D5 - Bass Tub

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

I had a similar problem with the bow on my D5 and i also measured at least 3 times..

Image.

I found that the edges of the side panels did not match the sides of the bow transom. The top edge of the side panel was above the curved edge where they meet. I rechecked the length of the sides of the transom and they were correct, so i must of messed something up on the side panels... Since i was not going to recut them, i had two choices left. Make the existing pieces work together, or cut a modified transom for the bow. Since cutting the new transom was going to be my final option, i played with the transom and found that by changing the angle, i could get the edges to match and not have a large gaps. I was fairly sure, that on a D5, a couple of degrees from the design wasn't going to be a big deal.
Since then i have trimmed the excess wood and filletted and taped the outside seam.. No one would ever know i messed up, except for the fact i posted my mistake.

i have heard that building a boat is more art than science..

I think this part is the art of building a boat.

Disclaimer: This solved my problems but may not work for all.

Cheers.

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

[img]gallery/albums/userpics/11943/IM001231.JPG[/img]

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

Sorry for the additional posts, but the url specified in the galleries is not the actual location of the pic.... I will post the bug in the other forum

dinghyfisherman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Woodflour is here!!!

Post by dinghyfisherman »

My woodflour and fiberglass tape arrived yesterday! I've loosely "tacked" the bottom of the boat to the frames and transoms with drywall screws. This did confirm that the bottom on my D5 is not a perfect fit. My measuring or the plans? I don't know. I don't really care, I'm having a good time with this build.
With the basic hull trued and squared (corner to corner), I'm going to trace new lines at the overlapping points and trim those areas back. Then I'll tack the bottom back on, epoxy the inner seams, let them cure, "putty" the inner seams, let them cure and see what happens then. I'll give you an update on how this turned out in a couple of days.

v/r,
jax_dinghyfisherman

dinghyfisherman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Photos available...

For those of you following the Bass Tub, I've posted photos in the gallery...

v/r,
jax_dinghyfisherman

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

dinghy,

The boat is looking great.. I bet you are enjoying yourself..

I wonder can you tells us about the mods you have made to the seating arrangement.. Is that a seat down the center.

Are you installing the sailing option..

matt_unique
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Woodflour is here!!!

Post by matt_unique »

dinghyfisherman wrote:My woodflour and fiberglass tape arrived yesterday! I've loosely "tacked" the bottom of the boat to the frames and transoms with drywall screws. This did confirm that the bottom on my D5 is not a perfect fit. My measuring or the plans? I don't know. I don't really care, I'm having a good time with this build.
With the basic hull trued and squared (corner to corner), I'm going to trace new lines at the overlapping points and trim those areas back. Then I'll tack the bottom back on, epoxy the inner seams, let them cure, "putty" the inner seams, let them cure and see what happens then. I'll give you an update on how this turned out in a couple of days.

v/r,
I had the same bottom panel problem on both D4's I have built. Either I can't measure and cut or the panels are just a bit too long. It's not a problem though. You should be able to get the panel to meet up pretty close with tight stitches but you will have to sand off a bit. You will probably need to sand off just a bit at the transom as well.

One important point - DO NOT begin to filet without first placing adhesive tape (like duct tape, not to be confused with the fiberglass tape) on the outside of the boat over the seams. I made this mistake on the first D4 I built. On my latest (current) D4 I had tape on the seams to hold the putty in place and it worked great. You will have a ton of sanding to do if you do not use tape on the outside seams.

--Matt

dinghyfisherman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

So sorry... boat is done

:oops: My daughter and I finished the boat in May. I've had it out many times and love it. I think I've caught some kind of boat building bug. I'm ready to start another project. My wife says I've got to build her a deck out back first. I'll get the rest of my build photos up on the builders gallery soon. Sorry for dropping out of sight , but I've had so much fun with this little boat, I got side tracked.[/img]
jax_dinghyfisherman