm »

We are posting the plans right now.
You can see the 20' version here:
http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=PC20
The 22 and 24 versions will be posted today or tomorrow.

A "green' version is in the works: based on the same low resistance hulls but lighter and powered by a pair of Torqedo electric outboards, solar panels on the roof and small backup generator.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

AMC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New designs: pontoon catamarans

Post by AMC »

You might not like this, after all the time designing the whole boat, but to me, the coolest design aspect is those steps on the pontoon transoms. Not only functional, but a nice safety feature.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The steps are nice but there is much more to those pontoon boats.
The hull shape for example. It may not immediately look like a major difference but it is. Those hulls are much more efficient than the aluminum cylinders.

AMC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AMC »

I noticed that, the asymmetrical design struck me right off. It's a great looking boat. Considering the performance you claim, it is a definite contender for me. Those steps were just the best idea though. :D

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

AMC wrote:I noticed that, the asymmetrical design struck me right off. It's a great looking boat. Considering the performance you claim, it is a definite contender for me. Those steps were just the best idea though. :D
What's asymmetrical about it? the two hulls looks pretty symmetrical to me.

Tscott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tscott »

I agree the new design looks awesome. I look forward to seeing the longer versions. I'd be interested to hear your opinion of fitting the boat with a tow bar over the outboard and using it to pull skiers. In your opinion would the engine have enough HP to do this with enough zip to make it enjoyable or would it sap performance so much that it would be impractical? I know that is not really the intended purpose for a pontoon and I don't expect to pull a human pyramid but I have been looking for an all around family boat. Since my kids are so you a pontoon really appeals to me due to it's spacious layout, ease of ingress and egress etc. My only real beef with them is they are typically pretty slow unless you go with one of the 3 tube version in which case they tend to get really pricey.

Thanks,
Tom

Tscott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tscott »

peter-curacao wrote:
AMC wrote:I noticed that, the asymmetrical design struck me right off. It's a great looking boat. Considering the performance you claim, it is a definite contender for me. Those steps were just the best idea though. :D
What's asymmetrical about it? the two hulls looks pretty symmetrical to me.

Each hull is a mirror image of the other. The inside hull walls look to be nearly vertical. Kind of reminds me of my Hobie 16.

Tom

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Correct but each hull is asymmetrical. Look at the view from the bow, the inside has a lot less volume than the outside. It gives more room for the water to move between the hulls, less wave drag, cleaner water for the prop.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Tscott wrote:I agree the new design looks awesome. I look forward to seeing the longer versions. I'd be interested to hear your opinion of fitting the boat with a tow bar over the outboard and using it to pull skiers. In your opinion would the engine have enough HP to do this with enough zip to make it enjoyable or would it sap performance so much that it would be impractical?
You will need a lot of HP but the largest engine listed will pull a tube or a skier. Never as well or as fast as a ski boat.

I know that is not really the intended purpose for a pontoon and I don't expect to pull a human pyramid but I have been looking for an all around family boat. Since my kids are so you a pontoon really appeals to me due to it's spacious layout, ease of ingress and egress etc. My only real beef with them is they are typically pretty slow unless you go with one of the 3 tube version in which case they tend to get really pricey.

Thanks,
Tom
Again, correct and the 3 tube pontoons are ugly monsters. Our pontoon cats will go fast for their HP: fitted with a 10 or 25 HP, they'll beat any monohull but to get an extra 5 mph or to pull something you must add a lot of HP.
As every boat, it's a compromise.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

jacquesmm wrote:Correct but each hull is asymmetrical. Look at the view from the bow, the inside has a lot less volume than the outside. It gives more room for the water to move between the hulls, less wave drag, cleaner water for the prop.
Aha okay, I was talking about the two hulls opposite to each other